Sign in to follow this  
DarkandStormy

George Floyd Protests

1 hour ago, taestell said:

President of the FOP (police union) defends the decision to arrest Enquirer journalist Pat Brennen. Cranley has been pandering to CPD for his entire political career, and the second he says one thing critical of the police, they turn on him.

When a group of people has been coddled and never told no their entire lives, this is the kind of response they have when accountability finally starts to arrive.  

Edited by jonoh81

"Mr. Mayor you are stepping onto a slippery slope."

A slippy slope where...bad officers are held accountable for their actions? ? ... ? >?>*>?> ??

1 hour ago, DarkandStormy said:

A man in Florida was charged with terrorism for spitting and coughing on police officers last month.

Is this cop spitting on the person or just spitting near and behind the person? 

18 hours ago, Toddguy said:

At very minimum he is a murderer and will be sentenced to a very long time behind bars.

That sounds great on the surface.  Then I remembered that the South Carolina officer that shot Walter Scott in the back as ran away only got 20 years.   

The Hennepin County DA and medical examiner are already setting up this Minneapolis cop for a slap on the wrist for Mr Floyds murder.  

11 minutes ago, Cleburger said:

That sounds great on the surface.  Then I remembered that the South Carolina officer that shot Walter Scott in the back as ran away only got 20 years.   

The Hennepin County DA and medical examiner are already setting up this Minneapolis cop for a slap on the wrist for Mr Floyds murder.  

If that happens the riots after the fact will be as bad or worse than what we have now.  Let's also hope the prosecution does not blow it. It all comes down to the jury in the court and what the state presents vs what the defense presents to the jury. 

Look at how the prosecution blew the OJ case as well as the Trayvon case-very poor prosecution in both cases IMO. The jury has to go along with what is presented in court. The State has to prove it's case. And unfortunately, 20 years for a murder is not out of line for what murderers get.  If he gets 20 years (with no early release) that actually should suffice(given he is a police officer and all smh.)

the Hennepin County Medical Examiner's office said Floyd died of "cardiopulmonary arrest complicating law enforcement subdual, restraint and neck compression." The manner of death was ruled homicide, but the office noted that "is not a legal determination of culpability or intent." 

*bolding mine

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/george-floyd-autopsies-death-homicide-details/

The bolded part could be very problematic.

And what about the charges for the other 3 officers?  *sigh*

On 9/6/2016 at 1:06 PM, Ram23 said:

America is not as great as it could and should be, but not for the reasons Kapernick thinks. Trump's reasons are closer to reality. Kaepernick's protest is one of the most exaggerated issues to become mainstream in our nation's history.

You know, the call-back feature Gram mentioned in another thread *is* pretty interesting.

Very Stable Genius

11 minutes ago, Toddguy said:

And what about the charges for the other 3 officers?  *sigh*

Minnesota AG has joined in and he's stressing that they want to be very thorough because prosecuting law enforcement is extremely difficult.

Very Stable Genius

15 minutes ago, DarkandStormy said:

You know, the call-back feature Gram mentioned in another thread *is* pretty interesting.

I don't know what you mean by this, but my post from 4 years ago still rings true. Just because the exaggeration has perpetuated doesn't make it less of an exaggeration - it makes it more of an exaggeration.

16 minutes ago, DarkandStormy said:

Minnesota AG has joined in and he's stressing that they want to be very thorough because prosecuting law enforcement is extremely difficult.

That's literally the reason all this is happening.  It shouldn't be more difficult than anyone else.  If anything, police have to be held to a higher standard because they're the ones being authorized to use force.

5 minutes ago, Ram23 said:

I don't know what you mean by this, but my post from 4 years ago still rings true. Just because the exaggeration has perpetuated doesn't make it less of an exaggeration - it makes it more of an exaggeration.

What exactly is the exaggeration?  Systemic racism, the anger towards it, or both?

1 hour ago, Ram23 said:

What are "Trump's reasons" that are "closer to reality" about why America isn't as great as it could/should be?  (Side note - thought America was going to be Made Great Again...yet, you're saying it's not nearly 4 years after Trump got elected?)

To jon's point - what is the exaggeration?

