Guest zaceman

Cleveland: Downtown: John Hartness Brown Bldgs / Euclid Grand

Let's hope they get a new designer for the addition and the facade before it goes any further.  Has aesthetics similiar to the building west of the Medical Mutual (Rose) Building.  Not so good.

Yeah, I don't like that facade either.

and the height just seems "odd" to me.

I like the idea of sticking a tall, very narrow building in there, it seems almost NY-ish.  I just don't like the design they are showing at this point.

^Plus the height adds a lot more window opportunities for that building.

I wonder what the unit layouts are going to be in these buildings.  Other than the Euclid frontage, there aren't a whole lot of opportunities for natural light to penetrate those deep floorplates.

^I heard the architects present this project over a year ago, and the plan then was to cut an atrium or atriums into the middle of the buildings, to afford more window opportunities -- similar to what was done with the Bingham building in the Warehouse District and other residential conversions downtown. This isn't ideal from a residential standpoint but it's pretty much the only way to preserve the historic structures while providing additional natural light.

the construction elevator is now being erected in front of 1007 Euclid, work looks to be complete at 1015.  Looks like I may have to start carrying my camera with me again.

They're taken off two pieces as of lunchtime today...unvieling a well-preserved archway.  Very excited that 1007...looks to be about equal to 1015 (if not a little better?).  Here's to unwrapping christmas presents in July!

I've seen drawings of both, and personally like 1007 a lot better.  I'm pretty fired up.  I'd imagine they can finish erecting the construction elevator today and should be able to really start peeling back the panels tomorrow.

Here are today's pictures... followed by my interesting and informative conversation of the day:

1. 1015 Euclid Avenue all finished (or at least prerehab)

2. Detail at 1015

3. 1007 Euclid Avenue work beginning

4. An arch window looming behind the aluminum

5. The top row of aluminum panels coming off

6. I am a sucker for corinthean columns

7. In the process of moving... the view out of one of my new windows, but yes, I'm sure if I lived in Avon Lake I'd have a much more exciting view  :roll: (sorry, had to sneak it in)

And now for my interesting and informative conversation of the day...  so standing on Euclid snapping up multiple pictures of these buildings the way only some huge construction / development nerd could... and up comes a man.  Man starts commenting on the building, asking my opinion, we start jabbering about how great the project is, potential to transform the area, blah, blah, blah.  Man introduces himself... Sam something or other, Building Manager.  Good person to get to know.  Tidbits include the following:

Regarding Timeline: 

They would like this to move forward quicker than I had thought.  Apparently (and I was unaware of this), they have to complete the removal of the paneling, and submit their findings to the state before the tax credits actually kick in, even though they've already been awarded.  After that they pretty much want to start the rehab / construction process immediately.  The only things needed are to gain approval from design review and then obtain permits from city planning commission.  I've also heard the city is aware of this and will act quickly.  They would like to have the exterior complete before winter.  That's agressive... but really encouraging.  i think we're going to see some serious work being done by the time summer is turning to fall.

Regarding Project Scope:

Take a look at that 2nd to last photo... notice that the floor plates of all five buildings in the project align.  I believe this was alluded to before but they are indeed planning on linking the floors of ALL FIVE buildings, treating them as one space with a large atrium in the center to allow more natural light and more units.  What a massive project.  I love it.

Regarding Future Insights:

Sam something or other also may have given me his card and told me that if I ever had any questions or wanted to check out the inside once they get going to stop on by... I think I might see interior pics on UO at sometime in the semi not too distant future.  :wink:  And FWIW he said the interior of all these buildings are actually in great shape.

EDIT:

If I recall correctly from the line drawings one of the main design features on 1007 that makes it stand apart from 1015 are large concrete spindle columns that separate the larger arched windows... I guess we'll find out in a couple days.

Superb!  The photos and the news.  Thanks for both.  That is shaping up to be such a handsome row of buildings, I love it. 

Yes, lets hope this spreads over to Prospect/Huron.

you guys are going to have to remember all this undercover reporting and jimmy olsen like photography skills next year when those forumer of the year ballots are cast. :laugh:

I can't believe how they brutalized that facade. Did they always think that the 60s/70s facade would be in style, or that the historic facade would never be considered attractive again? Then again, we all think that the 60s/70s look should be discarded and never return. Who knows if it will be revered again in the future....

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Amazing! All broken and in need of work, it still looks better than the 60's/70's facade.

I agree.  Those are going to make some sweet condos!

I'm assuming with tax credits this will have to be apartments for the first five years......

Amazing! All broken and in need of work, it still looks better than the 60's/70's facade.

I agree.  Those are going to make some sweet condos!

I'm assuming with tax credits this will have to be apartments for the first five years......

thanks for the correction, that's what meant. 

Anyone with a camera and the inclination should be able to take some nice photos tomorrow of the 1007 building.  When I ran by tonight, I noticed that the crew was working until about 8:00pm.  They have removed essentially all of the old facade to the point that it is now in a similar state as the 1015.  They did not take down the construction elevator, but I would expect that might come down soon, unless they're going to leave it there until the restoration work begins. 

And the 1007 looks like awesome by the way....

It's amazingly disturbing how long the black panels hung there but within a a couple weeks the character of Euclid/E9 changed dramatically! 

The same can and hopefully WILL be said when the horrid, condem-that-architect-to-hell panel system comes off the Schoefield Bldg!

Now I'm only 1/2 way to being licensed but boy! there were some big egos back in the day!  Following in the footsteps of Mies or any of the Modernists is one thing!  Thinking some p.o.s. beige panel is a better fit for St. Peter's Basilica is another!

I was planning on heading over at lunch today.  I noticed the same thing last night and figured I'd give them until lunch today to see if they start taking the construction elevator down.