Cleveland: Retail News

Steele05

@Mov2Ohio, I agree. I'll tell you one neighborhood I wonder about. I've often wondered why there isn't more upscale retail in Edgewater. I would imagine that they have the demographics to support it, with Edgewater itself, Detroit-Shoreway and the city of Lakewood all in close proximity. I don't know the exact numbers, but I would have to imagine that the demographics are there. The strip mall and old church next to it would be a prime candidate for "Legacy Village-lite" type shopping center and there's a large lot on W. 117th that could be developed as a department store of some kind or even a Whole Foods. The lack of upscale retail in the wealthiest neighborhood in the city of Cleveland has always baffled me. I don't get it. Maybe someone can explain to me why there's no upscale retail in Edgewater.

I would say its not rich enough, or more specifically the surrounding neighborhoods aren't. While Edgewater itself has a decent income level, Cudell, Detroit Shoreway, etc. don't have one. They have greatly improved as neighborhoods but they aren't ready for full blown upscale retail. Edgewater's zip code median income is under $30,000. Granted, that includes some less desirable areas but pretty much every retailer uses at least a 3-5 mile radius to judge an area's income level. Edgewater doesn't do well by using that metric. Lakewood isn't exactly an upscale city either. Its really a mix of various demographics. Downtown Lakewood has shopping, but I don't think any of it is really upscale. Having all those apartments in the area doesn't help from a purely income perspective. It helps drag down the numbers a bit and hurts its retail cred a little compared to cities like a Rocky River.

Granted, that includes some less desirable areas but pretty much every retailer uses at least a 3-5 mile radius to judge an area's income level.

Welp, that's it. If that's the criteria for most retailers then Cleveland is screwed. Goodnight everyone.

@Mov2Ohio, I agree. I'll tell you one neighborhood I wonder about. I've often wondered why there isn't more upscale retail in Edgewater. I would imagine that they have the demographics to support it, with Edgewater itself, Detroit-Shoreway and the city of Lakewood all in close proximity. I don't know the exact numbers, but I would have to imagine that the demographics are there. The strip mall and old church next to it would be a prime candidate for "Legacy Village-lite" type shopping center and there's a large lot on W. 117th that could be developed as a department store of some kind or even a Whole Foods. The lack of upscale retail in the wealthiest neighborhood in the city of Cleveland has always baffled me. I don't get it. Maybe someone can explain to me why there's no upscale retail in Edgewater.

Ohh boy.  I have been wondering why there has not been more retail in this area as well. 

I know the strip mall was held back from development for a few years because Giant Eagle paid the landlord rent in an effort to keep grocery from going back in there.  I'm not sure what the status of that ugly building the city owns behind there but I think it needs knocked down.  The city does not have the money to keep it up or repair it so bundle it with the old Giant Eagle and put in some apartments with ground floor retail. Everybody seems to like that building but no one has the funding to do something with it.

I have been eagerly awaiting news on that old JB Byrider lot on W117.  I'm not sure what a good fit for that is but It will be a good sign once it gets developed. 

I think a Whole Foods would do well at that location.  Sappelles and Giant Eagle are two totally different markets.  It really sucks having to hump it over to River Heinens to go shopping.  I just cant stand that Giant Eagle and Sappelles is good for this and that spur of the moment but that's about it.

We have not even touched on all the vacancies along Clifton especially on the North side of the street between W117 and the Shoreway.  That whole section where Truffles used to be. 

But hey, a Duncan Doughnuts is going in on W117 so the area has that going for it............

Cleveland has enough trouble, in a relative sense, getting key upscale retailers into Legacy, Beachwood, Eton, Crocker and with solid demographics all around those. Thinking they'll go to Edgewater or UCircle or downtown is a pipe dream, no matter how dreamy that would be.

Granted, that includes some less desirable areas but pretty much every retailer uses at least a 3-5 mile radius to judge an area's income level.

Welp, that's it. If that's the criteria for most retailers then Cleveland is screwed. Goodnight everyone.

And with that all that will be attracted to the new strip center the neighborhood development corp is proposing for that spot is a Dollar General, which I beleive they think would be an improvement over what is there now. 

I say it will be the deciding factor of the future of this neighborhood, which should be a premier neighborhood btw. 

If they dont hold out for something better, like what was previously planned for the site, they will be sorry.   

"And with that all that will be attracted to the new strip center the neighborhood development corp is proposing for that spot is a Dollar General, which I beleive they think would be an improvement over what is there now."

Do you have any citations for this?  I ask because I'd love to get the word out.

