Sign in to follow this  
Guest unusualfire

In The World: Korea

^ Yeah, even if it's really him in the video clip, there's no way of knowing whether he actually did try to grab the poster, or if was randomly grabbed up for being a bit too good of an example of an All-American boy, and forced to play a role. And of course, there's no way to confirm it even is him.

Ultimately, this should serve as a vivid reminder of what the North Korean government subjects its own people to on a daily basis. Even if he did exactly what they claimed, there's no place on earth that should be anything more than a small fine. The governments left that think that 15 years hard labor - in this case, a death sentence - is an appropriate punishment should be on our list of governments to wipe off the face of the planet.

A young man escaped from one of the prison camps and wrote a book about it. It is some awful stuff.

If you want some pretty startling insight into how everything got to be the way it is, I recommend this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Mao-Story-Jung-Chang/dp/0679746323/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497912110&sr=8-1&keywords=mao+the+unknown+story

Around page 400 or 500 the authors describe how Mao set up the Korea situation as a trap and forced our hand. 

The unexpectedly rapid end to the war in Japan thanks to the atomic bombings led to an ideal situation for U.S.-Japan relations, but the power vacuum it created in China after the Japanese surrender led directly to the absurd Taiwan situation and the Korean and Vietnam wars.  Somehow nobody in the United States anticipated that the Soviets would roll into China the day after Japan surrendered.

If we had delayed the atomic bombings by one month and spent that month moving a good portion of the men and equipment from Europe to the areas of China controlled by Chiang Kai-Shek, we could have possibly avoided both the Korean and Vietnam wars and literally hundreds of millions of Chinese would have avoided the artificial famines Mao used to fund China's nuclear program.

Kim Jung Un is doing the same thing -- funding nuclear development with the sale of food to foreign countries.  There has never been any real famine in North Korea just like there wasn't one in China in the 50s and 60s. 

Also, there are some reports that the poster theft, including the video, was completely fabricated by North Korea.  If so, Kim Jong Il trolled us all.  In retrospect, there was no way for our media to verify the video released by North Korea and so should have never aired it.

Kim Jong Il died in 2011.

Very Stable Genius

WILMINGTON, Del. — People from all over the country are calling for a University of Delaware adjunct professor to be fired after she wrote on Facebook that Otto Warmbier "got exactly what he deserved" after being taken into custody by North Korea, falling into a coma and dying.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/professor-otto-warmbier-got-%E2%80%98what-he-deserved%E2%80%99/ar-BBD66To?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

Of course they're calling for the professor to be fired. Any time anyone expresses a strong personal opinion that a lot of folks don't like, you hear a great deal for this call for said protagonist to be fired. It's ridiculous. People don't need to be fired because they're emotional humans AND also critical - thinking human beings who aren't afraid to have a strong opinion every now and then. Do people need a good checking every now and then? Yes, but a single comment in this context shouldn't warrant a person being fired from their job and subsequently, having no source of income what-so-ever. This crap is getting ridiculous.

These large movements to attempt to fire people for every little thing, needs to stop.

On her personal Facebook page, Kathy Dettwyler, an anthropology professor, wrote Tuesday that Warmbier was "typical of a mindset of a lot of the young, white, rich, clueless males who come into my classes."

"These are the same kids who cry about their grades because they didn't think they'd really have to read and study the material to get a good grade. ... His parents ultimately are to blame for his growing up thinking he could get away with whatever he wanted. Maybe in the US, where young, white, rich, clueless white males routinely get away with raping women. Not so much in North Korea. And of course, it's Ottos' parents who will pay the price for the rest of their lives."

This woman is a fruitcake. Good riddance.

Whe you post something like that, it legitimately raises concerns about your ability to be impartial.  She was justifiably terminated. 

On her personal Facebook page, Kathy Dettwyler, an anthropology professor, wrote Tuesday that Warmbier was "typical of a mindset of a lot of the young, white, rich, clueless males who come into my classes."

"These are the same kids who cry about their grades because they didn't think they'd really have to read and study the material to get a good grade. ... His parents ultimately are to blame for his growing up thinking he could get away with whatever he wanted. Maybe in the US, where young, white, rich, clueless white males routinely get away with raping women. Not so much in North Korea. And of course, it's Ottos' parents who will pay the price for the rest of their lives."

This woman is a fruitcake. Good riddance.

This narrative is all over social media. Basically he deserved it because he is a white upper middle class kid. The video released by N. Korea is blurry and you can't even tell who is in it. Even if he did steal the banner his treatment by N. Korea is so awful relative to the crime. All of these people who rip Otto and his parents I wonder what they said about the inauguration day rioters....probably freedom fighters.

