Guest RiverViewer

MLB: General News & Discussion

why is everyone acting like this moron is so special. Hell he's been lying for years. Treat him the same way yall treat Barry Bonds!

I thought about this the other day and I think the big difference here is that Barry Bonds was still playing when he went through his steroid saga. McGwire's been out of the league for years. People saw the "face of steroids" (Bonds) on the field almost every day and it upset them! Not to mention Bonds holds the single season HR record and was continuing to move up the ladder in career HR totals in spite of the steroid allegations. Oh, and Bond's was horrible with the press... that didn't help.

Nobody is buying into what he is saying, plus the timing of it raises questions to me. How much of McGuire admitting to steroids have to deal with his coaching? I see it as him saying "I've admitted what I did, now leave me alone and let me coach"

Oh, and Bond's was horrible with the press... that didn't help.

Yeah but McGuire was too. They were all scared sh!tless. They had to testify in front of Congress.

why is everyone acting like this moron is so special.  Hell he's been lying for years.  Treat him the same way yall treat Barry Bonds!

I thought about this the other day and I think the big difference here is that Barry Bonds was still playing when he went through his steroid saga.  McGwire's been out of the league for years.  People saw the "face of steroids" (Bonds) on the field almost every day and it upset them!  Not to mention Bonds holds the single season HR record and was continuing to move up the ladder in career HR totals in spite of the steroid allegations.  Oh, and Bond's was horrible with the press... that didn't help.

Part of that is BS.

Most average professional athletes are bad with the media, which is why only a few select can get into broadcast after their careers end.

why is everyone acting like this moron is so special.  Hell he's been lying for years.  Treat him the same way yall treat Barry Bonds!

I thought about this the other day and I think the big difference here is that Barry Bonds was still playing when he went through his steroid saga.  McGwire's been out of the league for years.  People saw the "face of steroids" (Bonds) on the field almost every day and it upset them!  Not to mention Bonds holds the single season HR record and was continuing to move up the ladder in career HR totals in spite of the steroid allegations.  Oh, and Bond's was horrible with the press... that didn't help.

Nobody is buying into what he is saying, plus the timing of it raises questions to me. How much of McGuire admitting to steroids have to deal with his coaching? I see it as him saying "I've admitted what I did, now leave me alone and let me coach"

I have a strong feeling that part of his employment contract has a morality clause in it.  Meaning he had to come clean in order to be hired, so the ball club that hired him wouldn't take any heat.

Oh, and Bond's was horrible with the press... that didn't help.

Yeah but McGuire was too. They were all scared sh!tless. They had to testify in front of Congress.

He want immunity, remember? He did testify but "did not want to talk about the past" .  Just look at the testimony.

why is everyone acting like this moron is so special. Hell he's been lying for years. Treat him the same way yall treat Barry Bonds!

Bonds was embroiled in steroid controversy right smack in the season he beat Hank Aaron's all time home run record, one of the most storied records in baseball. And he's a prick. But the first is why the spotlight was shined (shone? Shinned? 'Ach, laddie, quit shinnin' tha light on me so I kinna see!') on him so brightly.

Steroids weren't so widely recognized when McGuire and Sosa 'saved' baseball with their single season competition. In retrospect, this has put an extremely sour taste in my mouth about the whole sport. It wouldn't surprise me if every hall of fame caliber player in the last two decades ultimately came out and said they took them. The sport has zero credibility with me any more.

And this is why baseball is pretty much unwatchable.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/news/story?id=5366254&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

Source: Lee-to-Yanks deal nearly done

By Buster Olney

ESPN The Magazine

A trade that would send Mariners left-hander Cliff Lee to the Yankees was "just about done" on Friday morning, according to an executive involved in the trade talks.

The Mariners have been pushing hard to complete the trade, but as of Friday morning there was no agreement in place, sources said, and it was possible another team could have stepped in to make a more aggressive bid....

^Jumped the gun on this one.

M's trade Lee to Rangers for Smoak, prospects

Sporting News staff reports

Friday, Jul. 9, 2010 - 5:47 p.m. ET

Mariners ace Cliff Lee is headed to the Rangers in a six-player trade, the New York Post reports.  Seattle will send Lee to Texas along with reliever Mark Lowe.  The Mariners will receive first baseman Justin Smoak and three minor leaguers in return.

Lee was on the brink of being traded to the Yankees on Thursday night but the deal fell through Friday.

MORE: http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/article/2010-07-09/ms-trade-lee-rangers-for-smoak-prospects

... all depends on what they're offering ... sucks anyway ...

At least according to Jocketty ... Reds were one of the three finalist - along with Yanks & Rangers.

Time is now for the Reds

The Reds took a mighty swing at Cliff Lee, and missed. Lee went to the Texas Rangers, who have a nice team but no money. The Reds have a nice team and a little money. They’re still prepared to spend it, if the deal is right. The problem is, the Reds’ starting pitching is already better than anyone else rumored to be available. No team is swapping its future for Ted Lilly or Dan Haren.

Lee was really the only fish in the sea. At least the Cardinals didn’t get him.

The good news is, Walt Jocketty is well known for his curiosity this time of year. More often than not, it has served him well. The GM had a proposal for Bob Castellini, aka The Big Man, for acquiring Lee. Safe to say, he’ll have others.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20100709/COL03/307090086/Doc-Time-is-now-for-Reds

MLB Attendance Watch: Tough Times In Toronto And Cleveland

by Jim McLennan • Aug 10, 2010 5:01 PM EDT

A couple of weeks into the baseball season, I wrote a piece on early attendance trends, which at that point indicated a loss of about 700,000 fans on the season. Turns out that was an under-estimate. With the better part of two months left to go, numbers are already down by almost that much, compared to 2009 - projected forward for the rest of the season, another million fans will be lost from the ballpark in 2010.

What's more disturbing is that this comes on the heels of the five million decrease from 2008 to 2009. Obviously, the economy plays a factor, but it's the first time there have been consecutive drops of more than a million since 1950-52. over which time the annual crowds dropped from 17.2 to 14 million. As before, however, the overall number conceals a wide variation among teams.

Some of that is to be expected - the Mets got the "new field boost" last season. But the Indians have simply been hemorrhaging fans over the past few seasons. The per-game number is more than ten thousand down on when they went to the playoffs in 2007, and is on pace to be the lowest for Cleveland since 1992, before they moved into Jacobs/Progressive Field. The Blue Jays are worse off still - the last time they averaged less than twenty thousand per game was 1982.

http://www.sbnation.com/2010/8/10/1616203/baseball-attendance-toronto-cleveland

This is a huge blow to the Washington Nationals.  And not great for MLB either.  The phenom was a great story this summer.  Now he's out for the rest of this season, maybe all of next season, and no guarantee of a 100% recovery.  Maybe he can do it, he's still young.

Tommy John surgery likely for Strasburg

Stephen Strasburg has a torn elbow ligament and will likely have Tommy John surgery, bringing the pitcher's promising rookie season to an abrupt end.  Washington Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo said Friday an MRI on the right elbow revealed a ''significant tear.''  Strasburg will travel to the West Coast for a second opinion, but Rizzo anticipates the 22-year-old right-hander will need the operation that requires 12 to 18 months of rehabilitation.

Full article: http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Strasburg-expected-to-need-tommy-john-surgery-082710

The San Francisco Giants knocked off the Texas Rangers to win the World Series last night.  The Giants win their first WS in 56 years!  Can't believe the Giants haven't won since 1954. 

Anyone remember the 1954 series?  The Giants beat the Indians.  That was the series when Willie Mays made "The Catch" against Vic Wertz of the Indians.  That was when Wertz smashed the ball at least 420 feet, only to have Mays make a spectacular over-the-shoulder catch.  1954 was so long ago that the Giants where the New York Giants and the catch occurred in the Polo Grounds. 

Scratch the Giants off the long-suffering list.  The Indians still hold a 62 year series draught and the Cubs a 102 year draught.  Although the Rangers still have a 49 year draught with this series loss.

Anyone else hear folks in the media complaining about the small markets infesting the World Series this year?  I thought they were joking until I kept hearing it.

Anyone else hear folks in the media complaining about the small markets infesting the World Series this year?  I thought they were joking until I kept hearing it.

What "media" companies/people are you speaking of?

Sports analysts I know I saw it on ESPN.  I heard it on the radio a couple times but I've never paid attention to the affiliations on sports radio.  Saw it again today on ESPN discussing the ratings.  Apparently the second lowest rated WS ever.  My point being that it's just odd to me that Dallas and San Francisco also apparently don't fall into big market in this context.

Sports analysts I know I saw it on ESPN.  I heard it on the radio a couple times but I've never paid attention to the affiliations on sports radio.  Saw it again today on ESPN discussing the ratings.  Apparently the second lowest rated WS ever.  My point being that it's just odd to me that Dallas and San Francisco also apparently don't fall into big market in this context.

That is because you're confusing what the MLB defines as a "Market" to be equal to what the Metro population is.  What the population count is and what they're definition of what a market is, are two different things,yet there are a lot of variables.

You could have a team in a city with a large metro population, yet they can be considered a small market team based on ad sales, marketing and broadcast numbers/yields.  Example the Expos (now the Nationals) or the Toronto Raptors (NBA), San Diego Chargers (NFL).

I would have thought this series would have pretty good ratings, because Texas and the Bay Area have pretty large populations, but I think MTS is right.  Also, these teams don't really have many big stars (Hamilton, Lee, and Lincecum aside).  Philly and the Yanks have more household names per team than both of these teams combined.  Also, the games were mostly blowouts...

I think that even if "big market" teams where in the World Series it still would of had poor ratings. I believe the MLB have lost the respect of many of their fans. The problem is that so many teams aren't able to compete year after year which then makes those fans stray away from their team and baseball in general.

Hall of Fame manager Sparky Anderson dead at 76

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. (AP) -- Hall of Fame manager Sparky Anderson, who directed Cincinnati's Big Red Machine to back-to-back World Series championships and went on to win another title in Detroit, died Thursday. He was 76.

Anderson died from complications from dementia, family spokesman Dan Ewald said.  A day earlier, Anderson's family said he had been placed in hospice care.

Anderson was the first manager to win World Series titles in both leagues and the only manager to lead two franchises in career wins.  His total of 2,194 wins as a manager were the third highest when he retired after the 1995 season, trailing only Connie Mack and John McGraw.

MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2010/11/04/04-sparky.html?sid=101

^If the Reds and Tigers play this year, they definitely need to do something in his honor.

If those teams were to play baseball again, THIS YEAR, Hell I would do something in his honor!  ;)

After 161 games, the AL and NL wild card races are coming down to Game 162. 

Boston is tied with Tampa Bay in the AL.  Boston plays at Baltimore.  The Yanks play at TB.

Atlanta is tied with St. Louis in the NL.  The Phillies play at Atlanta.  St. Louis plays at Houston.

^^Ha, no joke.  Not till the head banging against wall stops in Boston, though, which could take a few days.

That was one crazy night baseball last night.  The fangraphs.come site charts win probablilities for each game, play by play, from which they constructed this playoff odds timeline for the Sox and Rays last night which really illustrates how nuts and improbably those last 10 minutes were:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/reliving-the-final-day-in-the-al-visually/

Go Cards!...and Rays!  8-)

Should've took bets on that! :wink:

That was one crazy night baseball last night.

Amazingly crazy.  More twists and turns than a soap opera.

In the NL - STL got the first result with an 8-0 win over Houston.  Ironically, the last of the four games to start play but the first to finish.  Then they had to wait for the ATL vs. Philadelphia result.  ATL took a 3-2 lead into the 9th.  The Braves rookie closer (who had been having a great season) can't hold the lead.  Philly gets the tying run and the 3-3 game goes into to extra innings.  ATL almost wins it in the 10th.  With two outs and a runner on, Chipper Jones blasts a ball to left-center.  But a speedy reserve center fielder tracks down the ball at the warning track.  Philly ends up winning in the 13th inning, 4-3.  STL advances to the playoffs.

Meanwhile in the AL - BOS holds a 3-2 lead into the 7th at Baltimore, when an hour long rain delay halts the game.

At the same time in Tampa Bay - TB trails the Yankees 7-0 going into the 8th.  TB scores 6 runs in the bottom of the 8th to cut the lead 7-6.  But they're still one run down in the bottom of the 9th.  The Yanks get the first two outs and the Rays are down to their final out.  Pinch hitter Dan Johnson hits a line-drive down the right field line which barely goes over a lower section of the outfield wall inside the fair poll.  The game is now tied 7-7.

Back in Baltimore - the BOS/BAL game returns from rain delay.  BOS holds its slim 3-2 lead and takes it into the bottom of the 9th.

And thus is the prologue for the fateful three minutes that determined the AL wild-card.

BOS brings in closer Papelbon to finish the game and he gets the first two outs.  Then Baltimore gets a double.  Then another double to tie the game 3-3.  Then Baltimore lines to left.  Crawford almost catches it, but it lands just short of his glove.  The winning run for Baltimore scores.  BOS loses 4-3.

In Tampa Bay, the game grinds into the 12th inning.  The crowd cheers the news of the Boston loss.  Evan Longoria steps to the plate with one out and nobody on.  He hits a line-drive down the left field line which barely goes over a lower section of the outfield wall inside the fair poll.  TB wins 8-7 and advances to the playoffs.

Four pivotal games and three amazing comebacks in one night! 

Two record setting collapses too.  Atlanta lost a 8 1/2 game September lead to St. Louis.  Which was only exceeded by Boston's 9 game blown September lead to Tampa Bay!  WOW

An ESPN writer explained it even better:  Rays, Sox and a night you won't forget

And the actual timeline from last night from the same link at ESPN:

Four cities, two playoff spots and one epic night. Within 89 minutes, Atlanta and Boston collapsed as St. Louis and Tampa Bay completed two unimaginable comebacks.

10:26 p.m. ET -- Cardinals win 8-0

11:40 p.m. ET -- Braves lose 4-3 in 13th, are eliminated

12:02 a.m. ET -- Red Sox lose 4-3 on walk-off single in 9th

12:05 a.m. ET -- Rays win 8-7 on walk-off home run in 12th, eliminating Red Sox

no question the last night of the season crazy and exciting, however i dont like the realignment and wildcard team additions and that tempers it a bit for me. drags the season out, its just a money grab and it just aint right.

wait! otoh any extra chance for the yankees to get ko'd...lol!

Without the playoffs / wildcard structure, you wouldn't have had Wednesday night. I think the playoffs are the best thing baseball's done in a long time.

And how dare you slander my Yanks  :-P

I'm pulling for the Tigers and the Brewers.

Me too. Go Midwest!!!

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

I can't stand the Cards, but I'm hoping they keep their lead over the Phillies. I prefer a Midwestern team over a major market team, even if the MW team is the Reds' bitter rivals. Especially in Baseball, where the roster budgets get so crazy.

Detroit so deserves to take it all.

Is anyone really watching?  I'm just glad the Stankees were eliminated.

I watched last night, but prior to then I hadn't watched any full games. Two games in a row where the losing teams would be eliminated was interesting enough to watch. And obviously I had opinions about who I wanted to win, so that makes watching easier.

Cards-Phillies was pretty boring, as the only run occurred in the top of the first. Then...crickets. I was surprised when Halladay intentionally walked Pujols to load the bases in the 8th.

I agree with your Yankees sentiment. Seeing them snuffed out early was satisfying. (Though not as satisfying as if they hadn't made the post-season. At least it was via wild card.)

I watched the game 5s.  But I thought Cards-Phils was great last night.  It just felt like every man on base and every warning track fly out was really important.

I watched the game 5s.  But I thought Cards-Phils was great last night.  It just felt like every man on base and every warning track fly out was really important.

True. That kept it watchable. Still, I like to see some ups-and-downs in runs! :)

I agree with your Yankees sentiment. Seeing them snuffed out early was satisfying. (Though not as satisfying as if they hadn't made the post-season. At least it was via wild card.)

Not that it matters now, but the Yanks won the division. TB squeaked out the Red Sox for the Wild Card spot. And how awful a sports town is TB that they can't sell out a playoff series? Probably a bunch of NY'ers rooting for the Yankees!

With the Yanks out I'm all in for the Brewers. Small market team having a heck of a season.