Magyar

Columbus: Downtown: East Long Street / Neighborhood Launch Development

2 hours ago, cbussoccer said:

^ It sure would be nice if we could bury those utility lines...

I wish there was a comprehensive plan to bury them throughout all of downtown and upgrade the sidewalks and landscaping to the downtown standards regardless of when new development takes place because it looks really bad down a lot of downtown streets. 

I think the reason why this building is going up faster on one side than the other is because of the pool. The one side has to be concrete up until the pool since I'm pretty sure wood construction can't support a swimming pool. The rest of the building will be wood frame so that can proceed faster. 

• Like 3

https://www.dispatch.com/business/20190709/edwards-companies-sell-several-downtown-apartment-complexes-other-buildings

According to the above linked article, the Edwards Companies - developer of the Neighborhood Launch downtown development - has sold two apartment buildings and an adjacent East Long Street block of property to Coastal Ridge Real Estate for $62 million.  Coastal Ridge Real Estate has offices on West Fifth Avenue in Marble Cliff.  The properties sold by Edwards are the following:

• The five-story, 129-unit Normandy apartments at 295 E. Long Street and the 5-story, 129-unit Neilston apartments at 255 E. Long Street (both pictured below)
  • A former church at 315 E. Long Street (purchased from Faith Mission) now used as the apartments community center and leasing center
  • Two commercial buildings at 329-333 E. Long Street on the same block as the former church

AR-190708721.jpg

The parking lot to the east of 230 E Long is fenced off in your picture which makes me think the parking lot with the retail along Long is going to start construction soon. 

Construction updates! Below are some updates images of the project happenings in this part of Downtown. 

Schottenstein Renovation/Addition on 3rd. Podium has been built out for the most part and timber seems to be arriving on site to go vertical. 

IMG_3235.thumb.JPG.fc878091a53e0a9f4625465f3b544f39.JPG

RISE Brands HQ has been progressing quickly, construction fencing has come down and the patio/event space addition on the back has started. 

IMG_3229.thumb.JPG.3708f6a5fdeac07d6ec4ca466d570447.JPG

Finally, 230 E Long has reached full height on the northwest corner and crews have started installing windows. The structure is about 1/3 of what its final massing will be, should make quite an impact. 

IMG_3231.thumb.JPG.dc61c8f31e898ed1eac576ec59d1fe9e.JPG

IMG_3237.thumb.JPG.d5944ca415fa1aaf2d345ac39175da57.JPG

Enjoy.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

From Flickr. Schottenstein project:

48787272826_955f1da059_h.jpg

Neighborhood Launch is almost filled in:

48786913533_2fba0bb481_h.jpg

Here you can see the Schottenstein project's location near Neighborhood Launch:

48786913698_0ac54bb4ba_h.jpg

And here you can see the 230 East Long building in relation to Neighborhood Launch:

48781387532_1ec3fbcb11_h.jpg

• Like 6

Working on comps this morning and ended up stumbling across what looks to be the design for the long rumored condo plot end-capping Neighborhood Launch. 

Currently this plot serves as surface parking and staging while Edwards has been building out The Mews. Level is a pretty solid arch firm up in Chicago, not the most groundbreaking designs but their finished product is usually quite beautiful. 

http://www.levelincorporated.com/work/312-east-gay-street

1466930323_ScreenShot2019-10-16at1_49_50PM.png.76f68cd4fd9631cfd41af900fa6b7392.png

• Like 9
  • Love 1

Nice looking building!

Too bad the south side of Gay is either surface parking or parking garages between Grant and 4th....

8 hours ago, DevolsDance said:

Working on comps this morning and ended up stumbling across what looks to be the design for the long rumored condo plot end-capping Neighborhood Launch. 

Currently this plot serves as surface parking and staging while Edwards has been building out The Mews. Level is a pretty solid arch firm up in Chicago, not the most groundbreaking designs but their finished product is usually quite beautiful. 

http://www.levelincorporated.com/work/312-east-gay-street

1466930323_ScreenShot2019-10-16at1_49_50PM.png.76f68cd4fd9631cfd41af900fa6b7392.png

Can confirm this is the design making its way through the approval process. 

• Like 1

Meanwhile, the Rhodes Tower...

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Wait, what's going on with Rhodes? Do we just not like how it looks? Lol.

That Budget rental places the real 🤮

Edited by Zyrokai

30 minutes ago, Zyrokai said:

Wait, what's going on with Rhodes? Do we just not like how it looks? Lol.

That Budget rental places the real 🤮

It is our tallest, one of the most ugly if not the most ugly, and it is named after a total and complete...well...let's just say major jerk to be on the safe side.

*I also do not like that I am a "Rhodes Tower" right now...How many posts to advance to the next building anyone? mods?

Edited by Toddguy

Keeeeeep posting!

