Guest zaceman

Cleveland: Downtown: John Hartness Brown Bldgs / Euclid Grand

Can someone please post the picture of the flatiron building between Huron and Prospect that is now the Cleveland Urban Design Center and the Winking Lizard restaurant -- when it was covered with that metal crap. People need to see that these offenses were fairly common 40-50 years ago.

Glad you started a thread on this project, McCleveland. It deserves it.

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

I can just picture a couple idiots in brown polyester suits with polka dot ties wearing sh*t eating grins staring up at their new brown aluminum clad building saying, "man that looks good".

Assholes.

Goodness, you said the "P" word.  I think I just broke out in a rash!

^I recall it was in those picture threads from that guy that had the pictures from cleveland in the 80's. Any case to keep topical, I can't wait till the rest of the buildings in the area gets there orginal facades back.

Just moved a bunch of scattered messages from the general Cleveland developments thread to this one. I then took the comments from McCleveland from his original, first message in this new topic and combined it with an older message of his and moved that here, too. Otherwise he wouldn't be the creator of this thread, and he deserves that credit for starting it.

Can someone please post the picture of the flatiron building between Huron and Prospect that is now the Cleveland Urban Design Center and the Winking Lizard restaurant -- when it was covered with that metal crap. People need to see that these offenses were fairly common 40-50 years ago.

http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,15663.0.html

WHY WOULD ANYONE COVER THAT!?

That's like putting Salma Hayek in brown Fruit of the Loom sweats!

Hahaha .. oh, man. I love that.

Seriously, this whole project will be like unwrapping a present to the city. I, too, am completely shocked that this building was ever covered in that sh!t paneling. Ya know, the 60s and 70s WERE a big time for drugs ..

Thanks for the pics, McCleve!

Wasn't the Breuer Tower built during that time frame?  It all finally makes sense to me.

You .. have GOT to be kidding me.

Seriously, this whole project will be like unwrapping a present to the city. I, too, am completely shocked that this building was ever covered in that sh!t paneling. Ya know, the 60s and 70s WERE a big time for drugs ..

Wasn't the Breuer Tower built during that time frame? It all finally makes sense to me.

Careful...

Wasn't the Breuer Tower built during that time frame? It all finally makes sense to me.

Careful...

YES.

You .. have GOT to be kidding me.

I think that they did this because the upper portion of the building wasn't being used vs. the "modernization" of the JHB Buildings. Either way… yes, hideous.

Thanks Florida Guy.

I think that they did this because the upper portion of the building wasn't being used vs. the "modernization" of the JHB Buildings. Either way yes, hideous.

The first floor was also covered with the metal (or was it wood?). Either way, there was a nice brick building under the entire exterior.

Very nice.. thank god that it appears they didn't do much damage when they put up that facade which looks like the equivalent of a dropped tile ceiling. This makes me want to start ripping the aluminum siding off of my house to see what goodies lurk beneath.

Very nice.. thank god that it appears they didn't do much damage when they put up that facade which looks like the equivalent of a dropped tile ceiling. This makes me want to start ripping the aluminum siding off of my house to see what goodies lurk beneath.

I think that's called the Slavic Village aesthetic?    ;);)

But wow, I'm amazed by 1015!  It looks beautiful and largely intact, and it's amazing how such a small (relative) change looks like it could brighten up that entire stretch of Euclid.

Cleveland: We create beautiful historic facades on demand.

I think that's called the Slavic Village aesthetic?    ;);)

But wow, I'm amazed by 1015!  It looks beautiful and largely intact, and it's amazing how such a small (relative) change looks like it could brighten up that entire stretch of Euclid.

Cleveland: We create beautiful historic facades on demand.

Well I bet they are getting a pretty penny for scrapping all of that aluminum doing these restorations.

Gorgeous intricacy to the original facade.

Am I correct in assuming that the other half of that ugly cover is going to come down.

cleveland unpeeled -- look what's come out of it's cocoon!

given the classy look of original facade, the last pic even makes you wonder what is above those drop ceilings (i guess not much as those look to be new).

I wouldn't have expected it to be so intact.  I thought we were in for 668 Euclid Pt. 2 for sure.

how sad that they would just haphazardly bore their way through the facade without consideration given to how amazing it is

It was all the rage then.  You can see that on building in NYC, Boston, Philly and Baltimore are worse in my opinion.  I've also seen it in the new building in the south or the south side of chicago.

They probably won't start rehabilitation for awhile.  There's a lot of work left to do.  It's a building.  It's always going to be exposed to the weather.  I'd imagine they will finish taking all the aluminum off, board up the windows, and then you won't see anything for awhile.  They had to get this off to start figuring out exactly what needs replaced or repaired on the facade.  Those pieces need to be made, etc.

They probably won't start rehabilitation for awhile.  There's a lot of work left to do.  It's a building.  It's always going to be exposed to the weather.  I'd imagine they will finish taking all the aluminum off, board up the windows, and then you won't see anything for awhile.  They had to get this off to start figuring out exactly what needs replaced or repaired on the facade.  Those pieces need to be made, etc.

Im not in construction, but i was thinking they would use this time to get rid of all the interior stuff while the windows were off.  You can see the trademark 70's drop ceilings in those pics.

after uncovering the details of this building, I wonder what lies beneath the building to the right of 1021.

DSC01873.jpg

I thought I heard that the facade behind the most easterly building is beyond repair.

^I think you're right- here's the elevation the PD revealed in February which shows a facade update (and tower expansion) to that far right building, but not a peal-back.

large_Tower%20concept2.JPG

From http://blog.cleveland.com/architecture/2008/02/_euclid_avenue_is_changing.html

EDIT: I can't wait to see that far left one pealed back based on that elevation drawing!

There is no historic facade behind that building.  From what everyone can surmise it's really cinder block back there.  And they can't find any architectural drawings to prove otherwise.  They are treating it as a clean slate.  The craptastic black facade will come off and they will put a new one on that will blend in with the additional 8 stories above.

Is the addition of the eight stories an approved plan? I don't recall it going before planning commission.

not yet... that's the only downer to what's going on right now.  They are only approved for facade study.  Which means they are going to take down all this aluminum, board up the windows and head back to the drawing board.  They have been to design review twice though and are making progress.  My guess is that restoration / construction won't start until next spring... but that is just MY guess at this point, i haven't actually heard from anyone on a firm timeline.