Sign in to follow this  
Guest unusualfire

In The World: Korea

What commitment to peace do we have that we didn't have prior to the summit?  Please be specific.  I predict that I will bump 3x before I get an answer.

We have a statement of intent that clearly states the leaders of both nations commit to peace:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/12/politics/read-full-text-of-trump-kim-signed-statement/index.html

"The United States and DPRK will join their efforts to build a lasting and stable peace regime on the Korean Peninsula."

I predict you'll move the goalposts now and pretend like that didn't answer your question.

You didn't answer my question.  I asked for a NEW commitment.  NK has made the same commitments previously.  Try again.

You didn't answer my question.  I asked for a NEW commitment.  NK has made the same commitments previously.  Try again.

You asked "What commitment to peace do we have that we didn't have prior to the summit?" I provided the commitment to peace that Trump and Kim wrote, together, at the summit; as it was created at the summit, we obviously didn't have it prior to the summit. I think your actual complaint here is that North Korea has made statements in the past that appear similar to this new statement, but such a complaint fails to recognize the historic significance of this new statement having been crafted and signed in person by Trump and Kim.

In the grand scheme, I think this meeting was significant and important, and I'll hold off the rest of my judgement until a final deal is crafted, and hopefully submitted to the Senate for approval as a formal treaty.

In the grand scheme, I think this meeting was significant and important, and I'll hold off the rest of my judgement until a final deal is crafted, and hopefully submitted to the Senate for approval as a formal treaty.

Your entire position in this thread until the last couple months was that the U.S. must make the first move - strike first to destroy NK's weapons.  Now you're all aboard the peace train?  Weird.

Also:

How is this different than the Six-Party Talks or the Agreed Framework?

And/or:

For those that believe the Trump-Kim summit was a success I have two requests:

1) What is in this deal that was not in the many previous agreements since 1992?

2) What do you believe North Korea's understanding of "denuclearize" is?

Thanks.

Very Stable Genius

The Hill

Verified account

@thehill

7m7 minutes ago

More

CNN trolls Fox News with old footage of hosts ripping Obama for suggesting summit with Kim http://hill.cm/2cwY1hX

"Nearly every problem that we have in the USA -- unaffordable health care, prison overpopulation, hyper militarization, climate change, racism, gun violence, poverty, poor education, urban sprawl and others -- cannot be positively addressed because bribery and conflicts of interest are legal under campaign finance laws which protect the uber-wealthy and the narrow self-interests who grossly benefit from our afflictions."

You asked "What commitment to peace do we have that we didn't have prior to the summit?" I provided the commitment to peace that Trump and Kim wrote, together, at the summit; as it was created at the summit, we obviously didn't have it prior to the summit. I think your actual complaint here is that North Korea has made statements in the past that appear similar to this new statement, but such a complaint fails to recognize the historic significance of this new statement having been crafted and signed in person by Trump and Kim.

"Intent" vs "commitment".  It's nice that Trump/Kim have sat down and stated together that they "intend" to pursue peace.  They haven't committed to anything.

http://www.hughhewitt.com/senator-tom-cotton-on-the-singapore-summit/

There is a school of thought that the United States should not sit down, that the United States president should not sit down with two-bit dictators. I think there’s some validity to that school of thought with the exception once those dictators have nuclear weapons. You know, countries like Iran and Cuba and other two-bit rogue regimes don’t have nuclear weapons, yet. They can’t threaten the United States in that way. Once North Korea had nuclear weapons, once they have missiles that can deliver them to use, I would liken it to past presidents sitting down with Soviet dictators.

This is sitting Senator Tom Cotton.  He's saying we should only sit down with dictators AFTER they've gotten nuclear weapons.  Insane.

Very Stable Genius

He just basically told all rogue regimes that the way for them to achieve international legitimacy is to obtain nuclear weapons.  Well, really Trump told them, but he's reiterating the point for them.

This is sitting Senator Tom Cotton.  He's saying we should only sit down with dictators AFTER they've gotten nuclear weapons.  Insane.