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

It will take me over 1,000 posts to reach a new tower-and I am not exactly a fan of that one so I guess I am stuck with the ugly Rhodes Tower. Hopefully I will reach Terminal Tower status at some point

How come "no general" is listed for cbussoccer? Can I get that instead of the Rhodes Tower?  Have I mentioned lately how extremely well moderated the board is, and how much we owe the administrators for such a wonderful site celebrating Ohio?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Toddguy said:

It will take me over 1,000 posts to reach a new tower-and I am not exactly a fan of that one so I guess I am stuck with the ugly Rhodes Tower. Hopefully I will reach Terminal Tower status at some point

How come "no general" is listed for cbussoccer? Can I get that instead of the Rhodes Tower?  Have I mentioned lately how extremely well moderated the board is, and how much we owe the administrators for such a wonderful site celebrating Ohio?

Could be worse, I'm still at dirt lot 0' 65 posts in. I'd kill for just construction fencing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, GCrites80s said:

I mean, you gotta admit that's its "bad side"

I don't think it has a good side, just bad, and worse.

12 hours ago, Toddguy said:

How come "no general" is listed for cbussoccer? Can I get that instead of the Rhodes Tower?

You aren't quite on my level yet 😉

8 hours ago, 17thState said:

Could be worse, I'm still at dirt lot 0' 65 posts in. I'd kill for just construction fencing.

Dirt lots represent!

• Like 2

Arts Council to move to historic downtown building

The Greater Columbus Arts Council said Thursday that it will move in early 2020 from its current location in Chase Tower to the historic Winders Motor Sales Co. building near the intersection of North Fourth Street and East Long Street.

The move to 182 E. Long St. will provide the organization “with street level presence” and a community meeting room that will give Arts Council constituents “improved access to resources and staff,” according to the organization.

“The Arts Council has been searching for a space that would provide better access for our constituents and the community for nearly six years,” said president and CEO Tom Katzenmeyer in a statement. “After looking at more than 20 buildings throughout downtown and near downtown neighborhoods, we are delighted that we have finally found a building that checks all the boxes.”

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2019/11/19/arts-council-to-move-to-historic-downtown-building.html

010-0560332013001*1200xx3980-2243-292-22

• Like 2

^Remember when a developer wanted to tear this (and the building next door) down for a parking garage? I'm glad this is being re purposed.

Quick updates now that we finally have some sunshine,

First up is 230 E Long St. The massing is complete and windows are being installed on all sides of the structure. 

IMG_4381.thumb.JPG.6b15e80952dac0a06299308639888502.JPG

Below is the Schottenstein Development on 3rd, rising pretty quickly on the alley side of the block. 

IMG_4379.thumb.JPG.d732a21632c6d364048d2f9ba77befee.JPG

IMG_4375.thumb.JPG.efc17805299e97659cbb414cb0ef1008.JPG

Enjoy. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, DevolsDance said:

Quick updates now that we finally have some sunshine,

First up is 230 E Long St. The massing is complete and windows are being installed on all sides of the structure. 

IMG_4381.thumb.JPG.6b15e80952dac0a06299308639888502.JPG

Below is the Schottenstein Development on 3rd, rising pretty quickly on the alley side of the block. 

IMG_4379.thumb.JPG.d732a21632c6d364048d2f9ba77befee.JPG

IMG_4375.thumb.JPG.efc17805299e97659cbb414cb0ef1008.JPG

Enjoy. 

That's some good framing work on the Schottenstein building, which is what probably pisses me off most about them as a whole.  This family has the money and know-how to do some great things, just make them happen.  A lot of these developers are getting pretty good returns on some pretty mediocre builds.

Two January photos of the seven-story, 234-unit mixed-use building being constructed at 230 E. Long Street.

Late January construction pic looking eastward from https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2020/01/31/crane-watch-update-new-details-emerged-for-several.html

49497605456_013b2fed89_c_d.jpg

Mid-January construction pic looking westward from https://www.columbusunderground.com/construction-roundup-january-2020-we1

49497831957_22054947f4_c_d.jpg

• Like 1

Small project update/bump for the Schottenstein residential project at 3rd & Long

Facade repair and restoration happening on the original structure along 3rd St.

IMG_4710.thumb.JPG.8171e7632279d0818fb2f1c44d534372.JPG

Glass has been installed on the addition and is slowly working its way around. Bonus sighting, 230 E Long lurking and progressing n the background.

IMG_4711.thumb.JPG.ba2622c0ba7f078650dba94dcbf3573b.JPG

Finally, a view of the addition from the 3rd & Long side of the project where its wraps the Budget building. 

IMG_4712.thumb.JPG.4aad83fcf579b3613a7b54ab1d7bef0f.JPG

IMG_4714.thumb.JPG.61352edf0c7e888cf60d3c1a9d613c4e.JPG

Enjoy!

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, DevolsDance said:

IMG_4714.thumb.JPG.61352edf0c7e888cf60d3c1a9d613c4e.JPG

This picture is great to me. The juxtaposition of an old-school *car* rental service using a surface lot in front of a building filling up an old surface lot. Love it. Out with the old and in with the new. Budget's gotta be next 😛

3 minutes ago, Zyrokai said:

This picture is great to me. The juxtaposition of an old-school *car* rental service using a surface lot in front of a building filling up an old surface lot. Love it. Out with the old and in with the new. Budget's gotta be next 😛

I wonder if that is why they didn’t include the 2 story building. If they eventually sell that budget I feel like another building can actually go there. Even with windows facing that side. 

