KJP

Cycling Advocacy

International cycling news here -- shows that Europeans can be idiots about biking, too (surprisingly so!)...

Through blood, toil, sweat, and tears, UK will prevail—against cycleways.

http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/cycleways-more-damaging-to-london-than-the-blitz-claims-lord-lawson/018809

CWNUdPwUEAA2QWE.png:large

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities."-Voltaire

:-P he's probably one of the people who ride on the sidewalk and the wrong way in bike lanes :x

I couldn't believe it when I saw this story. Hey, how about cracking down on bicyclists who ignore the law and endanger the safety of pedestrians!! (something people have been begging the cops to do for years!)--

NYPD Cracking Down On Motorists Who Drive, Park In Bike Lanes

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2016/05/16/nypd-bicyclists-initiative/

:-P he's probably one of the people who ride on the sidewalk and the wrong way in bike lanes :x

I couldn't believe it when I saw this story. Hey, how about cracking down on bicyclists who ignore the law and endanger the safety of pedestrians!! (something people have been begging the cops to do for years!)--

If a driver doesn't pay a ticket their license can get suspended.  Not so with bicyclists.

If a driver doesn't pay a ticket their license can get suspended.  Not so with bicyclists.

Your point?  Do pedestrians who jaywalk (a "crime" developed by the automobile lobby in the first place) have their license suspended?  Oh wait no, there's no such thing.  Plus, "crack down on bicyclists who ignore the law and endanger the safety of pedestrians"?  The NYPD itself has been doing that for years, but not in the sense of "cracking down" but deliberately and unfairly targeting cyclists.  Police would park their cruisers in the bike lanes and then ticket cyclists for not riding in the bike lane.  They'd set up speed traps in Central Park and ticket cyclists for going 2 mph over the speed limit.  All this while ignoring truck drivers and other motorists driving 50 mph in 30 mph zones.  All this while motorists who kill and maim cyclists and pedestrians are let off with no criminal charges and in many cases no ticket whatsoever, because the motorist "felt bad about it."  The actual danger caused by cyclists is so small that suggesting a crack down is absurd.  Plus if the problem is sidewalk riding and salmoning, then that's a very good indication that facilities for cyclists are sorely lacking and should be fixed. 

I had my driver's license suspended for 6 months for a bicycling incident.  I had to get a temporary license and retake the test with the lady driving around with you. 

I had my driver's license suspended for 6 months for a bicycling incident.  I had to get a temporary license and retake the test with the lady driving around with you. 

The irony is you were treated differently from a bicyclist with no driver's license.

I especially like it when cyclists blithely ride around wearing earbuds, like the happy-go-lucky bike share user in the picture. This always contributes to safe streets :x (In fairness, the street was blocked for the annual orgy of nuttiness known as the NYC Dance Parade --yes, there is such a thing--that culminates in the East Village; but unfortunately you see this sort of selfish, inconsiderate behavior from cyclists all the time).

26592679024_d7fe4677b0_c.jpg

I especially like it when cyclists blithely ride around wearing earbuds, like the happy-go-lucky bike share user in the picture. This always contributes to safe streets :x (In fairness, the street was blocked for the annual orgy of nuttiness known as the NYC Dance Parade --yes, there is such a thing--that culminates in the East Village; but unfortunately you see this sort of selfish, inconsiderate behavior from cyclists all the time).

I'm also surprised by how many times I see drivers in cars wearing headphones while driving...

So... You would rather they fully encase themselves in metal and glass with a stereo?

So... You would rather they fully encase themselves in metal and glass with a stereo?

no, I would just rather see them simply obey the law and not act like they have been given some kind of special dispensation to violate the rules and regulations (casually crashing red lights, riding on the sidewalk whenever they feel like it, etc., etc.) everybody else has to abide by. Why is that asking so much?

Double standard. 

People do dumb things and break laws all the time, whether on a bike or in a car.  Motorists speed constantly, roll through stop signs, run red lights, swerve, park on sidewalks, and do plenty of other jackhole things.  And here's the thing, those are all incredibly dangerous to other people.  While a cyclist is a bit more dangerous to a pedestrian than another pedestrian, the danger of even a small car to pedestrians and cyclists is an order of magnitude greater.  The other difference is that when you see someone do those things in a car, it's "that asshole" [person like me doing many things I do too] but when someone on a bike does it, they're "that asshole cyclist" [other creature I don't identify with doing things I don't understand].

