G3000

Columbus: Franklinton Developments and News

Super excited for this project. I think Gravity 1.0 came together really well and it looks like they used quality materials that will still look good in 10 years, unlike alot of new builds. 

15 hours ago, cbussoccer said:

This aerial view has been added to show how Gravity 2 will mesh with Gravity 1 and the rest of the skyline.

spacer.png

Look at all that room for dense growth!

• Like 1

I am beyond excited to see this phase kick off and overall am still pretty content with the design and massing changes, however, it's interesting that Kaufman really walks the 12 story midrise line so often. I'm curious if anyone may have any insight as to why?  I've always heard that cost increases hit once buildings reach 6 and 10 floors due to HVAC, fire, and material code but I have never hears anything about something that changes above 12 floors. I guess I just wonder why we keep seeing that 12 floor number hit so often with Kaufman instead of some variety like 15 or 20. Maybe it's purely aesthetic or just a formula they like and are familiar with. Anyway, just a question for someone more architecturally minded than myself.

Also, don't get me wrong, I am completely content adding these midrises (I count five 12-story buildings in the last 5 years?!) all over the core until land value can facilitate taller structures... they seem to do a ton for density and the street wall while never really feeling overpowering.

Until Columbus ditches 30-minute lunches, buildings over 12-15 stories are detrimental to street life at all times. You can't even get out of the building in time to eat.

I'd like to see Franklinton go full Scandanavia and keep building more Gravity-type projects all over the peninsula. Maybe even add some canals for the heck of it, too.

• Like 6

“To an Ohio resident - wherever he lives - some other part of his state seems unreal.”

Slideshow: See inside Mount Carmel's new Franklinton ER

A new freestanding Mount Carmel Emergency Room in Franklinton opened May 28 to replace the previous ER slated for demolition along with the rest of Mount Carmel West hospital.  The $9 million renovation of a former outpatient surgery center, at the corner of Green and Town streets, provides a more efficient workflow, and plenty of natural light, unlike the hospital's formerly windowless ER space.

With the opening of the Mount Carmel Grove City hospital, the Columbus-based Mount Carmel Health System is spending about $46 million to remake Mount Carmel West's Franklinton campus into an outpatient and health-education hub.  There are several moving puzzle pieces: Mount Carmel Grove City opened last month, replacing West's inpatient rooms.  The four-hospital system's central lab moves out next, and then utilities must be disentangled so the hospital can be demolished without harming the existing Mount Carmel College of Nursing on the Franklinton campus – which will then expand.

Columbus-based Wagenbrenner Development has started focus-group meetings in the neighborhood as it designs commercial and residential buildings to replace the hospital and surface parking lots.

MORE:  https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2019/05/28/slideshow-see-inside-mount-carmels-new-franklinton.html

Franklinton is divided by Route 315 into two sections.  East Franklinton - east of 315 - has been getting the bulk of development news and projects (Gravity, River & Rich, Out of Town, 400 West Rich, Gravity 2.0).  West Franklinton - west of 315 - hasn't yet seen its area heat up like the eastern section closer to downtown.

However, West Franklinton may be getting its time in the spotlight.  The Mount Carmel West hospital campus is set for a radical makeover, now that Mount Carmel has moved its main inpatient hospital services to its newly opened Grove City location.  And there was this recent article in the Dispatch about three new residential projects being proposed in West Franklinton:

https://www.dispatch.com/news/20190615/requests-to-reduce-parking-for-franklinton-apartments-worry-residents

Here are the three residential projects mentioned in the above linked article and a location map for the projects:

• 96 N. Hartford Avenue -- 30-unit apartment building being developed by NRP Group, a Cleveland-based company
  • 1137 W. Broad Street -- 70-unit senior complex being developed by National Church Residences
  • 731 W. Rich Street -- 43-unit apartment project across from the Mount Carmel West campus

48126690172_9f87f54280_o_d.png

Affordable Housing Projects Proposed for Franklinton

A trio of affordable housing proposals in Franklinton are working their way through the city’s approval process.

