KJP

Coronavirus Pandemic

15 hours ago, jonoh81 said:

Ohio had its 2nd highest new case total today since April 21st.  More testing?  Multiple states are recording new highs, and more states are seeing 1000+ new cases a day.  Thoughts and prayers.

Hospilization and ICU admissions went up as well. I hate to say this, but this is going to bite Dewine in the ass. Nothing wrong with Reopening your econemy, but there is everything wrong with Reopening it this quickly. The phases should have been phased out much farther apart. 

Also, who the hell thought allowing weddings and banquets with 300 people was a good idea? Who is going to police this, even if you expect the patrons to be in groups of 10, 6 feet apart. They most certainly will congregate and mingle at some point. Just so unrealistic. 

I believe Ohio is the only state in the us to permit this as well. Just so much horrible decision making as of late by Dewine. It's frustrating to watch sometimes. 

image.png.ae40323ba81787031f9f5a1f03087167.pngimage.png.90e7eec8719e9c460d53969cfc294114.png

These are both "as reported" over the previous 24 hour period, not necessarily when they occurred (i.e. the backdating on the state's website).  The spike in cases in mid-April came from testing a significant portion of the prison population, if I recall.

You can see more here (https://covid19.danoniot.com/) for data based on as they occurred - and essentially there's nothing for the last 5-7 days because of all the backdating, so take the ends of those graphs with a grain of salt.  You can also find the testing numbers there as well with a positive % to boot.

Very Stable Genius

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/05/22/hydroxychloroquine-coronavirus-study/

A study of 96,000 hospitalized coronavirus patients on six continents found that those who received an antimalarial drug promoted by President Trump as a “game changer” in the fight against the virus had a significantly higher risk of death compared with those who did not.

People treated with hydroxychloroquine, or the closely related drug chloroquine, were also more likely to develop a type of irregular heart rhythm, or arrhythmia, that can lead to sudden cardiac death, it concluded.

Very Stable Genius

1 hour ago, DarkandStormy said:

image.png.ae40323ba81787031f9f5a1f03087167.pngimage.png.90e7eec8719e9c460d53969cfc294114.png

These are both "as reported" over the previous 24 hour period, not necessarily when they occurred (i.e. the backdating on the state's website).  The spike in cases in mid-April came from testing a significant portion of the prison population, if I recall.

You can see more here (https://covid19.danoniot.com/) for data based on as they occurred - and essentially there's nothing for the last 5-7 days because of all the backdating, so take the ends of those graphs with a grain of salt.  You can also find the testing numbers there as well with a positive % to boot.

Correct me if I'm reading the chart wrong...but it seems like cases and deaths were at it's lowest during the first few initial weeks of lockdown and have increased in tail end of April and may/mid may. 

I'm not really sure how this suggests support of Reopening. Especially banquets for 300 people. 

So many European countries are exiting lockdown with cases in the single digits. We are Reopening with a slope that has really not changed...

25 minutes ago, troeros said:

Correct me if I'm reading the chart wrong...but it seems like cases and deaths were at it's lowest during the first few initial weeks of lockdown and have increased in tail end of April and may/mid may. 

I'm not really sure how this suggests support of Reopening. Especially banquets for 300 people. 

So many European countries are exiting lockdown with cases in the single digits. We are Reopening with a slope that has really not changed...

Hey, nice to see you back!

I think you have to remember that there is a huge lag with both infections then symptoms then hospital then deaths. It can be 2 months from being exposed to death in some people.

I think they averaged 14 days from exposure to symptoms, then another 7 days to hospitalization then another 2 weeks to death if it ends that way.

So, when you look at the case counts when lockdown started, it was likely much more further spread out. You can also assume that the cases are going to actually rise a bit and plateau though it is hard to account for everyone now being dilligent in washing hands, not touching face, social distancing and wearing masks. This will likely drive down the numbers in what otherwise if you kept everything constant be an instant rebound.

So, I think what we will see is pretty consistent numbers now moving forward. Perhaps they rise a bit. But, this is what America is choosing. That doesn't mean you can't be super cautious, etc. If it starts to get out of hand they are going to shut things down again trust me.

