KJP

Coronavirus Pandemic

11 minutes ago, TheCOV said:

Deaths in US are down quite a bit since Friday on Worldometers site. Calm before the second wave?

I would think so. Hasn't just about any other area that has starting opening up seen an increase in cases? I guess it is inevitable and I can deal with it as long as healthcare resources are not overwhelmed. We are all going to probably get it anyway and the idea was not really to prevent this, but to not overwhelm our healthcare resources. 

I really hate the bind that many older people/people with pre-existing conditions are in regarding being able to still shelter in place though-many are still part of the workforce and may have to go back and  risk exposure or loss of job now instead of hoping to catch it later when there are better treatments or maybe even a vaccine. Most younger people are not going to get a bad case of this, but for those who are older it is a very great risk. And most(?) people in their 60's and some in their 70's have still been in the workforce-often by necessity.

I just hope that healthcare is not overwhelmed by the coming second wave. I have no idea of where they are really on various forms of testing, if they are going to be able to do contact tracing, what the situation is regarding staffing and PPE for hospitals, etc.

Edited by Toddguy

1 minute ago, troeros said:

Deaths are always down on the weekend even more so when there is a holiday. Less tests, less hospital staff to count the dead in the morgue/pushed to the weekday.

You can look at previous charts and it will show that trend for multiple months now. There is almost always a weekend lag and then a middle of the week rise. 

With the holiday I bet the surge will be big in the coming weeks. Look at that mess in that Colorado restaurant! smh.

1 hour ago, taestell said:

Plebs can't wait to go shopping.

This is so weird to me. What kind of person is just JONESIN to go to the Nike Outlet AS SOON AS IT OPENS.

The urge to go shopping is just strange to me. It's just not a family activity for us. We usually spend weekends doing outdoor activities.  I do miss coffee shops and sit down restaurants but I can wait.

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

https://www.politico.com/story/2014/10/rand-paul-ebola-111547

Sen. Rand Paul is warning that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention might be downplaying the threat from the Ebola virus.

The Kentucky Republican, appearing on “The Laura Ingraham Show” on Wednesday, said the CDC and the Obama administration are giving off a false sense of security.

“I think because of political correctness we’re not really making sound, rational, scientific decisions on this,” the senator said. “It’s a big mistake to underestimate the potential for problems worldwide.”

https://www.businessinsider.com/rand-paul-anthony-fauci-senate-hearing-argument-video-2020-5

Sen. Rand Paul, a Kentucky Republican, criticized Dr. Anthony Fauci, the nation's top infectious disease expert, during a Tuesday Senate hearing, arguing that Fauci shouldn't be the "end-all" decision-maker when it comes to the US coronavirus response. 

Paul claimed there likely won't be a surge in coronavirus cases as states loosen social distancing requirements and reopen businesses across the country. He added that he hopes those "who are predicting doom and gloom" will "admit that they were wrong if there isn't a surge."

Rand Paul, who isn't a doctor, played up fears of Ebola spreading in 2014 and is now downplaying the threat of covid-19.  A truly "principled" conservative.

Very Stable Genius

3 hours ago, Toddguy said:

I would think so. Hasn't just about any other area that has starting opening up seen an increase in cases? I guess it is inevitable and I can deal with it as long as healthcare resources are not overwhelmed. We are all going to probably get it anyway and the idea was not really to prevent this, but to not overwhelm our healthcare resources. 

I really hate the bind that many older people/people with pre-existing conditions are in regarding being able to still shelter in place though-many are still part of the workforce and may have to go back and  risk exposure or loss of job now instead of hoping to catch it later when there are better treatments or maybe even a vaccine. Most younger people are not going to get a bad case of this, but for those who are older it is a very great risk. And most(?) people in their 60's and some in their 70's have still been in the workforce-often by necessity.

I just hope that healthcare is not overwhelmed by the coming second wave. I have no idea of where they are really on various forms of testing, if they are going to be able to do contact tracing, what the situation is regarding staffing and PPE for hospitals, etc.

