zaceman

Cleveland: Tremont: Development and News

9 minutes ago, yanni_gogolak said:

I would agree with this. I liked the massing model.

Making either the brick or aluminum something other than white would help. The blocking is lost in all the white. Otherwise I like the design more the more I look at it.

1 hour ago, imjustinjk said:

I think some of my architecture friends might take offense to this 🤣🤣

Good! (haha jk... but only if they're better)

Edited by ASP1984

Not really a development in the above-ground sense of the term. But who actually knew this was below Scranton/University roads??

• Like 3

"Save the planet. Move to the city." -- The Downtowner podcast

i visited the new towpath mounds area along the nearly finished stage three of the towpath trail. Its opening whole new vistas of the Cleveland skyline and will be a valuable amenity for those who live along its path  when it eventually reaches the lake. It will provide direct access to Cuyahoga National Park and beyond (to Cincinnati!)  with endless biking and hiking for Tremont / Ohio city/ and downtown residences. 

IMG_0694.JPG

IMG_0691.JPG

IMG_0701.JPG

IMG_0702.JPG

IMG_0703.JPG

Edited by shack
  • Like 7
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, simplythis said:

Where does the water run-off to off those mound in a downpour. It seems condusive to a lot of flooding.

I think the weeds will hold it together once they get established, except for popular footpaths which water runoff will only enhance. They should build steps up to the top to minimize that ... I hope.

2 minutes ago, shack said:

I think the weeds will hold it together once they get established, except for popular footpaths which water runoff will only enhance. They should build steps up to the top to minimize that ... I hope.

What is so cool about Towpath Mounds is that it pays homage to the indigenous architecture of the ancient native american  mound builders of southern Ohio - the first civilization of the region. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, marty15 said:

Is this across from Wagner Awning?

Yep they've been moving dirt for a few weeks now

• Like 2

Everybody's favorite apartment building is back for design approval. The colors are different and the facade was tweaked for more variety. I like the updated design better, but I kind of miss the all white. The vertical nature of the design get lost in all the dark color. Still looks good, IMO.

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2019/06072019/index.php

Electric_Gardens_IMG_17.jpg

Electric_Gardens_IMG_21.jpg

Electric_Gardens_IMG_22.jpg

Electric_Gardens_IMG_11.jpg

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mendo said:

Everybody's favorite apartment building is back for design approval. The colors are different and the facade was tweaked for more variety. I like the updated design better, but I kind of miss the all white. The vertical nature of the design get lost in all the dark color. Still looks good, IMO.

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2019/06072019/index.php

idk if it's the addition of color, or if they made the windows wider, but this looks...better haha, it'd be nice to see some balconies or something to make it less sterile 

15 minutes ago, GISguy said:

idk if it's the addition of color, or if they made the windows wider, but this looks...better haha, it'd be nice to see some balconies or something to make it less sterile 

If anything, the windows look narrower in the updated pics. The conceptual design from April had little detail, but a few of the images showed how the big the windows were going to be (huge).

Edited by Mendo

I like the new design much more than the original. While my biggest issue with the original was that it looked dated, this one  has a contemporary look which I think will fit in much better with the other recent new construction in Tremont. I also think it will blend in much better with the view from the other side of the valley, instead of sticking out like a giant barcode on the hill.

Jeff ain't lying....

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Dislike 1

The old Byzantine Catholic Church at Kenilworth and W.14th changed hands last week. The church, parking lot, and house make up a shade over a half-acre. The new owner is "1415 KENILWORTH, LLC". A quick lookup on the statutory agent shows they also registered a "IRG Investment Partners LLC" the same day. It could just be a coincidence but Integrity Realty Group owns the brick apartment building catty-corner on W.14th. They seem to own a mix of aging complexes across the region, no new construction. I'm not hopeful for something substantial going in here, but who knows.

1415_KENILWORTH.jpg

That's a handsome-looking building. Scranton is going to be so different, from Eagle all the way up the hill, in a few years. Take your pictures soon and do a then-and-now comparison in 2025.

• Like 6

On 7/1/2019 at 10:54 PM, KJP said:

That's a handsome-looking building. Scranton is going to be so different, from Eagle all the way up the hill, in a few years. Take your pictures soon and do a then-and-now comparison in 2025.

Agreed, and the strangest part is that Scranton seemed to have so little potential as there was not much there to dovetail with new investment. I remember seeing a sign for The Lincoln (https://hortonharper.com/work/the-lincoln/ ) and thinking, “why put that building on this wasteland stretch of Tremont?” I would have predicted Scranton’s future as a connection between hotspots rather than a hotspot itself. Happy to be wrong. 

BTW, that intersection of Scranton-Willey-Kenilworth is going to look very different in the not too distant future -- hopefully! Two corners, and possibly a third, have some action. The only corner without any activity is the old Pizza Pan property.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KJP said:

BTW, that intersection of Scranton-Willey-Kenilworth is going to look very different in the not too distant future -- hopefully! Two corners, and possibly a third, have some action. The only corner without any activity is the old Pizza Pan property.

Do you know what is planned for the southwest corner (the empty lot)?

36 minutes ago, gg707 said:

Do you know what is planned for the southwest corner (the empty lot)?

Apartments on the SW corner. Townhouses on the NW corner. NE corner just sold but I don't know to whom.

Case 19-030: Astrup Awning Company
2937 West 25th Street
Renovation
Ward 14: Santana
Project Representatives: Matt Stevenson, City Architecture; Rick Foran, The Foran Group

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/landmark/agenda/2019/07112019/index.php#myGallery

Astrup_Awningt_IMG_02.jpg

Astrup_Awningt_IMG_03.jpg

Astrup_Awningt_IMG_04.jpg

Astrup_Awningt_IMG_05.jpg

Astrup_Awningt_IMG_11.jpg

Astrup_Awningt_IMG_12.jpg

Astrup_Awningt_IMG_13.jpg

Astrup_Awningt_IMG_16.jpg

• Like 2

There's plenty of them. All of the modern ones are out in the collar counties where land is clean, green and doesn't require as much assembly or clearance of multiple liens.

Astrup Awning is an obsolete, multi-story manufacturing building like most of the others being converted to new uses or are leveled.

Edited by KJP
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, KJP said:

There's plenty of them. All of the modern ones are out in the collar counties where land is clean, green and doesn't require as much assembly or clearance of multiple liens.

Astrup Awning is an obsolete, multi-story manufacturing building like most of the others being converted to new uses or are leveled.

The big issue for industrial property in the city and inner ring remains CERCLA.    Much of the cleared land is around the Opportunity Corridor, which was rather ingeniously planned to clean up a lot of problem areas.

• Like 2