G3000

Columbus: Franklinton Developments and News

3 minutes ago, aderwent said:

You can also see the Boat House at the confluence of the Scioto and Olentangy rivers. That's owned by the city, and with Crew Stadium coming just across the Olentangy I'd love to see a giant mixed-use project there. Something with some height to see downtown. Offices, hotel, and apartments. 

I would love to see some sort of a high rise, or at least mid rise, development go there as well. It would provide the most beautiful and unique views of the city with the river in the foreground, the entirety of the downtown skyline, the Franklinton skyline that will begin to grow soon, and the ever expanding OSU and Short North skylines. I think it will become so value that it will have to be redeveloped in some way. Hopefully, whatever happens, we can maintain some type of restaurant/event space on the bottom floor.

In other news, has there been any construction activity on Gravity 2.0?

Wow, talk of demoing Confluence Park! That would be total blasphemy in the '90s. It is kinda silly having a boat house on a non-navigable river, especially now that the permanent water level has been lowered so much. Remember that when Conflunce Park opened not only was the river level higher but the Scioto had been dredged for powerboat races. The river filled back in so quickly that the races had to be cancelled after only 3 years.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GCrites80s said:

Wow, talk of demoing Confluence Park! That would be total blasphemy in the '90s. It is kinda silly having a boat house on a non-navigable river, especially now that the permanent water level has been lowered so much. Remember that when Conflunce Park opened not only was the river level higher but the Scioto had been dredged for powerboat races. The river filled back in so quickly that the races had to be cancelled after only 3 years.

Columbus be growin' up.

7 hours ago, cbussoccer said:

I would love to see some sort of a high rise, or at least mid rise, development go there as well. It would provide the most beautiful and unique views of the city with the river in the foreground, the entirety of the downtown skyline, the Franklinton skyline that will begin to grow soon, and the ever expanding OSU and Short North skylines. I think it will become so value that it will have to be redeveloped in some way. Hopefully, whatever happens, we can maintain some type of restaurant/event space on the bottom floor.

In other news, has there been any construction activity on Gravity 2.0?

Confluence Park has some great views but it's so boxed in by highways, on-ramps, and a 6 lane wide spring street, it might as well be confluence island. You could maybe get office users to tolerate that, but I'd have a hard time seeing residential. It's a shame it's so isolated. 

• Like 1

On 10/3/2019 at 8:06 PM, 17thState said:

Confluence Park has some great views but it's so boxed in by highways, on-ramps, and a 6 lane wide spring street, it might as well be confluence island. You could maybe get office users to tolerate that, but I'd have a hard time seeing residential. It's a shame it's so isolated. 

Well, they somehow rented out 600 Goodale, and this location is better than that one.

• Like 4

Confluence park will be a conundrum for awhile I think. There's going to be a natural pull for natural landscape and parkland to promote further restoration and equally for development. I wish the railroads weren't there because that trio of plots are about the only place I could see an interconnected set of mixed use developments that could take root utilizing the river as a draw. Otherwise, I don't see columbus getting much more in terms of waterfront restaurants, shops, etc in the way Bridge Park is utilizing both sides of the river. (Albeit the new side has the frustrating 6 lane separation that is poor planning IMO). I think there is still potential (even with the railroad), that a proper master plan to take mixed used and commercial spaces from 670 to Franklinton along the river is feasible but I believe it's probably too late for that. 

image001.png

4 minutes ago, DTCL11 said:

Confluence park will be a conundrum for awhile I think. There's going to be a natural pull for natural landscape and parkland to promote further restoration and equally for development. I wish the railroads weren't there because that trio of plots are about the only place I could see an interconnected set of mixed use developments that could take root utilizing the river as a draw. Otherwise, I don't see columbus getting much more in terms of waterfront restaurants, shops, etc in the way Bridge Park is utilizing both sides of the river. (Albeit the new side has the frustrating 6 lane separation that is poor planning IMO). I think there is still potential (even with the railroad), that a proper master plan to take mixed used and commercial spaces from 670 to Franklinton along the river is feasible but I believe it's probably too late for that. 

image001.png

Other than the Confluence Village plot I wouldn't build on any of the green space you have marked here. What is wrong with having park space along our rivers? Why must we have restaurants or shops lining something that rises and falls ~25 feet at times throughout a year? I love our natural river front. It's been fantastically done, and one day will stretch up the Olentangy to Ohio State and up the Scioto to Griggs Reservoir. Lined with parks, trails, and river put-ins is all it should be if you ask me.

