CMH_Downtown

Columbus: OSU / University Area Developments and News

46 minutes ago, cbussoccer said:

What's the current OSU crane situation? I haven't been by in a while. Have the remaining cranes gone up yet?

As of yesterday, no. And no signs of them. 

• Like 1

On 2/24/2020 at 5:10 PM, ColDayMan said:

Ohio State's Wexner Medical Center ready to build Dublin, west campus outpatient complexes

Ohio State University's Wexner Medical Center is ready to start construction on the next two of four massive outpatient complexes it has planned, in Dublin and on west campus.

Planners are seeking trustee approval this week to start work on the $161.2 million Dublin outpatient center and $132.3 million for the first phase of the larger west campus complex, which joins an also advancing interdisciplinary lab in the new Innovation District laid out in the unviersity's latest master plan.

Construction is well underway on a $137.9 million medical office and outpatient surgery center in Hamilton Quarter in far northeast Columbus near New Albany. Powell is next on the list.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2020/02/24/ohio-states-wexner-medical-center-ready-to-build.html

Cross-posted from the Dublin thread:

The above article also included news about the approval for $132.3 million on the first phase of a larger west campus complex, which joins an also advancing interdisciplinary lab in the new west campus Innovation District laid out in the university's latest master plan.

Design is still under way on a 385,000-square-foot medical center focused on outpatient cancer care, including a $105 million, 60,000-square-foot proton therapy facility in a partnership with Nationwide Children's Hospital.  Other features of the campus include outpatient surgery, radiology, chemotherapy, an extended recovery unit, imaging, retail pharmacy, and clinics.  The entire complex eventually will total $344 million.  The proton center is expected to open in early 2023, and the rest of the medical center and parking garage a year earlier.

Separately, the university is seeking the go-ahead to build the Interdisciplinary Research Facility - also planned for the school's west campus Innovation District.  Construction could start in July on the $237.5 million, 305,000-square-foot laboratory building west of Kenny Road and south of Lane Avenue.

• Like 1

WOSU Building on 14th (2-26-20):

jjcCKc.jpg

Looking north from 14th in front of the WOSU building to "Building A"

jjcJfK.jpg

WOSU rendering (looking north from across 14th): 

image.thumb.png.e9bf9d0364ae97c97175e3bc98b0fd47.png

Edited by NorthShore647
(EDIT - image quality)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

"ENGIE" from that site plan view is the Energy Advancement and Innovation Center. From Ohio State:

"The Energy Advancement and Innovation Center will be co-located in the West Campus innovation district Interdisciplinary Research Facility. The Energy Advancement and Innovation Center will be a hub for Ohio State faculty members, students, alumni, ENGIE researchers, local entrepreneurs and industry experts work together on the next generation of smart energy systems, renewable energy and green mobility solutions. The project is a cornerstone of the university’s public-private partnership with Ohio State Energy Partners (OSEP) who has committed $50 million for the project, including $36.7 million in design and construction costs."

Edited by aderwent

20 hours ago, Columbo said:

Separately, the university is seeking the go-ahead to build the Interdisciplinary Research Facility - also planned for the school's west campus Innovation District.  Construction could start in July on the $237.5 million, 305,000-square-foot laboratory building west of Kenny Road and south of Lane Avenue.

3 hours ago, aderwent said:

Renderings of the West Campus Interdisciplinary Research Facility:

Ohio State seeking construction approval for Interdisciplinary Research Facility

Mon. Feb. 24, 2020

https://buildingthefuture.osu.edu/news/2020/02/24/ohio-state-seeking-construction-approval-interdisciplinary-research-facility

Edited by NorthShore647
  • Thanks 1

Based on the renderings, I'm pretty excited to see how this entire development plays out. I know we all like to see high rises, but this looks like it could/should be a fairly dense urban development. 

These renderings in particular have me pretty excited.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, cbussoccer said:

Based on the renderings, I'm pretty excited to see how this entire development plays out. I know we all like to see high rises, but this looks like it could/should be a fairly dense urban development. 

These renderings in particular have me pretty excited.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Lane Ave is going to be a pretty dense corridor all the way through Upper Arlington in a few years with this combined with projects like Arlington Gateway.

• Like 3

Well, except for...

OSU-CFAES.jpg

• Haha 2

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

OSU trustees approve more than $600M in construction projects, including $220M for new research facility

Ohio State's planned Interdisciplinary Research Facility on the school's west campus is moving forward, with most of the facility’s $237.5 million price tag approved Thursday by the university’s board of trustees.

The five-story laboratory building will host several research disciplines, including biomedical, life sciences, engineering and environmental sciences. Two floors will be dedicated to the new Pelotonia Institute for Immune-Oncology.

The board approved more than $220 million for the 305,000-square-foot project Thursday, which will allow OSU to complete the design phase and enter into construction projects.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2020/02/27/osu-trustees-approve-more-than-600m-in.html

osu-interdisciplinary-research-facility-

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

The right development could bring the next level of Farm to Table dining with a skyline view.... who needs a cart of cuts of meat when the entire cow can be paraded right by the table?

Edited by DTCL11

Moving right along. I was watching iron workers scampering around - not for the faint of heart...

52741678-2E74-49AC-BB70-7679734BAC55.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ohio State construction projects move forward despite Covid-19 outbreak, early campus move-out

ohio-state-framework-2-0-westcampusconne

Ohio State University has several major construction projects in the pipeline, adding up to at least $2.4 billion over the next five years alone.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2020/03/23/ohio-state-construction-projects-move-forward.html

• Like 1

However, it is unclear is OSU's private real estate offshoot company, Campus Partners, is allowed to still continue its projects under the order. Columbus Business First has reached out to Campus Partners to clarify.

From what I've understood, some central Ohio departments of health are interpreting it as construction (including private home contruction/remodel) is not essential and it is expected that most projects in town will likely come to a halt for awhile. I'll be curious to see what the ultimate decision is since the local health departments are the ones making the determination.  Will the big 3 come to the same interpretation or will some see them as essential? I guess we'll know shortly. 

I wish the state had been a little more clear on that. 

Edited by DTCL11

Thanks for sharing. Not thrilled about the choice of windows for the Dentistry building. Very handsome masonry, surprised the windows don't have more detail to match...