Maybe instead of wringing our hands about national upscale chains, we should have a retail strategy that tries to develop local retailers that can target themselves to the niches that actually do exist in our city by experimenting with product mix and size.

Maybe instead of wringing our hands about national upscale chains, we should have a retail strategy that tries to develop local retailers that can target themselves to the niches that actually do exist in our city by experimenting with product mix and size.

This would be fantastic.

Pursuing a Dollar General for Edgewater would be gross incompetence on the part of the CDC.

Which is exactly why Edgewater should have its own CDC, instead of being lumped into Cudell's.

It is definitely an odd marriage.  What gets me is that someone at the Cudell/Edgewater CDC, who's in a position to make decisions and speak for the city, apparently believes a Dollar General on Clifton is appropriate.  That's an even odder marriage.

^CDC staff do not make decisions for or speak for the city.  They are private nonprofits, and they often work closely with the city, especially their ward councilperson on planning and development.  But they don't do either of the things you are saying that they do.

Pretty sure I've seen them engaged in the activities I mentioned.  More than pretty sure.  The fact that they're "private nonprofits" is essentially meaningless; so is JobsOhio or whatever Kasich is calling it.  Is JobsOhio a state institution?  Not in the most technical sense, I'll grant.  But that's the problem.  Moving government functions to "private nonprofits" is a significant trend, and not one that I'm thrilled with, as it serves to block sunshine laws and other controls on government activity.

http://www.oldbrooklyn.com/FAQ.htm

This link provides a decent explanation of the relationship between City Hall and the CDCs.  In short, CDCs receive most of their funding from the City of Cleveland's Community Development Department and report to it regularly.

I don't think anyone proposed a Dollar General.  Willyboy was saying that if retailers look at income 3-5 miles from the spot that he doesn't see the demographics suiting any higher end retail, and used Dollar General as a hypothetical example of a store that would work if those are the parameters retailers use.

In short, CDCs receive most of their funding from the City of Cleveland's Community Development Department and report to it regularly.

Man, this is just wrong.  CDC's pursue a mix of funding from various sources based on their goals and the needs of the area they service. 

I love reading your posts but they often carry an odd degree of certainty.  :bang2:

What you said and what I said are consistent.  That link I posted explains your point, but it also explains mine, and they're consistent.  Why is this such an issue?  Nothing I've said is untrue.

Many government functions, like city planning, are being shifted to these sorts of entities-- this is not a conspiracy theory, it's a well known current event.  It's also perfectly, technically, legitimate.  But it has detractors.  I've thought about starting a thread to discuss it, because it comes up here and there but it's never quite on-topic.  I don't think it is here either.  But I was trying to talk about Retail News, and had no idea my point about CDCs would be this controversial.  "Odd degree of certainty."  Do you mean that in the statistical sense?  What?

For the most part people here seem erudite.  For a while I assumed everyone researched before they posted, at least before they contradicted someone.  It's become evident that they don't, so I've gotten in the habit of posting examples of sources.  I say examples because this info is typically abundant and readily available.  I've seen documents explaining how all this money and control is spread around.  Not secret documents, just documents, which you can see too.  I've talked to a lot of the major players.  They're people, you can talk to them.  I go to meetings, not nearly as many as I should.  You should too.  We all should.

BTW I realize willyboy's post about the Dollar General was hypothetical.  At least I believe it was.  You may not recall, but this particular CDC has come up before in similar contexts.  Cudell and Edgewater are very different retail markets.  That's what all this is about.

I was objecting to the word "most" in regards to funding.

CDC's don't get most of their funding from the city, especially the good ones.  I don't know all their balance sheets but I would say that if a CDC is getting most of their funding from the City they are not very viable or effective.

• 2 months later...

Though the location has yet not been officially announced by the retailer (though local media reported this rumor last Summer), Eton now has a sign in its interior mall that notes Tiffany & Co. opening in 2013.  That's the first semi-official word from retailer or mall owner. Rumored to take former Berger & Silver spot - and one interior tenant, Powder Room, formerly adjacent to this spot (behind B Spot) has already been moved, likely to accommodate at least an interior display wall, for Tiffany if not a full 2nd entrance - with main entrance Berger's former entrance.

I'm on my phone at the moment, but there's an article on Cleveland.com regarding a potential Beachwood Place expansion due to them losing potential tenants to nearby places because they lack room.

I don't know about anyone else, but this just bugs me. I'm sure one of the tenants was Tiffany's... I just wish more retailers would look downtown, though a lot still needs to be done I presume... Hell we can't even get a full service grocery store down here!! Anyways. I'll post the article when I get home unless someone beats me to it.

