Sign in to follow this  
DarkandStormy

George Floyd Protests

Just now, freefourur said:

citation needed

We won't get it because it makes no sense.  Every large city has had protests.  Many suburbs as well.  But there's a vague, caravan of traveling protestors going to *even smaller* towns looking to rile things up?  Man, that's a lot of people Soros is paying.

Very Stable Genius

1 minute ago, DarkandStormy said:

We won't get it because it makes no sense.  Every large city has had protests.  Many suburbs as well.  But there's a vague, caravan of traveling protestors going to *even smaller* towns looking to rile things up?  Man, that's a lot of people Soros is paying.

It must be the elusive Antifa that we've been hearing about. 

15 minutes ago, Ram23 said:

These groups of protestors have been traveling out to every little podunk town in the state hoping a confrontation like this would happen. They finally found a place that gave them the response they were looking for so they could all post about it on social media.

I see you're going with the Trump method of just confidently making stuff up and hoping people believe you.

This was organized by people that live in Bethel.

more violence from Antifa....oh wait....the violence is from right wing groups. I'm sure Billy "fascist" Barr will correct his error.

19 minutes ago, Ram23 said:

These groups of protestors have been traveling out to every little podunk town in the state hoping a confrontation like this would happen. They finally found a place that gave them the response they were looking for so they could all post about it on social media.

BTW, this "podunk town" is 25 miles from downtown Cincinnati and part of the MSA.  As a matter of fact, the next county east of it is still in the MSA, so I don't think this is just some random middle-of-nowhere locale, but rather indicative of how a good portion of southern Ohio is, even closer to Cincinnati.

11 minutes ago, freefourur said:

more violence from Antifa....oh wait....the violence is from right wing groups. I'm sure Billy "fascist" Barr will correct his error.

I haven't been paying attention, but by my super quick count, that's:

-right wing terrorists arrested: 2 (Oakland, Las Vegas - a group, if I recall)

-Antifa arrested: 0

I could very well be wrong, though.

Edited by DarkandStormy

Very Stable Genius

2 hours ago, stpats44113 said:

Of course it’s southern Ohio

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/06/ohio-village-of-2800-issues-curfew-after-armed-whites-patrol-streets-waiting-for-busloads-of-black-lives-matter-protesters/

Ohio village of 2,800 issues curfew after armed whites patrol streets waiting for busloads of Black Lives Matter protesters

This hit the front page of WaPo this afternoon. The village adminstration was clear that the protestors were local and the counterprotestors unsurprisingly came from all over.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/06/16/bethel-ohio-black-lives-counterprotest/

Edited by mu2010

1 hour ago, jam40jeff said:

BTW, this "podunk town" is 25 miles from downtown Cincinnati and part of the MSA.  As a matter of fact, the next county east of it is still in the MSA, so I don't think this is just some random middle-of-nowhere locale, but rather indicative of how a good portion of southern Ohio is, even closer to Cincinnati.

Just an FYI, Bethel is not a suburb or even an exurb by any stretch.  It really is a "podunk" town that happens to be in a county of Cincinnati's MSA.  I'm sure you'd agree that Spencer or Litchfield would not be considered "suburban Cleveland" even within the MSA and roughly the same distance as Bethel from Cincinnati.

Keep in mind, this rural racism is all over the state.  As a black man who's been photographing this state since 2002, I've seen it in all "5 Ohio's."  The worst, honestly, has been Northwest Ohio from my travels but I'm not going to blanket-ly say it's the most racist part of the state.  I just spent a weekend giving a tour of northern Ohio to @MCC and we saw numerous Confederate flags (particularly near Sandusky and Lorain) and even an ENTIRE FAMILY holding up Trump 2020 banners along Route 2 near Amherst.  Saw anti-BLM signs near Parma and in Westlake and Sheffield Village. 

While Bethel is clearly showing its cards to the world, let's not pretend like this wouldn't happen in Castalia.  The whole state is guilty.

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

I always say that Butler and Clermont Counties are the "Kentucky" of Ohio, but Lorain County is the "Maine" of Ohio. Both are full of small-minded racists, they just show it off differently. 