At 731 W. Rich St., the Finance Fund has proposed building a three-story, 43-unit apartment complex on what is currently a vacant lot. An application for a council variance for the project has been submitted and it has been presented to the Franklinton Area Commission.

The proposed building would sit across the street from the Mount Carmel West campus, which is still home to an emergency department as well as the Mount Carmel College of Nursing and Healthy Living Center. Wagenbrenner Development is heading up efforts to develop the rest of the site.

More below:

https://www.columbusunderground.com/affordable-housing-projects-proposed-for-franklinton-bw1

Screen-Shot-2019-07-01-at-1.37.59-PM-115

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Columbus mulls incentives for $120M Franklinton project

gravity-phase-ii-nbbj-a1*750xx5000-2813-

The second phase of the Gravity project in Franklinton includes a 12-story tower.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2019/07/12/columbus-mulls-incentives-for-120m-franklinton.html

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

An artistic and gritty addition to Franklinton.  Wild Goose Creative is adding an East Franklinton location that is within a block of 400 West Rich, Land-Grant Brewing and the recently completed River & Rich development.  It is also located on the same block as the BrewDog pub bar:

wild-goose-creative-franklinton-750x550.

Wild Goose Creative Expands to Franklinton

Wild Goose Creative (WGC) has announced the signing of a new space in Franklinton at 188 S. McDowell Street.  The community arts organization has resided at 2491 Summit Street in SoHud (South of Hudson) since 2008, but says it can and wants to do more.

Among WGC’s plans are providing more space for new and ongoing programming; supporting more expansive art installations, performances and other media; and creating a brand new lounge for members to meet, work and converse.

MORE:  https://www.columbusunderground.com/wild-goose-creative-expands-to-franklinton-tm1

On 3/20/2018 at 4:43 PM, ColDayMan said:

Apartments and Retail Proposed for Vacant Lot in East Franklinton

A three-story apartment building has been proposed for the northwest corner of West State and South Mill streets in East Franklinton. The project would feature 13 one-bedroom units and a 1,140-square-foot corner retail space.

The East Franklinton Review Board (EFRB) will weigh in on the proposal at its meeting later today. The developer is Shawn Kichline of Oxide Real Estate Development.

More below:

https://www.columbusunderground.com/apartments-and-retail-proposed-for-vacant-lot-in-east-franklinton-bw1

548-W-State-St-aerial.png?resize=620%2C349&ssl=1

This 3-story, 13-unit apartment building with corner retail space approved for the northwest corner of State and Mill streets in East Franklinton is under construction.  Photo posted 7/23 by CU at https://www.columbusunderground.com/construction-roundup-columbus-ohio-we1

cons-july-22.jpg

With all development occurring in Franklinton, when I saw that the Spaghetti Warehouse property at 397 W. Broad Street was up for sale, I thought "say goodbye to the Spaghetti Warehouse".  But according to this report from Business First, it looks like the longtime restaurant isn't leaving:

Franklinton restaurant site for sale — here's what it means for a longtime Columbus eatery

The Spaghetti Warehouse property is up for sale, but the longtime Columbus restaurant isn’t going anywhere.  “The sale would have no effect on us,” Mike Kim, president of Dallas-based Spaghetti Warehouse Restaurants Inc., said.  “We love that restaurant. We love Columbus. We’ve been doing extremely well and there is no intention to leave.”

The restaurant, which opened in 1978 at 397 W. Broad Street, also has 13 years remaining on its current lease.  Kim said the restaurant is one of the nine-unit company’s best performing.  Its 2017 sales were its best year ever and though that dipped in 2018, that year proved to be its second best ever.  With more development now coming to that stretch of West Broad, the company expects sales to remain strong.

The owner of the multiple parcels that make up the site has listed the property for sale through Kohr Royer Griffith Inc. for $6 million.  According to Franklin County property records, the owner is Spag 397 LLC.  That entity was incorporated by the Thomas family, which has owned the building since at least the 1970s.

