Sign in to follow this  
DarkandStormy

George Floyd Protests

^ Absolutely disgusting. The mayor and the chief of police do not appear to be circling the wagons on this either. 

4 Minneapolis cops fired after video shows one kneeling on neck of black man who later died

By Ray Sanchez, Joe Sutton and Artemis Mos

(CNN)Four Minneapolis police officers have been fired for their involvement in the death of a black man who was held down with a knee as he protested that he couldn't breathe, officials said Tuesday.

The FBI is investigating the incident, which drew widespread condemnation of the officers after a video showing part of the encounter circulated on social media.

Mayor Jacob Frey said the technique used to pin George Floyd's head to the ground was against department regulations.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/26/us/minneapolis-police-encounter-death-trnd/index.html

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

They forgot to bring their assault rifles.

I agree that the protesters in Minnesota were treated differently than the armed "militia" going into state houses.

But the Minnesota protesters weren't all peaceful as KJP's shared tweet implies. I saw video of a large group throwing rocks and bricks at police and their cruisers. I don't know what happened right before any tear gas was fired or rubber bullets were used, but a blanket statement that they were peaceful isn't entirely accurate.

Again, I don't know what happened before tear gas was fired, I only only that tear gas was fired, and police were getting rocks and bricks thrown at them.

13 hours ago, ryanlammi said:

But the Minnesota protesters weren't all peaceful as KJP's shared tweet implies. I saw video of a large group throwing rocks and bricks at police and their cruisers. I don't know what happened right before any tear gas was fired or rubber bullets were used, but a blanket statement that they were peaceful isn't entirely accurate.

Again, I don't know what happened before tear gas was fired, I only only that tear gas was fired, and police were getting rocks and bricks thrown at them.

Whoa -- as you said, we don't know whether the violence began before or after tear gas was fired.   So I don't think you can say that the protestors were not peaceful before the police fired tear gas and rubber bullets at them. 

I disagree with both the decision to throw rocks and the decision to use rubber bullets, no matter which came first. But tear gas and rubber bullets certainly did not calm the situation and the police are supposed to maintain control and calm things down not escalate them.

The police clearly need better and different training than whatever it is that they are getting.

https://www.mintpressnews.com/chief-prosecutor-amy-klobuchar-dismissed-charges-cop-killed-george-floyd/267933/

While serving as Minnesota’s chief prosecutor between 1999 and 2007, Klobuchar declined to bring charges against more than two dozen officers who had killed citizens while on duty – including against the cop that killed George Floyd.

Very Stable Genius

This is a prime example of the bad 1% that make police profession look bad. I don’t know the details of this incident but this man was handcuffed and there were plenty of officers there should he actively resisted further. All it would have taken was ONE other officer to tell the primary officer to take a step back and reassess the incident. 
I hope the involved officers are held completely responsible for their actions and also their lack of action. 

On 5/27/2020 at 9:02 AM, X said:

They forgot to bring their assault rifles.

They did remember the lighters and accelerants, though:

Buildings Trashed, Burned Down Across Minneapolis Overnight

https://patch.com/minnesota/southwestminneapolis/buildings-trashed-burned-down-across-minneapolis-overnight

The photo below was 190 units of affordable housing:

dsi2jhkrtg151.jpg

^ one group was protesting not being able to get free refills at Applebees. the other was protesting state murder of an individual.

4 minutes ago, richNcincy said:

This is a prime example of the bad 1% that make police profession look bad.

You keep insisting there's a miniscule portion of the apples that are bad but literally all of the officers on the scene stood by and allowed him to continue to put pressure on George Floyd's neck for 7 minutes without saying a damn thing to him.  That's 0/4.  What are the odds that all four happen to be part of this "bad 1%?"

Maybe it is a tiny portion of officers who are racist or use excessive force on minorities or whatever.  But there certainly aren't 99% of cops who are good and willing to tackle the "bad 1%" in their ranks.  See: Floyd, George.

Very Stable Genius

1 hour ago, DarkandStormy said:

It is not fair to look back at past incidents and equate them to the current one. Each incident has its own facts and needs to be examined individually. 

We want due process in all situations especially the most eggregious ones.

10 minutes ago, Brutus_buckeye said:

It is not fair to look back at past incidents and equate them to the current one. Each incident has its own facts and needs to be examined individually. 

We want due process in all situations especially the most eggregious ones.

Agreed.   What stands out in this instance, and others, is that if the video hadn't surfaced, would anything been done?  