Also the thing about earbuds is that what you hear versus what you see only tells you about things directly behind you.  And the only thing of much use would be that you're about to be run over, which you can't really do anything about.  Regardless, what's behind you on the road is not your responsibility.  If you're going to change lanes or turn or whatever, then you have to look to see you're not cutting someone off, but hearing has no bearing on that.  Deaf people can drive cars after all. 

Pretty interesting data comparing male vs. female bicyclists on a Tour de France mountain stage:

https://www.strava.com/segments/1624487

Bicycling seems to point out a pretty dramatic difference in male-female physiology -- a noteworthy lower body difference as compared to the more often discussed upper body difference.  Data like this gives the impression that a completely untrained man could put out far more power, at least temporarily, than any elite female bicyclist.  Most moderately fit male bicyclists cab maintain 300W for an hour or more whereas few women appear to be able to maintain 200W for any sustained period.

I think this does something to explain why fewer women are into the sport and why female bike commuters don't look confident on their bikes too often.  They can get around, but they're not in control of the machine to the extent that men are.   

Zipp just released a new product...carbon wheels with a saw tooth profile and hexagon-shaped dimples:

A pair of these Indiana-made wheels sets you back $4,000, more than 2X the cost of their conventional round wheels. 

Pretty interesting data comparing male vs. female bicyclists on a Tour de France mountain stage:

https://www.strava.com/segments/1624487

Bicycling seems to point out a pretty dramatic difference in male-female physiology -- a noteworthy lower body difference as compared to the more often discussed upper body difference.  Data like this gives the impression that a completely untrained man could put out far more power, at least temporarily, than any elite female bicyclist.  Most moderately fit male bicyclists cab maintain 300W for an hour or more whereas few women appear to be able to maintain 200W for any sustained period.

I think this does something to explain why fewer women are into the sport and why female bike commuters don't look confident on their bikes too often.  They can get around, but they're not in control of the machine to the extent that men are.   

Here's an interesting follow up to that data.

Biological male dominates women’s cycling event in historic first

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/biological-male-dominates-womens-cycling-event-in-historic-first/

A biological male who identifies as female has won a major women’s race in the US in what is believed to be a first for cycling.

Jillian Bearden was born a male but identifies as a transgender woman and has not had sex reassignment surgery.

However, while still a biological man she was able to take part in the event under new rules ushered in by an International Olympic Council decision.

Bearden took victory in the 106-mile El Tour de Tucson in Arizona at the weekend in a time of 4hrs 36mins, some 25mins behind the men’s winner; Mexican Olympic cyclist Hugo Rangel.[/]

This could be interesting in the coming years. What would happen if this starts to become the norm for female competitions? Would there ever be a shift back to splitting up competitions based purely on biological sex?

I have a hunch that people are letting this stuff happen merely to attract attention to the sport. Obviously it's a ridiculous situation. 

Genetics seem to have a pretty dominating roll in race outcomes...some people are genetically predisposed to sprint whereas others are born to climb.  The top male sprinters put out in excess of 1,000 watts for 10+ seconds which is a power level no woman can approach.  A pro bicyclist is also helped by having a slender frame, otherwise they need legs that can put out an unholy amount of power to overcome wind resistance. 

Nelson Vails, the silver medalist in a 1984 velodrome event, probably had the biggest frame of anyone in the history of the sport.  I'm not sure power meters existed back then but he was probably the most powerful guy to ever compete at the top level.  He's also noteworthy for unintentionally planting the seed for the hipster fixie bike movement of the 2000s since he was the first guy to work as an NYC bike messenger on a fixed gear track bike.  He did it for training purposes back in the early 1980s and some other bike messengers started doing it.  It took 20 years but it exploded in popularity around 2005. 

Angry white guy intentionally runs over cyclist on the Natchez Trace Parkway, caught on tape:

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/williamson/2017/07/10/man-charged-natchez-trace-parkway-hit-and-run-said-cyclist-threw-bike-his-car/464581001/

I have biked this road about ten times (no, not the entire 400+ mile length!).  It is a limited-access parkway.  Exits are spaced every 7-12 miles.  Has almost no traffic.  It's very popular with bicyclists.  But nothing you can do when somebody decides to hit you on purpose!

I saw this video on Twitter and there's a lot of victim blaming tweets following it.  It's typical for people who never ride a bike to have some animosity towards cyclists. 

