Cleveland: Retail News

Steele05

I go to Fitworks all the time. Their hours suck but they are way cheaper than Titans. And what will their prices be when the competition next door closes? Another $20 a month out of my pocket for a new gym.

There's a 24-hour gym down the street from me......

Anytime Fitness

11517 Clifton Boulevard

Cleveland, OH 44102

(216) 221-1712

anytimefitness.com‎

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

It will be a big fitness club, though. It fills the entire second floor of the hotel.

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

I guess this is a better thread for this. Giant Eagle Market District will be opening at Clifton and W.117/116.

This will be the second Market District Store in the Cleveland market.

a half mile from their other store?  And where is that going to fit?

^yeah...that makes no sense...who is the source (plus if the store is as big as the new Solon Market District store if will take up almost the whole block...what about parking...this does not sound like Giant Eagle's MO).

Market Districts vary wildly in size. I've been to most of them and none are alike. The Shadyside one is very urban and is the size of a regular Giant Eagle store. Others are mammoth but they seem to be building smaller ones these days like in Solon. That one falls in the middle when compared to others. There's also a new Market District Express concept. The first one is opening near Columbus. Since its in the early planning, I'm not sure what it will have or how it will vary from Giant Eagle Express stores and NEO doesn't even have that GE concept yet.

• 2 weeks later...

The new Tiffany store opened at Eton today. It has the lamest, most pathetic, most second rate assortment of products I have ever seen at the dozens of Tiffany stores I've visited... Uhhhh... the assortment leaves a lot to be desired... That sounds more polite... But if you like lots of silver... and tiny little diamonds, I've found the store for you...

Market Districts vary wildly in size. I've been to most of them and none are alike. The Shadyside one is very urban and is the size of a regular Giant Eagle store. Others are mammoth but they seem to be building smaller ones these days like in Solon. That one falls in the middle when compared to others. There's also a new Market District Express concept. The first one is opening near Columbus. Since its in the early planning, I'm not sure what it will have or how it will vary from Giant Eagle Express stores and NEO doesn't even have that GE concept yet.

I try to avoid Giant Eagle in general, for numerous reasons.

But from what I've heard from others, the consensus is "they are trying to be Heinens and falling well short".

5th street arcades adds several new retailers, nears 100 percent occupancy

The historic Colonial and Euclid Arcades in downtown Cleveland suffered from 40 percent vacancy last year, yet this year they added a slew of new shops and have gone from half-empty to nearly completely full.

Renamed the 5th Street Arcades, the once-moribund properties have been turned around by Dick Pace of Cumberland Development, who has breathed new life into the spaces by luring entrepreneurial tenants with fresh concepts and excitement about downtown.

http://www.freshwatercleveland.com/devnews/5thstreetarcades082913.aspx

This has been one of the most exciting developments Downtown in years, but it's happened mostly quietly.  I hope they make a lot more noise about it, because I want to see these entrepreneurs do well.

^ speaking about that; Pour, the coffee shop on the Euclid side, is building out their interior.  I would guess they will be open middle of next month.  Also, there will be a tea shop inside, opening in Sept. but I can't remember when.

The retail/services component of the Galleria is being forced into something whcih must survive on its connections.... which are vast considering it is directly connected to Erieview Tower and has underground connections to the AJC building and One Cleveland Center.  I would guess that at least 95% of the traffic in the galeria is coming from or going to the surrounding office space 

So, I hate to start speculation, but we are working on some estimates for AG at crocker, and it appears there is going to be an upscale department store included that is currently not in Ohio. I'd love to spill all of the beans, but please understand that I cannot. Hopefully an announcement will be made by the end of the year.

So, I hate to start speculation, but we are working on some estimates for AG at crocker, and it appears there is going to be an upscale department store included that is currently not in Ohio. I'd love to spill all of the beans, but please understand that I cannot. Hopefully an announcement will be made by the end of the year.

I always appreciate your inside info but a dept. store at CP and AG moving fwd despite the sale is not good news to me or the city of Cleveland.

But I'm glad you guys are getting some work from it.

A Hallmark department store?? ;) No wait, Tommy Bahama! :o

But seriously, I would bet Neiman Marcus, but other possibilities are Gordmans, Carson's, Younkers, Belk and Boscov's (adding a store near Bellaire!).

I always appreciate your inside info but a dept. store at CP and AG moving fwd despite the sale is not good news to me or the city of Cleveland.

But I'm glad you guys are getting some work from it.

I agree with you. I'd much rather the store be within the City, particularly downtown. And I do wish AG would reconsider downtown as well, but that's for another thread..

If this is true my guess is Von Maur since it appears to be the one department store nationwide that seems to be expanding rather than contracting.  However, while many claim it is an "upscale" store I really don't know how true that is.  I know MTS would probably laugh hysterically at that classification.  It certainly is not in the Saks, NM league or any where close.

I certainly cannot see it being Bloomingdales or NM (neither of which has an Ohio store) since Bloomingdale seems to be actually closing stores (I think they just closed one in Atlanta that became a Von Maur) and I cannot believe either one of those two would locate so far away from the far east side.

Von Mari has been speculated for Crocker in the past, and that would be my guess. However, Von Maur is already in Ohio, so unless that "not in Ohio" part of the clue is wrong, it is not Von Maur...

And either Bloomingdales or Neiman-Marcus, based on demographics and location and existing upscale retailers, would almost certainly focus east before west, if they were to hit CLE.(Not saying west isn't worthy... merely saying retailers play the odds and go where similar retailers are already established...)

Maybe there was location confusion on Von Maur? Still my bet. Nothing else fits... (oh, wait - I changed my mind... see below)  if not Von Maur and not the other two mentioned, I can't think of another that matches description. Unless either "upscale" or "department store" are loosely used....

• 2 weeks later...

With Apple leaving Legacy Village - there has been a very noticeable decrease in cars in Legacy lot during the weekday hours when I regularly grab lunch there.  Not sure what they have planned for new additions there, other than Ethan Allen and Granite City Brewery (both this Fall) - but they need a definite traffic driver. I have to think (with Apple always have 20-30 people in store + employees) they are losing 300-500+ customers/cars a day or more at Legacy - plus the spinoff business from those hitting other stores.

Then, at Eton, they must have adopted plan B of parking remedy when Tiffany opened two weeks ago - on top of Apple changes (to get employees out of lot, parking down the street at Stark-owned corner office building) because what was once a lot in which it was hard to find a space is now (from my daily commute by lot) one with dozen or even 100+ prime spaces during dinner hours.  I realize September is a hard month to read - with kids back to school, not quite shopping season, etc... but ast night at 7, and prior days/nights, you could have rolled a bowling ball from Bravo to Paladar and not hit much.  Pre-Apple, or even a month or so ago, you couldn't have easily found a close space in the main/front lot during same periods. Now, have your pick.  If Eton is still losing customers over perceived parking issues, it appears it is no longer the case.