Guest FerrariEnzo

Cleveland: Battery Park

No one's posted here for a while, but there are a couple new houses up adjacent to the main site (infill) and they look fantastic. Sort of a cross between Orchard Park and Tremont Ridge. I'll try to get some photos soon.

news alert...

The grand opening of Battery Park is today, from 4 pm - 8 pm.  The model suites on Goodwalt & W. 74th are open and the model office on W. 73rd is open. There are supposed to be some good eats too.

^ Pictures please!

"Your community is your commodity, my commodity & everyone's commodity." -- borrowing on silly slogans in Cleveland's Ohio City

^So demanding! ;)

Here ya go.

2006_0615Image0009.jpg

The two model homes, at Goodwalt and W. 74th.

2006_0615Image0010.jpg

Another exterior view. Look! It's real brick!

2006_0615Image0017.jpg

Inside the unit on the right: The ground floor room.

2006_0615Image0018.jpg

Second-floor bedroom.

2006_0615Image0019.jpg

Balcony off the third-floor master bedroom. Powerhouse and the lake in the distance.

2006_0615Image0020.jpg

Closer view of the lake. You can only see it from the third floor.

2006_0615Image0026.jpg

Skyline view from third-floor window.

2006_0615Image0024.jpg

Inside the brick unit: Ground floor.

2006_0615Image0014.jpg

The entrance to the development from W. 73rd. Not crazy about this -- it's very subdivisiony to me.

2006_0615Image0008.jpg

I *think* two of these are new infill, and the third is being renovated. On 74th and Goodwalt, across from the model units.

And here are a few of the surrounding neighborhood. Some houses are derelict, others are in great shape.

2006_0615Image0012.jpg

Goodwalt between 73rd and 74th.

2006_0615Image0013.jpg

Goodwalt and 73rd.

2006_0615Image0007.jpg

That's sooooooooooooooo Cleveland... A-frames march down W. 74th toward Goodwalt.

Thanks for the pics. Nice looking houses.

And, I agree about the entrance looking some kind of suburban hangover. What's with some of these developers? Guys, it's OK to seamlessly integrate your development with the existing street grid and neighborhood! You don't need to announce your development by segregating it from what's already nearby.

Is it ego? A habit left over from your suburban-building days? A lack of awareness how urban neighborhoods function better by connecting multiple streets in your development with those that already exist? A misunderstanding of what enhances pedestrianism?

I ask those questions just in case a developer happens to read this. Hell, I'll draw them a diagram if it will help!

"Your community is your commodity, my commodity & everyone's commodity." -- borrowing on silly slogans in Cleveland's Ohio City

I am not sure why they allow the seperation as well...it doesn't seem to bind the neighborhoods together as well.

As far as the comment "that is sooooo Cleveland"...I never understand when I hear that on here.  I have been to plenty of cities outside of Ohio that have that type of construction.  My GF from Queens the other day commented about how Cleveland reminds her of Eastern Queens/Greatneck and parts of Long Island. 

JDD, it wasn't meant to be a derogatory comment. It's just very typical Cleveland housing -- and I agree it's found in other places too. I think the symmetry of the houses is cool.

As for the subdivisiony entrance -- it sucks. But to their credit, the developers also are extending the existing north-south streets (W. 74th, W. 75th) right into the new development, as well as adding infill on W 74th outside the development. They are also building along pre-existing Goodwalt Avenue, on the development's southern edge. That makes the entrance a little more forgiveable in my book.

I don't see how the entrance resembles a subdivision, although maybe I'm more desencitized to suburbia than I thought. I did grow up in one of 15 developments directly off Walker Road in Avon Lake. But anyway, those signs and flowers definately look temporary to me, and it appears that they are integrating into neighborhood streets like W.74th.