Also, I do believe the sun helps so we should expect as most universities are now expecting to have a second wave as we start moving more indoors again. That could also happen right away once school starts but the hope is that they controlled the local / community spread enough that is is non-existant though I HIGHLY doubt that.

I am a little bit more concerned because I saw 3 Kroger Employees at the Springview Village Kroger tested positive, that means there is community spread moving around in that area of town. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2020/05/14/kroger-employees-at-cincinnati-store-test-positive.html

My wife is due in early July so we won't be doing anythign and probably nothing for a long time, not worth the risk, so it really will be a spectrum on what you believe is risk vs reward. If it starts to spike again you can guarantee things will start getting shut down again.

https://labornotes.org/2020/05/follow-money-employers-are-behind-rush-reopen

The so-called recovery from the 2008 Great Recession saw Wall Street profits hit all-time highs while workers’ wages remained stagnant and union density hit an all-time low. “Recovery for me, poverty for thee” is again the corporate goal for the post-corona economy.

The pandemic response has fallen on the shoulders of state governments. Those hit hardest by the virus now face enormous budget shortfalls and the corporate-backed network is leveraging the moment to push austerity everywhere.

Michigan, for example, is estimated to be $1 billion to $3 billion in the red. The Mackinac Center, a corporate-financed SPN affiliate, has published an austerity wish list of items unrelated to the pandemic. It includes laying off a quarter of the state’s “non-essential” public employees, shuttering local libraries, hiking state employees' health care premiums, and raising in-state tuition at public universities.

The “Open the Economy” rallies in Michigan, Minnesota, Virginia, and elsewhere take a page from the “Back to Work” actions promoted by employers to break strikes in the 1930s.

3 hours ago, DarkandStormy said:

Even if you discount the last week and the spikes from the April prison testing, there is still a pretty clear rise over time.  The reopening phases definitely didn't adhere to any standards in terms of ensuring that case numbers/deaths had seen consistent declines.  I agree with others- DeWine did a great job at the beginning, but he is undermining all of it now, probably solely because of political pressure.  I assume Acton's influence has been significantly reduced in recent weeks.

1 hour ago, Cavalier Attitude said:

With a system set up with no safety nets and no social programs to help offset times of economic hardship, workers become desperate.  Corporations know this.  When people are desperate to work, they can be taken advantage of far more easily without expectations of raises or benefits, or even proper safety measures. This is the Republican wet dream.  

35 minutes ago, troeros said:

Ohio reported 627 cases, 84 hospitalizations, and 36 deaths in the past 24 hours.

Cases, hospitalizations, and ICU admissions are greater than the 21-day average (which is still an odd number to use as an average).

Very Stable Genius

DeWine is caving to the pressure and is going to doom us to a very bad second wave and I doubt there will be a second shutdown-more likely just a "die out" allowed like they have had in Sweden. 

1 hour ago, DarkandStormy said:

Cases, hospitalizations, and ICU admissions are greater than the 21-day average (which is still an odd number to use as an average).

The current number of people in the hospital, in the ICU, and on ventilators have all declined significantly in the last 2 weeks (15%, 9%, and 7% respectively.)

Source: last graph on https://coronavirus.ohio.gov/wps/portal/gov/covid-19/dashboards/key-metrics/hospitalizations

It will be interesting to see what happens to this trend in the next couple of weeks.

Edited by jam40jeff

I think it's important to remember the lag time between when a test is taken and when it's reported. Any new case that appears today on the data sheet is from roughly a week ago. 

The majority of things will be opened up again by June 1st. 

Incubation time is normally on average 2 weeks from first point of Infection. Add a 1 week lag in reporting into the equation and thus we will probably know how good/bad Reopening is judging by End of June data. 