^not the best analogy, but to the rest of the industrialized world, our death penalty is "so awful"

I think th moral of the story here is N Korea is an awful place and you shouldn't visit it. 

Looking at the photos from the memorial service, I was surprised to see that he actually packed that light tan jacket he wore at the "trial".  I had assumed that it was a random jacket the North Korean's threw on him since it was so oddly ill-fitting. 

I agree with MGM and Hts.

Too many people are assuming that N. Korea had legit charges here. People are forgetting the Kim's have a long history of grabbing people as political chips and making up charges in order to gain some leverage with the detainee's native home.

Tour operator should also be brought into question here. Clearly they didn't have control of the situation which is not good if you're going to offer a travel package to a place as dangerous as Pyongyang, especially involving Americans.

Did the tour group educate everyone on all of the ridiculous laws in N. Korea to watch out for? Too many people with disposable money, tour countries abroad while being completely oblivious to customs and laws.

Did the tour group educate everyone on all of the ridiculous laws in N. Korea to watch out for? Too many people with disposable money, tour countries abroad while being completely oblivious to customs and laws.

So you're saying that North Korea legitimately detained him?

What about Tony Kim?

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/23/asia/american-detained-in-north-korea/

How about Kim Dong-chul?

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/30/world/asia/north-korea-kim-dong-chul-sentence.html

Matthew Miller?

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/26/world/asia/north-korea-says-it-detained-a-us-tourist.html

Merrill Newman?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/07/us/back-in-korea-60-years-later-and-finding-a-war-is-still-on.html

I can go on and on and on.

^not the best analogy, but to the rest of the industrialized world, our death penalty is "so awful"

Yet the last time someone was executed that wasn't convicted of murder themselves was 1964.

The inexcusable part of her statement was saying it after Otto came home and his condition was clear.

I'm not defending her statement in the least and, like I said, it is not the best analogy.  But you are subject to the laws of the country you are in, no matter how cruel, inhumane, or disproportionate your home country views those laws.  That's exactly why I would never go to NK.  And keep in mind that there have been a staggering amount of death row inmates who have been released / exonerated on the basis of DNA evidence..... and that only includes the cases in which DNA evidence is available.  It would be stats like that which a French family would cite if one of their family members was being put to death after being convicted of a crime here in the US which allows for the death penalty.

I'm not defending her statement in the least and, like I said, it is not the best analogy.  But you are subject to the laws of the country you are in, no matter how cruel, inhumane, or disproportionate your home country views those laws.  That's exactly why I would never go to NK.  And keep in mind that there have been a staggering amount of death row inmates who have been released / exonerated on the basis of DNA evidence..... and that only includes the cases in which DNA evidence is available.  It would be stats like that which a French family would cite if one of their family members was being put to death after being convicted of a crime here in the US which allows for the death penalty.

Again, the idea the Kim's have created a system where it's citizens and visitors are operating under a set of rule of laws or customs is just not factual. You can be grabbed for whatever reason and charges can be made up. That's why the State Department has suggested for a long time that people not visit there, even Dennis Rodman. It's not just the Kim's lunacy where this is happening, it applies for places like Zimbabwe and Turkmenistan too. Running tour groups there, to me, is idiotic. It's asking for this situation to happen.

So you're saying that North Korea legitimately detained him?

What about Tony Kim?

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/23/asia/american-detained-in-north-korea/

How about Kim Dong-chul?

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/30/world/asia/north-korea-kim-dong-chul-sentence.html

Matthew Miller?

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/26/world/asia/north-korea-says-it-detained-a-us-tourist.html

Merrill Newman?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/07/us/back-in-korea-60-years-later-and-finding-a-war-is-still-on.html

I can go on and on and on.

Not really. I guess there's no way to know for sure how it transpired but they shouldn't be doing tours there, period. It's literally a country we're at war with... I don't know why any organization would ever want to take that kind of risk with students.

Again, the idea the Kim's have created a system where it's citizens and visitors are operating under a set of rule of laws or customs is just not factual. You can be grabbed for whatever reason and charges can be made up. That's why the State Department has suggested for a long time that people not visit there, even Dennis Rodman. It's not just the Kim's lunacy where this is happening, it applies for places like Zimbabwe and Turkmenistan too. Running tour groups there, to me, is idiotic. It's asking for this situation to happen.

True, and in this case you have a young man who was very literally raised to basically believe that his family is semi-divine.  It's probably not possible to be sane.