“To an Ohio resident - wherever he lives - some other part of his state seems unreal.”

2 hours ago, ColDayMan said:

Keep in mind, this rural racism is all over the state.  As a black man who's been photographing this state since 2002, I've seen it in all "5 Ohio's."  The worst, honestly, has been Northwest Ohio from my travels but I'm not going to blanket-ly say it's the most racist part of the state.  I just spent a weekend giving a tour of northern Ohio to @MCC and we saw numerous Confederate flags (particularly near Sandusky and Lorain) and even an ENTIRE FAMILY holding up Trump 2020 banners along Route 2 near Amherst.  Saw anti-BLM signs near Parma and in Westlake and Sheffield Village. 

While Bethel is clearly showing its cards to the world, let's not pretend like this wouldn't happen in Castalia.  The whole state is guilty.

I would say it's not even just rural racism, there is racism everywhere, even in the progressive area where I live.  However, you picked Spencer and Litchfield as examples.  Those are literally within a stone's throw of not being part of the Cleveland MSA and over 35 miles from downtown, and yet I still wouldn't expect a small BLM rally in either of those towns to attract this type of crowd.  Towns 20 miles east of Bethel are still within the Cincinnati MSA.  Sure, there are a lot of Trump signs in the exurbs, and plenty of people with some racist beliefs.  However, I think southern Ohio takes it to a whole different level (or at least via proximity to Kentucky, where I'm sure some of these people came from as out of state plates on motorcycles were mentioned) where people feel so strongly in their racist beliefs that they will show up in confederate flag garb to assault a handful of white women standing up for black people.  All racism is bad, but some people's racism is a lot stronger than others.  These people take it to a late 1800s KKK level.  I'm sure you may be able to find some NEOans that look like those people at the Bethel rally, but I don't think their numbers are nearly as big and that's why you don't see these sorts of things happening up here.

Edited by jam40jeff

2 hours ago, ColDayMan said:

numerous Confederate flags

I don't recall ever seeing a confederate flag in Ohio when I was a kid.  It was even a rare sight when I lived in Tennessee in the 1990s (in fact, I don't distinctly recall seeing one even once).  

The flying of the flag seems to have become much more popular in the last 10 years - especially in Kentucky, Ohio, and elsewhere that never joined the Confederacy.  I saw one flying in Pennsylvania relatively close to Gettysburg in 2017...what's with that? 

When I was in Tennessee last year I saw Confederate flags dotting a cemetery.  I never saw that in the 1990s.  

25 minutes ago, jmecklenborg said:

...what's with that? 

I think we all know the answer to this question.

1 hour ago, jam40jeff said:

Those are literally within a stone's throw of not being part of the Cleveland MSA and over 35 miles from downtown, and yet I still wouldn't expect a small BLM rally in either of those towns to attract this type of crowd.  Towns 20 miles east of Bethel are still within the Cincinnati MSA.  

What do MSAs have to do with it? I think @ColDayMan point is that all of these examples are tiny towns out in the sticks, and they're all over the state.

“To an Ohio resident - wherever he lives - some other part of his state seems unreal.”

4 hours ago, ColDayMan said:

Just an FYI, Bethel is not a suburb or even an exurb by any stretch.  It really is a "podunk" town that happens to be in a county of Cincinnati's MSA.  I'm sure you'd agree that Spencer or Litchfield would not be considered "suburban Cleveland" even within the MSA and roughly the same distance as Bethel from Cincinnati.

yeah near lorain and in lorain are two very different worlds lol. lorain is surrounded by white local suburbia for a reason. for example, to the west, vermilion isnt even podunk and it has history as an outright sundown town. and guess where that sundown city limits sign faced, or so they say? it wasnt facing west. 

also, amherst, sheffield? dont get me started. 

as someone who has actually lived in four of the five ohios, albeit quite awhile ago, can concur yes the whole state is guilty as anybody. 

and if ohio is guilty, the true heart of it all, then you better believe america is.

SecondaryHappyJackrabbit-size_restricted

@mrnyc  - from today's Lorain paper - https://www.morningjournal.com/news/lorain-county/vermilion-origin-of-fire-department-sirens-debated-as-racist-benign/article_a2b4a6fe-aff3-11ea-88e0-b373bfadc4bf.html

Plenty of people of color I know  refer to that 6 pm siren by one name... and it's not "volunteer fire department test siren". 