Yep.  Iran has been seeing steadily rising numbers again.  South Korea and Germany are seeing new outbreaks.  This past weekend will likely be the US low for the next few months at least.  I actually think the 2nd wave has the potential to be worse than the first in most places, just because we haven't been seeing very high antibody rates in the general population from what limited testing has been done and people are going to be less likely to follow any future lockdown restrictions.  

Edited by jonoh81

16 minutes ago, jonoh81 said:

Yep.  Iran has been seeing steadily rising numbers.  South Korea and Germany are seeing new outbreaks.  This past weekend will likely be the US low for the next few months at least.  I actually think the 2nd wave has the potential to be worse than the first in most places, just because we haven't been seeing very high antibody rates in the general population from what limited testing has been done and people are going to be less likely to follow any future lockdown restrictions.  

I am just going to do my best to make sure myself and my father are not a part of this coming second wave. I hope that they will be able to manage things regarding healthcare not being overwhelmed. I have no idea of where hospitals are with staffing issues, PPE, etc. Things are certainly going to get busier so if they are not where they need to be now they really need to be getting ready. Also with more places opening up the demand for PPE(especially masks, sanitizers, etc)is going to rise. Is our supply rising as much as it needs to be? When I run out of hand sanitizer(still have about 36 oz left)will I be able to get any? When will the public be able to get basic cleaning supplies(the kind like wipes that will kill the virus, etc?)

Also why hasn't the Federal Government been more instrumental in getting/forcing these supplies to be increased both for the general public and for healthcare? At this point there should be absolutely no shortages for healthcare workers anywhere. I have not heard anything really about how they are doing with getting anti-body plasma-where are they on that? Where are they on other possible treatments besides this and Remdesivir, and how much production of that is going on? 

Too many unanswered questions right now. 

*Also I read that a number of the clubs/bars involved in the outbreak in South Korea were gay clubs and bars-and that it has been difficult to contact trace, especially because of gay people fearing coming forward because of social stigmas. Apparently the number of people they cannot get a hold of is in the thousands.

Authorities are scrambling to track down thousands of people who visited venues in the Itaewon entertainment district -- including several gay clubs.

Many visitors are believed to be reluctant to come forward because of the stigma surrounding homosexuality.

https://news.yahoo.com/nightlife-cluster-gives-korea-largest-case-rise-month-024621268.html

Edited by Toddguy

28 minutes ago, Toddguy said:

I am just going to do my best to make sure myself and my father are not a part of this coming second wave. I hope that they will be able to manage things regarding healthcare not being overwhelmed. I have no idea of where hospitals are with staffing issues, PPE, etc. Things are certainly going to get busier so if they are not where they need to be now they really need to be getting ready. Also with more places opening up the demand for PPE(especially masks, sanitizers, etc)is going to rise. Is our supply rising as much as it needs to be? When I run out of hand sanitizer(still have about 36 oz left)will I be able to get any? When will the public be able to get basic cleaning supplies(the kind like wipes that will kill the virus, etc?)

Also why hasn't the Federal Government been more instrumental in getting/forcing these supplies to be increased both for the general public and for healthcare? At this point there should be absolutely no shortages for healthcare workers anywhere. I have not heard anything really about how they are doing with getting anti-body plasma-where are they on that? Where are they on other possible treatments besides this and Remdesivir, and how much production of that is going on? 

Too many unanswered questions right now. 

*Also I read that a number of the clubs/bars involved in the outbreak in South Korea were gay clubs and bars-and that it has been difficult to contact trace, especially because of gay people fearing coming forward because of social stigmas. Apparently the number of people they cannot get a hold of is in the thousands.

https://news.yahoo.com/nightlife-cluster-gives-korea-largest-case-rise-month-024621268.html

Mark that down under the ever-growing list of Unintended Consequences of Irrational Conservatism.  

36 minutes ago, Toddguy said:

When I run out of hand sanitizer(still have about 36 oz left)will I be able to get any? When will the public be able to get basic cleaning supplies(the kind like wipes that will kill the virus, etc?)

Also why hasn't the Federal Government been more instrumental in getting/forcing these supplies to be increased both for the general public and for healthcare?

Still can't buy Lysol wipes anywhere. They are sold out on Amazon and not available for Kroger pickup. I'd go into other stores to look for them but I don't have a cloth mask yet. Everywhere that sells them online is sold out.