What would change your mind about it being an exaggeration?  I.e. are you open to hearing about why it could actually be true or are you merely interested in writing off every opinion you don't agree with as an exaggeration?

Edited by DarkandStormy

Very Stable Genius

Nearly twice as many Americans support the president's call for military intervention to quell the civil unrest, than oppose it, per a Morning Consult poll. Even I am a little surprised the gap is so wide:

"Calling in the U.S. military to supplement city police forces":

Support 58%

Oppose 30%

https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/status/1267852145996505097

34 minutes ago, Ram23 said:

Nearly twice as many Americans support the president's call for military intervention to quell the civil unrest, than oppose it, per a Morning Consult poll. Even I am a little surprised the gap is so wide:

Support 58%

Oppose 30%

Military:

Strongly Support: 33%

Somewhat Support: 25%

Somewhat Oppose: 11%

Strongly Oppose: 19%

No Opinion: 11%

National Guard:

Strongly Support: 42%

Somewhat Support: 29%

Somewhat Oppose: 7%

Strongly Oppose: 11%

The poll question does not address if the Military is requested or forced in....

https://assets.morningconsult.com/wp-uploads/2020/06/01181629/2005131_crosstabs_POLICE_RVs_FINAL_LM-1.pdf

image.png.ead37040bd1d184ebea83a202ffbc0d1.png

Edited by OldBearcat

Formerly "Mr Sparkle"

1 hour ago, DarkandStormy said:

Is it really though?  When you have a 9 minute video of a police officer kneeling on a subdued suspect's neck?    If the tables were turned and it was a black guy on a white cop, he'd be up for murder one and facing the death penalty.  

8 minutes ago, OldBearcat said:

Military:

Strongly Support: 33%

Somewhat Support: 25%

Somewhat Oppose: 11%

Strongly Oppose: 19%

National Guard:

Strongly Support: 42%

Somewhat Support: 29%

Somewhat Oppose: 7%

Strongly Oppose: 11%

The poll question does not address if the Military is requested or forced in....

https://assets.morningconsult.com/wp-uploads/2020/06/01181629/2005131_crosstabs_POLICE_RVs_FINAL_LM-1.pdf

image.png.ead37040bd1d184ebea83a202ffbc0d1.png

If that's correct, then America has gone off the rails. 

Edited by KJP

"Nearly every problem that we have in the USA -- unaffordable health care, prison overpopulation, hyper militarization, climate change, racism, gun violence, poverty, poor education, urban sprawl and others -- cannot be positively addressed because bribery and conflicts of interest are legal under campaign finance laws which protect the uber-wealthy and the narrow self-interests who grossly benefit from our afflictions."

De Blasio is the disgrace. He's the Democrats' version of Trump.

"Nearly every problem that we have in the USA -- unaffordable health care, prison overpopulation, hyper militarization, climate change, racism, gun violence, poverty, poor education, urban sprawl and others -- cannot be positively addressed because bribery and conflicts of interest are legal under campaign finance laws which protect the uber-wealthy and the narrow self-interests who grossly benefit from our afflictions."

13 minutes ago, Cleburger said:

Is it really though?  When you have a 9 minute video of a police officer kneeling on a subdued suspect's neck?    If the tables were turned and it was a black guy on a white cop, he'd be up for murder one and facing the death penalty.  

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/01/us/minnesota-attorney-general-derek-chauvin/index.html

Speaking generally on the law, he said that there are a number of statutes that can apply to people with varying levels of involvement in an alleged crime, including aiding and abetting and duty to render aid.

The reason police are rarely convicted, let alone prosecuted, is because of Graham v. Connor.  https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/490/386/

Police are subject to a different standard than regular citizens.  So yes, if the tables were turned, it would be different.  But police are largely shielded in use of force cases.