EDIT: here's the link - http://www.cleveland.com/beachwood/index.ssf/2013/01/beachwood_place_mall_is_lookin.html

I'm on my phone at the moment, but there's an article on Cleveland.com regarding a potential Beachwood Place expansion due to them losing potential tenants to nearby places because they lack room.

I don't know about anyone else, but this just bugs me. I'm sure one of the tenants was Tiffany's... I just wish more retailers would look downtown, though a lot still needs to be done I presume... Hell we can't even get a full service grocery store down here!! Anyways. I'll post the article when I get home unless someone beats me to it.

EDIT: here's the link - http://www.cleveland.com/beachwood/index.ssf/2013/01/beachwood_place_mall_is_lookin.html

This is a prime example of FC not trying to do a thing nor even trying to say, hey, we realise that we are central to the region and would like to provide a great shopping experience in downtown cleveland!

I agree. It's pretty sad that a company with the experience and expertise of FCE doesn't capitalize on the amazing asset that is tower city center... I had to drive to Beachwood today to return something from Christmas and it made me want to cry. For the life of me, I cannot stand going over there, especially when we have so much potential downtown for some of those places. I'm being greedy though. I'd rather walk from my apartment to those places than drive 30+ min, as would most on this forum I'm sure.

Speaking of suburban retail (because that is, better or worse, where CLE retail is focused at this point...):

Rumor on the street is that Apple store at Legacy Village moving to larger space at Eton, at the same time that Microsoft continues their buildout of 6,000 sf space at Beachwood Place.  Current Legacy store is sub-5000 sf and current Apple store size target is 8,000 nationally.  Eton just so happens to have a 9,000 sf space available between Orvis and North Face - and any move could spell more trouble for Legacy, as it is a big draw. This could be one of the retailers Beachwood Place missed out on, as was noted in recent comments regarding needed expansion.

Trader Joe's is also expanding avg store nationally from 10,000 sf (a bit larger than Eton store) to 15,000 sf  - and I wouldn't be surprised if we see Trader Joe's expand at Eton somehow. With Tiffany apparently coming, maybe Apple, parking that is already challenging, and likely additional name tenants on the way, I think it's safe to say that Eton may expand west towards the office build Stark owns on Brainerd/Chagrin corner in some manner soon - though a 40 apartment complex stands in its way...

At same time, at Beachwood Place, Clark's is relocating to larger, former MaxStudio spot in Nordstrom wing while their former  space next to the new Microsoft, abuts another vacancy (former Marciano store) and leftover space from Microsoft = about 6,000 sf that I'm guessing - just guessing - is being combined into one space for a new retailer. See's Candies is also building a permanent location in former Croc's store on 2nd level by food court.

At same time, at Beachwood Place, Clark's is relocating to larger, former MaxStudio spot in Nordstrom wing while their former  space next to the new Microsoft, abuts another vacancy (former Marciano store) and leftover space from Microsoft = about 6,000 sf that I'm guessing - just guessing - is being combined into one space for a new retailer. See's Candies is also building a permanent location in former Croc's store on 2nd level by food court.

The talk in the mall is that Michael Kors is going to be coming to the old Clarks space. Also Bakers, upstairs near the bank and Guess, is having a store closing sale. Im still hoping that one day soon, perhaps thru this hypothetical expansion, we get an Armani Exchange store in Cleveland. I hate having a quarter of the way across the country to visit one, and Im to the point now that I really dont care where in Cleveland they locate if they come here >_<

In regards to Legacy, Granite City Brewery has signs up that they will be opening this year in the old bookstore space. I find it interesting that that shopping center is becoming so populated with restaurants

And I wish suburban retail located along the rail lines. Imagine beachwood style stores at the new van aken. At least good retail would then be within rail distance and you wouldn't have to drive! Also would be a nice boost to ridership

That is a big wish to have stores the quality of those represented along Van Aken.  Stores that go into malls like Beachwood, Lenox, Short Hills, The Galleria (Houston & Dallas), King of Prussia, Bal Harbour, Santa Monica Place, come as a package deal and need an anchor tenant department store for brand extension/buyer exclusives.

The talk in the mall is that Michael Kors is going to be coming to the old Clarks space. Also Bakers, upstairs near the bank and Guess, is having a store closing sale. Im still hoping that one day soon, perhaps thru this hypothetical expansion, we get an Armani Exchange store in Cleveland. I hate having a quarter of the way across the country to visit one, and Im to the point now that I really dont care where in Cleveland they locate if they come here >_<

In regards to Legacy, Granite City Brewery has signs up that they will be opening this year in the old bookstore space. I find it interesting that that shopping center is becoming so populated with restaurants

I'd rather have a Missoni than an Armani Exchange.  Armani Exchange is not Armani designed or affiliated.  Hell give us a Zara, Top Shop DOWNTOWN.  Not my type of stores, but stores that whippersnappers and those were are trying to attract and retain would patronize.