I like the fact that they are saving the powerhouse and converting it into a community building, but I wish they could take down the smokestack. It's probably to expensive or risking damage to the building.

the exterior stairs/awnings don't look right to me...there's just something wrong.  The front yard looks so small, or is that the way the "model" home looks not what the actual house/lot you buy will be like?

Blinker...no ill feelings taken at all.  I was just curious.  I read a lot of posts from people in those cities down South (in Ohio) and it seems like the housing stock up here to them is like a martian colony because it isn't row houses. 

MTS...I think it may be the total cheese wood awnings and the shitty stairs.  It seems that builders these days shy away from solid brick stairsways and solid looking porch/awnings.  All hail vinyl siding!!!!

MTS...I think it may be the total cheese wood awnings and the shitty stairs.  It seems that builders these days shy away from solid brick stairsways and solid looking porch/awnings.  All hail vinyl siding!!!!

LMAO!!!! Oh god!  Not vinyl!!!  Thank god I grew up in a brick home!

it seems like the housing stock up here to them is like a martian colony because it isn't row houses. 

The two arrangements, duplexes and row houses, are really no different; one not necessarily being more desirable than the other. For some reason row houses seem to have a little better acceptance, but I have seen some horribly decrepid row houses and some fantastic bottom-top duplexes. The duplexes are sooo Cleveland, and I didn't understand the comment in a negative way at all. This housing arrangement's prevelance is somewhat unique to Cleveland. I think the only reason why we are seeing more interest in building-new/fixing row houses is because of their assocations with other cities.

While I don't mind row houses, it would be nice to see some efforts to actually build-new/fix our bottom top duplexes. I personally think there are a lot of advantages to a bottom-top duplex. The almost always have full front porches/balconies and garages, which are qualities more rare with row houses. bottom-top duplexes yield the same density, and maybe even greater density than row houses. The duplexes are also more adaptable to different uses down the road. They could be converted into single family homes, or mixed-use buildings more easily than row houses.

Thanks for the photos B12- makes it a whole lot more exciting for those of us who can't drive or bike by so easily.  Overall I dig the models and am really excited to see the nabe take off with this development and all the rehab going on.

I agree about the industrial metal stairs, though...not really the kind of solid stoop I dream about hanging out on.  And I'm not crazy about the big squares that make up the bottome piece of the facade of the model on the right....but much better, IMHO, then the cutesy turreted stuff getting built on Bridge.

Finally, and this is kind of an over-all Cleveland comment, I love nice grassy tree lawns in the leafy burbs...but not so crazy about them in the city.  If your tree lawn is only going to be a couple feet wide anyway, I rather see the sidewalk right along the street.  Too often you end up with an ugly strip of mud or patchy brown that no-one wants to take care of.

So what would be the going opinion for renovating the Barone Building on 69th?(see pics earlier in this thread)  Currently, 4 apartments, each of which is too small for todays lifestyle.  We were considering making it into 2 units, front and back, but there is an argument for up and down.  No windows on the lake side, but a rooftop patio would have a tremendous view.  Also, any recos on architects for such a project?

Dan, are the interior shots posted earlier of the Isabella or the Barone?  I'm guessing Isabella because I can't imagine wanting to redo it (it looks perfectly awesome).  If you went front and back with the Barone I assume each unit would be two floors?

The front yard looks so small, or is that the way the "model" home looks not what the actual house/lot you buy will be like?

???

I don't think they're going for front yards. The houses are built almost right up to the sidewalk.

Fascinating family history to go with the cool building.  And a nice investment too I would think with the neighborhood getting hot.   My vote is front and back so you don't have to worry about hearing footsteps above if you're the downstairs tenant, but not sure if building an interior stair for the back would be prohibitively expensive.  Sounds like a very cool project no matter how your reconfigure it.

Oh, and if $10 purchase price you saw is from a deed you dug up from the county records, I wouldn't put too much stock in it.  Not exactly sure what the custom was way back then, but for arcane historical reasons deeds usually recite only a symbolic purchase price, not what was actually paid.