I would be surprised if there was no spike, especially if people will have weddings again with 300 guests...but we shall see. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/missouri-hair-stylist-coronavirus-worked-while-symptomatic-exposed-dozens-clients-n1213561?cid=sm_npd_nn_fb_ma

Missouri hair stylist with coronavirus worked while symptomatic, exposed dozens of clients

Health officials were tracking down 91 people who were potentially exposed to determine if they've developed COVID-19.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/california-church-goer-tests-positive-day-after-service-violating-coronavirus-n1209541?icid=related

California churchgoer tests positive day after service violating coronavirus order; 180 exposed

A congregant tested positive for the coronavirus the day after attending a Mother's Day service at Palermo Bible Family Church.

2 hours ago, TwoStickney419 said:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/missouri-hair-stylist-coronavirus-worked-while-symptomatic-exposed-dozens-clients-n1213561?cid=sm_npd_nn_fb_ma

Missouri hair stylist with coronavirus worked while symptomatic, exposed dozens of clients

Health officials were tracking down 91 people who were potentially exposed to determine if they've developed COVID-19.

It wAs hER ChoICe tO mAke!

I am getting concerned about my mom's county. I previously mentioned the issues with the pork plants but now the rural county is having community transmission.

The numbers are 93 positive in the county.

To put in perspective, the county has 13,229 people

93/13229 = 0.7% infection rate

This is from a few days ago:

http://www.belmondnews.com/news/covid-cases-now-total-85-in-wright-county----updated/article_89944aea-9a0d-11ea-80a6-133a77963384.html

To put into perspective with Hamilton, County, OH

817,000 people * 0.7% = 5,700 cases

Currently we have 2,350 cases which in reality we are about a month or more ahead of them in the pandemic.

Finally went to a bar last night after my friends dragged me out for the first time since March. 

There was probably 50+/- people by my headcount. Most of the bartenders were wearing masks but one had his mask down his neck the entire time ..it was kinda frustrating. 

The patrons were good at adhering to the rules. No standing around the bar...you have to sit at a table in order to get a drink, keep 6 feet distance between patrons, etc. 

I do think though that bars will struggle mightily though. These new rules, albeit good for safety made a really lame bar experience. People go to bars to socialize with others and the new set up makes it like highschool clique's with individual tables and seating arrangements. 

Add to the fact there is no dance floor/karaoke just makes going out on a Saturday night to a bar kind of pointless at this point in time. 

My friends agreed they probably won't go back to a bar until after this is all over. Way more enjoyable to just drink at home, plus way cheaper at this point. 

Alot of service industry people are going back to work and being kicked off unemployment...the sad reality is that these people will struggle mightily with these new rules. The level of business won't be anywhere near normal levels and their tips will be significantly reduced. 

There is going to be a new wave of poverty during this pandemic. The wealthy people will stay wealthy, but the people who were are already treading lightly between living paycheck to paycheck are absolutely going to plummet during all of this. 

Edited by troeros

^ Your government knows it, allows it and will do nothing about it. The rich get richer, the poor get poorer.

Oh, I forgot the $1200 stimulus check.

On 5/22/2020 at 4:35 PM, Toddguy said:

DeWine is caving to the pressure and is going to doom us to a very bad second wave and I doubt there will be a second shutdown-more likely just a "die out" allowed like they have had in Sweden. 

We're basically screwed at this point and whatever is going to happen is what's going to happen. 

Seen on Facebook....

"This shutdown saga is exposing who's never been told 'no' in their life."

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

It seems like deaths are moving up faster.  With the known treatment options they should be leveling off.  I wonder if people are actively asking for hydroxychloriquine and that is why deaths are going higher. 

For those without a positive IgG or who have not recovered from a positive RNA to SARS-CoV-2, prepare for the next wave....

Edited by Frmr CLEder

This Cleveland Clinic release is more than a few days old, but I don't think it got the attention it deserves - I got it from an NIH post. Some interesting approaches that don't get much coverage. 

https://newsroom.clevelandclinic.org/2020/05/10/leading-the-way-in-innovative-research-for-covid-19-patients/

Edited by Dougal

There's nothing wrong with optimism, as long as you don't get your hopes up.

