Jump to content
Guest seanguy

Columbus: Brewery District Developments and News

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, jonoh81 said:

I don't know, I've always been more of a "why wait to do later what you can do now" kind of person, and I apply that to development.

I mean, that's easy to say when it isn't your money being invested into the project.  If a developer can buy(or already owns) some cheap land, can put a smaller, cheaper building up in a MUCH quicker timeframe, and still make a ton of money, why wouldn't they do it?  The outsiders are coming in with some height because they don't have as much land owned in the market.  They want to maximize their numbers with what they have.  At least that's my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, TH3BUDDHA said:

I mean, that's easy to say when it isn't your money being invested into the project.  If a developer can buy(or already owns) some cheap land, can put a smaller, cheaper building up in a MUCH quicker timeframe, and still make a ton of money, why wouldn't they do it?  The outsiders are coming in with some height because they don't have as much land owned in the market.  They want to maximize their numbers with what they have.  At least that's my opinion.

 

I don't think it's fair to suggest we shouldn't strive for the best possible development unless we're millionaires putting up the money for it.  That's why cities have zoning codes to begin with- to guide development in a certain direction.  If the only consideration is how much money a developer can make rather than what is most beneficial to the city, neighborhood or community as a whole, then why have any standards at all?  Let them do whatever they want anywhere they want and be done with it.  Just because something can be done faster and cheaper doesn't have any relation to the best outcome- unless the only thing we're supposed to worry about is developer profits.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, DevolsDance said:

Quick breakdown of projects that could/should be under construction in 2020. These are not all proposed or currently running projects projects by far but instead ones that are "high impact" projects, projects that will be highly visible and will change the view or feel of the respective areas.

 

Arena District

Chipotle HQ - 4 stories

Parks Edge III - 10 stories

North Market Tower - 26 stories

Hilton Tower - 28 stories

Park Street AC Hotel - 7 stories

Crew Stadium

Confluence Village 

 

Downtown

Library Park/Grant Oak  Apartments - 5 stories + Renovation

Motorists/Encova Apartments - 5 stories

Grant + Mound Apartments - 8 stories

High + Cherry - 7 stories

3rd + Long - 5 Stories

230 E Long - 7 stories

 

Franklinton

Gravity II Residential - 12 stories

Gravity II Office - 6 stories

River + Rich II - 12 stories 

Cover My Meds - 7 stories

Scioto Peninsula Residential - 11 stories

Scioto Peninsula Hotel - 8 stories

Scioto Peninsula Office - 8 stories

 

Short North/VV/IV

Jeffrey Park Tower - 11 stories

Westminster Thurber Tower - 11 stories

Parkside on Pearl - 7 stories 

 

University District 

Medical Center Tower - 20+ stories

15th + High Hotel - 10 stories 

15th + High Mixed-use - 6 stories

WOSU - 6 stories 

King + High Apartments - 7 stories 

 

Again, these are just what I am looking at as "high impact" projects in addition to the Brewery District project above. Based on this list, I think we could possibly see 17-20 tower cranes up in 2020 alone throughout the urban core. 

 

 

 

Thank you for this awesome breakdown!

 

After reading the last page or so, the lack of downtown projects is honestly pretty baffling and depressing.

Edited by Zyrokai

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Zyrokai said:

After reading the last page or so, the lack of downtown projects is honestly pretty baffling and depressing.

 

Lack of downtown projects? There doesn't seem to be a lack of projects to me. There's probably about 1,000 residential units under construction or soon to be under construction in the downtown area, almost all of which will include ground floor retail. Additionally, all of the Arena District projects are actually downtown. If you separate the AD projects, the downtown development seems tame, but the AD is still part of downtown. Two 300-400 foot towers and a soccer stadium, all under construction at the same (at least they should be next year), is nothing to be depressed about. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, DTCL11 said:

There is one line from CBF that gives me pause:

 

 

It seems to imply that the fact that CSX owns the land as still being a big hurdle itself. It makes no mention of actually being in an agreement with CSX, but surely if they are looking for zoning changes and engineering plans, it is because they already have an agreement and not just an attempt to persuade CSX....

 

The Dispatch article yesterday says CSX has been trying to sell the land but has had difficulty due to the challenges at the site:

 

Quote

The land is owned by rail company CSX Transportation, which has been trying to sell it.

 

But despite its attractions — proximity to Downtown, adjacency to a park, river frontage — the site has challenges that have kept developers away.