I was listening to Geraldo on WTAM this morning and there were cops calling in saying "but what about cops that are killed in the line of duty?"   No one likes that either--and the difference is if a cop is killed, there is an entire department looking for justice.   When an unarmed black man is killed, the union goes into protect mode and nothing is said until video appears.   

24 minutes ago, DarkandStormy said:

You keep insisting there's a miniscule portion of the apples that are bad but literally all of the officers on the scene stood by and allowed him to continue to put pressure on George Floyd's neck for 7 minutes without saying a damn thing to him.  That's 0/4.  What are the odds that all four happen to be part of this "bad 1%?"

Maybe it is a tiny portion of officers who are racist or use excessive force on minorities or whatever.  But there certainly aren't 99% of cops who are good and willing to tackle the "bad 1%" in their ranks.  See: Floyd, George.

What good is a good cop if he doesn't do good when good needs done?

White cop murders someone - I see nothing.

Black people with low level marijuana offenses - felony

Edited by freefourur

Judging by that statute be won't be charged with Murder. It be impossible barring a statement from the officer to prove premeditation. I wonder what their manslaughter statutes look like. 

Funny and sad Twitter string....

AND

^ Channel 6 is live for an extended period with this protest tonight. The first thing that stuck out to me is how many of the protesters are white. Like 50-60%. Everyone is fed up with this, not just minorities. White people that think about it for a few minutes realize that police brutality can happen to them too. Big fat Harley whites forget that cops beat the crap out of the 1960s Harley guys for little cause all the time. Probably because they came of age in 1980 rather than the 1964 that people think they did.

The protesters moved to the Statehouse and seem to have managed to bust the door open before the Troopers inside secured the location. TV news left and says the protesters have dispersed but may be just saying that to keep more people from showing up.

Meanwhile, in Minneapolis. Police station was also set on fire. This is so sad -- it doesn't solve anything.....

If only the protesters knew to gain access to the Statehouse, just show up with an AR-15 strapped across your chest and yell at some cops.  They'll waive you right in.  

Yep, still more scared of unhinged white people with assault rifles and body armor than a 17-year-old black kid with no shirt on throwing a trash can.

OMG

And

This was a few hours ago 

Edited by KJP

https://www.google.com/amp/s/lawandcrime.com/high-profile/if-you-say-you-cant-breathe-youre-breathing-mississippi-mayor-defends-officers-involved-in-george-floyds-arrest/amp/

If You Say You Can’t Breathe, You’re Breathing’: Mississippi Mayor Defends Officers Involved in George Floyd’s Arrest

I could've put this in the other thread for police excessive use of force,.  But anyone defending police in this issue, definitely has some racism in them...     

4 hours ago, TwoStickney419 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/lawandcrime.com/high-profile/if-you-say-you-cant-breathe-youre-breathing-mississippi-mayor-defends-officers-involved-in-george-floyds-arrest/amp/

If You Say You Can’t Breathe, You’re Breathing’: Mississippi Mayor Defends Officers Involved in George Floyd’s Arrest

I could've put this in the other thread for police excessive use of force,.  But anyone defending police in this issue, definitely has some racism in them...     

No one significant has defended the cops.   Not the harshest rightest on my FB, not any of the cops.   Hell, even Rush Limbaugh went off on them on yesterday's show.

Then the riots started, and the unanimity they had was undermined.

I doubt one in fifty of the rioters could name Justine Damond, either.

If the goal of the BLM types is to rein in police behavior, they are doing things very counterproductively.

Two comments from African American friends don't justify rioting but it describes the desperation. As MLK said, rioting is the language of the unheard....

They want us to wait and let the justice system work. We've been waiting a long time and it ain't working for us. I doubt if it works this time. The 4 officers who just got fired will probably be on another police force by the end of the year.

My great niece. I’ve helped raise her, teach her. Happy kid, gets along with everybody. She bothers no one. This could happen to her one day. Simply because of the color of her skin. It sickens me to my core that I live in a country that allows this to continue.

51 minutes ago, E Rocc said:

No one significant has defended the cops.   Not the harshest rightest on my FB, not any of the cops.   Hell, even Rush Limbaugh went off on them on yesterday's show.

If the goal of the BLM types is to rein in police behavior, they are doing things very counterproductively.

No one significant has defended the cops except the state and local authorities in Minneapolis. 

Yes, the officers were fired (which is amazing).  But they are still walking the street free, not arrested, not facing a bond that they or their families can't afford, not waiting for a court-appointed attorney.   