Any dictator that is successfully developing nuclear weapons but doesn't yet have them should be eliminated. Once they have them, you're obviously faced with a different situation. Unfortunately, several past presidents have mucked up what should have been a simple concept. Dictators that capitulated and ceased nuclear weapons development were ousted, anyways (Libya). Dictators that weren't successfully developing them were fought and ousted (Iraq). Dictators that were in the midst of successfully developing them were given softball deals to slow down a bit, instead of being ousted (Iran). Dictators that were nearly complete with developing them were completely ignored and allowed to complete their work (North Korea).

Any dictator that is successfully developing nuclear weapons but doesn't yet have them should be eliminated. Once they have them, you're obviously faced with a different situation. Unfortunately, several past presidents have mucked up what should have been a simple concept. Dictators that capitulated and ceased nuclear weapons development were ousted, anyways (Libya). Dictators that weren't successfully developing them were fought and ousted (Iraq). Dictators that were in the midst of successfully developing them were given softball deals to slow down a bit, instead of being ousted (Iran). Dictators that were nearly complete with developing them were completely ignored and allowed to complete their work (North Korea).

The mental gymnastiics to justify anything Trump does is astounding.

Very Stable Genius

Ram really wants to go to war to show the world how tough we are. I'm sure he'll be the first to enlist if we declare war on Iran.

The Ram/Cotton doctrine if we extrapolate it:

"Do not negotiate with dictators and despots who are merely TRYING to acquire nukes.  If possible, take them out.  Negotiate with them AFTER they've acquired nukes."

Utter insanity.

Very Stable Genius

Do you still think Trump didn't get played?

Infrastructure Improvements at North Korea’s Yongbyon Nuclear Research Facility

https://www.38north.org/2018/06/yongbyon062618/

Do you still think Trump didn't get played?

Infrastructure Improvements at North Korea’s Yongbyon Nuclear Research Facility

https://www.38north.org/2018/06/yongbyon062618/

Here's some real news:

North Korea erasing most anti-US propaganda

https://nypost.com/2018/06/23/north-korea-erasing-most-anti-us-propaganda/

In sign of detente, North Korea skips annual anti-US rally

https://apnews.com/2a2ef1fb34b4490e87ebd388e015cfe7/In-sign-of-detente,-North-Korea-skips-annual-anti-US-rally

As Trump repeatedly claims that North Korea no longer poses a threat, satellite imagery suggests Pyongyang is making IMPROVEMENTS to its nuclear research facility. https://t.co/IzGc6Iyqqz

"Nearly every problem that we have in the USA -- unaffordable health care, prison overpopulation, hyper militarization, climate change, racism, gun violence, poverty, poor education, urban sprawl and others -- cannot be positively addressed because bribery and conflicts of interest are legal under campaign finance laws which protect the uber-wealthy and the narrow self-interests who grossly benefit from our afflictions."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/6638982/kim-jong-un-has-top-army-officer-blasted-with-90-bullets-for-giving-his-troops-extra-rations-of-food-and-fuel/

Kim Jong-un has top army officer blasted with 90 bullets for giving his troops extra rations of food and fuel

He's a "great leader."

he runs it tough, but he is an honorable man

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/6638982/kim-jong-un-has-top-army-officer-blasted-with-90-bullets-for-giving-his-troops-extra-rations-of-food-and-fuel/

Kim Jong-un has top army officer blasted with 90 bullets for giving his troops extra rations of food and fuel

He's a "great leader."

he runs it tough, but he is an honorable man

Wonder if it's the general Trump saluted.

washingtonpost.com

North Korea working to conceal key aspects of its nuclear program, U.S. officials say

https://www.facebook.com/joby.warrick

7-8 minutes

President Trump met with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in Singapore on June 12. After the summit, Trump said “there is no longer a nuclear threat” from North Korea. New U.S. intelligence reports are saying otherwise. (Evan Vucci/AP)

U.S. intelligence officials, citing newly obtained evidence, have concluded that North Korea does not intend to fully surrender its nuclear stockpile, and instead is considering ways to conceal the number of weapons it has and secret production facilities, according to U.S. officials.

The evidence, collected in the wake of the June 12 summit in Singapore, points to preparations to deceive the United States about the number of nuclear warheads in North Korea’s arsenal as well as the existence of undisclosed facilities used to make fissile material for nuclear bombs, the officials said.

