CornerCurve

Cleveland: FirstEnergy Stadium renovations

Development would be obviously new,  is Daryl hearing that major renovations to the stadium would be part of it as well?

Just now, punch said:

Development would be obviously new,  is Daryl hearing that major renovations to the stadium would be part of it as well?

I don't know what he's hearing, but I am hearing that.

• Like 2

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities."-Voltaire

Daryl Ruiter is the Browns beat reporter for the sports talk radio station in Cleveland, 92.3 The Fan.

• Like 2

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities."-Voltaire

Adding a retractable roof, extending the Convention Center over the tracks AND the Shoreway so the front entrance to the CC is on Al Lerner Drive would be my favorite configuration. Continuing the Mall all the way out on top, tiered down to the lower grade elevation.  Sell it all as an I-X center replacement, New Hopkins airport location, Browns Stadium reno package.

Edited by marty15
  • Like 4

Haslam reminds me of Jerry Jones in some ways. I'm sure a guy with resources like Haslam is desirous of a Dallas-type of stadium.  

Which makes sense because they're both friends. Jerry helped get Jimmy's purchase of the Browns approved by the NFL. And yes, Jimmy wants what Jerry has, including neutral-site college games and a stadium/development area whose market isn't limited to Dallas, but is a draw for the entire Southwest/Gulf Coast. How many people live within a few hours drive of Cleveland??

Edited by KJP
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, KJP said:

Which makes sense because they're both friends. Jerry helped get Jimmy's purchase of the Browns approved by the NFL. And yes, Jimmy wants what Jerry has, including neutral-site college games and a stadium/development area whose market isn't limited to Dallas, but is a draw for the entire Southwest/Gulf Coast. How many people live within a few hours drive of Cleveland??

We are 8 hours drive from 2/3 of the population of North America, or something like that sir!  

13 minutes ago, Whipjacka said:

This related at all?

That would definitely save room for the Convention Center to be expanded north over the tracks/Shoreway. 

• Like 1

My sitting in traffic CC/Stadium site plan. They could probably be connected at that northwest corner. Could probably also incorporate an upper level Stadium gate entrance from the mall with that configuration. Would be a cool feature and great way to mend downtown to the Lakefront imo.

1112B274-0E49-469A-A264-9597F48F4121.jpeg

Edited by marty15
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Whipjacka said:

This related at all?

What's interesting is that this plan is very new. It replaces the Cumberland plan that was updated just this past September. That's how fast things are changing.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, KJP said:

What's interesting is that this plan is very new. It replaces the Cumberland plan that was updated just this past September. That's how fast things are changing.

Now that IS interesting.

Will anyone miss Cumberland's plan? I have to say I liked it a lot less when they nixed the adaptive reuse portion. 

Here's hoping all of the relevant stakeholders in the Lakefront are in the same room, so to speak. 

8 minutes ago, KJP said:

So no ground breaking this January as previously announced?  I love all the planning and talking we do in connection with the lakefront.  Heaven forbid something actual gets built.

5 minutes ago, Htsguy said:

So no ground breaking this January as previously announced?  I love all the planning and talking we do in connection with the lakefront.  Heaven forbid something actual gets built.

Not sure. But the players involved may actually be able to move faster because they have deeper pockets.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Yeah - I'm not sure what I can and cannot say here... but the plans right now would be transformative and would aim to integrate a number of Cleveland's anchoring cultural institutions

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, marty15 said:

This and SHW could be 2 mega projects going at the same time. Is that remotely realistic from what you’re hearing @KJP?

Risking sounding overly dramatic and secretive, but there are AT LEAST two mega projects out there (not counting reactivating the two vacant Ford plants, either).

Edited by KJP
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, KJP said:

Risking sounding overly dramatic and secretive, but there are AT LEAST two mega projects out there (not counting reactivating the two vacant Ford plants, either).

Let see  - SHW, 925 Centennial, Nucleus, & Lakefront   - Am i missing anything?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, simplythis said:

Airport, Justice Center....

1 minute ago, simplythis said:

1 minute ago, marty15 said:

Airport, Justice Center....

OK, so there's more than a few mega projects out there! And perhaps at least one more.... 😎

• Like 5
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, KJP said:

OK, so there's more than a few mega projects out there! And perhaps at least one more.... 😎

Progressive’s headquarters building is 25 years old now, and I believe they’re under lease, and don’t own their buildings. Lease expiration coming???  Just dreaming......

Edited by marty15
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, marty15 said:

Progressive’s headquarters building is 25 years old now, and I believe they’re under lease, and don’t own their buildings. Lease expiration coming???  Just dreaming......

Bigger

• Like 9
  • Love 4
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, marty15 said:

FWIW, Progressive owns the majority of their buildings including the main campuses.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KJP said:

Bigger

City of Cleveland going into a regional government ala Indianapolis and

the entire Cuyahoga County becomes Cleveland.

• Like 2

I’m trying to contemplate this. Progressive moving downtown would be massive. What could possibly be bigger, outside of some coastal company relocating? Moving Hopkins to Burke?  This is Thunderdome

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Potamus said:

KJP - any ETA on when you might share more details on First Energy Stadium and this other mega project?

No. But likely sooner on the stadium-oriented development because details (like the site plan) are already starting to leak out. But NDAs already exist for the other.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, KJP said:

No. But likely sooner on the stadium-oriented development because details (like the site plan) are already starting to leak out. But NDAs already exist for the other.

07993ADF-B10D-493F-A79F-7211DFF46709.jpeg

7 minutes ago, marty15 said:

07993ADF-B10D-493F-A79F-7211DFF46709.jpeg

I'm willing to place a bet on that and not change my answer: Google on the Riverfront in Tower City / CityBlock. Check back in a year (or however long this stays quiet) and see if I'm right...

BTW, weren't there rumors about this at some point?

Anyways, we should probably stay on topic here, maybe move this discussion to general thread...

Edited by Geowizical
  • Like 3