Here's a list of police officers charged in shootings - the list is short.  https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/cases-police-officers-charged-shootings-66017791

Very Stable Genius

16 minutes ago, Cleburger said:

Well that officer got charged, the challenge is charging the other officers who were standing around. For example, one was a rookie, there are tapes out there that he said to Chauvin (maybe not forcefully enough) to let up on the neck as there was no need for the force, and Chauvin did not comply (for obvious reasons, you do not necessarily take the advice of the rookie). What is the level you would hold that individual too in this case? Is it reasonable in the military/ law and order culture to forcefully stand up to the superior in that situation? I personally would have sympathy for that individual. You have a rookie who is relatively green that sees something that is not right, but knows if you challenge authority and are essentially not 100% right, you go down and your career will likely suffer for a long time for standing up to a superior in a situation and being potentially mistaken about it. Even if the calculus is not accurate of the rookie, there is some fear of screwing up early in your career like that so it is sometimes safer to tow the line of the superiors. Now, imagine having to make that decision in a split second and essentially do that analysis in a split second, as a rookie, and deciding to stand up to a superior. It is a very tough calculus to make in that situation. I have some sympathy for that person. It is not the same as following orders. If the rookie were continuously in position to watch heinous acts like this and not stand up, that is different, because he has the time to really formulate a response and do something about it. However, in the split second, it is a bit harder to possibly charge him (successfully) over maybe one or two of the other cops. 

I think this is part of the calculus the Prosecutor is dealing with. 

17 minutes ago, freefourur said:

^^^^^This

America is getting tired of the destruction in nearly every metro area every night. This should be an optimistic time - COVID 19 seems to be under control, stores and restaurants were reopening and following safe practices, etc. Yet here we are, with nightly mobs destroying the places that we had all been so careful about protecting and reopening.

There seems to be some degree of support for parts of the underlying message of the protests, but the fact that these protests take place every day, and turn into riots every night is completely undermining whatever good intentions the organizers might have.

Although I do admit I suspect the "organizers" have their fingers crossed behind their back when they say they want peaceful protests. If they really did, they wouldn't protest in the same exact format as previous days that ultimately ended in riots. When you do the same thing 4 days in a row and each day ends in some degree of riot, the only reason to repeat it is because you liked the results.

Edited by Ram23

The escalation is primarily due t law enforcement tactics. Bringing in the military will not end well and is a very authoritarian move.  I thought you guys hated tyranny?

Law enforcement should be protecting the peaceful protesters from the looters. Instead they treat them as the same. Because L.E exists to protect private property.

Edited by freefourur

56 minutes ago, Ram23 said:

Support 58%

Oppose 30%

yeah, I keep hearing about how all the "peaceful" protesters are being attacked by the police. Here's an example: Friday night I was walking down E. Houston St. at about 9:30 when I encountered a loud bunch of "peaceful" protesters coming from the other direction. To try and avoid them I quickly turned up the Bowery, and you guessed it (!), they turned also, so I decided to watch them for a couple of minutes. They decided to stop at that point. Cars going downtown were forced to frantically turn in the other direction since they occupied all lanes of traffic. I was just feet from someone who wildly took a wire trash basket and hurled it in the direction of one of the cars. A police cruiser quickly arrived only to be met by the same fate, but narrowly escaped any damage. Other objects were thrown in many directions. I had to walk over a block to Lafayette St. to get away from this mob. To say the streets here is now in the hands of criminals is to put it mildly. You've no doubt heard of all the looting and destruction that's taken place in the last couple of days--last night even Macy's flagship was breached. We were successfully on the road of coming out of the lockdown and all of a sudden businesses are boarding up their storefronts as if they're preparing for a Category 5 hurricane. As far as I'm concerned the National Guard can't get here fast enough. Meanwhile, maybe someone can explain how all of this violence honors the memory of George Floyd or how it will bring justice for his family. 

My hope is that order is restored, and then, under very heavy police presence (and hopefully no more than just police then necessary), genuinely PEACEFUL protests are allowed to resume little by little.  I have no problem with peaceful protesters.  Just the violent and lawless ones.

7 minutes ago, Brutus_buckeye said:

Well that officer got charged, the challenge is charging the other officers who were standing around. 

Yeah it only took several days.   

Do you think you or I would be walking the streets if we killed someone by kneeling on a person's neck for 9 minutes and it went viral?    

Do you think the prosecutors would "be careful" with picking the murder charge to make sure "they have a solid case?"  Or would they throw the book at us and leave it up to our attorney's to whittle the charge down to a lesser one?  