MORE:  https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2019/07/29/franklinton-restaurant-site-for-sale-heres-what-it.html

There’s so much room on that piece of land, they should have no trouble adding one or two buildings while still keeping the warehouse building. I wonder if they could connect the southern half of the property to State so something could front that street?

Oh man, 2020 looks like its going to be an amazing year!

The Franklinton Commission packet has Casto proposing a 12 story second phase for the River & Rich development!  Looks like they are planning to develop west of the recently completed Phase I, this is the glass lot that sits between River & Rich and Dodge park. 

QUICK FACTS 

- 48,000 SQ/FT of Office

- 304 Residential Units, 20 "Affordable" Units 

- 397 space 3 story Garage (will help support a Phase II & future phases) 

115149904_ScreenShot2019-09-16at1_40_10PM.thumb.png.6f430aadb029815d41770a11090dd70a.png

381726722_ScreenShot2019-09-16at1_40_16PM.thumb.png.157d09a4812414c2845083fe87f812a4.png

1249916946_ScreenShot2019-09-16at1_43_20PM.png.45826f07f5bef071236cf5aed953c8e3.png

861741484_ScreenShot2019-09-16at1_43_32PM.thumb.png.e6aaa9e6e628e01ddb38a1f656881b0d.png

I think we may be starting to see the beginning stages of a development boom in Columbus, the recent string of proposals/announcements are incredibly exciting to see!

More details in the meeting materials link below

https://columbusohdev.app.box.com/s/2dpi2iu88meq1li5nmpqw91f3aklwd54

Edited by DevolsDance
  • Like 4
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 3

On 8/20/2019 at 8:24 AM, NightNectar said:

Equipment arriving at the gravity 2.0 site within the past week. Should see dirt moving soon. 

A96E5F55-B196-4C74-8103-98882E9A766D.jpeg

Has anyone seen any movement at the Gravity 2.0 site?

That's an incredible amount of parking. It's a 2:1 ratio (understanding there is am office component) but it still stands out. I really wish the city would start requiring any stand alone decks be built to allow 1st floor conversion and additional structures on top in the future. Would seem a natural expansion of many of these areas would be to build on top of decks. Or at least green space to promote a more sustainable city.  

I also hope there is space included for more public art. A giant mural would be great. 

Otherwise, it looks great. 

Edited by DTCL11
  • Like 1

Just now, DTCL11 said:

That's an incredible amount of parking. It's a 2:1 ratio (understanding there is am office component) but it still stands out. I really wish the city would start requiring any stand alone decks be built to allow 1st floor conversion and additional structures on top in the future. Would seem a natural expansion of many of these areas would be to build on top of decks. Or at least green space to promote a more sustainable city.  

The parking is also going to support a third phase which, I would imagine, has a pretty good chance of being at least 12-stories. 

Just now, cbussoccer said:

The parking is also going to support a third phase which, I would imagine, has a pretty good chance of being at least 12-stories. 

That makes more sense then. The other requirements should still come from the city for the hopeful day when not as much parking is required. 

2 minutes ago, DTCL11 said:

That makes more sense then. The other requirements should still come from the city for the hopeful day when not as much parking is required. 

I agree with that. Let's see all the details about this first though. It may be in the plans to have those features. 

6 minutes ago, DTCL11 said:

I agree on this as well, all these projects with parking need to be adaptable or better integrated but the ratio can be explained by being built to support a Phase III at some point in the future. 

Below are the notes from the commission, it seems they finally aren't worried about height but instead how the parking is handled. Looks like they are pushing for a bit more public space and the garage to look less like a garage. I will admit that while I have some qualms with this commissions, this is using their power for good. 

•Street trees along the entirety of McDowell, West Cherry, and Gift Streets,

•Additional landscaping and headlight screening along the perimeter of the covered parking area to mitigate any visual impacts,

•Sidewalk along the entire east side of May Ave.

•Reconfigure the parking garage to accommodate residential units along Gift St.