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not worried about any environmental concerns as we have seen at other sites this has been mitigated. What is concerning is access to the site-the road network. That seems to also be the concern expressed by the city-which seems to see this new proposal in a positive light. I hate to say it, but I would be ok with the city pitching in money to help-because improved access would help the park as well-it would be worth it IMO.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cbussoccer said:

 

Lack of downtown projects? There doesn't seem to be a lack of projects to me. There's probably about 1,000 residential units under construction or soon to be under construction in the downtown area, almost all of which will include ground floor retail. Additionally, all of the Arena District projects are actually downtown. If you separate the AD projects, the downtown development seems tame, but the AD is still part of downtown. Two 300-400 foot towers and a soccer stadium, all under construction at the same (at least they should be next year), is nothing to be depressed about. 

We also get to look forward to the Capitol Square announcement early next year.  Hopefully we get some exciting news there as well.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cbussoccer said:

 

Lack of downtown projects? There doesn't seem to be a lack of projects to me. There's probably about 1,000 residential units under construction or soon to be under construction in the downtown area, almost all of which will include ground floor retail. Additionally, all of the Arena District projects are actually downtown. If you separate the AD projects, the downtown development seems tame, but the AD is still part of downtown. Two 300-400 foot towers and a soccer stadium, all under construction at the same (at least they should be next year), is nothing to be depressed about. 

Thinking more about it, isn't downtown actually bounded by the highways?  So, doesn't it expand west to 315 including East Franklinton and the Scioto Peninsula?  So, in that list, most of the things in the Franklinton section could be considered downtown and Franklinton(West of 315) should really just be CoverMyMeds(and future things coming to Graham Ford and Mount Carmel redevelopment).  Maybe I'm wrong.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, TH3BUDDHA said:

Thinking more about it, isn't downtown actually bounded by the highways?  So, doesn't it expand west to 315 including East Franklinton and the Scioto Peninsula?  

 

Not quite. Franklinton takes out a chunk up to the railroad tracks.

 

This is the adopted city code for downtown. Some of the peninsula is included as of 2013. I'm not sure if it was prior or not. 

 

Edit. Also note that even though this is the boundary, the Franklinton review board has jurisdiction over the peninsula to the river according to the neighborhood commissions map. 

Screenshot_20191205-121346_Chrome.jpg

Edited by DTCL11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, cbussoccer said:

 

Lack of downtown projects? There doesn't seem to be a lack of projects to me. There's probably about 1,000 residential units under construction or soon to be under construction in the downtown area, almost all of which will include ground floor retail. Additionally, all of the Arena District projects are actually downtown. If you separate the AD projects, the downtown development seems tame, but the AD is still part of downtown. Two 300-400 foot towers and a soccer stadium, all under construction at the same (at least they should be next year), is nothing to be depressed about. 

 

 

Yeah.... you're right :P. But it does feel a bit disproportionate. I still consider Arena to be like..... pseudo-downtown even if it is technically. I feel like there is just *so* much potential east of High, not even including Capitol Square. Spring Street especially. So many parking lots. But still, we could do more. I want MORE MORE MORE.

 

More.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Zyrokai said:

 

 

Yeah.... you're right :P. But it does feel a bit disproportionate. I still consider Arena to be like..... pseudo-downtown even if it is technically. I feel like there is just *so* much potential east of High, not even including Capitol Square. Spring Street especially. So many parking lots. But still, we could do more. I want MORE MORE MORE.

 

More.

 

Ok, I see what you are saying. I would definitely agree that there's a TON of potential over there, however we have already seen the ball start rolling. The number of residential units that have been built east of High, and the number under construction or proposed, is pretty significant. There are no breathtaking projects in terms of height, but we have been building a good groundwork. I think it's only a matter of time until we start seeing bigger projects that direction. In fact, based on the engineering application I discovered and posted in the Discovery District thread, we could be seeing a 10-story building out that direction fairly soon. We are clearly headed in the right direction. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/5/2019 at 12:15 PM, DTCL11 said:

 

Not quite. Franklinton takes out a chunk up to the railroad tracks.

 

This is the adopted city code for downtown. Some of the peninsula is included as of 2013. I'm not sure if it was prior or not. 

 

Edit. Also note that even though this is the boundary, the Franklinton review board has jurisdiction over the peninsula to the river according to the neighborhood commissions map. 

Screenshot_20191205-121346_Chrome.jpg

Thanks for posting this official map. Funny how some of the taller proposals(12 floors river and Rich, 12 floors Gravity 2, 30 floors Whittier Peninsula, 10 or so floors Westminster-Thurber,  Jeffrey Park 12 floors etc.)are outside the official CBD. Also the new OSU hospital tower.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...