If the goal of the Minnesota "law and order" types is to rein in police behavior, they too are doing things very counterproductively.  

1 hour ago, E Rocc said:

This is what bothers me. Go ahead and denounce looting and burning of private property, sure. But bad actions by protesters shouldn't undermine the fact that a police officer knelt on a man until he died and that is not ok. I'm tired of people using poor protest behavior as an excuse to ignore what started the riot in the first place. 

“To an Ohio resident - wherever he lives - some other part of his state seems unreal.”

Poor protest behavior? I would not call rioters and looters protesters. THere are protesters and there are the anarchists. They are two different groups. The anarchists mix with the protesters to give them cover. They give the protesters a bad name. But rioters and looters are not protesters and should not be confused as such. They are criminals.

2 hours ago, E Rocc said:

And why would they?  Justice was served in that case and the guy got 12.5 years in prison. 

Action, reaction.  

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

7 minutes ago, Brutus_buckeye said:

Poor protest behavior? I would not call rioters and looters protesters. THere are protesters and there are the anarchists. They are two different groups. The anarchists mix with the protesters to give them cover. They give the protesters a bad name. But rioters and looters are not protesters and should not be confused as such. They are criminals.

My point still stands. People are focusing more on rioting and looting than bringing justice for George Floyd. I'm not remotely condoning rioting and looting, but it's being used to direct the conversation away from the actual issue.

“To an Ohio resident - wherever he lives - some other part of his state seems unreal.”

8 minutes ago, freefourur said:

^cops that murder people are also criminals and human life is more important than property.

Yes, they are not mutually exclusive. 

The cops deserve to go to jail for a long time for this heinous act.

The rioters and looters and criminals who are destroying small businesses in the community and assaulting, beating, shooting, their fellow citizens under the guise of a protest do not deserve sympathy and should not be hailed as courageous either. 

The protesters who are out there to protest are the ones who should be respected. Looters and rioters just corrupt their goal and mission of trying to expose injustice. 

4 minutes ago, Brutus_buckeye said:

Yes, they are not mutually exclusive. 

The cops deserve to go to jail for a long time for this heinous act.

The rioters and looters and criminals who are destroying small businesses in the community and assaulting, beating, shooting, their fellow citizens under the guise of a protest do not deserve sympathy and should not be hailed as courageous either. 

The protesters who are out there to protest are the ones who should be respected. Looters and rioters just corrupt their goal and mission of trying to expose injustice. 

The REAL protesters who are actually from the area and community are there during the day.  Gathering peacefully in front of the station and then leaving.

The people trying to take advantage of the situation are looting and setting things on fire probably aren't even from the Twin Cities; every news cast you see a lot of white people in black, I'll leave it to your imagination who those people are and what they represent. 

Edited by wpcc88

4 minutes ago, BigDipper 80 said:

My point still stands. People are focusing more on rioting and looting than bringing justice for George Floyd. I'm not remotely condoning rioting and looting, but it's being used to direct the conversation away from the actual issue.

I dont see that. I think the entire country is angered by this. It is much different than say Ferguson where different groups saw things differently depending on the perspective. It is different than many of the other cases where there was that argument of a judgment call. In this case, you have an officer sitting on a person's neck effectively strangling him. I have not even heard one police officer defend the cops on this. That is the difference.  In fact, many in law enforcement are disgusted by their fellow officers because it paints them all in a bad light. Police officers will be killed around the country because of this incident so it is not something that any person who cares about justice defends.  George Flynn's death is a rallying cry that can bring people together for justice, so long as people act responsibly.

The rioters and looters dont care about justice, They are only out for themselves and solely look to co-opt the movement for their own personal violent gains. People should recognize this. While many of the protesters are good. There are some really bad people mixed in there that are out for trouble. Those people need to be stopped. 

9 minutes ago, Brutus_buckeye said:

The police unions and bad police officers don't care about justice, They are only out for themselves and solely look to co-opt the movement for their own personal violent gains. People should recognize this. While many police officers are good. There are some really bad police officers mixed in there that are out for trouble. Those people need to be stopped. 

FTFY.

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

15 minutes ago, Brutus_buckeye said:

George Flynn's death is a rallying cry that can bring people together for justice, so long as people act responsibly.

You're still implying that rioting can pre-empt that rallying cry. It's an excuse to do nothing about the underlying situation and ignore the actual problem. 

^Four journalists have been arrested covering the protests in the wake of George Floyd's death.  Still waiting on those four officers, though.

Very Stable Genius