The North Korea situation is growing worse by the day.  They are fully committed to developing long range nuclear missiles.  China is essentially supporting this development by not enacting trade restrictions or more aggressive diplomacy and sanctions.  PBS devoted about 20 mins last night to the various scenarios - nobody seems to feel diplomacy should be abandoned but there was no real sense that the North Korean government would give this pursuit up without military force.  China is asking to let the diplomacy play out but at the rate of developments, the nuclear weapons will be ready long before any headway is made in negotiations...

^ Do you think that N. Korea has any intention of actually nuke bombing anyone or is this a power play to get a "seat at the table" so to speak?  I am honestly not sure because Kim seems like a real nut job.

^ Do you think that N. Korea has any intention of actually nuke bombing anyone or is this a power play to get a "seat at the table" so to speak?  I am honestly not sure because Kim seems like a real nut job.

I don't know if they want to actually nuke anyone because it would mean obliteration if they did based on response by the US & other nuclear powers.  I do think they are looking for more than a seat at the table.  If they get nuclear missiles, the entire negotiating arena is changed.  Japan & South Korea would become hostages almost

China is the entity who has the power to stop this but the more "powerful" North Korea grows, the bigger China's bargaining chip grows.  They're going to want something big from the United States in exchange for cutting off North Korea -- like an end of support for Taiwan and and/or closure of U.S. military bases in Japan, Korea, and elsewhere in the Pacific. 

It looks like the Secretary of State is going to issue a geographic travel restriction and ban any US passport holders from traveling to North Korea.

Trump overreaction in 3-2-1....

North Korea threatens nuclear strike on U.S. https://t.co/RrC0tWLL2o

"Nearly every problem that we have in the USA -- unaffordable health care, prison overpopulation, hyper militarization, climate change, racism, gun violence, poverty, poor education, urban sprawl and others -- cannot be positively addressed because bribery and conflicts of interest are legal under campaign finance laws which protect the uber-wealthy and the narrow self-interests who grossly benefit from our afflictions."

If this a-hole kills me I'm never going to forgive him....

Donald Trump will attack weapons site in North Korea 'within the next year' after communist state said it had successfully fired a ballistic missile

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4743268/amp/Trump-attack-weapons-site-North-Korea-year.html

"Nearly every problem that we have in the USA -- unaffordable health care, prison overpopulation, hyper militarization, climate change, racism, gun violence, poverty, poor education, urban sprawl and others -- cannot be positively addressed because bribery and conflicts of interest are legal under campaign finance laws which protect the uber-wealthy and the narrow self-interests who grossly benefit from our afflictions."

If this a-hole kills me I'm never going to forgive him....

Donald Trump will attack weapons site in North Korea 'within the next year' after communist state said it had successfully fired a ballistic missile

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4743268/amp/Trump-attack-weapons-site-North-Korea-year.html

Ken,

This is a complex situation and failure of more than just the current administration. I know more than quite a few folks that live in this part of the world and are actually supportive of what Trump is doing here. If the Kims actually get the capability to launch a precision nuke on Tokyo or Seoul then China can literally hold this part of the world at ransom through this fat clown. And while you spend a lot of time talking about Russia, China is making advances on almost every country in East Asia. They literally built an island for a military base to patrol the South China Sea and are serving notice that the United States to get out of that part of the world. Using fat boy Kim is also one of those strategies.

I don't support a ton of Trump foreign policy but stakeholders in East Asia don't want a China dominated region either and that's what is happening right now. Ignoring the Kims doesn't work.

I can't believe that no one has posted today's news about the dangerous threats being thrown around regarding North Korea:

Trump's 'fire and fury' threat to North Korea sparks new fears of war:  http://www.politico.com/story/2017/08/08/trump-north-korea-warning-241409

And did Trump's 'fire and fury' bluster cause Kim Jong Un to back down?  Nope:

North Korea threatens strike on Guam:  http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/08/politics/north-korea-considering-guam-strike-trump/index.html

Trump's quote reminds me of another infamous warning:

Trump: "North Korea best not make any more threats to the United states. They will be met with the fire and the fury like the world has never seen. He has been very threatening beyond a normal state, and as I said they will be met with the fire and fury and frankly power, the likes of which this world has never seen before. Thank you."

Truman: ""If they do not now accept our terms, they may expect a rain of ruin from the air, the like of which has never been seen on this earth."

I doubt this was a coincidence. I also hope that American liberals angst doesn't, for some reason, try to blame whatever fight may come on Trump. Kim Jong Un should, under no circumstances, possess the capability to launch nuclear attacks on anyone.