^Yep, there is the silly study still going on by CC and likely other hospitals of hydroxychloroquine.  WHO just announced hospitals to stop testing it.  Even the wacky doctor in Kansas is saying it shouldn’t be used once patient’s ailments are severe. 
   To me the point of the drug was cutting the fever and that is fine since that is how it is used for malaria.  Not everybody gets a fever so i would imagine it would be best used for those people that do.  Even then its mainly just “taking the edge off”. 
   From my understanding money that was being doled out by the CDC/HHS for testing treatments were giving preferential treatment to hospitals that were testing using hydroxychloroquine which is likely why it is even being tested at all. 

I won't castrate any of the studies that are placebo-controlled double blind studies that achieve their clinical endpoints; we desperately need therapeutics for the infection and its sequelae.

Despite multiple trials and disparate clinical approaches, a vaccine is not inevitable.

We do however need peer-reviewed data of documented safety and efficacy, not anecdotal reports from Presidential supporters, political pundits or conspiracy theorists with stock options. 

Edited by Frmr CLEder

Well I was wondering when this would happen, and well it finally happened.

I was at Target today and decided to go to the bathroom. I was wearing my mask, like I always do, when I go grocery shopping. 

This guy in the urinal stall next to me started murmuring to himself, "ridiculous"... He kept going, talking sh*t, and I said, "excuse me?"

He confronted me and said it's "stupid" that I was wearing a mask, especially in the bathroom. 

I went up to him and said that I have a lung disease and that I'm high risk for complications and that next time he should mind his own business.

He kept going on and on, spewing bs. I finally walked out and called him a self centered piece of sh*t before I finally left. 

Never would I have thought that wearing a mask, especially during a pandemic, would be so controversial. It's become a political weapon. 

It's frustrating guys. It really is. I'm usually non- confrontational. I keep to myself and ignore sh*t like this. 

But I was pushed over the edge. I was literally being attacked because I care about my health and the health of my friends and family. 

I've come to the point where I won't back down. If someone wants to come at me for wearing a mask then I will fight back. Maybe, these idiots will understand who they are messing with and won't do it again to someone else. 

40 minutes ago, troeros said:

I was at Target today and decided to go to the bathroom. I was wearing my mask, like I always do, when I go grocery shopping. 

This guy in the urinal stall next to me started murmuring to himself, "ridiculous"... He kept going, talking sh*t, and I said, "excuse me?"

He confronted me and said it's "stupid" that I was wearing a mask, especially in the bathroom. 

I went up to him and said that I have a lung disease and that I'm high risk for complications and that next time he should mind his own business.

He kept going on and on, spewing bs. I finally walked out and called him a self centered piece of sh*t before I finally left. 

Never would I have thought that wearing a mask, especially during a pandemic, would be so controversial. It's become a political weapon. 

It's frustrating guys. It really is. I'm usually non- confrontational. I keep to myself and ignore sh*t like this. 

But I was pushed over the edge. I was literally being attacked because I care about my health and the health of my friends and family. 

I've come to the point where I won't back down. If someone wants to come at me for wearing a mask then I will fight back. Maybe, these idiots will understand who they are messing with and won't do it again to someone else. 

This is what happens when a POS is president and won't set an example. 

1 hour ago, troeros said:

Like everything, people need to mind their own business. No one should question or confront you for wearing a mask and no one should question or confront someone for not wearing a mask. If they are adults, they can make their own choices. Does not mean you can't judge them or agree with their decisions, but it is really not responsible to confront them in public, especially since you cannot be prepared for their reaction since they are a stranger.

2 hours ago, Brutus_buckeye said:

Like everything, people need to mind their own business. No one should question or confront you for wearing a mask and no one should question or confront someone for not wearing a mask. If they are adults, they can make their own choices. Does not mean you can't judge them or agree with their decisions, but it is really not responsible to confront them in public, especially since you cannot be prepared for their reaction since they are a stranger.

I'm sure it's of great comfort to all the people who end up on ventilators and die that they minded their own business and didn't confront the irresponsible douche that wasn't wearing a mask and gave them the virus.  Because muh freedom. 

