Cleveland: Downtown: John Hartness Brown Buildings / Euclid Grand

Guest zaceman

30 minutes ago, CLE_Millennial said:

I'm so excited about this project. It might just be my favorite. This is a HUGE missing link along Euclid that will drastically change the atmosphere once it's finished.

I moved here about three years ago, between this and CAC/Athlon its crazy how great this is. Like, plastic fluttering in the wind/vacant goliaths were such a bad look for a downtown...so glad it'll be a thing of the past in the very near future!!

• Like 1

Just now, GISguy said:

I moved here about three years ago, between this and CAC/Athlon its crazy how great this is. Like, plastic fluttering in the wind/vacant goliaths were such a bad look for a downtown...so glad it'll be a thing of the past in the very near future!!

Same, I just moved into Halle last week....walking down Euclid ave right now its fun to imagine what its going to look like from Lumen to Playhouse Square!  Good bye plastic bags in windows!!

• Like 5

4 hours ago, GISguy said:

Thanks, without going too off topic, here's the theater entrance and source (went on Cleveland Historical after all haha)

2a37e15b0c1215099a7ef0113ee77311.jpg

wow...  someone decided, turning that into a garage was a good idea... 

Edited by lockdog
did not know what I was doing..
  • Sad 1

Would have been slightly more interesting if restoration would have gone back to ORIGINAL dates, but I realize trying to duplicate those would require still more time and moneys, so I'm thrilled the Beaux-Arts look of the '20s will one more grace this section of The Avenue.....

When is project completion currently anticipated?

On 2/11/2019 at 12:44 PM, mrclifton88 said:

Sure wish the Athletic Club would have done the same. Everyone who lives in PHS must walk in the street around the barricades to get to and from Heinen’s. 

In Chicago last fall I noted every construction project allowed pedestrians a sidewalk.  Also, I didn't see a single push-button "walk" signal.  I was in many districts.

• 1 month later...

Cool density shot!

• Like 1

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2018 at 4:42 PM, YABO713 said:

^Unless someone has numbers that contradict my opinion... the foot traffic on Euclid between 9th and 12th is NOT low. There is an almost constant flow of people - especially in the summer. 

What are you using to measure?  

• 3 weeks later...

The Statler has a few long dormant retail spots that are going live as well. The whole first floor inside facing Euclid is getting demo’d currently.  One large space, 3 smaller ones. Copper Moon coffee shop took the first small spot. 

• Like 3

My buddy James is the proprietor of Copper Moon. He recently moved the shop to the street front space from the lobby of Statler Arms. Helluva good cuppa joe!

A6DB6341-BCF6-4224-9749-8DD09CFA3181.jpeg

524EB8A4-58E4-4E4E-8FB3-A1D4B7757E13.jpeg

Edited by CCC
  • Like 9

15 minutes ago, CCC said:

My buddy James is the proprietor of Copper Moon. He recently moved the shop to the street front space from the lobby of Statler Arms. Helluva good cuppa joe!

A6DB6341-BCF6-4224-9749-8DD09CFA3181.jpeg

Best bulletproof cup around 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StapHanger said:

^Don't the credits require restoration (or recreation) of the historic facade?

No, the credits wouldn't require anything to be changed. But if the developer does elect to make changes, the design must meet federal rehabilitation standards.

43 minutes ago, mack34 said:

They re adding another level of Windows.......

Ah, okay.

• Like 1

Ah, got it. In this case, a previous owner (and original credit applicant, I believe) ripped off the post-war skin installed on half the building and the developer plans to restore the facade of the whole thing to what it looked like before modernization (though still not the original facade).

To get an idea what this building looked like 10 years ago: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.5003389,-81.6859764,3a,75y,5.45h,113.58t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sc8HImc2bZx4QdCZWGBwAjA!2e0!7i3328!8i1664)

Edited by StapHanger
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, StapHanger said:

Ah, got it. In this case, a previous owner (and original credit applicant, I believe) ripped off the post-war skin installed on half the building and the developer plans to restore the facade of the whole thing to what it looked like before modernization (though still not the original facade).

To get an idea what this building looked like 10 years ago: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.5003389,-81.6859764,3a,75y,5.45h,113.58t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sc8HImc2bZx4QdCZWGBwAjA!2e0!7i3328!8i1664)

When you check out this link, make sure to also rotate the view around and remind yourself of the barf-tastic "modernization" of what has now been lovingly restored as the Kimpton Schofield (southwest corner of East 9th and Euclid).  Even uglier than the old JHB, and much larger and more prominent.  It's just stunning that anyone ever thought that was an improvement.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, StapHanger said:

And here's the comparison from 2018. An amazing transformation in a relatively short time frame

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.5002978,-81.6859832,3a,75y,270h,111.29t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s2RRBgIRtsEVyqGgLsDUhmQ!2e0!5s20180901T000000!7i13312!8i6656

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...