•Public space, such as a courtyard or plaza, be incorporated in a future phase of development.

Edited by DevolsDance
  • Like 2

And I just caught the '20 affordable units.' Not even 5% of the total 500+ development as a whole. In an area that was largely impoverished to begin with. And while I understand the development is meant to be CMHA's money maker to provide additional services and funds from the profits, I feel as though they have a duty to still hit that 10% mark to allow affordability in these large complexes. 

Edited by DTCL11

On 5/22/2019 at 10:36 AM, BigDipper 80 said:

I'd like to see Franklinton go full Scandanavia and keep building more Gravity-type projects all over the peninsula. Maybe even add some canals for the heck of it, too.

So, in theory, a full riverwalk/board walk was actually feasible through Franklinton. It's a project I had always pondered and I'm sure others too. A diversion in the Scioto could be cut in the north and exit somewhere around dodge park. The flow would be heavily regulated and would not allow flooding much like san antonio. It's far too late for such a project to take place given the amount of development but at one time, it may have been possible. And with the focus on returning the scioto to it's natural state, I don't anticipate a true commercialization/utilization of the river in the form of shops and restaurants along the banks at any point in the future. (Bridge park doesn't count)

3 hours ago, DevolsDance said:

Oh man, 2020 looks like its going to be an amazing year!

The Franklinton Commission packet has Casto proposing a 12 story second phase for the River & Rich development!  Looks like they are planning to develop west of the recently completed Phase I, this is the glass lot that sits between River & Rich and Dodge park. 

QUICK FACTS 

- 48,000 SQ/FT of Office

- 304 Residential Units, 20 "Affordable" Units 

- 397 space 3 story Garage (will help support a Phase II & future phases) 

115149904_ScreenShot2019-09-16at1_40_10PM.thumb.png.6f430aadb029815d41770a11090dd70a.png

381726722_ScreenShot2019-09-16at1_40_16PM.thumb.png.157d09a4812414c2845083fe87f812a4.png

1249916946_ScreenShot2019-09-16at1_43_20PM.png.45826f07f5bef071236cf5aed953c8e3.png

861741484_ScreenShot2019-09-16at1_43_32PM.thumb.png.e6aaa9e6e628e01ddb38a1f656881b0d.png

I think we may be starting to see the beginning stages of a development boom in Columbus, the recent string of proposals/announcements are incredibly exciting to see!

More details in the meeting materials link below

https://columbusohdev.app.box.com/s/2dpi2iu88meq1li5nmpqw91f3aklwd54

This is great news. East Franklinton is booming. Let it be a trend that the 'go to' for new development in and around downtown has progressed from the six story first floor concrete/top5 floor wood frame box...to the 10, 11, or 12 foot highrise!

*This, Gravity 2, The Scioto Peninsula first proposal, the new Spring street condo towers, the proposed 11 story building at the retirement village, the new 12 floor  hotel on Nationwide, etc. (probably forgetting some too). Maybe we are really breaking away from the oh so common six story box?

Edited by Toddguy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Toddguy said:

This is great news. East Franklinton is booming. Let it be a trend that the 'go to' for new development in and around downtown has progressed from the six story first floor concrete/top5 floor wood frame box...to the 10, 11, or 12 foot highrise!

*This, Gravity 2, The Scioto Peninsula first proposal, the new Spring street condo towers, the proposed 11 story building at the retirement village, the new 12 floor  hotel on Nationwide, etc. (probably forgetting some too). Maybe we are really breaking away from the oh so common six story box?

I hope we will be getting high rises much taller than 12 feet 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, cbussoccer said:

We'll be lucky to see a 12 foot highrise out of Arshot anytime soon. 🙄

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, DTCL11 said:

And I just caught the '20 affordable units.' Not even 5% of the total 500+ development as a whole. In an area that was largely impoverished to begin with. And while I understand the development is meant to be CMHA's money maker to provide additional services and funds from the profits, I feel as though they have a duty to still hit that 10% mark to allow affordability in these large complexes. 