Total failure of leadership that we can't even take basic precautions if we wanted to, because the supplies aren't available.

1 minute ago, taestell said:

Still can't buy Lysol wipes anywhere. They are sold out on Amazon and not available for Kroger pickup. I'd go into other stores to look for them but I don't have a cloth mask yet. Everywhere that sells them online is sold out.

Total failure of leadership that we can't even take basic precautions if we wanted to, because the supplies aren't available.

Yeah, I mean I get it at first when there was a rush on these items, but it has now been over 2 months since the panic started and it seems there has been nothing done in attempt to make these items more widely available.

https://www.dispatch.com/news/20200512/coronavirus-in-ohio-cases-grow-modestly-as-tattoo-body-piercing-massage-services-get-ok-to-reopen

473 new cases, 79 new deaths. 

Butler County Ohio experiences a 225% percent increase due to a newly discovered covid outbreak. 

Massage Parlors and tattoo shops open Friday.

What the hell is this governor thinking? We haven't reduced the cases, and deaths are still steady and now we will just go out and about again with no consequences? We will eventually have to shut down our economy again and it will largely be at the fault of this Governor for expediting this reopening process instead of being slow and methodical. 

DeWine cancelled the election when we had 50 cases in the state. Now we're getting hundreds of new cases every day and he says people can go back out for tattoos and haircuts. Okay.

26 minutes ago, troeros said:

What the hell is this governor thinking? 

He wants people off unemployment.  Basic Republican MO.

Very Stable Genius

The second wave is fermenting and may be bad enough to scare some of these nay sayers into coming to their senses. For others, they simply don't care, thinking the pandemic is a Bill Gates/Tony Fauci/Globalized control conspiracy. They will kill themselves and their families before relinquishing what they think is control over their own destinies.

Edited by Frmr CLEder

Look at the replies to this tweet from 2014.  The people IN SUPPORT OF IT are the exact ones whining that they can't run on a treadmill are a gym or enjoy happy hour at Applebee's.  Something something, cognitive dissonance.

Very Stable Genius

39 minutes ago, Frmr CLEder said:

The second wave is fermenting and may be bad enough to scare some of these nay sayers into coming to their senses. For others, they simply don't care, thinking the pandemic is a Bill Gates/Tony Fauci/Globalized control conspiracy. They will kill themselves and their families before relinquishing what they think is control over their own destinies.

My Trump-supporting aunt posted something about the Bill Gates conspiracy the other day and I could not roll my eyes hard enough. It's definitely mainstream with the racist, "deep state" nutters.

2 hours ago, DarkandStormy said:

He wants people off unemployment.  Basic Republican MO.

Cool...so people will get off unemployment quicker but will face another lockdown in the near future because of the decision to rush the lockdown process. 

Do we have any details on what budget deficit the state of Ohio is facing? Worst case scenario, if we had to endure another lockdown in the next few months because of the reopening would Ohio even have enough money left in the bank to pay for unemployment? 

This is just the tip of the iceberg Im afraid, and I'm low key worried that the worst is yet to come economically. 

https://www.citybeat.com/news/blog/21132880/columbus-named-as-covid19-location-to-watch-in-unreleased-white-house-report-says-nbc-news

I'm not surprised tbh. 

Again, this lockdown easing should be slow and methodical. Mike Dewine says that either outcome poses risks..whether you continue the lockdown and choose not to reopen the econemy or open to soon...the reality is that he is wrong. 

The only risk is about being slow with the easing of the lockdown is that you dig a deeper hole for the state budget deficit.

Jobs can be gained back. Businesses can start again. Money can be replenished. Human lives, once gone can never be returned. Mike Dewine, shame on you. 

1 hour ago, troeros said:

Cool...so people will get off unemployment quicker but will face another lockdown in the near future because of the decision to rush the lockdown process. 

Do we have any details on what budget deficit the state of Ohio is facing? Worst case scenario, if we had to endure another lockdown in the next few months because of the reopening would Ohio even have enough money left in the bank to pay for unemployment? 