Trump's quote reminds me of another infamous warning:

Trump: "North Korea best not make any more threats to the United states. They will be met with the fire and the fury like the world has never seen. He has been very threatening beyond a normal state, and as I said they will be met with the fire and fury and frankly power, the likes of which this world has never seen before. Thank you."

Truman: ""If they do not now accept our terms, they may expect a rain of ruin from the air, the like of which has never been seen on this earth."

I doubt this was a coincidence. I also hope that American liberals angst doesn't, for some reason, try to blame whatever fight may come on Trump. Kim Jong Un should, under no circumstances, possess the capability to launch nuclear attacks on anyone.

so you're saying we're going to nuke NK.  Sounds like a terribly stupid idea.  No wonder Trump said it and cult45 thinks it's genius.

The news concerning Guam is another reminder that the clock is running and there are no more time outs.  A recent article from The Atlantic, "How to Deal With North Korea," summarizes the grim situation as thus: "There are no good options. But some are worse than others."  It's a long read, but well worth the time.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/07/the-worst-problem-on-earth/528717/

BTW, this piece was written by Mark Bowden, whose recent book ("Hue 1968 - A Turning Point of the American War in Vietnam") I'm reading right now.

North Korea now making missile-ready nuclear weapons, U.S. analysts say

Report: North Korea successfully produced a nuclear warhead

A confidential assessment by the Defense Intelligence Agency says that North Korea has already developed a miniaturized nuclear weapon that can fit on top of an ICBM. (The Washington Post)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/north-korea-now-making-missile-ready-nuclear-weapons-us-analysts-say/2017/08/08/e14b882a-7b6b-11e7-9d08-b79f191668ed_story.html?utm_term=.7c322e19b340

We have no ambassador to S. Korea currently.  So much winning

Seems surprising when you say that considering the US has a seemingly strong relationship with South Korea in terms of military support, trade, diplomacy...  maybe the role of actual ambassador is overstated?

Absolute world-destructive power in the hands of a madman is the most frightening thing imaginable... no, I'm not speaking of Kim Jong-un.

Japan warned on Tuesday of the acute threat posed by North Korea's weapons programs as Pyongyang's continued series of missile and nuclear tests, in defiance of U.N. sanctions, brings technological progress to the reclusive state.

Japan's annual Defense White Paper was released after North Korea fired two intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBMs) last month that were launched on lofted trajectories and landed off Japan's west coast.

"Since last year, when it forcibly implemented two nuclear tests and more than 20 ballistic missile launches, the security threats have entered a new stage," the Defense Ministry said in the 563-page document.

"It is conceivable that North Korea's nuclear weapons program has already considerably advanced and it is possible that North Korea has already achieved the miniaturization of nuclear weapons and has acquired nuclear warheads," it said.

http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/AJ201708080007.html

I honestly feel that we're going to war with N. Korea under the Trump administration, fairly soon. Mark my words. This time, I'd really prefer if someone didn't have to chime in, saying, "Wasn't this what David was talking about?!" I'm human and I have an ego and I enjoy being right, but in this case, I'd be happy to be wrong, because... well... my own life is at stake as well as all of those who I personally care about. It's really unfortunate that it's happening this late in the game. As a nation, we've been avoiding the threat and have refused to take it seriously for so long, now. At this point, Jesus.. hadn't it been decades? Looking back, it would have been much easier if we had dealt with N. Korea sooner. I'll put it this way: the Cuban Missile Crisis occurred with leaders who weren't nearly as ego-centric, irrational and incompetent. Kim Jong-un's recent missile tests have shown that the DPRK can now carry a ballistic missile with a nuclear warhead to the U.S. and cause massive devastation on U.S. soil. With that revelation, came harsh threats from the DPRK. There's no doubt that the U.S and it's allies have the most advanced weapons systems and have the most advanced capabilities in ICBM interception but I have no doubt that there will be tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands or even millions of casualties as it develops.

You know, one of my favorite songs of all time, is 'The Sound of Silence.' It's ultimately about the human inability to effectively communicate.  We're ll just people on this earth with thoughts (including fears) and ideas, that influence our actions. As much as I think Trump is incompetent, I think it would do a world of good for him to sit down and have a 1 on 1 with Kim King-Un in an attempt to reach a mutual understanding.  Almost half of America elected him because they thought he had the balls to do something like that. Boy were they wrong. What I think the American people have always needed is a president willing to face the fire and deal with unresolved business. Unfortunately, Trump isn't the one. This is going to be a horrific war.