Not sure how many times this needs repeating, but I'll do so anyway. 

We are in the midst of a global pandemic. Just because the economy is reopening, does not mean the virus has miraculously vanished. It's still circulating in the community.

To mitigate the contagion, public health policy recommends wearing face masks and exercising social distancing in public to protect ourselves, our families and vulnerable members of our society. Failure to do so demonstrates a lack of moral character and a complete disregard and disrespect for our fellow citizens. Is it really that difficult? Really? You may be saving someone's life.

We live in a society.

If one cannot adhere to public health policies, move to a private island.

Edited by Frmr CLEder

2 hours ago, Frmr CLEder said:

Not sure how many times this needs repeating, but I'll do so anyway. 

We are in the midst of a global pandemic. Just because the economy is reopening, does not mean the virus has miraculously vanished. It's still circulating in the community.

To mitigate the contagion, public health policy recommends wearing face masks and exercising social distancing in public to protect ourselves, our families and vulnerable members of our society. Failure to do so demonstrates a lack of moral character and a complete disregard and disrespect for our fellow citizens. Is it really that difficult? Really? You may be saving someone's life.

We live in a society.

If one cannot adhere to public health policies, move to a private island.

We live in a Constitutional republic where each and every action of the government must conform to the limitations established by the supreme written law of the land.  Said document contains no provisions for restricting the rights it protects, under any circumstances whatsoever.

If one cannot accept that, move to a nation where there is no such limitation on the power of government.   That's basically all of them, except us.

5 hours ago, jonoh81 said:

I'm sure it's of great comfort to all the people who end up on ventilators and die that they minded their own business and didn't confront the irresponsible douche that wasn't wearing a mask and gave them the virus.  Because muh freedom. 

WHO's credibility has become very suspect, but check this out.  It's April 2, but I haven't been able to find anything different more recent.

https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/situation-reports/20200402-sitrep-73-covid-19.pdf?sfvrsn=5ae25bc7_2#:~:text=An asymptomatic laboratory-confirmed,more information becomes available.

An asymptomatic laboratory-confirmed case is a person infected with COVID-19 who does not develop symptoms. Asymptomatic transmission refers to transmission of the virus from a person, who does not develop symptoms.

There are few reports of laboratory-confirmed cases who are truly asymptomatic, and to date, there has been no documented asymptomatic transmission. This does not exclude the possibility that it may occur. Asymptomatic cases have been reported as part of contact tracing efforts in some countries. WHO regularly monitors all emerging evidence about this critical topic and will provide an upda te as more information becomes available.

4 minutes ago, E Rocc said:

WHO's credibility has become very suspect, but check this out.  It's April 2, but I haven't been able to find anything different more recent.

9b95ac8859163b6e098fe1c525bc16b0.jpg

32 minutes ago, E Rocc said:

We live in a Constitutional republic where each and every action of the government must conform to the limitations established by the supreme written law of the land.  Said document contains no provisions for restricting the rights it protects, under any circumstances whatsoever.

If one cannot accept that, move to a nation where there is no such limitation on the power of government.   That's basically all of them, except us.

People don’t choose where they’re born. And the constitution isn’t a sacred text. It’s ok to dislike the place where you’re stuck. 

6 hours ago, jonoh81 said:

I'm going to start ignoring lane lines, because it's my freedom to do so.  Every other driver should mind their own business and not confront me.

Very Stable Genius

The thing I've noticed is that their is a legit rage in some over people wearing masks. 

It's as if they believe the virus is either a hoax or not nearly as bad as reported.

Regardless, of your political affiliations or how bad you think the virus is or isn't, it's not incredibly hard to mind your own business. 

Me wearing a mask shouldn't effect your day to day life. But for some reason they think that the growing mask culture is somehow a propaganda tool of some sort used to fuel this conspiracy theory of theirs. 

It's really dumb. 

2 hours ago, E Rocc said:

This constitutional republic also has the responsibility of protecting its citizens from those who attempt to do them harm; either from without or within.