I completely understand why the Floyd family and every black citizen is irate.   And this is just the most recent case, one of many.  

Deafening silence from the free speech warriors. I guess only PC college kids can create tyranny not agents of the state.

Also, those of you saying you support peaceful protest but not rioting.  How do you feel about cops arresting peaceful protesters? 

Edited by freefourur

10 minutes ago, jtadams said:

My hope is that order is restored, and then, under very heavy police presence (and hopefully no more than just police then necessary), genuinely PEACEFUL protests are allowed to resume little by little.  I have no problem with peaceful protesters.  Just the violent and lawless ones.

8 minutes ago, Cleburger said:

Yeah it only took several days.   

Do you think you or I would be walking the streets if we killed someone by kneeling on a person's neck for 9 minutes and it went viral?    

Do you think the prosecutors would "be careful" with picking the murder charge to make sure "they have a solid case?"  Or would they throw the book at us and leave it up to our attorney's to whittle the charge down to a lesser one?  

I completely understand why the Floyd family and every black citizen is irate.   And this is just the most recent case, one of many.  

As @DarkandStormy pointed out, there are some privileges and immunity that apply to cops in the line of duty that do not apply to ordinary citizens. Some of that may be justified some of it not. 

It was important for the prosecutor to get this right. I am sure he spent the 3 days trying to figure out a way to charge him with Murder 1 before settling on the involuntary manslaughter and Murder 3. While the heinous crime deserves harsh punishment, such punishment must fit within the nuances of the law and criminal code. The worst thing that could happen is charging Chauvin with a crime to which he could not be convicted. This is exactly what happened in the Baltimore police situation a few years ago, the majority of the cops walked scott free once it got to the jury. 

The lazy comments are that the jury is racist and corrupt and not committed to overcoming injustice, but that would be false in the vast majority of cases. The thing to remember is the police are not getting off because of a hung jury, they are essentially getting acquitted in the majority of cases. The acquittals are coming when you have a jury made of diverse backgrounds (these juries are not all white and in some cases have a majority of minorities on them). 

The point is, the juries are doing their job and examining the evidence within the confines of the criminal code and voting to convict or acquit based on those standards. For example, to convict of Murder 1, you have a key component of intent that must be proven beyond a reasonable doubt. It is extremely tough when you are dealing with an officer who has some qualified immunity on his side. So you look down the spectrum to recklessness and gross negligence and you have something that is a much easier bar to prove. This is a calculation the prosecutor agonizes about and does not need to necessarily be rushed, as it is most important to get right. 

The worst thing that could happen here is the officer walks because the state cannot prove the charges. I applaud the prosecutor on seeking charges where the likelihood of conviction is high. It may not be completely satisfying to know the cop will eventually get out of jail, but at least people can feel some semblance of justice. 

https://www.dataforprogress.org/blog/6/2/george-floyd-murder

We found that a plurality (49 percent) of voters think these sorts of protests will continue until the protests’ root cause is addressed. Meanwhile, 37 percent of voters think the immediate priority should be ending the protests and violence, meaning more police and National Guard should be deployed. The remaining 14 percent weren’t sure. 

A majority of both black and Latin voters (53 percent for each) think that these sorts of protests will continue and that long-term solutions to poverty and violence are needed. Similarly, a plurality of white voters (49 percent) thought that long-term solutions to poverty and violence are required. 

Very Stable Genius

Remembering when Tomi Lahren was on the Daily Show denouncing Kaepernick for kneeling during the anthem, so Trevor Noah asked what would be a "respectful" or "acceptable" way to protest police brutality against minorities and she never gave him an answer.

Very Stable Genius

15 hours ago, brtshrcegr said:

Edit: Just saw your comment about being Gao Xin’s tenant in Boston. That’s amazing, thanks for sharing that. I hope you had the opportunity to chat with him about his experiences, but understand if he was private about it or maybe you weren’t even aware at the time. I’ve spoken with survivors of the massacre and it’s impossible to keep a dry eye. If you’re still in touch with him, I’m sure he’d appreciate a message to say hey and ✊ on Wednesday or Thursday. 

