Sign in to follow this  
DarkandStormy

George Floyd Protests

8 hours ago, GCrites80s said:

We seriously need newspapers back. They are something that was seriously stupid to dump. They can't just be for wealthy retirees that don't know how to use the internet. 

What I don't think people understand about newspapers (as opposed to TV, radio, and everything that has replaced newspapers) was that in the old days, if you messed up on - yes, JUST ONCE - you were DONE.  It was a lot like the legal profession - when you were thrown out, you were OUT.  It didn't matter who you were - if you fabricated something (like just one quote) or made some sort of significant error of judgement you were gone, forever.  The newspaper would run a story describing how and why you were terminated and that article prevented the ousted person from working again in journalism. 

This is why Trump drives real journalists so crazy - he gets to be intentionally wrong hundreds of times per week.  They don't get to be wrong...ever. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy Skinner said:

They are removing the metal barricades from around the Hamilton County Courthouse this morning.  Sign of return to normalcy?

Sadly, Mr. Tuxedo is still boarded up in Clifton.  They had rocks thrown through their front windows on the night when the Twitter mob marched up Vine St and I suppose that their replacement windows still haven't come in. 

Mr. Tuxedo is a black-owned business.  The owner and his son were in the store at the time to prevent it from being looted, but that didn't stop the Twitter mob from breaking the front windows.

24 minutes ago, Jimmy Skinner said:

There are still a bunch of boarded up windows in OTR, like Tender Mercies on 12th, New York Deli on Main... and I don't think these places even had any glass broken.  

There are about half a dozen places around CUF with boarded up windows, as well. Some had damage and some put up plywood as a preventative measure. I think that businesses are either closed or very slow because of COVID so there isn't a lot of incentive to take the boards down.

Plus, if you're a small business owner right now, a few thousand dollars for a window (or insurance deductible if the damage is significant) might be a big chunk out of an already tight budget.

I know of at least one place in which they have customized windows that cost $5,000 to replace and install. I don't know if that's the deductible or actual price, but it's what the owner needs to pay out-of-pocket. And with tensions being what they are, he's keeping the boards up for now.

Also, some stores' insurance plans require boards remain for 30 days.

And Covid/economic downturn is certainly the biggest factor. 

1 hour ago, TBideon said:

I don't know if that's the deductible or actual price, but it's what the owner needs to pay out-of-pocket. 

The night that all of that happened (I believe it was May 30) I overheard apologists excitedly exclaim that "their insurance will pay for it".