I assume that some people watching the video don't realize that the Natchez Trace is a special road.  I could understand people getting upset by side-by-side riding on normal country roads.  But the Natchez Trace is a park road. 

The driver is claiming that he had a bicycle thrown at him.  Um, okay.  If the guy threw the bike at him it wouldn't have been rideable. 

^Also, I told a guy I work with about the video and he immediately demanded was he wearing a helmet?  I was like why does that matter.  He followed up with I asked was he wearing a helmet?, then refused to watch the video. 

I think a lot of the anger toward recreational road bicyclists comes from guys who aren't in shape anymore and they resent that there are 40-60 year-olds out there who stay in shape thanks to an activity that they consider nerdy and feminine. 

Anyone complaining about riding two abreast doesn't get it.  If the lane isn't wide enough for a car to pass a single cyclist safely without crossing the yellow line or violating 3-foot passing laws (which on the Natchez Trace Parkway it's not), then there could be two or three or five cyclists all riding next to each other and it doesn't change anything, passing is still illegal and cyclists are not required to put themselves in danger by riding on the edge of the pavement or encouraging a following vehicle to make an unsafe pass.  In fact a bunch of cyclists riding two or three abreast is easier to pass than a single-file string stretching far down the road.  There's no shoulder on this road either, so even if Tennessee has a law requiring that slow moving vehicles make way after a certain number of vehicles are backed up behind them (one vehicle is not enough), or if like Ohio they allow passing very slow moving vehicles on a double yellow line, there's still zero fault on the cyclists part whether riding two abreast or not. 

Angry white guy intentionally runs over cyclist on the Natchez Trace Parkway, caught on tape:

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/williamson/2017/07/10/man-charged-natchez-trace-parkway-hit-and-run-said-cyclist-threw-bike-his-car/464581001/

I have biked this road about ten times (no, not the entire 400+ mile length!).  It is a limited-access parkway.  Exits are spaced every 7-12 miles.  Has almost no traffic.  It's very popular with bicyclists.  But nothing you can do when somebody decides to hit you on purpose!

Curious, why was the color of his skin intentionally mentioned? I don't get what that has to do with anything?

^As someone who has been heckled and harassed many times while bicycling, I can attest that virtually every single time it's an angry 40-60 year-old white guy in a truck or other macho vehicle.  It's never someone in a compact car.  The only minority I can recall harassing me was a pair of 22~ year-old black girls on Race St. near Findlay Market who honked at me for biking too slowly across the unused streetcar turnouts.  That's it.  Out of dozens and dozens of incidents. 

I got in a pretty awesome shouting match last year in Madisonville.  I wasn't really mad at the guy for passing too closely and honking but I acted like I was and he flipped the hell out.  It was hilarious.  Expensive silver pickup truck, of course.  If I had a gopro it would have a million hits. 

^As someone who has been heckled and harassed many times while bicycling, I can attest that virtually every single time it's an angry 40-60 year-old white guy in a truck or other macho vehicle.  It's never someone in a compact car.  The only minority I can recall harassing me was a pair of 22~ year-old black girls on Race St. near Findlay Market who honked at me for biking too slowly across the unused streetcar turnouts.  That's it.  Out of dozens and dozens of incidents. 

I got in a pretty awesome shouting match last year in Madisonville.  I wasn't really mad at the guy for passing too closely and honking but I acted like I was and he flipped the hell out.  It was hilarious.  Expensive silver pickup truck, of course.  If I had a gopro it would have a million hits. 

That's the difference between someone who saw Bigfoot on TV crushing all those cars and letting nothing get in the truck's way and said "Man, that is sweet" and someone who saw "Rad!" and said "Man, that is sweet."

Anyone complaining about riding two abreast doesn't get it.  If the lane isn't wide enough for a car to pass a single cyclist safely without crossing the yellow line or violating 3-foot passing laws (which on the Natchez Trace Parkway it's not), then there could be two or three or five cyclists all riding next to each other and it doesn't change anything, passing is still illegal and cyclists are not required to put themselves in danger by riding on the edge of the pavement or encouraging a following vehicle to make an unsafe pass.  In fact a bunch of cyclists riding two or three abreast is easier to pass than a single-file string stretching far down the road.  There's no shoulder on this road either, so even if Tennessee has a law requiring that slow moving vehicles make way after a certain number of vehicles are backed up behind them (one vehicle is not enough), or if like Ohio they allow passing very slow moving vehicles on a double yellow line, there's still zero fault on the cyclists part whether riding two abreast or not. 