Trump's threat closely mimicked the rhetoric routinely used by KJU, both in style and tone.  I wonder if that was intentional.  Even though he stumbled over the words a bit, as he usually does, it seemed like the remarks were pre-planned.  Maybe it was one of those "talk his language" suggestions, ending up with the conclusion that Trump already does talk KJU's language. 

If we have to use military force against NK, then that is something we have to do.  But every diplomatic option should be exhausted.  Every prior President has been able to hold this dictatorship at bay without starting another war on that peninsula.  If we do go to war, it would be nice to have a strong international coalition.  That is what concerns me about The Donald.  I have no faith he has the necessary leadership and diplomacy skills to build one.  The other significant world leaders either view him as weak and feeble or don't have the necessary respect for Trump to follow him.

David, negotiations will not work and they have never worked with N. Korea. They violated the agreed to framework that they signed when Clinton was POTUS. They had a secret enrichment program. As best as we know that can't aim their ICBMs very well, but that could change. Best hope is that the CIA hacks their systems and fire off a couple of non nukes that hit land. Then the gloves come off.

Trump's threat closely mimicked the rhetoric routinely used by KJU, both in style and tone.  I wonder if that was intentional.  Even though he stumbled over the words a bit, as he usually does, it seemed like the remarks were pre-planned.  Maybe it was one of those "talk his language" suggestions, ending up with the conclusion that Trump already does talk KJU's language. 

If we have to use military force against NK, then that is something we have to do.  But every diplomatic option should be exhausted.  Every prior President has been able to hold this dictatorship at bay without starting another war on that peninsula.  If we do go to war, it would be nice to have a strong international coalition.  That is what concerns me about The Donald.  I have no faith he has the necessary leadership and diplomacy skills to build one.  The other significant world leaders either view him as weak and feeble or don't have the necessary respect for Trump to follow him.

If the goal was a non nuclear N. Korea then Clinton, Bush and Obama failed.

^ I personally do not think that NK has nuclear capabilities.  During the Obama it was reported that NK had nuclear capability but it turned out that Mike Flynn was full of it.  A lot of what I read is that it is extremely difficult to get any intel out of NK. 

^ I personally do not think that NK has nuclear capabilities.  During the Obama it was reported that NK had nuclear capability but it turned out that Mike Flynn was full of it.  A lot of what I read is that it is extremely difficult to get any intel out of NK.

I don't trust everything I read. What did Mike Flynn do? Meuller and Powell were full of it also testifying that Iraq had WMD, probably courtesy of the CIA. N. Korea has boosted/hydrogen fission bombs and they have detonated at 4 of them in tests. The have ICBMs. They question is can they arm them.

^I personally hope you are right but I can't imagine all the world's intelligence being duped. 

If this situation continues to escalate, I think we'll start to see world markets affected, with trade and defense being juggled. 

Article here on South Korea & Japan getting involved https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-08-10/south-korea-warns-north-korea-against-launching-missile-at-guam

Article here on China seething at being left out of the conversation now: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-northkorea-missiles-idUSKBN1AQ179 

"Neither North Korea nor the United States listens to China. They're too busy heading down the path to a military clash. There's not much China can do. China can't stop North Korea and it can't stop the United States."

Let's try to focus on the present.  NK allegedly now has a nuclear warhead and it came about on The Donald's watch.  No need to play the blame game.  We are where we are now with the current President calling the shots.  Clinton, Bush and Obama didn't have to respond to the current threat.  The Donald does have to respond.  Let's hope he can de-escalate things.  That would show strength and ability.  Any chump can order a bunch of 20 somethings into a war zone.

So what happens if we go in there and there are no weapons of mass destruction?  Will there be a "surge"?  Will Halliburton and Blackwater get paid even if they don't take the trip over there? 

Let's try to focus on the present.  NK allegedly now has a nuclear warhead and it came about on The Donald's watch.  No need to play the blame game.  We are where we are now with the current President calling the shots.  Clinton, Bush and Obama didn't have to respond to the current threat.  The Donald does have to respond.  Let's hope he can de-escalate things.  That would show strength and ability.  Any chump can order a bunch of 20 somethings into a war zone.

That is wrong,

North Korea has conducted a total of five nuclear tests, in 2006, 2009, 2013 and twice in 2016

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nuclear_weapons_tests_of_North_Korea

So what happens if we go in there and there are no weapons of mass destruction?  Will there be a "surge"?  Will Halliburton and Blackwater get paid even if they don't take the trip over there?

Probably the bomb makers more so. Blackwater is busy in Afghanistan.....I think.