Unfortunately the likely proposed expansion at Beachwood Place wil mainly be for outlots and other near entrance businesses that likely will not add much to the shopping experience of the mall.. So think even more restaurants and banks. 

You mention Legacy becoming more focused on restaurants, which seems to be the focus of every other square inch of the Cleveland area.  Why is shopping and stores not working anywhere there?

Unfortunately the likely proposed expansion at Beachwood Place wil mainly be for outlots and other near entrance businesses that likely will not add much to the shopping experience of the mall.. So think even more restaurants and banks. 

You mention Legacy becoming more focused on restaurants, which seems to be the focus of every other square inch of the Cleveland area.  Why is shopping and stores not working anywhere there?

I think legacy village has too much parking and it's not walking friendly.  I cringed when I went with my Mom to C&B.  Why can't C&B be downtown??!!

Beachwood Place: As for stores noted above --- Bakers filed chapter 11 and is closing over 100 stores...  A Michael Kors store was announced as opening in 2011 in GGP/Beachwood Place marketing materials - but never did.  Armani Exchange was actually announced as coming Beachwood Place tenant in 2009, but never did:  http://blog.cleveland.com/business/2009/03/retailers_ax_armani_exchange_a.html

The media reports of possible expansion did seem to focus on restaurants and banks - but it also mentioned 2 story stores in one of the various articles I read - and I am aware that GGP if making a full court press for Crate & Barrel when their lease at Legacy expires in the next 5 or so years. 

Legacy Village: Love or hate lifestyle centers, this particular place was poorly designed and is paying for it.  It also has had unusually tough luck with regards to retailers leaving LV who have completely shut all U.S. stores - into the double digits. It will be 10 years old this year... and appears to have become the 3rd choice for upscale retailers coming into market, behind Beachwood Place and Eton. There is also at least 1 ground floor space (next to smoothie place) that has still not been leased in the 9 years since opening - and even the one Charming Charlie finally took 2 years ago was vacant from 2003 until then... so leasing has been tough (having BP, Eton, La Place and Legacy vying for same tenants makes leasing competitive...). When leasing is tough for retailers, you move to restaurants... and I know a burger place is on their lists of potentials for areas around the new Granite City.

Recent word from employees there is also that West Elm was close to signing for space now occupied by Pier 1 - so we'll see how that plays out.  Claddagh rumored to be on last legs and Capital Grille has been sniffing around - they want the spot.  Container Store has twice had leases signed at Legacy Village, I'm told, but has backed out...

I'd rather have a Missoni than an Armani Exchange.  Armani Exchange is not Armani designed or affiliated.  Hell give us a Zara, Top Shop DOWNTOWN.  Not my type of stores, but stores that whippersnappers and those were are trying to attract and retain would patronize.

UGH. i dont even want to think about that. my two fav brands to wear are A|X and Topman (topshop). as much as id go insane for a store downtown, and im sure i would personally keep them in business if they located here, i think that would be a huge long shot. they only recently opened their third US store in LV, adding to NYC and Chicago. I expect to see them opening in some other markets before i see them opening up here...

UGH. i dont even want to think about that. my two fav brands to wear are A|X and Topman (topshop). as much as id go insane for a store downtown, and im sure i would personally keep them in business if they located here, i think that would be a huge long shot. they only recently opened their third US store in LV, adding to NYC and Chicago. I expect to see them opening in some other markets before i see them opening up here...

Armani Exchange is nothing but a Italian Polo.  The products aren't even nice.  All that branding all over the products.  Ick!

Even thought TS is only in three cities in the US, IIRC they have stores inside Nordstroms.

Topshop is an odd one. I don't think they have their US strategy totally established yet. They seem to want to compete with H&M, Zara, Forever 21 and Urban Outfitters, but the pricepoints are often significantly higher. I'm told they only plan on opening 3 more US stores (Las Vegas, LA, and Miami) and will focus on their distribution deal with Nordstrom. But even with Nordstrom, they do not offer Topshop/Topman in all their stores...just certain markets.

I am surprised we do not yet have a Zara in Ohio. This chain be a great fit at several shopping malls in our state.

I'm over Armani Exchange. That's a dying brand IMO.