Just now, Zyrokai said:

So at one point the developer mentioned they had tried to buy the Budget lot but had been unsuccessful.

I just looked up the property records and the Budget property changed hands to "THIRD & LONG SRR II LLC" in September 2018. The property being developed now is owned by "THIRD & LAFAYETTE SRR II LLC." Both have the same owner address, which is Schottenstein Property Group's office.

So it seems Schottenstein was eventually able to buy that corner property but must be planning a second phase to finish up the block.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

"As for what attracted the Denver-based developer to Columbus in the first place, Dean Dominguez, Senior Investment Researcher for Charles Street Partners, said that there were several factors."

“We spent [about] 24 months doing research across country, touring a bunch of markets, and this is one of places we ended up liking, for a plethora of reasons,” he said. “The multi-family market is strong, employment is great, and it’s anchored by a lot of strong companies, including a tech startup scene.”

More out of state developers please!!  No offense to the local developers, I could get into an off topic tangent on my feeling on them, but keep the out of state developers coming to create more options and competition and our local developers on their toes.

Also, just in general, I realize on these forums we all strive and desire high rises, but I have to say in the decade I've lived in Columbus, when I actually think of the amount of infill and density that has been built on almost all surface lots, it's actually quite amazing!!  With only more to come!!  I would love to find a way to put together a map highlighting the infill projects from 2010 - 2020.  If anyone's good with maps and doing this have at it haha

Long Street Project on Track for Spring Opening

Industry-Long-Street-1-620x413.png

Industry-Long-Street-2-620x333.png

Industry-Long-Street-3-1150x550.png

Industry-Long-Street-7-620x382.png

Edited by Gnoraa
typo/spelling
  • Like 5
  • Love 2

51 minutes ago, Gnoraa said:

More out of state developers please!!  No offense to the local developers, I could get into an off topic tangent on my feeling on them, but keep the out of state developers coming to create more options and competition and our local developers on their toes.

Industry-Long-Street-1-620x413.png

Industry-Long-Street-2-620x333.png

Industry-Long-Street-3-1150x550.png

Industry-Long-Street-7-620x382.png

One of my favorite projects by far. It looks great and fills in a huge section. Hopefully it fills up good and the developer builds more and higher. Also agree with the out of state developers. I think once a few are here and show that they can make money, it will bring in others. 

• Like 4

The drive east on Long is remarkable considering how it looked 5 years ago. 

Schottenstein development 

DB603C24-E6E0-4EF6-9EE7-99765415E933.jpeg

The Denver developer

54B586CF-22E1-4504-B11C-C548AAF79B6E.jpeg

Edward's garage project

275F6FE6-B644-453F-9CFF-C0A7C7377F28.jpeg

Edited by Pablo
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pablo said:

The drive east on Long is remarkable considering how it looked 5 years ago. 

Schottenstein development 

DB603C24-E6E0-4EF6-9EE7-99765415E933.jpeg

The Denver developer

54B586CF-22E1-4504-B11C-C548AAF79B6E.jpeg

Edward's garage project

275F6FE6-B644-453F-9CFF-C0A7C7377F28.jpeg

The lightness of the materials on the Denver project(can't remember what it is called)will be a nice contrast to the relatively darker colors of The Normandy and The Neilston across the street.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jebleprls22 said:

Am I wrong in thinking that the Edwards garage was originally proposed for the corner of Sixth and Long (not Neilston and Long)?

You're right it was. 

18 hours ago, Toddguy said:

The lightness of the materials on the Denver project(can't remember what it is called)will be a nice contrast to the relatively darker colors of The Normandy and The Neilston across the street.

That building is turning out so nice. I can't wait to see it with the sidewalks and street trees installed. Good to see an out of state developer come in and build a great looking building that looks exactly like what they originally proposed. It's not that hard. 

• Like 3

On 6/10/2020 at 5:02 PM, Toddguy said:

I LOVE the "Denver" project! It looks great to me!

2 hours ago, Zyrokai said:

I LOVE the "Denver" project! It looks great to me!

Apparently the development is called "Industry Columbus" from the article in CU. I did not know.

https://www.columbusunderground.com/long-street-project-set-for-spring-opening-bw1

I like "The Denver Project" or "The Denver" better lol.

Edited by Toddguy
  • Like 4

The seven-story 236-unit Industry Columbus (aka The Denver Project) isn't finished yet.  But according to the below linked article, "the first tenants moved in June 5 when the complex’s top two floors opened for occupancy":

https://www.thisweeknews.com/business/20200618/new-downtown--apartment-complex-opens-amid-coronavirus-outbreak

Also according to the article, "Work is progressing in stages on other floors and common areas, with everything expected to be finished by the end of August."

Industry Columbus - exterior.png

Industry Columbus - interior.png

• Like 7
  • Love 1