The information provided from https://columbusohdev.app.box.com/s/2dpi2iu88meq1li5nmpqw91f3aklwd54/folder/79315184291 was 20 affordable units in the total 304 housing units that is part of the conceptual development plan presented to the East Franklinton Review Board.  That would be just over 6.5 percent affordable units.

The information from https://columbusohdev.app.box.com/s/2dpi2iu88meq1li5nmpqw91f3aklwd54/file/523152480015 in the quote box below:

APPLICATION: EF-19-09-003

ADDRESS: 240 S.MC DOWELL ST

PROPERTY OWNER: CMHA

APPLICANT: CASTO

TO BE REVIEWED: RIVER AND RICH 2 CONCEPTUAL DEVELOPMENT PLAN

The applicant is requesting a conceptual review of the River and Rich 2 mixed-use development located on approximately 5 acres. The project would redevelop the blocks bounded by W. Rich St. and W. Cherry St. to the north, McDowell St. to the east, the Dodge Park Recreation Center to the south, and Gift St. and May Ave. to the west, within the Arts & Innovation and Dodge Park sub-districts.

The mixed-use development plan includes the following:

• A 12 story mixed use building with 109 ground floor car parking spaces, 4,800 SF of office, and 180 residential units

• A 4 story residential apartment building with 124 units and amenity spaces

• 20 affordable housing units

• A 3 story parking garage with 288 car parking spaces

The total counts are as follows:

• 48,100 SF Office

• 304 residential units (including 20 affordable units)

• 397 parking spaces

The submittal includes a conceptual site plan, conceptual renderings, and context photos.

32 minutes ago, Columbo said:

The information provided from https://columbusohdev.app.box.com/s/2dpi2iu88meq1li5nmpqw91f3aklwd54/folder/79315184291 was 20 affordable units in the total 304 housing units that is part of the conceptual development plan presented to the East Franklinton Review Board.  That would be just over 6.5 percent affordable units.

The less than 5% includes the original 230 units from phase 1. I could have specified that better.  The entire River&Rich project, to my understanding, is a collaboration between Casto and CMHA. The initial phases that were completed earlier this year included no affordable housing which would then support a calculation of 3.7% affordable for the entire 534 unit complex thus far. The last phase may very well drive that down even lower. But again, no matter how you run the numbers, it doesn't meet the 10% that I believe to be a reasonable amount for such a large development. Which goes back to my original thought as to understanding it's supposed to be a money maker for CMHA to use the funds elsewhere but is there also a responsibility to set a standard for in place affordable housing in the fabric of these projects and neighborhoods?

Edited by DTCL11

12 hours ago, DTCL11 said:

The less than 5% includes the original 230 units from phase 1. I could have specified that better.  The entire River&Rich project, to my understanding, is a collaboration between Casto and CMHA. The initial phases that were completed earlier this year included no affordable housing which would then support a calculation of 3.7% affordable for the entire 534 unit complex thus far. The last phase may very well drive that down even lower. But again, no matter how you run the numbers, it doesn't meet the 10% that I believe to be a reasonable amount for such a large development. Which goes back to my original thought as to understanding it's supposed to be a money maker for CMHA to use the funds elsewhere but is there also a responsibility to set a standard for in place affordable housing in the fabric of these projects and neighborhoods?

Are you sure the first phase didn't include any affordable units? This article from the Dispatch says "Casto’s River and Rich project will have 230 units, 50 of which must be 'affordable housing.'" Did that change?

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, .justin said:

Are you sure the first phase didn't include any affordable units? This article from the Dispatch says "Casto’s River and Rich project will have 230 units, 50 of which must be 'affordable housing.'" Did that change?

I'm not sure. They haven't boasted or posted much about it then other than this dispatch article. I hadn't looked into the dispatch articles. None of the CU articles mention affordable housing and according to an early interview with CMHA, the plan was all market rate and if there was going to be affordability, it seems the city was going to have to subsidize it. 

Q: The apartments in this development, are they all going to be market-rate?