The findings support a new, previously undisclosed Defense Intelligence Agency estimate that North Korea is unlikely to denuclearize.

washingtonpost.com

North Korea working to conceal key aspects of its nuclear program, U.S. officials say

7-8 minutes

President Trump met with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in Singapore on June 12. After the summit, Trump said “there is no longer a nuclear threat” from North Korea. New U.S. intelligence reports are saying otherwise. (Evan Vucci/AP)

U.S. intelligence officials, citing newly obtained evidence, have concluded that North Korea does not intend to fully surrender its nuclear stockpile, and instead is considering ways to conceal the number of weapons it has and secret production facilities, according to U.S. officials.

The evidence, collected in the wake of the June 12 summit in Singapore, points to preparations to deceive the United States about the number of nuclear warheads in North Korea’s arsenal as well as the existence of undisclosed facilities used to make fissile material for nuclear bombs, the officials said.

The findings support a new, previously undisclosed Defense Intelligence Agency estimate that North Korea is unlikely to denuclearize.

No sh**

So when should we expect the Trumpers to acknowledge this failure?

No sh**

To Cult 45, his next failure will be his first. And it will be someone else's fault.

washingtonpost.com

7-8 minutes

No sh**

If North Korea doesn't peacefully denuclearize, it's time to go back to Plan A and forcibly denuclearize them. That's been the idea all along - the summit was about giving peace a chance. I'm still holding out hope there's a peaceful solution, but on the off chance what the Washington Post is claiming is actually true, it's unfortunate.

washingtonpost.com

7-8 minutes

No sh**

If North Korea doesn't peacefully denuclearize, it's time to go back to Plan A and forcibly denuclearize them. That's been the idea all along - the summit was about giving peace a chance. I'm still holding out hope there's a peaceful solution, but on the off chance what the Washington Post is claiming is actually true, it's unfortunate.

You’re such a liar. As if we don’t remember you guys being busy calling the summit and “deal” historic and a huge win for Trump.  You realize that cannot possibily be true if, in fact, North Korea is still developing its nuke programs and facilities.  If it was a huge accomplishment when you thought it would work, wouldn’t the opposite be a huge failure?  Trump and all you Trumpers swore that this was all a done deal and mocked everyone who said it was a capitulation to Kim.  We even said it was highly unlikely to happen.  Don’t you feel like a complete fool, because you sure look like one.

washingtonpost.com

7-8 minutes

No sh**

You’re such a liar. As if we don’t remember you guys being busy calling the summit and “deal” historic and a huge win for Trump.  You realize that cannot possibily be true if, in fact, North Korea is still developing its nuke programs and facilities.  If it was a huge accomplishment when you thought it would work, wouldn’t the opposite be a huge failure?  Trump and all you Trumpers swore that this was all a done deal and mocked everyone who said it was a capitulation to Kim.  We even said it was highly unlikely to happen.  Don’t you feel like a complete fool, because you sure look like one.

what are you talking about? No one ever said this was a done deal. In fact, everybody pretty much acknowledged that the summit was a first step in the process. Since North Korea has been so isolated and untrustworthy, to say the least, for so long, it wasn't going to be easy to strike a lasting deal. But since the meeting was without precedent, it was historic and at least opened the US and the rest of the world for the real possibility of an ongoing dialogue with Kim, and therefore a great accomplishment on its own terms.

[

I was reading on twitter (I can't remember who posted it) that this summit and Trump's comment have actually made us less safe. The thinking is that inevitably KJU will fire off another missile or do some other hostile maneuver.  Trump will either have to admit that they don;t have an actual agreement (no likely based on his own words) or he'll resort to a military response to appear tough. That made some sense to me.

^ If nothing else, I'm impressed by the sheer amount of creativity behind such a statement. It's like a thought exercise - how can we make up a narrative in which peace is actually more dangerous than war? There's an underlying aura of Orwell here - it's like trying to come up ways to convince people that black is white.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There's like two whole weeks separating those posts.  Its not fair to expect Trumpies to remember or care what they said in the distant past like that!

washingtonpost.com

7-8 minutes

No sh**

what are you talking about? No one ever said this was a done deal. In fact, everybody pretty much acknowledged that the summit was a first step in the process. Since North Korea has been so isolated and untrustworthy, to say the least, for so long, it wasn't going to be easy to strike a lasting deal. But since the meeting was without precedent, it was historic and at least opened the US and the rest of the world for the real possibility of an ongoing dialogue with Kim, and therefore a great accomplishment on its own terms.

