zaceman

Cleveland: Tremont: Development and News

I'm fairly certain that they're hoping to renovate Brown's Market over by Lucky's into some kind of organic grocery (in addition to the outdoor farmer's market across the street). Can't remember where I heard that first, but I heard it confirmed by a very reliable source who made it sound like it was fairly definite. Anyone else recall this?

(though I won't set foot in there), Wal-Mart

Could that have anything to do with the fact that they sell Dortmunder 12-packs for an outrageous $14.99 (everyday low prices my arse)?

Walmart has the lowest prices for everything EXCEPT tobacco and alcohol. I've never understood why, but its definately the case.

Maybe because they don't buy the alcohol and tobacco from China, Malaysia or Zimbabwe and don't know how to buy/distribute from domestic suppliers!

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Target pays their employees a lot more (like 12 bucks an hour I believe..), whereas Wal-mart pays close to minimum wage, especially in the small towns they exploit.

I looked Tremont up on google earth; wow, the place looks really isolated.

Not really. Maybe for walking it is, but it's easy to bike to/from and transit is frequent from Ohio City, the Rapid station and Old Brooklyn.

Visible Voice in Tremont offers bookstore relief

Friday, August 10, 2007

Laura DeMarco

Plain Dealer Columnist

Book some time to stop at Visible Voice during tonight's Tremont art walk.

It's not a gallery, but it is one of the neighborhood's most interesting new spaces -- and Shop Talk's favorite stop during last month's art trek. Crowds buzzed, book lovers browsed, an author signed, and wine and cheese were served with a partylike vibe at the cozy-hip restored home on tree-lined Kenilworth Avenue.

More at cleveland.com http://www.cleveland.com

Does anyone have any details on the work that is going on to the old Browns Market down Starkweather from Lucky's, is it going to be a grocer, like suggested?  If so that would be great finally a grocery store that I could walk to.  Also does anyone know how many units are going to be built as part of Starkweather Place, does it involve just the corner where they are currently building?  They are making quite a bit of progress and already have one sold sign in the windows.

There were articles out a while stating that it was going to be a home-made chocolate store - Lilly's or something like that and that the owners were going to live above it. 

That's great.

Now if Keith would just get around to returning my calls/letters/faxes in regard to my security deposit....  :roll:

Thanks! Enjoy the neighborhood.

Found the following rendering on PURE's website; it looks like new residential development is starting to make into South Tremont. There isn't much info on the site, so I'm not sure if this development is any more extensive than these four townhomes.  I don't know really know this area, but it seems good to see something happening south of 490.

Found the following rendering on PURE's website; it looks like new residential development is starting to make into South Tremont. There isn't much info on the site, so I'm not sure if this development is any more extensive than these four townhomes.  I don't know really know this area, but it seems good to see something happening south of 490.

Nothing special in the rendering though...

According to Progressive Urban's site, they're planning to build 20 of those. Can't say I'm "wowed" by the design but they look alright enough. They'll be close to the pedestrian bridge that goes over 490 which puts them in walking distance of the bars and restaurants.

I'm pretty sure that they are on some land that goes down towards Clark Fields. I believe that the garage issue is due to the constraints of the parcel sizes.

Any word on who is building these?

I might be wrong, but I think that Keith Brown or the other guy at PURE is one of the main principals. I think that the same group is looking at building 5 homes on W.45th St in Ohio (on contiguous, vacant parcels).

I might be wrong, but I think that Keith Brown or the other guy at PURE is one of the main principals.

Don't you mean Keith Sutton?

I'm guessing that the Ohio City project is being done by the same guys because the name of the LLC for the OC project is 11th St. Properties (or something like that).

I've seen the 11th Street Properties listed on a recent BOZA agenda...

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/bza/agenda/2008/crr032408.html

BOARD OF ZONING APPEALS

March 24, 2008

9:30     Ward 13

Calendar No. 08-32:        905 Fruit Avenue  Joe Cimperman

6 Notices

West 11th Street Properties LLC appeal to construct a single family dwelling unit, proposed to be on a 30’ x 150’ parcel located in a Two-Family District on the south side of Fruit Avenue at 905 Fruit Avenue; subject to the regulations in Section 357.09(b)(1), no main building shall be erected less than 10 feet from another main building on an adjoining lot; and contrary to the Regulations for Yards and Courts, the aggregate width of the east and west side yards equals 6 feet and all main buildings shall have an aggregate width of 10 feet, according to the provisions of Section 357.09(2)(B) of the Codified Ordinances. (Filed 2-20-08)

