Sign in to follow this  
Guest mrnyc

NYC: Brooklyn Atlantic Yards

hold on to your hats.....

but first some background info:

What is Forest City Ratner?

Forest City Ratner is a subsidiary of Cleveland based Forest City Enterprises, the largest publicly traded real estate development corporation in the United States. Bruce Ratner is the CEO and President of Forest City Ratner (FCR). FCR's headquarters are in the Metrotech office complex in Downtown Brooklyn. FCR is best known in Brooklyn for constructing Metrotech, the Atlantic Center Mall, and the Atlantic Terminal Mall.

What is Bruce Ratner's “Atlantic Yards” Proposal?

16 Skyscrapers and an Arena that will cost taxpayers nearly $2 billion, according to independent analysis. While the arena is most of what you hear about the project, it is a very small part of this plan. 90% of the scheme is skyscrapers which would rise up to 53 stories high, taller than the iconic Williamsburg Savings Bank, and cast shadows as far as DeKalb Avenue in Fort Greene.

This project would fill seven large blocks, from Flatbush to Vanderbilt Avenues, and from Atlantic Avenue to Dean Street. That’s almost 1.5 times the size of the entire World Trade Center site.

3-5 additional skyscrapers are also proposed by the developer on Atlantic Avenue and Flatbush, on the current sites of the Atlantic Center Mall, PC Richards, and Modells.

some more quick grounding, this mega-development is on the edge of downtown brooklyn

footprint_small.gif

one more background leadup pic -- this is the only previous rendering we had

gehry_small.jpg

link -- there is more here:

http://www.curbed.com/archives/2006/05/11/ratnerville_update_frank_gehrys_latest_revealed.php#more

They sure do think in large-scale terms in NYC.  That is a ridiculously huge project...its like the Banks x3!  I have no idea what to even think about the architecture of the bldgs yet...still in shock. :-o

^i know, and for more reasons than just it's looks, right? ugh.

come on already fcr, can't we get even a small piece of this kind of development back home in downtown cleveland??? sheesh. get in the game back home willyas !?!!

it's nice to know that this can all happen with the opposition of thousands of residents whose lives will be affected for decades to come.  I used to live on the corner of Dekalb & So. Oxford, which is about 4 large blocks from here, so to think of the shadows reaching that far is pretty mind-boggling.  I can't help but wonder how the public would be responding if Ratner hadn't already built two shitty structures at the same intersection in recent history...maybe they'd believe that he was capable of doing work that wasn't half-assed and contextually out of place.  Not that he cares what they think!

looka what gehry is doing to/in brighton, england:

4.jpg

From the blog Veritas et Venustas comes the amusing comparison of Atlantic Yards starchitect Frank Gehry’s words about Brooklyn and Brighton, England.

Gehry said of Brooklyn and his Miss Brooklyn tower: "We're trying to understand what is Brooklyn, what is the body language of Brooklyn, and trying to emulate it without copying it. Copying it would trivialize it."

And of his seaside project in Brighton? "One thing that impresses me is the Victorian character of the town," he says. "I've got this picture of the maidens in their floating dresses in Brighton on the wall of my office. It's a kind of inspiration and the towers now do look as if they relate to that."

link:

http://www.curbed.com/archives/2006/05/18/a_bride_for_brooklyn_and_a_maiden_for_brighton.php

ps --- not gehry, but here's some brighton marina development. looks a lot like what people are planning for the cleveland the port authority property:

9.jpg

ratners atlantic yards was given final approval today. video on the ny1 link and lots of commentary on the blog link below:

NewYorkMagazine-Rendering.jpg

for more views --- a mega-rendering pic link here:

http://www.amny.com/sports/am-atlanticyards-pg,0,6487135.photogallery?index=11

Dec 21, 2006     

Top Stories 

PACB Gives Atlantic Yards Green Light

December 20, 2006

After hours of delays, the $4 billion Atlantic Yards project was finally given the go-ahead by a key state board Wednesday.

video here:

http://www.ny1.com/ny1/content/index.jsp?stid=1&aid=65262

the bloggy dish here:

http://www.curbed.com/archives/2006/12/20/breaking_atlantic_yards_project_approved_really.php

Damn...why don't they just build DT Dayton..just on a whim in Brooklyn.  I envy the shear size of projects in NYC!!