As far as the Boat House and its lot being developed; I don't see why that would require Confluence Park be "bulldozed". Revamp Confluence Park now that it can stretch further out into the confluence. Build a tower here on the existing plot with parking garage on the lower levels to protect against any possible flooding, with offices, hotel, event space, and residences on top. Seems pretty simple to me.

• Like 2

^My point exactly. Lol. There will always be a pull in either direction. It should be noted that development can compliment conservancy. The proper vision could create a unique and green concept without feeling like a concrete and glass tunnel or your standard copy and paste mixed use we are used to seeing.  Land bridges could be worked into the design to navigate the bungle of roads and railway for a near seamless park like experience. And I'm certainly not suggesting anything be built at the river bed. 

My other point being that other than 2 restaurants, Columbus lacks the experience of riverfront commercial uses that other cities use to their advantage. Not all residents and visitors are looking for simply experiencing the river by visiting a park. If there is a place to do it, this is it. 

It's a 50/50 argument either way. Both have merits. I guess my position is that if the city decides to develop confluence park, something better could potentially be achieved. 

Edited by DTCL11

4 minutes ago, DTCL11 said:

My other point being that other than 2 restaurants, Columbus lacks the experience of riverfront commercial uses that other cities use to their advantage. Not all residents and visitors are looking for simply experiencing the river by visiting a park.

I don't think we are lacking anything by only having these two restaurants along the riverfront. I think the riverfront is amazing and will be even better once Franklinton fills in. 

The only place I would be fine with adding another restaurant would be if we removed Washington Street between Town and Maine. Washington Street is redundant as Starling and Belle can get you back and forth between Main and Front. Removing Washington would allow for the construction of something like Milestone 229 on the west side of the river with great views of downtown while not disrupting the green space we have created along the river.

59 minutes ago, aderwent said:

Build a tower here on the existing plot with parking garage on the lower levels to protect against any possible flooding, with offices, hotel, event space, and residences on top. Seems pretty simple to me.

For me, while a simple tower makes sense and would probably be successful and I wouldn't argue against it, I'd rather see a smaller building with contour, green roof terraces to maintain park elements and access, landscaping that almost allows it to blend in, etc. Which is what I'd also like to see complemented on the entire confluence. 

But hey, I dont have the money, so my vision is pretty pointless. We all know that the boat house will eventually be redeveloped into a less than spectacular project at some point anyway. 

I would like to see a tower along with the lower level things/pedestrian access and experience. Btw, why is this discussion taking place here and not in the Crew Stadium/Confluence Park thread..?

Given the isolated location I would be ok(for this area, if nothing else)with a tower in the park kind of thing. Sort of like a northern Miranova-an island unto itself

MODERATOR NOTE:

Nice discussion about the Confluence Park property where the Boat House Restaurant & Special Events Center at Confluence Park is located ... but this doesn't belong in either this Franklinton thread or the Crew Stadium / Confluence Village thread.  It is not located in either area - as it is located across the river from both of these defined districts.

Plus if any project does happen in the future for the Confluence Park property, it should be in its own stand-alone thread.

Also, this discussion conflated too many confluences.  So, to clear things up:

• Confluence Park is the property just west of where the Scioto River breaks off into the separate Olentangy and Scioto rivers (i.e. the confluence).
  • Confluence Park also is not a park.  The property contains the Boat House Restaurant & Special Events Center at Confluence Park - a restaurant and meeting space.  For instance, it hosts the weekly meeting of the Columbus Metropolitan Club, whose hour-long civic meetings are videotaped for their youtube page and on a local pbs channel.
  • The Boat House Restaurant & Special Events Center at Confluence Park is not a boat house.  That's just the name of the place.  The restaurant was previous called the Confluence Restaurant, to confuse things further!
  • Confluence Park also is not affiliated with the Confluence Village development adjacent to the new Crew Stadium.  Again, "Confluence" is just a name they chose for that development because its located close to the confluence of the Scioto and Olentangy rivers.

So, no more Confluence Park discussion here, please.  If any project does happen in the future for the Confluence Park property, we will create a new thread for it.

Thank you for your understanding.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Columbo said:

MODERATOR NOTE:

Nice discussion about the Confluence Park property where the Boat House Restaurant & Special Events Center at Confluence Park is located ... but this doesn't belong in either this Franklinton thread or the Crew Stadium / Confluence Village thread.  It is not located in either area - as it is located across the river from both of these defined districts.