State unemployment is completely wiped out. It's almost certainly going to need bailed out by the Feds. The only other way to rebuild it would be to charge employers and additional 10-20% or more of payroll for years -- which would lead to more unemployment. In normal, undepleted times it's 2.7% of payroll unless you are in a high-layoff business.

6 hours ago, taestell said:

The reason we can't ramp up supply of things is due to our 3-shift, 24-hour work culture. In First-World countries people have put their foot down and said "I am not working 12am-8am long term" so factories in those countries have extra capacity from normally being idle at night. Here the work never stops so there's no extra capacity.

11 minutes ago, GCrites80s said:

The reason we can't ramp up supply of things is due to our 3-shift, 24-hour work culture. In First-World countries people have put their foot down and said "I am not working 12am-8am long term" so factories in those countries have extra capacity from normally being idle at night. Here the work never stops so there's no extra capacity.

Many distribution places work on 24-hour cycles because they do 8 hours for receiving, 8 hours for stocking/inventory, and then 8 hours for picking.  You can do all of those things at once in a small place but when a place gets above a certain size - definitely before you hit 50 guys - they have to phase it.   That way you get a lot more out of X number of dock doors as well. 

UPS/Fedex are different because they do four 5-hour shifts so they don't have to have any full-time workers. 

25 minutes ago, GCrites80s said:

So essentially, if the second wave hits harder than the first, and Ohio has to shut down again that would essentially mean the realization of anarchy correct? Assuming that the feds don't step in of course. 

Can someone explain this dichotomy?

"We have to get the economy opened and running again."

"No, I will not wear a mask out in public."

^These two views are mostly held by the same people.  But the second one ensures that the first one has a greater chance of happening while keeping people healthy.  So why the resistance to it?

Very Stable Genius

28 minutes ago, DarkandStormy said:

Can someone explain this dichotomy?

"We have to get the economy opened and running again."

"No, I will not wear a mask out in public."

^These two views are mostly held by the same people.  But the second one ensures that the first one has a greater chance of happening while keeping people healthy.  So why the resistance to it?

So I'm underqualified to make an assessment like this but I'm going to anyways... 

Most people with that attitude are Trump supporters, the Venn diagram would be nearly a circle...

As with other things, a sizable portion of Trump supporters were wildly unhappy with their lots in like (particularly men)... and they were attracted to Trump because he:

1. Let them place blame on their own shortcomings on Democrats, immigrants, globalists, et al. 

2. Made them feel a sense of machismo in that the most powerful man on Earth had the same vocabulary and spoke the same way as the regular crowd at a bar in Old Brooklyn. 

Masks have been viewed as a sign of weakness in Trump's inner circle... despite the fact that mask use is for OTHERS way more than ourselves... So they've clung to the idea that masks are associated with the de-masculinization of America, and now its just something else to push back against. 

Some people simply cannot comprehend that we live in a society and are all interconnected and interdependent on each other. They simply cannot process anything beyond "muh rights." There's nothing more to it than that.

What they fail to realize is that until everyone feels safe enough, things will never return to "normal." Their behaviors don't instill a feeling of safety. 

That safe feeling includes going to restaurants/bars, Cedar Point, Indians Games, air travel, Browns Games, street fairs; a portion of the population will elect to stay safe, avoiding those activities/venues and the businesses will continue to suffer as a result.

Edited by Frmr CLEder

11 minutes ago, Frmr CLEder said:

What they fail to realize is that until everyone feels safe enough, things will never return to "normal." Their behaviors don't instill a feeling of safety. 

That safe feeling includes going to restaurants/bars, Cedar Point, Indians Games, air travel, Browns Games, street fairs; a portion of the population will elect to stay safe, avoiding those activities/venues and the businesses will continue to suffer as a result.

No mask needed - God will protect me

God will not protect me - need AR-15

1 minute ago, IAGuy39 said:

Let me know if you can find any coronavirus coverage on fox news.

https://www.foxnews.com/

crazy...

They do have a tab at top, then if you go down and on the right, you can see they created a new website called: Coronavirusnow.com

https://www.coronavirusnow.com/

They've moved on to Obamagate. They can't get any distractions that can stick.

1 minute ago, freefourur said:

They've moved on to Obamagate. They can't get any distractions that can stick.