Again, you're just lying here.  There was no nuance in the proclamations, not least of which from Trump himself, that it was a historic agreement that was bringing peace to the Korean Peninsula.  To try to argue NOW that it was just a first step is laughable.  How will you move the goal posts next when it becomes clear that Kim has zero intention of ever following through on that super binding handshake?  You and your cult leader have been embarrassed yet again, and you lack the courage or character to plainly admit that you were wrong.

what are you talking about? No one ever said this was a done deal.

@realDonaldTrump

Just landed - a long trip, but everybody can now feel much safer than the day I took office. There is no longer a Nuclear Threat from North Korea.

Well, both of these things can't be true.  "No longer a nuclear threat" on June 13th to "No one ever said this was a done deal" on July 1st and Trump supporters are getting upset at pointing out the inconsistencies.

But since the meeting was without precedent, it was historic and at least opened the US and the rest of the world for the real possibility of an ongoing dialogue with Kim, and therefore a great accomplishment on its own terms.

or maybe, just maybe the reason Obama has dragged his feet on the Iranian crisis is because long ago--during the campaign--he cast his lot with Ahmadinejad with his willingness insistence that he agree to negotiate with him without preconditions! The insurrection in Iran makes this policy look foolish, something he's unwilling to admit, because even if Ahmadinejad ends up remaining (which he probably will), his legitimacy will always be in question (to put it mildly, as he increasingly becomes viewed as a complete pariah among the democratic nations); and how ridiculous would that make us look? How sadly ironic when European leaders appear more forceful and decisive than our own president in their support for the burgeoning freedom Iranians so desperately want that they're willing to die for it!

This is why people on here call you a troll.

Very Stable Genius

But, but....we made coins!!

But, that means we're closer to the End Times! Hallelujah!

Edited by KJP

There's some chatter that KJU is in serious condition or possibly even brain dead.  I think its something picked up by US intelligence. 

I read he had heart surgery. South Korea has stated they haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary with their neighbors, so who knows. Maybe they're covering until they can figure out what to do.

In other words, KJU probably died three days ago and they're trying to figure out how to tell people without a third of the country dying from grief....

And

Edited by KJP

This could get interesting.  If he is dead, I'm sure Trump will try to force this into a distraction from his COVID leadership....

Is the talk about Kim Jong Un being sick — or worse — true? Pyongyang is abuzz too.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/is-the-talk-about-kim-jong-un-being-sick--or-worse--true-pyongyang-is-abuzz-too/2020/04/26/d29b9770-873e-11ea-81a3-9690c9881111_story.html

Apparently, NK rolled out a new Kim Jong Un today. They even gave him a new sister.  Not sure what that all means. I’m surprised this isn’t blowing up twitter. 

You're the first person that I've seen say that this is a "new" Kim Jong Un.  Are you kidding or do you have some sort of side-by-side?

^^Definitely not kidding.  Its hard to say why people instantly believe North Korea news. Most people anymore don’t get that communist regimes lie highly frequently. Back 30 years ago nobody would take anything the Soviet Union said at face value.  North Korea, china, and cuba are not that dissimilar. 
   It could be laziness or maybe even racism, North Korea rolled out a reasonable facsimile to kim jong un. From 30-40 feet away nobody can tell. It would seem far fetched as in a scooby doo cartoon that any country would even attempt to have a body double for their dictator, Noko is absolutely willing to push those limits and buy time to figure out what to do next. 
the best pics to compare are here:  

Edited by audidave

Not saying I believe North Korea, but I don't really believe random tweets from people I've never heard of, either.

Understandable. That is why i’m not sure why it isn’t blowing up all over the internet and in South Korea in particular.  I saw some video that was released and i wasn’t sure that the female was supposed to be his sister in the ceremony.  That seems pretty obvious that it isn’t her if it was supposed to be. 
  So all I’m saying is that it is still unknown where KJU is. 

11 hours ago, jmecklenborg said:

It's like the new Dukes

Look for the old KJU to turn up racing NASCAR later this month