Plus if any project does happen in the future for the Confluence Park property, it should be in its own stand-alone thread.

Also, this discussion conflated too many confluences.  So, to clear things up:

• Confluence Park is the property just west of where the Scioto River breaks off into the separate Olentangy and Scioto rivers (i.e. the confluence).
  • Confluence Park also is not a park.  The property contains the Boat House Restaurant & Special Events Center at Confluence Park - a restaurant and meeting space.  For instance, it hosts the weekly meeting of the Columbus Metropolitan Club, whose hour-long civic meetings are videotaped for their youtube page and on a local pbs channel.
  • The Boat House Restaurant & Special Events Center at Confluence Park is not a boat house.  That's just the name of the place.  The restaurant was previous called the Confluence Restaurant, to confuse things further!
  • Confluence Park also is not affiliated with the Confluence Village development adjacent to the new Crew Stadium.  Again, "Confluence" is just a name they chose for that development because its located close to the confluence of the Scioto and Olentangy rivers.

So, no more Confluence Park discussion here, please.  If any project does happen in the future for the Confluence Park property, we will create a new thread for it.

Thank you for your understanding.

Consider yourselves moderated!

• Haha 2

Updates to Gravity Project Approved

The second phase of Kaufman Development’s Gravity project was back in front of the East Franklinton Review Board (EFRB) yesterday.

Plans for the development’s two courtyards – one public and accessible from West Broad Street, the other private and meant for occupants of the residential building planned for State Street – were approved by the board, as were design updates for the residential building and for the six-story office building to be built at the corner of West Broad and McDowell Streets.

Still awaiting a detailed landscape design is a plaza planned for the corner of State and McDowell Streets. The applicant will return to the board for approval of that space, and for a final signing-off on graphics and lighting, according to Belkis Schoenhals of the City of Columbus.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

https://www.columbusunderground.com/updates-to-gravity-project-approved-bw1

• Like 5

So I love this project but can someone explain to me how they've spent all this time and money designing this project, but when it came time for the logo someone just looked at their Google GSuite account and was like "let's just use this" 

gravity-web~2.png

gsuite-logo.png

Edit: I guess they did add that dot, so there's that... (I also don't know why this bothers me) 

Edited by 17thState

2 minutes ago, Zyrokai said:

That looks absolutely amazing. This is going to be special.

Also, did you guys see what happened to the new Roosevelt Coffee Shop in the the first Gravity building??? I didn't even get to check it out yet 😞

I really hope they reopen.

They made an Instagram post the next day saying they were open.

Just now, TH3BUDDHA said:

They made an Instagram post the next day saying they were open.

Omg, really? The damage must not be as bad as it seems in the picture, lol.

Thanks. I don't have Instagram.

14 minutes ago, Zyrokai said:

Omg, really? The damage must not be as bad as it seems in the picture, lol.

Thanks. I don't have Instagram.

Yea, I have no idea how they were able to be open so quickly.  Somebody actually commented on the post asking "How are you guys open!?"  All they replied with was, "Why not? See ya soon."  So, not very helpful.  I haven't driven by to see what it looks like.

The second time my first store got broken into, I had only been there about 15 minutes and was still in a shock when a guy walked right in through the broken door with glass shards everywhere. The place was trashed. He was just like "Sorry about the break-in man" and proceeded to buy something like nothing happened. Hey, I'll take it. Bout like the time during last year's eclipse where somebody bought a Beanie Boo during "peak totality". "I don't care, let me at a Beanie Boo."

While I'm a little disappointed in the physical appearance of 2.0 buildings, the overall gravity experience needs to be the bar for Franklinton. It is and going to be something unlike any other part of the city and frankly, many (not all) of our peers, particularly in the midwest.  I hope the commission puts pressure on other developers to take notes when it comes to developing the other large plots owned by others nearby in terms of materials, shapes, public spaces, art, etc. Franklinton needs to be the most original part of the city IMO. 

Edited by DTCL11
  • Like 1

Ironically, Franklinton IS the original part of the city.

• Like 3

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

21 hours ago, cbussoccer said:

Updates to Gravity Project Approved

The second phase of Kaufman Development’s Gravity project was back in front of the East Franklinton Review Board (EFRB) yesterday.

Plans for the development’s two courtyards – one public and accessible from West Broad Street, the other private and meant for occupants of the residential building planned for State Street – were approved by the board, as were design updates for the residential building and for the six-story office building to be built at the corner of West Broad and McDowell Streets.