I agree with this comment.  Also, a lot of drivers do not understand the concept of taking the lane and they view it as a cyclist being a jerk.  They only thing I think about when biking is my own safety.  I am unconcerned with trying to be a jerk to someone driving. 

Cyclists cause drivers a special kind of road rage. The situation of car vs. bike creates something of a superiority complex for the car.

A few years ago I was biking home from a late at night after work. I was waiting at a light on Superior at Public Square when a few close-call speeding cars making turns got me nervous. I'm in the middle of the road feeling like a bowling pin. For my safety I ran the red light before any more cars could get near me.

At the next block a guy slows beside me in his car and is livid, berating me for breaking the law and he's about to have a complete nervous breakdown. But then after he finally realizes I'm not going to fight him or something, he peels out and over the Detroit-Superior bridge easily going twice the speed limit lol.

That's logic for you.

Cyclists cause drivers a special kind of road rage. The situation of car vs. bike creates something of a superiority complex for the car.

A few years ago I was biking home from a late at night after work. I was waiting at a light on Superior at Public Square when a few close-call speeding cars making turns got me nervous. I'm in the middle of the road feeling like a bowling pin. For my safety I ran the red light before any more cars could get near me.

At the next block a guy slows beside me in his car and is livid, berating me for breaking the law and he's about to have a complete nervous breakdown. But then after he finally realizes I'm not going to fight him or something, he peels out and over the Detroit-Superior bridge easily going twice the speed limit lol.

That's logic for you.

This is a function of the whiteness of the Cincinnati area. This in not a predisposition of just older white people. I've seen plenty of drivers of all skin colors and from all over the world here in the DC area get very aggressive with cyclists and pedestrians. It's not a racial thing.

Just this past weekend, I went for a ride with some friends north from San Francisco in to Marin County. Part of the route takes you across the Golden Gate Bridge and down a local access road that passes through a tunnel under HWY 101. The tunnel is narrow; two lanes in each direction with no shoulder, and about 75-100 ft long. When I ride through, in either direction, I always ride in the middle of the the lane. On this particular Saturday, some asshole in a pickup truck decides he wants to pass. This isn't that uncommon, though it is dangerous, as the sightlines are obscured by the curve in the tunnel, but people will pass cyclists in the tunnel all the time - usually tourists. What was uncommon was that this particular asshole decided he was going to squeeze me over while passing by moving right in the lane. By the time he actually passes me, I'm nearly up against the wall and he's only a couple feet from clipping my front tire. I scream 'hey' and wave my arm in case he can't see me, but I can see he's watching my in his side mirror.

At the stop sign just after the tunnel, he has his window down as I catch up (there's a bike lane in the shoulder at this point) and he hollers 'share the lane, bro', to which I respond 'You nearly ran me in to the wall back there'. He repeats himself and starts to pull away, so I said (i thought not loudly enough for him to hear since he was rolling up his window) yeah and you go F*ck yourself. So he slows down and proceeds to pace along side me on this downhill passage in to Sausalito saying 'don't be a tough guy' and I repeat "you almost ran me in to the wall" and he repeats back 'share the road'. So I told him to go f*ck himself again. Eventually he pulls away from me.

Up ahead is an area of rougher pavement, and since it's downhill and I can get up to about 25-30 mph, I took the lane again so that I can be sure I don't wreck in the messy pavement. I see him pass one of my friends again who is also taking the lane, and he squeezes him over to the shoulder.

This whole incident pissed me off to know end because he used the 'share the road' slogan against a cyclist. We have no quick quip to respond with. I was so livid and also a bit frightened by it.

Road biking has always had an effeminate connotation in the United States because of its origins in Europe, similar to soccer.  That said, the late-80s lycra bicycle short trend made absolutely no sense. 

But there is a curious paradox...if you ride a city or mountain bike in the city or on a country road, the passing heckler can pinpoint your character and deliver his cleverest insult.  If you are dolled-up in lycra with a helmet and sunglasses, it's tougher to see just what kind of loser you are.  Geek, Dweeb, or Spaz?  He needs more information.  So you get just a general insult. 

What I've never understood is how the guys in the big pick ups think their truck makes them tough and manly and the bike is weak and girly.  But I have to actually use muscle to move my bike and you only need to press a pedal down to make a truck move.  Just something I always thought was weird.