Guest grasscat

Newport, KY: Ovation

1 minute ago, taestell said:

Hearing more rumors that the Cincinnati venue might not happen due to the Newport venue announcement.

Which, honestly, is for the best. The Newport venue will have just as good a location, draw better acts by virtue of the management, and then The Banks could build literally anything else that's more useful than a redundant music venue that will host the occasional symphony concert and acoustic shows featuring three members of Whitesnake.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Gordon Bombay said:

Which, honestly, is for the best. The Newport venue will have just as good a location, draw better acts by virtue of the management, and then The Banks could build literally anything else that's more useful than a redundant music venue that will host the occasional symphony concert and acoustic shows featuring three members of Whitesnake.

They aren't redundant.  The Kentucky one is 2x as big.  That's a completely different market.  

Here's a site plan from Corporex's website. If I am looking at this correctly, the new music venue will sit above the street. So this basically is a parking garage fronting the street.

Sounds like a huge win for urban design...not.

Ovation-Site-Plan_Website.jpg

“All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche

37 minutes ago, Rabbit Hash said:

These type of developments that always end up with some new modern structure next to something that's...uh...not. (Apartments in background. Eesh.)

I'd bet that those apartments are relatively affordable as compared to all of the new construction.  When the 100+ unit complexes from the 60s and 70s are torn down it causes a ripple in the local rental market.  

5 minutes ago, GCrites80s said:

^That's a big issue in NKY these days.

Also, quite a number of these complexes turned condo in the early-mid 2000s, which took thousands of cheap rental units off the market.  Most of those condo HOAs are now suffering terribly meaning investors might come along, buy everyone out, and turn them back into apartments.  No trendy urbanist writer has written about that phenomenon because they're too busy tweeting.  

23 minutes ago, jmecklenborg said:

I'd bet that those apartments are relatively affordable as compared to all of the new construction.  When the 100+ unit complexes from the 60s and 70s are torn down it causes a ripple in the local rental market.  

Tons and tons of affordable housing being demolished for Ovation and yet it's mostly flying under the radar.

1 hour ago, JYP said:

Here's a site plan from Corporex's website. If I am looking at this correctly, the new music venue will sit above the street. So this basically is a parking garage fronting the street.

Sounds like a huge win for urban design...not.imageproxy.php?img=&key=ef9124ff39d0469aimageproxy.php?img=&key=ef9124ff39d0469a

Ovation-Site-Plan_Website.jpg

I'm not totally sure myself but I don't think there's any parking under the Venue Building. It definitely looks like the "future potential buildings" are on a podium for parking, with a "pedestrian bridge" crossing 3rd St. Also, the loading dock of the Venue Building appears to be accessed via ramps that go *down* from 4th St.

image.png.547e3e3dd3a5eaaa65214bf05e7d6225.png 

^Man that looks like it was made with Majokit or Micro Machines Highways and Byways. Anybody remember Majokit? It was a building playset made by company that made Majorette toy cars. I was obsessed with it for a little while when I was a kid.

6 hours ago, jwulsin said:

I'm not totally sure myself but I don't think there's any parking under the Venue Building. It definitely looks like the "future potential buildings" are on a podium for parking, with a "pedestrian bridge" crossing 3rd St. Also, the loading dock of the Venue Building appears to be accessed via ramps that go *down* from 4th St.

image.png.547e3e3dd3a5eaaa65214bf05e7d6225.png 

Okay. I see what you are saying. This picture may illustrate the loading dock ramp better (lower left): Event-Center-Scene-01.jpg

Also just noticed the venue wall in relation to the trees implies some height off the ground. Not sure how much though.

“All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche

They're definitely building a garage that the concert venue will sit on top of.  They've mentioned this multiple times in articles over the last year.  Whether the garage is underground or above ground though I don't know.