Steele05

Cleveland: Retail News

Indeed the notion of pulling together two largely seperate retail markets should be on of the main selling points for downtown retail.

And (yes, here I go again) link the sides of town with rail transit, uniting the sides in downtown. Throughout world history, the ultimate reason for cities to exist is to be a place of meeting and exchange. Creating or attracting unique retail downtown, along with residential, office, meeting venues, idea-swapping venues and so on, at the heart of a regional rail system, is a recipe for economic potency.

Not like I am saying anything new, but it would be so important to link some of Cleveland's wealthier neighborhoods to downtown.  I get the feeling that we might be the city with the worst train stop locations in the entire country.  Imagine if the VanS had dreamed of linking Rocky River and Lakewood to downtown as well as Shaker.  Our red line stations, even the ones that are in more stable neighborhoods, are located in out-of-the-way places.  Well, this isn't the topic for these thoughts.  More power to the Lorain-Cleveland commuter rail!!  Viva el tren!

Back to REI,  a co-worker was telling me about an REI she used to go to that sat adjacent to a river.  Not only did they have the indoor rock climbing wall and other interactive elements, but they ran rowing/canoing/cayaking lessons on the river next door.  I don't know about anyone else, but doesn't this sound like the sort of unique experience and retail opportunity that First Interstate should be looking at for SYC?  To further set it apart from all the other big-bog developments going on around the region?  They could tie this in with both the Towpath Trail and the riverfront...brilliant!

The Cleveland area has horrible retail options, even compared to a city like Detroit.

easy there champ, you're comparing to a metro more than twice the size, and who continualy ranks in the top five of per capita expenditures.

The Cleveland area has horrible retail options, even compared to a city like Detroit.

easy there champ, you're comparing to a metro more than twice the size, and who continualy ranks in the top five of per capita expenditures.

^^ I know all this. Detroit is a big city with a lot of rich people. I lived/worked there. I rolled into Troy in my Honda as a brand-new Lambo blew by. I've hung out in Birmingham.

I still think the comparison is valid. I'm not saying Cleveland should have the same amount of stores as Detroit, but come on, Cleveland can support at least some of the unique options that city has. We have rich people, too.

And this isn't my point, anyway. What Detroit has is irrelevant. My thing is, Cleveland should support local businesses.

Well, this just pisses me right off...

Fashion retailer H&M to expand

3 more stores to open in NE Ohio

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Janet H. Cho

Plain Dealer Reporter

H&M, the chic-yet-cheap Swedish fashion retailer that is providing the entire wardrobe for all 150 people involved with Madonna's "Confessions" tour, from the backup dancers to the lighting engineers, has announced plans to open three more Cleveland-area stores in coming months.

More at cleveland.com http://www.cleveland.com

Well maybe we'll get lucky and they'll see the need to open a 50,000 sq. ft. flagship store in downtown someday, seeing as how this ring of new stores leaves a gaping hole where Cleveland and the inner ring are located.

H&M, the cheap-yet-cheap Swedish fashion retailer that is providing the entire wardrobe for all 150 people involved with Madonna's "Confessions" tour, from the backup dancers to the lighting engineers, has announced plans to open three more Cleveland-area stores in coming months.

there, fixed it.

Good to see H&M is positioning itself to be the next over-extended crappy mall store.

All we need is an IKEA, and we can start my new development "Jamie's Passe Shoppes - with valet!"

ahem, hint, hint   8-)

if any retailers in ne ohio are looking for more interesting tenants out there:

japan's most popular casual clothes outlet "uniqlo" is the new h&m:

link:

http://www.uniqlo.com/flagship/

one another more unique casual retailer is mexx, which was from europe, but is now owned by liz claiborne:

link:

http://www.mexx.com/mexxcms/opencms/mexx.com/site/index.jsp

go get'em tigers!

I don't know if this fits here, but do you guys think a modern retailer like Target could prosper in the Higbee Building? I know Dilliards used to be in there and then left, but frankly, I've never spent a dime in a Dilliards my whole life. It seems like those old-school department stores are struggling even in the suburbs.

Someone suggested the idea of moving a store like Target in to the building, and I thought it sounded like a good idea. There are a lot of downtown workers in Cleveland, and people love Target. I know I'd be in there throughout the week and even on the weekend via the Rapid. Target isn't afraid of downtown locations, either. I believe they've been dying to get into Manhattan for obvious reasons, but I believe they are also downtown in their home base of Minneapolis.

What do you think is up with that location? Is someone sitting on that thing for some reason? I just don't get how there can be vacancy in that area of downtown when it offers the most superior spaces.

I think it could do well.  It would serve the downtown populace, and as a discount store it would do well at the hub of Cleveland's public transit system.  But there is a Target opening at Steelyard Commons, which probably preempts a downtown location for now.

What do you think is up with that location? Is someone sitting on that thing for some reason? I just don't get how there can be vacancy in that area of downtown when it offers the most superior spaces.

By next spring the ground level Higbee space will become a walk-in visitor center run by the CVB. In addition, the CVB and Greater Cleveland Partnership are moving from their offices from the Terminal Tower to the Higbee building. I've seen renderings of the plans. This restoration work looks fantastic and openning it up will be a great benefit to the community and visitors. By the way - I also noticed a lot of work being done over the summer. It was especially funny to see workers wheeling the giant chandaliers around outside on Public Square and Prospect. I believe this project is on schedule.

