Sign in to follow this  
Guest unusualfire

In The World: Korea

This is serious folks. There maybe a first nuclear war ever.

I think we here in Cincinnati will be ok, but if major cities on the west cost are hit. It will be devastating!!!

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- North Korea launched a long-range Taepodong-2 missile early Wednesday in an apparently unsuccessful test that failed in flight, a senior State Department official said.

Lets just blow them up and not have to deal with it.

you don't really think that missle just failed on it's own do ya?

as 'a warning' to nk i'd bet it had a little help in failing, but we'll never hear about that either.

Mrnyc do you think that maybe the fact that their missile was launched at the same time our space shuttle went off on national tv might have something to do with Americans not knowing that we intercepted it?

North Korea's technology sucks though. I wouldn't be surprised if it really did fail.

i think it could equally be either of those situations. well if i had to choose only one i do think it is prob more likely it just failed on it's own. still, i don't think the usa intercepting it is at all far fetched, we have been looking for reasons to test out that kind of technology lately. the timing with the shuttle launch is odd, i dk what to make of that.

When I saw the heading, I thought Unusualfire was being over dramatic with the Space Shuttle.  :|

BTW, Isn't Columbus the 7th most desirable target for nuclear missiles in the US?

^Only when you're in town. ;)

You might want to consider changing addresses then.  I filled out a job aplication with the city of Hamilton last week.

Every town claims to be a big target for terrorism. It makes them feel like their town is more important.

I heard that the area between Cincinnati and Dayton was pretty high on the list for a large nuke because of the GE plant (supplies a large amount of jet engines to the military) and Wright-Patt (research & development for the Air Force).

I heard that the area between Cincinnati and Dayton was pretty high on the list for a large nuke because of the GE plant (supplies a large amount of jet engines to the military) and Wright-Patt (research & development for the Air Force).

also i 75 carrys a tone of commercial trucking traffic

There goes my vacation plans...

Damnit! I hope not. I was looking forward to the pics of North Korea.

I find it really strange that all of their missiles failed within seconds yet they were able to fly a missile over Japan in '98 when they didn't tell anybody about it.

Growing up in Dayton, we've always heard that Wright-Patt was/is always in the top 3 as an enemy target if a nuclear war would break out...since it's a research, development and intelligence base for the Air Force. We also hear that the roswell aliens are hanging out there somwhere too! :-)

In case you're not aware, theres been somewhat of a panic over the situation with North Korea's nuclear weapons program and missile testing. All of the missiles reportedly failed while North Korea claims their launches were a success.

South Korea and Japan are very concerned and want them to stop since their countries are an easy target for their missiles. China has the closest relationship with North Korea and doesn't support the proposed sanctions against North Korea out of fear that it will make everyone's relationship with North Korea worse and provoke something.

What i'm wondering is..why is North Korea such a threat? Doesn't the United States, China, Russia, UK, and other great world powers have nuclear weapons ready to be deployed if needed? As far as I know, the worst that North Korea has done is counterfeit large amounts of the U.S. Dollar. I know they have threatened Japan with physical action if they imposed sanctions on North Korea. If Japan gets bombed, it effects our economy since we are big trade partners but it still doesn't seem like enough of a reason.

Are we intimidated by Kim Jong-il because he's the leader of a freedomless, communist, empoverished nation, the type of society we frown upon? It's a country of only 22 million people and a GDP of only 30 billion. Why would they be stupid enough to pull a fast one on us? Maybe i'm missing something, I don't know.

SEOUL (Reuters) - North Korea's leader Kim Jong-il said his country would not budge in negotiations with the United States, adding the reclusive state was ready to meet any attack with a strong blow of its own, Yonhap reported on Sunday.

"Kim declared that even a small concession wouldn't be made to the sworn-enemy U.S. imperialistic aggressors," the North's Korean Central Broadcasting Station (KCBS) said in an editorial monitored in Seoul, the South Korean news agency said.

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060709/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_nkorea_7;_ylt=AlX38Kf2c2qxfPwGq3dDO.yCscEA;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUI

N. Korea has a fairly powerful military.  If we went to war tomorrow, it is likely that they could destroy Seoul with their missiles and overrun S. Korea's army as well as our 30,000 odd troops that are stationed there.  Those 30,000 troops are essentially a tripwire, they'd be overrun, but we'd be drawn into a counter offensive.  It would be an extremely costly fight.

More likely, they could sell nuclear material and/or missile technology to terrorists or other rogue actors, which obviously would cause us some serious consternation.

A war with N. Korea would be much more intense than Iraq due to much more advanced weapons technology, but would be over much quicker (unless China decides to back North Korea militarily(unlikely)).  Much more modern infrastructures and military exists in the country which makes war targets much easier to define and more damaging when destroyed.  Unlike our more recent missions in the Middle East, once the government in N. Korea is taken out, the war is pretty much over.

Also, the Japanese feel they have a lot at stake and are expanding their military as we speak.  They have expressed no hesitation to use their military against N. Korea if diplomacy fails and have even expressed an interest in leading the charge.

So to answer the question, “yes,” North Korea is a threat because they have ability to cause a lot of damage and casualties.  As X pointed out they have the ability to destroy a city such as Seoul. But so far it seem all the threats coming from N. Korea are nothing more than a ploy to get money.  They've had the time to launch an attack for years now and have yet to do so.  I think Kim is smart enough to know he can’t win if it comes down to a war.