Edited by buckeye1

^ oh geez -- how timely!

well, at least they are talking about it and seem willing to change.

2 hours ago, mrnyc said:

as someone who has actually lived in four of the five ohios, albeit quite awhile ago, can concur yes the whole state is guilty as anybody. 

and if ohio is guilty, the true heart of it all, then you better believe america is.

Amen.

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

4 hours ago, BigDipper 80 said:

What do MSAs have to do with it? I think @ColDayMan point is that all of these examples are tiny towns out in the sticks, and they're all over the state.

My point was just that this town isn't that out in the sticks like something in southeast Ohio as it is defined to be part of the Cincinnati metropolitan area.

12 hours ago, buckeye1 said:

@mrnyc  - from today's Lorain paper - https://www.morningjournal.com/news/lorain-county/vermilion-origin-of-fire-department-sirens-debated-as-racist-benign/article_a2b4a6fe-aff3-11ea-88e0-b373bfadc4bf.html

Plenty of people of color I know  refer to that 6 pm siren by one name... and it's not "volunteer fire department test siren". 

Test it Wednesdays at noon like the rest of the state. It doesn't need it every day.

It sounds like it's a rumor to me- I even Googled it, and all I got were a bunch of second hand quotes saying that they had heard it was related to Vermillion being a sundown town (and rumors of a sign at the city limits), but no evidence.  But whatever, change it to noon.

^ well, if you don't believe racism exists, then white supremacists can't be real.  Therefore, Antifa is the only explanation that works. 

30 minutes ago, DarkandStormy said:

This could go in about five different threads.

I love how all these jackasses walk around wearing the American in some fashion thinking it makes them patriotic. Usually while waving the confederate flag.

We've seen an impressive(?) outpouring of phony conviction over the last few weeks:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/26/nyregion/black-lives-matter-white-people-protesters.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Two or three weeks ago I was at a bar on a weeknight and the bartender called out all of these white BLM people who were arguing amongst themselves a large table.  He just told them the only reason they were down there at the protests was because their friends were.  They were...stunned.   It was like an adult calling out a fledgling mall punk.  

On 6/25/2020 at 2:31 PM, DarkandStormy said:

This could go in about five different threads.

Absolutely disgraceful. Let's see what he has to say if a cop has a knee on his neck causing mechanical asphyxiation for 8 minutes plus. Oh that's right...he won't be able to say anything..he would be dead. This m$#%$r F$%#$r!

Yeah the masks are not comfortable especially in hot humid weather but there is a very valid REASON to be wearing them.  SMDH!

Edited by Toddguy

^ Those officers were lucky to get through that alive. Protestors in Utah shot a driver whose car they had surrounded on Monday evening:

Luckily, the driver was able to make it to a hospital and is recovering:

Provo police looking for suspect who shot man during Monday night protest

https://www.abc4.com/news/top-stories/provo-police-looking-for-suspect-who-shot-man-during-monday-night-protest/

Numerous witnesses provided video footage of a white SUV that was driving south on University Avenue before pulling into the right turn lane in an attempt to turn onto Center Street. Several protestors began crowding around the vehicle when a male protestor ran to the SVU on the passenger side, pointed a handgun at driver and shot one round through the window.

The driver, who was struck by the bullet, hit the gas trying to leave the situation when the same protestor ran after the vehicle and shot a second-round that went through the rear passenger window.

The video then shows that the protestor conceals the firearm and continues to protest.

OK, how are people bringing back off topic posts that I deleted hours ago in order to respond to them?  And an even better question is why would you?

Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters announced on Thursday that "over a dozen indictments" are coming down next week against people who set fires and caused significant property damage in Cincinnati, i.e. the guy who broke windows at the Justice Center with his skateboard.  Keep in mind that both the prosecutor and the sheriff races will be decided in November, so don't count on much leniency. 

They pledge their love for The Revolution, but will The Revolution love them back?

Screen Shot 2020-07-03 at 1.01.40 AM.png