You realize the entire office space lost in the World Trade Center's demise (9/11) was the equivalent of Downtown Cincinnati, right?

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

I hate frank gehry.  I enjoy the simpson's episode where he is mocked, yet I am unhappy he has enough notoriety to be the focus of a simpson's episode.  It is quite the dilemma.

You realize the entire office space lost in the World Trade Center's demise (9/11) was the equivalent of Downtown Cincinnati, right?

No, but it doesn't surprise me...NYC is trully special!

I like Gehry and I do like the Peter B Lewis building. Sure it could have been better, but its exterior is interesting and the interior is so cool.

However, I've had enough of his signature style. We have enough of the curvy metallic Gehry buildings on this planet

^I'm with you Wim on the PBL building, but I'm actually a little excited to see what a whole Gehry 'hood is going to look like.  Not excited to see what this does to Brooklyn traffic, however.  NYC Traffic and its side effects are already major bummers.

I remember being in this part of Brooklyn, and recalling that the immediate surrounding buildings weren't all that tall.  I'm concerned about the scale of this.  I kind of expected this from Gehry.  Although, the buildings on the edges look they were bought form Gehry at discount. 

Not really a big fan of this project.

When I lived in Brooklyn, I live close to the neighborhood, and the "brownstone" neighborhoods will suffer from this massive neighborhood.  I wonder how they are going to intergrate this.

Most of the people I know in this area, have not embracced this project.  I can remember when pathmark was built and the south oxford tennis club was still standing.

I almost bought a brownstone on St. Felix, but the subway (d train) had problems during reconstruction/renovation and part of the street caved in, so I was like no thanks.  Had I bought there, I would have thought of pathmark as a convienience, now with atlantic center there and the thousands of extra people in the area, its become WAY to congested.  This project will dwarf the surrounding neighborhoods and block out any light.

This is going to be a mess! 

geez not even approved yet (haha) and they got arena naming rights sewn up:

Destroyer Gets a Name

Wednesday, January 17, 2007, by Joey

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2007_1_barclays.jpg

As if New York City needs another bank, the Post reports in an EXCLUSIVE that British financial mega-institution Barclays has signed on the dotted line to buy the naming rights to the Nets' arena in Brooklyn (what, you thought it was going to be called the Gehry Dome?). The deal, which should be officially announced today, will be the richest ever for an arena's naming rights, so get used to saying Barclays Center for 20 years or so. By the by, we think it's a safe bet that we know which bank Daniel Goldstein won't be opening a checking account at. The Post also reports that the Atlantic Yards groundbreaking could happen "as early as in a few weeks," you know, if it's actually allowed to get built.

· Net$ Name Game [NYPost]

· Atlantic Yards React-o-Matic [Curbed]

http://www.curbed.com/archives/2007/01/17/destroyer_gets_a_name.php

the arena naming rights deed is done and the ratners get hella richer  :whip:

January 19, 2007

Big Buts For Brooklyn-Bound Barclays

Yesterday, officials welcomed Barclays as the winner in the $400 million naming rights derby for Bruce Ratner's Atlantic Yards project. The NY Times reports that the Nets looked at various entities to pitch the idea of becoming lucky one to pay lots of money to have its name on the Frank Gehry-designed arena and decided Barclays Bank "needed a game changer, that they don’t have as big a presence or brand recognition here as in the U.K." As they say, a sucker is born every minute!