Has anyone figured out what Obamagate is?

"Obamagate" is just the new "Benghazi", a thing people on the right can yell to deflect all criticism.

Speaking of which, we are up to 82,806 American deaths due to Covid-19. Or, 20,701× the number of Americans that were killed in Benghazi.

6 minutes ago, taestell said:

"Obamagate" is just the new "Benghazi", a thing people on the right can yell to deflect all criticism.

The right wing media machine is working over time to deflect Trump's handling of COVID.  Meanwhile...

On 5/12/2020 at 2:01 PM, DarkandStormy said:

https://www.politico.com/story/2014/10/rand-paul-ebola-111547

https://www.businessinsider.com/rand-paul-anthony-fauci-senate-hearing-argument-video-2020-5

Rand Paul, who isn't a doctor, played up fears of Ebola spreading in 2014 and is now downplaying the threat of covid-19.  A truly "principled" conservative.

Rand Paul is a doctor. He went to Duke for Med School and completed his residency there. 

Whether you feel he is a qualified epidemiologist to challenge Dr. Fauci is a separate issue, but he is more qualified than most to challenge on the matter.  However, at the same time his opinion is still just that, an opinion, just like yours, mine and Dr. Fauci's. Everyone is doing their best and there are so many unknowns out there. It is certainly reasonable for people to question. It leads to better science down the line.

6 minutes ago, Brutus_buckeye said:

Rand Paul is a doctor. He went to Duke for Med School and completed his residency there. 

Whether you feel he is a qualified epidemiologist to challenge Dr. Fauci is a separate issue, but he is more qualified than most to challenge on the matter. 

Meh, I'd wish you'd use that same logic (qualifications) when speaking about cum laude international relations & economics Boston University graduate Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.

Seems inconsistent. 

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

16 minutes ago, Brutus_buckeye said:

Whether you feel he is a qualified epidemiologist to challenge Dr. Fauci is a separate issue, but he is more qualified than most to challenge on the matter.  However, at the same time his opinion is still just that, an opinion, just like yours, mine and Dr. Fauci's. Everyone is doing their best and there are so many unknowns out there. It is certainly reasonable for people to question. It leads to better science down the line.

I agree that he is qualified to make an opinion just like anyone is. That said, the right is making this hugely vague talking point that makes absolute no sense:

1.) Rand Paul advised "The disease has been benign in Kentucky." Well I would ask in terms of what, the number of cases? In that term that is true and why is that? Because of mitigation? The CFR is not benign and not out of line with all the rest of the states if you just go by that measure. So, pretty much starting off with hugely false logic.

2.) He accused Dr. Fauci of being the "end all" or something that Dr. Fauci claimed he was though, he hasn't been the "end all" on any one thing. Dr. Paul can go talk to any Dr. and make decisions from any one of them. The WH in fact hasn't done Jack squat in terms of this pandemic or followed really any of Dr. Fauci's recommendations to a T, instead giving out very vague information. Last I checked, the Governors weren't getting orders from Dr. Fauci. They are making orders themselves based on the informatoin they are given from their state health director, who makes decisions based off of leading Drs. throughout his or her state, etc.

So, basically, people like Rand Paul are going to sit back and yell about Dr. Fauci when Dr. Fauci hasn't made any decision on his own. If people are mad because he has a ton of influence, then tell your governor to get a new influence or maybe just accept the fact that Dr. Fauci is one of the world's most renowned Doctors and his advice would be just as good as any one others.

Lastly: People need to stop saying that Fauci made decisions based on models. I remember hearing him in early January saying he doesn't trust models and doesn't use them. He said look at what is happening in Italy, China, etc. In China, they were literally welding people into their homes to contain the virus. You don't have to be very smart to know at that point that this is a highly dangerous virus. But, the carnival barkers on 700 WLW and other places are ignorant or realize their audience is not nuanced enough to understand multiple variables coming to the same conclusion no matter how you spin it. 

26 minutes ago, Brutus_buckeye said:

Where is he licensed to practice medicine as a doctor?

Very Stable Genius

33 minutes ago, Brutus_buckeye said:

However, at the same time his opinion is still just that, an opinion, just like yours, mine and Dr. Fauci's. 