Marc’s to add 2 links to discount chain

Related Links 

Marc's

By JOHN BOOTH

8:46 am, September 11, 2006

Parma-based Marc’s plans to open its smallest store yet in the Coventry neighborhood of Cleveland Heights this fall.

The company also will add a store of a more typical size in Niles.

The discount retailer’s 14,000-square-foot space on Coventry Road should open in December, according to Marc’s marketing director Day Armelli, and a 40,000- square-foot store is expected to open near Eastwood Mall in Niles in November.

The new stores will bring Marc’s total to 53 Ohio locations.

http://crainsclevelandbusiness.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060911/FREE/60911001/1073

^^ From everything I've heard, the move is on schedule ... but it seems like it's taking forever! Meanwhile, the Visitor Center is supposed to be equipped with info kiosks so that tourists can put together a travel itinerary, buy discounted tickets to arts and culture events, etc.

I was very happy to see the Marc's sign in the window yesterday on Coventry. Its great to put a local retailer in a spot that will do very well. Coventry needs that type of store.

Does Aldi's carry non-food products? 

Marc's isn't the classiest place around, but it sure is cheap and convenient.  Its a good store to have in a neighborhood setting (especially one with loads of students and young professionals like Coventry).

Aldi's carries non-food products but they're aren't typical, every day kind of stuff. Marcs is definitely trashy (I shopped there once - never again, because it's really an unpleasant experience) but a cheap store like that will be a good fit for Coventry, as wimwar said.

Oh, I'm not trying to downplay Marc's.  Every college/yuppie area needs a cheap grocer, like a Trader Joe's or Aldi's.  I was just wondering why Marc's, as it was (well, atleast in Columbus) like the "trashy Aldi's."

As much as I loved the Medic that Marc's is replacing, I can assure you that it was far from classy, either. Still, one would think that with the tenant mix in the neighborhood, something a little cleaner and more modern would have gone in. But I'll take Marc's any day!

No, Aldi's sells all generic stuff and you have to pay for bags.  That place sucks a big one.

Marc's sells all name brand groceries at a discount.  They also have a closeouts section that just sells random crap for cheap.  My friend bought a 37 inch Sharp Aquos LCD TV at Marc's for $1400 (about $700 less than it was retailing for at the time).  That was a rare case, usually the closeouts section is just good for xmas decorations and lawn ornaments.  But for groceries, Marc's is awesome.  Some of the older stores aren't that nice, but they've been cleaning them up.  The newer ones in the burbs are very nice...like the one in Rocky River or in Ridge Park Sq in Parma.

Sure Marc's are trashy, but they spend little on building aesthetics and equipment like debit/credit devices and digital cash regiters as well as UPC scanners. In turn they can offer better (cheap) prices. Basically lower overhead means good prices.

^Yep, and when they're too cheap to take debit/credit cards, they're too cheap to get my business.

Honestly though - I'm pretty sure that they hire only the most deranged-looking, crabbiest, hygienically-challenged, miserable, crankiest, brain-dead, sociopathic (or any combination of the above) people to work there. I don't buy groceries expecting to be pampered, or for the staff to be oh-so-perky, or know everything about every product, but oh my holy god - it's damaging to one's psyche to shop at Marc's! I'll gladly pay a little extra rather than be traumatized!

I like Marc's. But then again, I'm PWT.

I have been seeing a lot of press lately for Macy's, including something about their famous parade memorabilia coming to Great Northern. I wonder what the chances are of having somebody like them (or other Federated stores) moving into the remainder of the Higbee's building, or even May Co?

That's just my opinion on that strip. It would have been nice if something different would have moved in that space. Coventry isn't the bohemian center of Cleveland anymore. There's just not a whole lot of draw to that area anymore, in my opinion, except the Grog Shop.

If the Grog shop were to be replaced by another Winking Lizard, then I would see your point. This is at worst a lateral move for Coventry. IMO, it adds a store that improves the walkability of the neighborhood and reduces the need to get in a car and drive somewhere for your basic necessities.

"Coventry isn't the bohemian center of Cleveland anymore."

It hasn't been the bohemian center for a long time - mostly because the young bohemians did what they always do - grew up and got jobs :-)

Sure Marc's are trashy, but they spend little on building aesthetics and equipment like debit/credit devices and digital cash regiters as well as UPC scanners. In turn they can offer better (cheap) prices. Basically lower overhead means good prices.

Some Marc's actually take debit cards and Discover Card now.  No more checks!  Thank jebus!

I still won't buy their meat/poulty.  Closeout steaks just don't seem right.

^ Or were displaced by the escalating rents they helped facilitate and moved to the Warehouse District ... and then Tremont and Ohio City ... and then Detroit Shoreway and the Near East Side  :wink:

too funny. hey be glad you still have real bohemians at all. in nyc they have been replaced by the suburban hipsters aka the fauxhemians.

i'd put midtown and slavic village out there as fertile grounds for bohemia. yeah definately detroit-shoreway too. in fact at the moment those three nabes are just about nirvana for the DIY artsy crowd.