The front yard looks so small, or is that the way the "model" home looks not what the actual house/lot you buy will be like?

???

I don't think they're going for front yards. The houses are built almost right up to the sidewalk.

I didnt' think so either, I assume there is a small "garden" in the back of the building, for the occupant on the first/ground floor?

I am not sure why they allow the seperation as well...it doesn't seem to bind the neighborhoods together as well.

As far as the comment "that is sooooo Cleveland"...I never understand when I hear that on here.  I have been to plenty of cities outside of Ohio that have that type of construction.  My GF from Queens the other day commented about how Cleveland reminds her of Eastern Queens/Greatneck and parts of Long Island. 

I think on this board "soooooooooo Cleveland" is usually a compliment!

That didn't look like that much parking. I can see why they didn't want parking lining the boulevard (was that West 75th?).

I just took some pictures of the work at BP. Looks like much of the curb work is done.

185228508_6699422347.jpg

185228684_d75c128b8e.jpg

I imagine there will be more houses here. I just thought the view of downtown from the back decks of the house are spectacular.

When it is time for me to purchase my next house (after the two older kids graduate from high school - 4 years and counting), I might consider moving here.

185229120_b8cb2cf935.jpg

A fascinating preview!! So far I like the distinct coastal flavor of the architecture. And I'm glad they are preserving the powerhouse.

p.s. Somebody please alert ODOT that the Shoreway is missing.

I'm not sure what you're saying. The Shoreway was visible early on in the video.

wow, very impressive!  I watched the thing like 3 times!  I'm particularly smitten with Battery Park Boulevard...

I still think there's an opportunity to incorporate more neighborhood retail into the project...most likely on the boulevard running north/south from the power house, on the ground floor of the large loft building.  I'm reminded of the vacant retail spaces nearby, though, every time I say this, so I guess a great outcome would be seing those spaces filled up to serve the existing and new population.

I heard a nice little story last night.  My wife met a medical resident who had grown up in Mayfield, went to Case and then on to medical school in Toledo. He wanted to go out to San Fran or Chicago to settle.  Growing up, he never really explored Cleveland. As things turned out, he just started at CCF. He said that if he's going to live in this region that he's going to get to know the city. He's closing on a home in Battery Park next week. 

Ran around the site today as part of my training for the Towpath Marathon (http://www.towpathmarathon.net/) and was pleased to see 3 more houses capped off (but not yet inhabitable) and foundations for several more in the ground.  Included in this group are three more in the row in Musky's last picture, as well as the foundations for the block just north of these houses, which will be a different building type.  Site work continues elsewhere and it's getting easier to picture the whole thing materializing!

Drove past the other day on my way to the Lakefront West meeting and noticed that the north walls of the first set of Battery Park Boulevard lofts have gone up.  Exciting!

Anyone else get this mailing?

MuddyBoots.jpg

Apparently, you can call and get your very own "muddy boots" tour of the first loft building to rise on Battery Park Avenue.  Progress!

Hi all,

Yes, I received the the invitation for the tour. I don't know why. My partners and I have committed to one of the Chicago style houses. In the office they gave a wall map with sold or reserved pins. So far I haven't notice and increase in the sold pins. Hopefully the opening of the loft style will bring in more interest. Bear hugz to all.

Jim S.

Thanks Blinker,

The unit won't be ready until April/May. that gives us time to sell two houses, I hope. I was born and raised in the E 45 st. Superior area and have lived in Lake County since 1970. I will be a 1st time west sider at the ripe old age of 62. O well. guess I have to start sometime. ;-)

Jim S.

Woo hoo!  Go Jim!

By the way, there's a so-so article in the December issue of Properties Magazine (http://www.propertiesmag.com/).  It talks in detail about materials and other specs.  Nice interior photos with the article.

I also happen to know that the most recent PR Newswire familiarization tour visited the neighborhood and was impressed with the amount of new construction and access to the lake!