I didn't know he was one of the four central figures until after I moved out.  I knew that he had been kicked out of China and that he was a writer of some sort.  I'm still curious as to how he and his wife were able to buy a 6-unit building in Cambridge, which even 20 years ago was a very expensive property.  He renovated the building himself and built a Chinese-style front porch.  Here it is: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3687469,-71.097897,3a,75y,329.65h,106.33t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sVk3Y3QMThgvT83WKbbW8Fg!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DVk3Y3QMThgvT83WKbbW8Fg%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D216.17212%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

I had two Chinese expat professors in college - one who taught Polysci 101 and the other (described in my previous post) who taught the 20th Century Chinese Art class.  Also, the head of my department was born and raised in NYC's Chinatown to a wealthy family that fled Mao and owned property where the World Trade Center was built in the late 1960s.  

The two expats pretty much hated China and my professor from Chinatown hated Chinatown.  The polysci prof told us about how the first thing he did when he came to the United States was rent a car and drive aimlessly around the American west.  The art history professor told us about being sent to the Mongolian border as a teenager in the 1960s to toil on a peasant farm.  The professor from New York hated how nasty the Chinese-American society was.  

AND

AND

Edited by KJP

2 hours ago, eastvillagedon said:

yeah, I keep hearing about how all the "peaceful" protesters are being attacked by the police. Here's an example: Friday night I was walking down E. Houston St. at about 9:30 when I encountered a loud bunch of "peaceful" protesters coming from the other direction. To try and avoid them I quickly turned up the Bowery, and you guessed it (!), they turned also, so I decided to watch them for a couple of minutes. They decided to stop at that point. Cars going downtown were forced to frantically turn in the other direction since they occupied all lanes of traffic. I was just feet from someone who wildly took a wire trash basket and hurled it in the direction of one of the cars. A police cruiser quickly arrived only to be met by the same fate, but narrowly escaped any damage. Other objects were thrown in many directions. I had to walk over a block to Lafayette St. to get away from this mob. To say the streets here is now in the hands of criminals is to put it mildly. You've no doubt heard of all the looting and destruction that's taken place in the last couple of days--last night even Macy's flagship was breached. We were successfully on the road of coming out of the lockdown and all of a sudden businesses are boarding up their storefronts as if they're preparing for a Category 5 hurricane. As far as I'm concerned the National Guard can't get here fast enough. Meanwhile, maybe someone can explain how all of this violence honors the memory of George Floyd or how it will bring justice for his family. 

Nobody can explain to you what you refuse to understand.  You support Trump.  Trump is a racist, and frankly, so are his supporters.  Every single last one of them, because there's nothing to hide behind now.  None of you care about Floyd or all the others.  None of you care about systemic racism, and for years you all have been arguing it doesn't even exist.  You don't want this solved, and you will fight to maintain the status quo of your privilege at all costs.  That's why you're going so hard on blaming "antifa" and misdirecting to the small group promoting violence and looting (many of them white and plenty of them right-wing).  It's why you desperately want the military involved mowing down protesters.  You don't want to address this issue, and you sure don't want to do an introspective look at your own biases.  If anything, this chaos is what you want, because it gives an opportunity to further the desired authoritarianism, the ultimate goal.  

And the pandemic is ongoing, another issue Trump was too weak to do anything about.  

Severe weather is expected in the Midwest starting tomorrow, so that should put an end to things.  This would have never gotten out-of-hand had it occurred 3-4 weeks ago, when the weather was drizzly and blustery day after day.  

27 minutes ago, DarkandStormy said:

I wonder why Trump and Barr are against anti fascist groups. It's truly a mystery. 

Newark, OH rally (ours wasn’t a protest or riot, rather almost a celebration rally of George Floyd) turned into a legit amazing scene!! Dancing and cheering broke out on the courthouse square as a crowd of probably 400-500 citizens showed up. Police officers broke it down with the crowd. The Newark police chief and Licking County Sherriff both were on hand to lend there support to the rally. The city of Newark continues to make tremendous progress on all fronts. Truly an amazing time to live here! 

https://abc6onyourside.com/news/local/officers-dance-with-crowd-at-peaceful-protests-in-newark

https://mobile.twitter.com/NewarkPD_OH_PIO/status/1267956980586602496?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fabc6onyourside.com%2Fnews%2Flocal%2Fofficers-dance-with-crowd-at-peaceful-protests-in-newark

Edited by OhioFinest

8 hours ago, DarkandStormy said:

What are "Trump's reasons" that are "closer to reality" about why America isn't as great as it could/should be?  (Side note - thought America was going to be Made Great Again...yet, you're saying it's not nearly 4 years after Trump got elected?)