The opinion of the head of the NIAID for 36 years certainly carries more weight and legitimacy than a fake ophthalmologist who hasn't been a certified physician in 15 years when it comes to the matter of epidemiology.  Just because someone may have an opinion doesn't mean we need to treat all opinions equally or give them all the same credence.

Like many here have been saying...let's listen to the experts and professionals.  Rand Paul isn't a professional or expert on pandemics.

Very Stable Genius

26 minutes ago, DarkandStormy said:

The opinion of the head of the NIAID for 36 years certainly carries more weight and legitimacy than a fake ophthalmologist who hasn't been a certified physician in 15 years when it comes to the matter of epidemiology.  Just because someone may have an opinion doesn't mean we need to treat all opinions equally or give them all the same credence.

Like many here have been saying...let's listen to the experts and professionals.  Rand Paul isn't a professional or expert on pandemics.

I am sorry, what again makes him a fake doctor? 

And to your point, yes, an epidemiologist opinion would carry more weight that Rand Paul, whose opinion carries more weight than your opinion in one regard. However, the opinion of Dr. Fauci is not beyond reproach and needs to be recognized as just that, an opinion. At the end of the day, Dr. Fauci, like Amy Acton and all the other doctors, (including Rand Paul) are essentially flying blind. Nobody has dealt with this before and everyone's experience is no more than 4 months old at this point battling the disease.  It is fair to admit that Dr. Fauci does not have the answers yet at the same time recognizing that he is also a qualified "expert" on the matter. I dont think Paul would dispute that either. 

But 4 months into it, lets also look at the experts track record. For example, in early April Amy Acton predicted that there would be 8-10k Ohioans per day who would get COVID-19 even with the shutdown. We were not even close to this. Fauci has had many inconsistent statements throughout the last 3 months on the matter. Many of the predictions that he has cited have been wildly incorrect too. This does not mean these individuals do not possess credibility, however, it is also safe to admit that they do not have the answers the public needs right now and everyone is flying blind on this. Trusting everything they say like gospel is a folly too because they dont know either. Questioning from laymen or other individuals is appropriate because everyone is learning more about the disease daily together.  Furthermore, when you have the "expert" on multiple occasions be wrong, it is reasonable to question them before going forward no matter who you are.

1 hour ago, ColDayMan said:

Meh, I'd wish you'd use that same logic (qualifications) when speaking about cum laude international relations & economics Boston University graduate Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.

Seems inconsistent. 

No, because whenever AOC opens her mouth, you can see she barely possesses a basic understanding of economics. If I were Boston U, I would cringe at the econ advice she tries to spout because it put their econ dept in the best light. 

2 hours ago, taestell said:

Speaking of which, we are up to 82,806 American deaths due to Covid-19. Or, 20,701× the number of Americans that were killed in Benghazi.

Obamagate is unmasking. They're bringing back the greatest hits.  I wonder why they dont tout Trump's accomplishments instead...

24 minutes ago, Brutus_buckeye said:

I am sorry, what again makes him a fake doctor? 

Please just answer the question.

1 hour ago, DarkandStormy said:

Where is he licensed to practice medicine as a doctor?

Very Stable Genius

5 minutes ago, DarkandStormy said:

Please just answer the question.

He practiced in Bowling Green before he entered into Congress. 

The fact that he is not currently practicing does not mean he is not a doctor. If his license is inactive, he could easily activate it by paying the fee and registering with the board in KY. 

So what again makes him a fake doctor?

Being inactive does not mean he did not earn the credentials of being a doctor and is not able to resume practice at his choosing. I do not believe he was sanctioned at all by the medical board. 

1 hour ago, Brutus_buckeye said:

No, because whenever AOC opens her mouth, you can see she barely possesses a basic understanding of economics. If I were Boston U, I would cringe at the econ advice she tries to spout because it put their econ dept in the best light. 

Just because you disagree with the branch of economics she follows doesn't mean she doesn't know anything about economics.  If you have a legitimate criticism of her economics positions, state that, not "as soon as she opens her mouth you know she's an idiot."  That's more comparable to playground name-calling than a serious discussion of the issues, despite the fact that it's our President's favorite skillset.