It should not be inferred that "freedom of speech" means freedom to cause death and despair to other citizens.

Decisions have consequences.

Unless you are an infectious disease specialist and epidemiologist, I'll rely upon their expert advice. That's what they do.

In this society, if that is unacceptable, there are private islands (and public - ie; Rikers) for your accommodation.

Edited by Frmr CLEder

25 minutes ago, troeros said:

The thing I've noticed is that their is a legit rage in some over people wearing masks. 

It's as if they believe the virus is either a hoax or not nearly as bad as reported.

Regardless, of your political affiliations or how bad you think the virus is or isn't, it's not incredibly hard to mind your own business. 

Me wearing a mask shouldn't effect your day to day life. But for some reason they think that the growing mask culture is somehow a propaganda tool of some sort used to fuel this conspiracy theory of theirs. 

It's really dumb. 

it's just monkey-brained denial. you wearing the mask reminds them that it might be real and that makes them angry.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/editorspicks/article/Sweden-herd-immunity-experiment-backfires-covid-15289437.php

https://www.folkhalsomyndigheten.se/nyheter-och-press/nyhetsarkiv/2020/maj/forsta-resultaten-fran-pagaende-undersokning-av-antikroppar-for-covid-19-virus/

Recent antibodies in Sweden estimate that 7.3% of the population has had covid-19.  They need their infections to spread AT LEAST TEN FOLD to get to herd immunity.  They already have the 6th-highest per capita death rate of any country in the world with a population greater than 1m.  If the 7.3% is accurate, their reported cases represent ~4% of total cases.

Very Stable Genius

7 hours ago, jonoh81 said:

If you want to play stupid games @jon81oh you can win the stupid prizes. Personally, no matter where your political stripes lie or where you lie on this issue, being a busybody to strangers is not a good idea. I would not be approaching a random stranger whom I have never met before to lecture them about not wearing a mask or wearing a mask because that person may choose to just beat your a$$.  

Just because you may be right does not mean you dont need to mind your own business. 

We finally got the reusable cloth masks we ordered online 3-4 weeks ago. On Saturday we drove out to Milford and walked around the historic downtown area for a little bit. All of the businesses were uncomfortably crowded and very few people were wearing masks. I'm pretty sure people were staring at us and talking %@& about us because we were wearing masks. I will not be surprised one bit if we see a major spike 1-2 weeks from now. Too many people think they can just pretend it doesn't exist and it will go away.

11 minutes ago, DarkandStormy said:

Recent antibodies in Sweden estimate that 7.3% of the population has had covid-19.  They need their infections to spread AT LEAST TEN FOLD to get to herd immunity.  They already have the 6th-highest per capita death rate of any country in the world with a population greater than 1m.  If the 7.3% is accurate, their reported cases represent ~4% of total cases.

I think this is exactly the reason we need to buy time; managed exposure until we have safe and effective therapeutics and a possible vaccine. 

We are nowhere near herd immunity and to get there may take years.

Edited by Frmr CLEder

This graph would be devastating to the "it's just the flu" crowd if they actually cared about evidence.

26-morning-deaths2-articleLarge.png

4 minutes ago, taestell said:

We finally got the reusable cloth masks we ordered online 3-4 weeks ago. On Saturday we drove out to Milford and walked around the historic downtown area for a little bit. All of the businesses were uncomfortably crowded and very few people were wearing masks. I'm pretty sure people were staring at us and talking %@& about us because we were wearing masks. I will not be surprised one bit it we a major spike 1-2 weeks from now. Too many people think they can just pretend it doesn't exist and it will go away.

It certainly depends on where you live as to how people wear the mask. 

I have been in Montgomery, Hyde Park, Oakley, Mason, Blue Ash and everyone had a mask on.

I have been to Eastgate, Delhi, Milford, Lawrenceburg and very few people had masks on. 

11 minutes ago, GCrites80s said:

About time for another Constitutional Convention. It's supposed to be a living document.

Not going to happen because the normal Amendment process works well enough.  It's supposed to be difficult to change.