Topshop is an odd one. I don't think they have their US strategy totally established yet. They seem to want to compete with H&M, Zara, Forever 21 and Urban Outfitters, but the pricepoints are often significantly higher. I'm told they only plan on opening 3 more US stores (Las Vegas, LA, and Miami) and will focus on their distribution deal with Nordstrom. But even with Nordstrom, they do not offer Topshop/Topman in all their stores...just certain markets.

I am surprised we do not yet have a Zara in Ohio. This chain be a great fit at several shopping malls in our state.

I'm over Armani Exchange. That's a dying brand IMO.

#firstworldproblems  #20somethingproblems    LMAO!

1st food trucks, now T-shirt trucks? Fresh Brewed Tees owner adds retail truck in downtown Cleveland

CLEVELAND - The birth of food trucks in Cleveland a couple years has sparked a whole new concept on wheels – a T-shirt truck.

Tony Madalone, the owner of Fresh Brewed Tees – a Cleveland-based and -focused clothing operation – announced he’s expanding his business to include a retail truck.

Madalone, who owns a store at the South Park Mall in Strongsville, said he’s been looking for a retail location in Cleveland’s hot spots – East 4th/Gateway, Warehouse District, Ohio City, Tremont, etc. – and couldn’t decide on which one.

Read more: http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/local_news/cleveland_metro/1st-food-trucks-now-t-shirt-trucks-fresh-brewed-tees-owner-adds-retail-truck-in-downtown-cleveland#ixzz2IGbl0qix

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if this is the right place to put this:

http://www.downtowncleveland.com/business/charter-one-small-business-grant-program.aspx

Charter One Small Business Grant Program at 5th Street Arcades

Small business entrepreneurs have an opportunity to secure grants to help their companies grow or launch in downtown Cleveland through the Downtown Cleveland Alliance 5th Street Arcades Retail Development Grant Competition in the Gateway neighborhood. The competition is a program of the Charter One Growing Communities initiative, a project aimed at boosting economic and neighborhood development.

^Looks like the right place to me-- thanks for flagging this. Great news.

Cleveland.com now has a story on this too, with some updates on Pace's progress:

Retail grant competition aims to repopulate 5th Street Arcades in downtown Cleveland

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2013/01/retail_grant_competition_aims.html#incart_river_default

Fifth Street Arcades? I have never heard the Colonial and Euclid arcades described that way before.

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

Fifth Street Arcades? I have never heard the Colonial and Euclid arcades described that way before.

Me either, until a few people here started referring to them as such. 

I love the name change.  Helps distinguish this complex from the other one.  And I really love the direct support of downtown retail, which is a major step forward. 

I personally do not think there is confusion.  It's ignorance!  I've said this in other threads, we have almost two generations of people who haven't experienced downtown shopping so when you say "the arcade" they assume you're talking about the Cleveland Arcade, not knowing there are two others.

I think rebranding is a solid response to those issues.

why make it easy because people are to lazy to learn the differences? 

You play.  To win.  The game. 

6th street is good too, but I prefer 5th street because it clearly conveys "adjacent to east 4th" and "distinct from east 6th."  This whole story is a big pile of positive, in my view.

^I'm with you.  We can quibble about 5th or 6th street arcades or whatever, but above all I am just so, so happy that "Colonial Marketplace" is dead and that the retail space is out of the cheesy hands that coined it.  The ends of the arcades are definitely due for something a little more conspicuous, though tasteful.  I'm pretty excited by this whole thing.

I don't think this has been mentioned here, but Mr. Broccoli got an e-mail from Eddie Bauer saying that the Beachwood Mall location had closed.

Also, maybe there's a separate retail thread for Akron (don't feel like searching on my phone), but the Williams-Sonoma at Summit Mall closed.

Not surprised by the Eddie Bauer closing, which I noticed the other day when there - times have changed for this retailer... Anyway.. Beachwood Place has about a half dozen actual vacancies/closing stores, including the closed-for-a-year M&S restaurant out front - plus 3-4 other service or seasonal outlets that likely are short term lease types, should something else more long term be interested.  At the same time, they are turning away prospective retailers due to lack of right space, right tenant adjacency, etc.. - and therefore seeking expansion of some sort. Funny how that works.

At Eton, a dumpster showed up this week in front of the (apparently, though still not officially announced) Tiffany & Co spot - the former Berger & Silver - and the doors have been opened, emptying out the store for what is likely a significant makeover. Here's an exterior shot of one of their recently opened lifestyle center stores, similarly-sized... wonder if store will look more updated like this one vs. more traditional TCO past stores...?

http://www.trademarkproperty.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/property-full/images/Tiffany%20Opening%2012-10rev_web.jpg