Calendar No. 08-33:      1880 West 45th Street  Joe Cimperman

15 Notices

West 11th Street Properties LLC appeal to construct a single family dwelling unit, proposed to be on a 36.25’ x 132’ parcel located in a Two-Family District on the west side of West 45th Street at 1880 West 45th Street; contrary to Section 355.04(a) a lot size of 4,791 square feet is provided and 4,800 square feet is required; and interior side yards of 2 foot 3 inches and 9 feet are provided, where an aggregate of 10 feet with a 3 foot minimum is required, according to the provisions of Section 357.09(2)(b) of the Codified Ordinances. (Filed 2-20-08)

Calendar No. 08-34:        1894 West 45th Street  Joe Cimperman

15 Notices

West 11th Street Properties LLC appeal to construct a single family dwelling unit, proposed to be on a 35’ x 132’ parcel located in a Two-Family District on the west side of West 45th Street at 1894 West 45th Street; contrary to Section 355.04(a) a lot size of 4,620 square feet is provided and 4,800 square feet is required; and interior side yards of 1 foot and 9 feet are provided, where an aggregate of 10 feet with a 3 foot minimum is required, according to the provisions of Section 357.09(2)(b) of the Codified Ordinances. (Filed 2-20-08)   

9:30    

Calendar No. 08-35:          1884 West 45th Street  Ward 13

West 11th Street Properties LLC appeal to construct a single family dwelling unit, proposed to be on a 36.25’ x 132’ parcel located in a Two-Family District on the west side of West 45th Street at 1884 West 45th Street; contrary to Section 355.04(a) a lot size of 4,785 square feet is provided where 4,800 square feet is required; and interior side yards of 2 foot 3 inches and 9 feet are provided, where an aggregate of 10 feet with a 3 foot minimum is required, according to the provisions of Section 357.09(2)(b) of the Codified Ordinances. (Filed 2-20-08)

Calendar No. 08-36:        1888 West 45th Street  Ward 13

West 11th Street Properties LLC appeal to construct a single family dwelling unit, proposed to be on a 36.25’ x 132’ parcel located in a Two-Family District on the west side of West 45th Street at 1888 West 45th Street; contrary to Section 355.04(a) a lot size of 4,785 square feet is provided where 4,800 square feet is required; and interior side yards of 2 feet 3 inches and 9 feet are provided, where an aggregate of 10 feet with a 3 foot minimum is required, according to the provisions of Section 357.09(2)(b) of the Codified Ordinances. 

Calendar No. 08-37:         1892 West 45th Street Ward 13

West 11th Street Properties LLC appeal to construct a single family dwelling unit, proposed to be on a 36.25’ x 132’ parcel located in a Two-Family District on the west side of West 45th Street at 1892 West 45th Street; contrary to Section 355.04(a) a lot size of 4,785 square feet is provided and 4,800 square feet is required; and interior side yards of 2 feet 3 inches and 9 feet are provided, where an aggregate of 10 feet with a 3 foot minimum is required, according to the provisions of Section 357.09(2)(b) of the Codified Ordinances.             

I think that first listing (905 Fruit Ave.) is one of the Clarence Court townhomes north of 490.  I didn't know the same partnership was behind those.

Nice to see the infill in Ohio City too.

Lucky's Cafe is building a 2nd location in the Gospel Press Building.  The new location will present a new concept that will be part bakery, part neighborhood restaurant, and part music cafe.  All bread baking will be moved to the new location. They are planning to open in the fall.

^Well, they sent this email and attachment out to prospective tenants awhile back (had to dig up the email - didn't know I still had it).  The email text is pasted below.  The attachment had an "Availability Date" column next to each unit (as well as sq. footage, BR/BA, type, etc.), with the earliest date listed being 6/18.  The dates ranged from 6/18 through 11/17, and about half had TBD next to it.  The units available on 6/18 are "hotel suites", but there are "apartments" listed as available by the end of July.  Obviously, they wouldn't be the first developers to miss a target date, but for what it's worth, this is what I was referencing in my post above.

Our construction schedule is right on track!

We are delighted to provide you with our current completion schedule for your review.  Please review the attached schedule and let use know if you would like to reserve a unit.  If you would like to reserve a unit we will email you an application.  All reservations will be made on a first come first serve basis, so please let us know if you would like to reserve a unit as soon as possible.