To jon's point - what is the exaggeration?

What would change your mind about it being an exaggeration?

These are all good faith questions.  @Ram23 are you here for an honest discussion or no?

Edited by DarkandStormy

Very Stable Genius

I hope everyone realizes that we are heading towards the next civil war in the US. There will be an economic collapse in almost every urban center in the US. This will spread to the suburbs. This will become a war. 

Trump sending military units to these cities won't stop the Antifa rioters. This will add fuel to their fire. They are being paid to protest. More than likely they can get access to weapons as well. 

This will turn bloody and I see no end in sight. If trump doesn't calm down the narrative, and doesn't pursue unity but rather continue to tweet divisional hatred and threats from his bunker then the fire will only continue to spread and grow. 

Trump has no idea what he is doing right now. He attempting to show power and force and fight fire with fire, but that will only create even a larger fire that will affect even people who live away from the cities urban core. 

This is a historic event in our lives. Children decades from now will be discussing this time period in history textbooks. The only question remains, do we turn the narrative where our leader embraces peace and unity and cuts the chains of division? Or does he pursues brute power and strength that will only lead to more mayhem and chaos across the United States?

4 hours ago, troeros said:

I hope everyone realizes that we are heading towards the next civil war in the US. There will be an economic collapse in almost every urban center in the US. This will spread to the suburbs. This will become a war. 

Trump sending military units to these cities won't stop the Antifa rioters. This will add fuel to their fire. They are being paid to protest. More than likely they can get access to weapons as well. 

This will turn bloody and I see no end in sight. If trump doesn't calm down the narrative, and doesn't pursue unity but rather continue to tweet divisional hatred and threats from his bunker then the fire will only continue to spread and grow. 

Trump has no idea what he is doing right now. He attempting to show power and force and fight fire with fire, but that will only create even a larger fire that will affect even people who live away from the cities urban core. 

This is a historic event in our lives. Children decades from now will be discussing this time period in history textbooks. The only question remains, do we turn the narrative where our leader embraces peace and unity and cuts the chains of division? Or does he pursues brute power and strength that will only lead to more mayhem and chaos across the United States?

Yes.  War is coming.  Soon.  And, frankly, I hope the left and the so-called "right" destroy each other, so that if any of the rest of us remain, we can live in peace, and rebuild a nation based on liberty, justice, and rule of law.

I’m not sure WHAT I just read, but I hope you know that’s exactly what white nationalist groups are trying to stoke.

D5D38783-D9B0-4C0C-9671-C76A2C79ED25.gif

Just now, Enginerd said:

I’m not sure WHAT I just read, but I hope you know that’s exactly what white nationalist groups are trying to stoke.

D5D38783-D9B0-4C0C-9671-C76A2C79ED25.gif

👆

We just saw Karens yelling at lawmakers for not being able to get a haircut, most Americans would crack after a week of “civil war” and it’s disruption to normal life. 

“To an Ohio resident - wherever he lives - some other part of his state seems unreal.”

15 minutes ago, BigDipper 80 said:

We just saw Karens yelling at lawmakers for not being able to get a haircut, most Americans would crack after a week of “civil war” and it’s disruption to normal life. 

You really think Antifa will back down that easily? The radical left aren't Karen's and won't stop until they reach their goal. 

Trump sending in the military won't stop them.

15 hours ago, KJP said:

I can see this being an issue with Trump's plans for military force.    Much of our military grew up in these very communities on the receiving end of police brutality.   

^ Agree. Trump’s useful-idiot ‘I was just following orders’ jackboot thugs exist outside the armed forces and can be easily identified by their goatees, blacked-out trucks, cargo shorts, Oakleys and Punisher t-shirts stretched over their paunches. 

And they reckon that the last thing she saw in her life was
Sting, singing on the roof of the Barbican