Guest zaceman

Cleveland: Downtown: John Hartness Brown Bldgs / Euclid Grand

Took some pics on lunch break of the rear of the bldg. Got a couple interior shots of the gutted inside and having never walked through that parking garage, it's interesting how they extended architectural design to the walls of the entrance 

20190214_133541.jpg

20190214_133822.jpg

20190214_133838.jpg

20190214_133853.jpg

20190214_133857.jpg

20190214_133751.jpg

20190214_134013.jpg

20190214_134133.jpg

20190214_134157.jpg

Edited by GISguy
  • Like 7

Now THAT is why I love Urban Ohio!! Guerrilla sleuthing of the highest order!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

"Save the planet. Move to the city." -- The Downtowner podcast

Great shots! I love how the rear still reflects the original early modern facade, not the second facade that's being restored now. Note, those architectural details in the last shot were actually built for a theater lobby (iirc). It wasn't turned into a garage entrance till later.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, StapHanger said:

Great shots! I love how the rear still reflects the original early modern facade, not the second facade that's being restored now. Note, those architectural details in the last shot were actually built for a theater lobby (iirc). It wasn't turned into a garage entrance till later.

That makes a LOT more sense, I was thinking it may have had something to do with the Statler being there too, gotta have a fancy garage for fancy guests. Without looking on Cleveland Historical, do you know when the theater was taken out/was it (I'm assuming) replaced with the garage? And thanks for the compliment!

Edited by GISguy
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, CLE_Millennial said:

I'm so excited about this project. It might just be my favorite. This is a HUGE missing link along Euclid that will drastically change the atmosphere once it's finished.

I moved here about three years ago, between this and CAC/Athlon its crazy how great this is. Like, plastic fluttering in the wind/vacant goliaths were such a bad look for a downtown...so glad it'll be a thing of the past in the very near future!!

• Like 1

Just now, GISguy said:

I moved here about three years ago, between this and CAC/Athlon its crazy how great this is. Like, plastic fluttering in the wind/vacant goliaths were such a bad look for a downtown...so glad it'll be a thing of the past in the very near future!!

Same, I just moved into Halle last week....walking down Euclid ave right now its fun to imagine what its going to look like from Lumen to Playhouse Square!  Good bye plastic bags in windows!!

• Like 5

4 hours ago, GISguy said:

Thanks, without going too off topic, here's the theater entrance and source (went on Cleveland Historical after all haha)

2a37e15b0c1215099a7ef0113ee77311.jpg

wow...  someone decided, turning that into a garage was a good idea... 

Edited by lockdog
did not know what I was doing..
  • Sad 1

Would have been slightly more interesting if restoration would have gone back to ORIGINAL dates, but I realize trying to duplicate those would require still more time and moneys, so I'm thrilled the Beaux-Arts look of the '20s will one more grace this section of The Avenue.....

When is project completion currently anticipated?

On 2/11/2019 at 12:44 PM, mrclifton88 said:

Sure wish the Athletic Club would have done the same. Everyone who lives in PHS must walk in the street around the barricades to get to and from Heinen’s. 

In Chicago last fall I noted every construction project allowed pedestrians a sidewalk.  Also, I didn't see a single push-button "walk" signal.  I was in many districts.

Cool density shot!

• Like 1

"Save the planet. Move to the city." -- The Downtowner podcast

Well, if you walk past someone taking pictures of a building under construction, chances are they hang out here.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I was watching them take panels down today...Those windows will be huge!!!  This is going to really change that section of Euclid!!!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, dave2017 said:

Was there ever any historic facade before the glass ?

Appears to be in this photo from the historic photos thread:

Euclid Block.jpg

• Like 3

I don't think the windows in tge most eastern bldg. will be that large.  Drawings show five windows across.

On 11/14/2018 at 4:42 PM, YABO713 said:

^Unless someone has numbers that contradict my opinion... the foot traffic on Euclid between 9th and 12th is NOT low. There is an almost constant flow of people - especially in the summer. 

What are you using to measure?  

I just searched 'timeline' on the forum and didn't come up with anything [admittedly half-assed searching on my part], when do they expect this project to be complete? 

On 5/15/2019 at 8:24 PM, freethink said:

D6n6J_CXoAA39Ao.jpeg

I really hope resurrection of Workstyles is part of this project 😆