http://www.gothamist.com/archives/2007/01/19/big_buts_for_br.php#comments

***and check it out -- the barclay's center cheesy website is already up:

http://www.barclayscenter.com/

First Wrecking Ball to be Swung at Atlantic Yards

Tuesday, February 20, 2007, by Joey

In what is surely the most dramatic Tuesday in Brooklyn since, like, Junior's ran out of strawberry cheesecake or something, preliminary work on the Atlantic Yards megadevelopment is scheduled to kick off today. Yes, today. A bus depot is being prepped for demolition so that a temporary rail yard can be built on the eastern edge of the 22-acre site, and later this week, a former auto-repair shop on Flatbush Avenue will be torn down so that Miss Brooklyn can stand in its place. Folks, this is happening. For now, anyway. There's still the matter of that lawsuit filed by 13 folks who are still living and working in the project's footprint. Says a Develop Don't Destroy Brooklyn Press Release on the matter: "The prep work is clearly premature, as Forest City Ratner does not own the rail yards necessary to construct the 8 million square foot project and they do not own the properties necessary to build the arena or to demap streets to build high-rise superblocks."

http://www.curbed.com/

i smell a rat!

City: 100M for Yards land

Pols rip EDC plan to use public funds for private Ratner mega-project

BY JOTHAM SEDERSTROM

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Friday, March 9th 2007, 4:13 PM

The city wants to spend $100 million to buy land tied to the Atlantic Yards project - money previously thought to be earmarked for improving infrastructure for the development.

Full article at http://nydailynews.com/boroughs/brooklyn/2007/03/09/2007-03-09_city_100m_for_yards_land.html

i saw this in the a free morning newspaper today. they spend more $$ on lobbying in ny state than they do for anything back home -- are we surprized at all?

Report: Ratner among state lobby leaders

by amy zimmer / metro new york

MAR 20, 2007

BROOKLYN - Forest City Ratner spent roughly $2.11 million on lobbying efforts last year for its $4 billion Atlantic Yards development plan, making it the state’s third highest spender, trailing a health care lobbyist group and Verizon. The state’s recently released figures prompted outcry yesterday from project foe Develop Don’t Destroy Brooklyn.

link:

http://ny.metro.us/metro/local/article/Report_Ratner_among_state_lobby_leaders/7538.html

I get aggravated at Forest City every week it seems, but this is just obscene. They could have built a High School free in Cleveland for that money

they could have planted the seeds to rebuild the infrastructure of various neighborhoods in cleveland.

interesting that some "real numbers" finally came up in the news today:

Fun With Hard Numbers at Atlantic Yards

Monday, July 2, 2007, by Lockhart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bruce Ratner's Atlantic Yards project—including Frank Gehry's sultry Miss Brooklyn (left)—finds itself, inevitably, back in the headlines. A big NYT story questions the risk of the project based on analysis of previously unseen internal documents. The nub of the issue: that Ratner & Co. may be underestimating construction costs, and overestimating future sales prices, which could make building out the entire project untenable. Naturally, the opposition jumped on the news, picking it apart in extreme detail, but what most intrigues us in the NYT piece are the detailed construction cost numbers that make it clear Ratner & Co. see nothing but boom times ahead for Downtown Brooklyn.

http://www.curbed.com/archives/2007/07/02/fun_with_hard_numbers_at_atlantic_yards.php#more

time for an update on this mega project:

Judge Throws Out Petition To Stop Atlantic Yards Project

January 12, 2008

Opponents of the plan to redevelop Brooklyn's Atlantic Yards say they will fight on after a judge throws out a petition to stop the project.

the video news report is here on ny1:

http://www.ny1.com/ny1/content/index.jsp?stid=1&aid=77425

yeah, but brooklyn will be gaining lebron.

i know, i know. but you watch.

That would be the ultimate kick in the gut: A Cleveland-linked company steals Lebron from Cleveland and puts him in NYC.

yeah, but brooklyn will be gaining lebron.

i know, i know. but you watch.

That would be the ultimate kick in the gut: A Cleveland-linked company steals Lebron from Cleveland and puts him in NYC.

At the pace this project is going, Lebron will look like "Old Lebron" before he plays in the new Nets arena!

A nice update piece on the status of the Atlantic Yards project in the NYTimes today.  Ratners are predicting/hoping/praying for a groundbreaking by the end of the year, but that, and maybe the project overall, looks far from certain.  So much for the "only in Cleveland do projects founder for years".

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/10/nyregion/10yards.html?ref=nyregion