^I dont know how "advanced" his weapons technology is. He couldn't keep those missiles in the air longer than 40 something seconds.. Their military budget is only 4 billion while ours is 300-400 billion. Real power is economic power and they barely have any. I hear the dictatorship in Pakistan is likely to sell nuclear technology as well.

the problem with battling north korea in a land war today is that unlike the 1950's they now supposedly have nuclear weapons. they are irrational and would use them, esp if near defeat. china's response to events would also be an unknown. looks like japan is considering direct action:

Japan Considers Strike Against N. Korea

Jul 10, 8:58 AM (ET)

By MARI YAMAGUCHI

TOKYO (AP) - Japan said Monday it was considering whether a pre-emptive strike on the North's missile bases would violate its constitution, signaling a hardening stance ahead of a possible U.N. Security Council vote on Tokyo's proposal for sanctions against the regime. Japan was badly rattled by North Korea's missile tests last week and several government officials openly discussed whether the country ought to take steps to better defend itself, including setting up the legal framework to allow Tokyo to launch a pre-emptive strike against Northern missile sites.

"If we accept that there is no other option to prevent an attack ... there is the view that attacking the launch base of the guided missiles is within the constitutional right of self-defense. We need to deepen discussion," Chief Cabinet Secretary Shinzo Abe said.

www.cnn.com

North Korean hackers may have stolen US war plans

Files outline South Korea and Washington's strategy in event of war on the peninsula

South Korea's military is investigating a cyber attack in which North Korean hackers may have stolen secret defence plans outlining Seoul and Washington's strategy in the event of war on the Korean peninsula. The highly sensitive information, codenamed Oplan 5027, may have found its way into hostile hands last month after a South Korean officer used an unsecured USB memory stick to download it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/dec/18/north-south-korea-hackers

US man 'arrested' in North Korea

North Korean authorities have said they have arrested a US man who crossed into their territory. The North's official KCNA news agency said the man had entered the country from China on 24 December. There is no official word on the man's identity. However there have been reports that Robert Park, a US Christian activist, recently crossed into North Korea.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8433267.stm

Official: North Korea targets South Korea in propaganda drive

t1larg.korea.border.guards.afp.getty.jpg

North Korea is retaliating for a November artillery attack -- with an onslaught of faxes to South Korea, an official said Wednesday. Earlier this month, faxes started arriving at South Korean companies, South Korean Unification Ministry deputy spokeswoman Lee Jong-joo said Wednesday. The faxes blame South Korea for the November 23 artillery attack on Yeonpyeong Island.

"Responsibility for the attack lies with the South," states the fax, according to Lee. "Groups in the South should rise up against the South Korean government." The ministry says 15 companies, consisting of two religious groups, seven trade companies, five civic groups and one media organization, reported they had received the fax. The first report of a fax came in on December 8, according to Lee.

The ministry estimates that 50 to 80 companies likely received the messages, but have not reported them yet to the government. Most of the companies that received faxes had prior contact with North Korea through inter-Korean events or business operations, Lee said. All of the reported faxes were in the same format and none of them included updated information about the recent and ongoing South Korean drills, the ministry said.

More below:

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapcf/12/22/koreas.propaganda.war/index.html?hpt=T2

North Korea 'will not hit back' over Yeonpyeong drills

North Korea says it will not retaliate despite "reckless provocations" from the South, which held live-fire drills on the flashpoint island of Yeonpyeong. The North shelled the island last month after similar drills and had threatened more retaliation this time. But state media quoted the army as saying it was "not worth reacting".

Meanwhile US politician Bill Richardson, on a visit to the North, says it has agreed to allow UN inspectors back into the country. The New Mexico governor, who is in Pyongyang in an unofficial capacity, said he had been told during meetings that members of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) would be allowed renewed access to a uranium enrichment facility.

There has been no official comment from the North, and it is unclear which facility Mr Richardson was referring to.

More below:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12039477

The Guns of December

It's about time South Korea started shooting back.

It is hard to recall a better example of successful deterrence than what failed to happen on Monday, Dec. 20, on the Korean peninsula. That was the planned date of a South Korean artillery drill on Yeonpyeong Island, just seven and half miles from the North Korean mainland, but 50 miles from Inchon, the nearest South Korean port. Determined to intimidate Seoul into calling off the artillery exercise -- 94 minutes of live fire -- Pyongyang issued a veritable cascade of threats.

... In the event, the South Koreans fired some 1,500 howitzer shells, and North Korea fired nothing back, except for the lame complaint of their military spokesman: "The South's vile military provocations do not deserve even a passing notice."

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2010/12/21/the_guns_of_december

North Korean leader Kim Jong Il dead, state TV reports

By the CNN Wire Staff

updated 10:21 PM EST, Sun December 18, 2011

(CNN) -- North Korean leader Kim Jong Il is dead, North Korean state TV said Monday.

Kim, 69, died Saturday, state TV said.

The son of Kim Il Song, the founder of the communist nation, Kim Jong Il had been in power since 1994 when his father died of a heart attack at age 82.

The enigmatic leader was a frequent thorn in the side of neighboring South Korea, as well as the United States. There have been reports in recent years about his health, as well as that power will be transitioned to his son, Kim Jong Un.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/18/world/asia/north-korea-leader-dead/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Bin Laden, Gaddafi, and now Jong. Been quite the year for the bad guys.

I had him in a Dead Pool.  I also had his heir apparent, not-so-li'l-kim, which would bring in huge points.

When his father died, there were reports of North Koreans crying themselves to death. What a f*cked-up place.  :evil:

Sorry, but no politician regardless of country is worth dying for. Although I might cry about politicians for another reason.  :jo: