sabotage619

Coronavirus Effects on Ohio Construction & Development

29 minutes ago, gottaplan said:

$2.2 trillion isn't big time?

it's a lot of money, and a lot of that money does a lot of good. Is it enough, though? I don't think this one act of Congress tied with the two smaller bills is enough. A lot more will need to be done on the federal level.

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 3:31 PM, DEPACincy said:

My neighborhood has a ton of renovations going on. Most are done by small developers. I'm worried that a work stoppage would be a death blow to their bottom line and their projects might never get done. So far they've all been going on as planned.

Right, most of them are toast.  That's why you don't borrow money for kitchen and bathroom remodels, i.e. the 2008 HELOC meltdown.  

Pay cash for toys.  A remodeled kitchen and bathroom are as much a toy as a backyard pool.  

Miami+commission+mtg-Mike+Sarasti-1.jpg

FRIDAY, APRIL 3, 2020

Lack of city hall tech risks making construction sector sick

....But the same cannot be said for nearly all local municipal governments. Their meetings of city councils, planning commissions, boards of zoning appeals (BZA) and other scheduled public gatherings remain canceled for the foreseeable future. That has stalled proposed real estate developments big and small and their resultant job creation, several developers said.

While city officials in many communities say the meeting cancellations are necessary to comply with Sunshine Laws, technology is making that contention questionable.

MORE:

https://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2020/04/lack-of-city-hall-tech-risks-making.html

• Like 3

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

6 hours ago, GCrites80s said:

But the old kitchen and bath are DATED

There was no concept of a "dated" interior when I grew up.  Sure, grandma and great-grandma had hilariously old furniture that you often weren't allowed to sit on (I recall that all of my great-grandmother's furniture was covered in sheets), but the interior of the house was physically unchanged from the time it was built. 

The only major home modifications I can recall were screened-in porches, finished basements, and the occasional finished attic.  There were also storm doors and storm windows.  The Ikea-looking minimalist interior was impossible before modern insulated windows.  Previously, drapes served the very important purpose of insulating drafty old windows. 

Moving a house from coal heat to a gas furnace was a huge expense.  In fact it still is - the difference is that you get 0% 60-month financing now to replace your 15 year-old gas furnace.  I wouldn't doubt that back in the 50s and 60s you were paying 8% in 24 months, and only with a letter of recommendation from your employer.