Still awaiting a detailed landscape design is a plaza planned for the corner of State and McDowell Streets. The applicant will return to the board for approval of that space, and for a final signing-off on graphics and lighting, according to Belkis Schoenhals of the City of Columbus.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

https://www.columbusunderground.com/updates-to-gravity-project-approved-bw1

I frequently knock Kaufman, but they hit this one out of the park!

On my drive home on 670 everyday, I've started to notice that CoverMyMeds HQ is beginning to become visible from the highway.  I decided to swing over there after work today.  It's hard to get a great shot because of how it's fenced off and blocked by some buildings, so I grabbed some from Orange Barrel Media's parking lot.

This picture shows the building in comparison to the highway level:

20191029_180052.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, TH3BUDDHA said:

Also, Pizzuti has put up signage around the Graham Ford lot.  This has to be pretty recent as I've driven by there not too long ago:

20191029_180647.jpg

20191029_180643.jpg

Was there a proposal for this space? I'm drawing a blank if there was. 

1 hour ago, TH3BUDDHA said:

Also, Pizzuti has put up signage around the Graham Ford lot.  This has to be pretty recent as I've driven by there not too long ago:

20191029_180647.jpg

20191029_180643.jpg

This happened I believe on Friday, I drove past Thursday and it wasn't there, then again on Sunday and noticed it for the first time.

• Like 1

So are they advertising space in a yet-to-be-announced project or are they fishing for potential investors in one that doesn't exist yet?

12 minutes ago, jonoh81 said:

So are they advertising space in a yet-to-be-announced project or are they fishing for potential investors in one that doesn't exist yet?

Looks like they are fishing. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, cbussoccer said:

Looks like they are fishing. 

That was my guess too, it doesn't appear anywhere on their website or on any land lease sites so they are likely casting a line to see what they catch. Sometimes developers will do this to gauge of area interest as well as a kicking off point for large site development like this. It is a lot easier to assemble a site plan and design if you have a "keystone" piece as opposed to just looking at a blank slate and trying to build something marketable. What is unfortunate about this strategy though is the development scale and form will be almost completely dependent on whoever reaches out to them and commits. 

Edited by DevolsDance
  • Like 1

The thing I like about the Pizzuti property, is mainly it's location.  I know much of the initial "buzz" will be more East where CDDC will be building out all the land near the river and museums.  You have Casto on the South end of the peninsula, Kauffman with their Gravity on the Northern end and a bunch of NRI owned land in between that inevitably will be developed with time.  Pizzuti however starts to push development further West down Broad Street on the other side of 315.  That along with Mt. Carmel being torn down in future years and becoming ripe for development as well, I think this area helps propel the momentum more West, which is much needed.

I've marked up a map displaying the current standings.  (BTW I hate how google earth does not have the updated completed Vets Museum or Dorian park with COSI).  I've also marked out in yellow Broad, Sullivant and Souder.  I feel Broad will benefit the most obviously from the continual investment going West, however I think there is some trickle down potential for Sullivant to slowly Benefit from Franklinton's cleanup as well.  I also think that the parking lots on the North side of Broad across from the current Mt. Carmel site are ripe for future development.  Souder acts as such a connector across the river over to Spring street and the future Crew Stadium and Arena District.  With Cover My Meds building right off that access road, I only see this street becoming more vital to the area.  It will definitely be fun to watch the next 10-20 years as this area really fills in and cleans up.

Franklinton.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

In terms of Souder, that's been a fun thought experiment for me lately as well. I'm not sure its thought of as a gateway or corridor (yet) as much as it could be but I hope that the city, developers,  and commission come together with a vision of how to make those several blocks into a proper gateway.  

As for gravity. I've been spending a fair amount of time there and as much as I love it, I can't help but go back to a big complaint of mine on stand alone garages.  Even if they had put a green roof or solar panels on it (although preferably a couple floors of additional units would have been preferred), the garage remains a massive part of the project and seems underutilized when looking at the project as a whole. It's a minor, yet major detail that I think could have pushed it over the finish line into territory that's relatively unheard of in many places. 

In addition to the areas mapped out above, NRIs area is outlined here. Hopefully the feel the pressure soon to sell more land or finally develop it. (Note, this is a bit dated as NRI sold a plot For Gravity 2.0) edit: And some of the plots that are surrounded by NRI have since been acquired giving them all but a couple tiny plots in that massive block. 

Screenshot_20191030-160227_Chrome.jpg

Edited by DTCL11
  • Like 1