Sign in to follow this  
Guest rob_1412

Eastern Daylight Time in Indiana - Make it go away!

Damn! I hate it already! I can't get to sleep at a decent hour at night, and in the morning I can't wake up. I drag myself out of bed and stumble-fumble around until my third cup of coffee, and I'm still tired and unmotivated most of the day. By mid-afternoon I'm dead on my feet, but if I take a nap it'll only make the getting-to-sleep-at-night problem worse.

We had this before, maybe in the seventies, and I think it only lasted a couple of years before people demanded that it go away. Maybe this time it'll be different, though; Mitch has promised that it's going to make all us Hoosiers prosperous. I'll probably be too tired to spend my new wealth.

Meh... I'm still waking up a bit late and such, too, but it'll be normal in a few days.  'Course, I'm young and spry. :wink:

By the way, what's the story on some counties switching time zones?  Has that happened now, is that yet to happen, or is that not going to happen?  With DST now, sunset in western Indiana would be practically in the middle of the night!

^That's definitely the next logical step...I mean, it's dark early enough in the winter...why screw up all the clocks just to plunge winter evenings into darkness even faster?  Everyone should just shift over one time zone...

Here's Lileks from yesterday:

I realize Daylight Savings Time is an artificial construct. (Like the 60-minute hour, for example.) And I – don’t  - care.  If nothing else, I like resetting all the clocks. The average American has more clocks than a 15th century Pope could dream of owning.

For all intents, Cincy has the same sunrise and sunset with Ft Wayne, maybe a few minutes later but we are at the same latitude. I personally love the hours of daylight after work - can get so much done...later in June there are last vestiages of daylight at 10pm!

Definitely, very very similary sunset/sunrise.  To put some numbers on it...Ft. Wayne is at W85.2 / N41.1; Cincinnati is at W84.5 / N39.1...since Ft. Wayne is further north, they'll always get slightly longer days in the summer and slightly shorter nights in the winter...just looking at sunrise/sunset for Fort Wayne vs. Cincinnati on June 22nd:

Sunrise / Sunset

Ft. Wayne   6:09 / 9:17

Cincinnati   6:12 / 9:08

...so an extra 12 minutes of daylight...compared with December 22nd:

Sunrise / Sunset

Ft. Wayne   8:03 / 5:16

Cincinnati   7:54 / 5:19

...12 minutes less...

From http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneDay.html - very handy site!

And I agree - being able to start grilling a whole roaster chicken at 8pm, and knowing you'll still have daylight when it's done - priceless!

All right, it's about time for my semiannual bitching about changing the clock and reviving a thread that hasn't been posted in for 7 years seems like the logical place to do it.

First of all, it's pretty obvious that it was invented as a joke.

http://www.webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/franklin3.html

Second, it's been proven to not actually save energy.

Third, during the spring and fall, it puts pedestrians in danger by making them stand in the dark more often.

Fourth, it's a PITA for payroll offices around the country.

Fifth, I just don't want to change my clocks. FU government time nazis!