A: Yes, it’s a market-rate redevelopment. I will say we are committed to a percentage of what I call affordable market and what the mayor might call workforce housing. And so people ask me about the rent range – it’s hard to answer what the starting rent will be, because I don’t know what the city investment will be to support that starting rent. Because the thing about developing workforce housing is it really requires a public investment to bring those rents down. To have a commensurate investment to offset cost of construction, so you can afford, as an operator, to offer those rents at an affordable rate.

Perhaps the dispatch article (which is newer) has additional information but it's the only place It appears that a number has been attached to the initial phase. If there are affordable units there, the city and Casto and press have made little to no mention of it. And if so, then that's very welcome news. 

15 hours ago, cbussoccer said:

Of course! lol. But it would be nice to have the basic sort of default for projects be higher than the six story box. And we are getting our first real skyscrapers (higher than 100 meters) with The North Market tower and the Hotel tower...how long has it been? has to be close to 30 years for a new building over 100 meters. That is a long drought that will be broken finally.

*I had thought that regarding this parcel, that some of it would have to be parkland?

51 minutes ago, Toddguy said:

Of course! lol. But it would be nice to have the basic sort of default for projects be higher than the six story box. And we are getting our first real skyscrapers (higher than 100 meters) with The North Market tower and the Hotel tower...how long has it been? has to be close to 30 years for a new building over 100 meters. That is a long drought that will be broken finally.

*I had thought that regarding this parcel, that some of it would have to be parkland?

We got pretty close with Miranova (96M in 2001). That was still 18 years ago though...  OSU’s James is also close (90.5), but not anywhere near downtown either. 

I do think we’re in the midst of a transition in height, and slowly but surely the 4-7 story proposed buildings downtown are going disappear in lieu of 8-12+, which is tremendously exciting. 

Edited by FudgeRounds

12-Story Building Part of New Franklinton Proposal

River-and-Rich-Phase-2-2-620x381.jpg

The developers behind the River & Rich project are bringing a plan for its second phase to the East Franklinton Review Board this afternoon.

The first phase of the development, which opened last spring, consists of 230 apartments, a 300-space public parking garage and approximately 30,000 square feet of retail space.

The proposed second phase calls for an additional 304 residential units, 48,000 square feet of office space and 397 parking spaces. The most distinctive feature of the proposal, though, is a 12-story tower that would sit at the end of McDowell Street, providing views across the Scioto River to downtown.

More below:

https://www.columbusunderground.com/12-story-building-part-of-new-franklinton-proposal

River-and-Rich-Phase-2-1150x550.jpg

On 9/16/2019 at 2:43 PM, cbussoccer said:

Has anyone seen any movement at the Gravity 2.0 site?

I’ll stop in at Stauf’s tomorrow morning for a cold brew to see if any movement has occurred since I snapped that photo

• Like 1

Let this settle in.. a 12 story tower is proposed for an empty lot in Franklinton, yet the corner of high and gay got a 6 story eye sore. I’m glad I’m not a betting individual because I would have put the mortgage on the polar opposite occurring.

On 9/16/2019 at 3:26 PM, DTCL11 said:

The CU article has been updated to state that 20% of the total number of units will be "affordable" units. So, assuming 230 total units, there will be 46 "affordable" units. Does that tickle your fancy, or does it still not reach your arbitrary threshold of affordableness. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The picture of the Short North @cbussoccer posted came from someone on Flickr that took a ton of pictures of construction progress across Columbus.

48787424212_5cf6067e4b_h.jpg

Here you can see CoverMyMeds' HQ under construction. You can also see the Boat House at the confluence of the Scioto and Olentangy rivers. That's owned by the city, and with Crew Stadium coming just across the Olentangy I'd love to see a giant mixed-use project there. Something with some height to see downtown. Offices, hotel, and apartments. Anyway, I love seeing the river get low like this. The islands and extended peninsulas didn't exist ten years ago. The ecological rebuilding is coming along swimmingly!

• Like 2