KJP

Coronavirus Pandemic

from NYT:  "And in Ohio, the state health director issued an order barring spectators from a sports festival in Columbus."  I found it was some "Arnold" sporting event.  For those in Columbus who are familiar with this event, do people normally fly in for that or is attended by only local people?  

It's mostly attended by out-of-towners.  And by out-of-towners, I mean 22,000 athletes and 250,000 attendees during a three-day period.

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

10 minutes ago, Pugu said:

from NYT:  "And in Ohio, the state health director issued an order barring spectators from a sports festival in Columbus."  I found it was some "Arnold" sporting event.  For those in Columbus who are familiar with this event, do people normally fly in for that or is attended by only local people?  

The Arnold is attended by over 20,000 athletes from 80 countries.

(And there were multiple articles posted about The Arnold in the Columbus Events thread about it.)

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/trish-regan-says-coronavirus-is-an-impeachment-scam-against-trump-all-over-again-trying-to-demonize-and-destroy-the-president/ 

So speaking of media hysteria, @eastvillagedon ... let me provide an analogy as to why the above is actually damaging... 

So as I've noted on here before, my grandparents both voted Democrat since 1960 and switched to Trump in 2016. Since then, they've really drank the kool-aid, to say the least. They're both still great people, but Fox is their preferred media outlet and they no longer believe anything promoted by "MSM". 

About 15 minutes ago, I had my usual morning phone call with my grandma, who informed me that COVID-19 isn't serious and Democrats want it to be serious to destroy the president. In 2017, my grandma had open heart surgery to replace her aorta. My grandpa was also chiming in that the COVID was overblown. My grandpa is a diabetic who needed radiation last year for skin cancer. Needless to say, they're both more vulnerable than most. 

As I sit here now, typing this, I am shaking angry. Because of Trish Regan's segment last night, they decided to book flights to Atlanta for a five day vacation. "We were thinking about going somewhere but thought the coronavirus was more serious than it is. We both already had the flu this year so what's the difference." I pleaded with both of them, noting the volume of passengers at ATL and their close proximity to so many people at tourist destinations in Georgia. The call ended with them getting angry and telling me they were walking into the store and had to go. 

If my grandparents get sick because people like Trish Regan make it their moral imperative to protect the thin skin of dear leader, I'm probably going to say f*** it and gear up for a life in public office because I'm absolutely done with this crap. I'd rather watch two dense liberals completely butcher a simple math equation in re: Bloomberg's net worth than to see fascist-style propaganda spewed from our media outlets, especially when more than 50% of Fox's target audience is 60+. 

^The Regan opening segment.

We look like the absolute incompetent morons who represent us. No doubt COVID-19 cases much higher, we're just not testing because Dear Leader doesn't want his fees fees to get hurt by bad numbers.

Very Stable Genius

2 minutes ago, DarkandStormy said:

^The Regan opening segment.

We look like the absolute incompetent morons who represent us. No doubt COVID-19 cases much higher, we're just not testing because Dear Leader doesn't want his fees fees to get hurt by bad numbers.

But he's not smart enough to know that knowing the numbers and who is infected is the way to contain this. It's too bad that we are too late to contain this. S. Korea has been more successful due to aggressive testing.  

5 minutes ago, DarkandStormy said:

"Everyone who wants a test can get one."

My neighbor is in her residency at CC in the ER.

She said her managing physician informed her that they will be receiving less tests now than previously requested. The reason - "We already know the virus is in Cleveland, so we can focus elsewhere." 

11 minutes ago, YABO713 said:

My neighbor is in her residency at CC in the ER.

She said her managing physician informed her that they will be receiving less tests now than previously requested. The reason - "We already know the virus is in Cleveland, so we can focus elsewhere." 

WTAF

How can we be so unprepared for this?

I know - The GOP runs on the fact that government is ineffective. They take office and prove it. Is the federal government small enough now?

I was down at Liberty State Park in Jersey City, NJ yesterday and it was weird seeing the park so empty for such a warm evening. It was also odd to see the ferries running back from Manhattan half-full of nearly empty. Traffic along the NJ Turnpike and I-78 was also a lot lighter in rush hour and some stores were pretty sparsely populated.

It seems the government just wants this to die out as the weather gets warmer. It does seem the local governments are doing a good job where they can and are able to.

I am nervous about bad outbreaks happening not only in the nursing homes but in densely populated, poorer areas, like areas of NYC or New Jersey, Philadelphia, etc. I hope that doesn't happen...

46 minutes ago, freefourur said:

WTAF

How can we be so unprepared for this?

I know - The GOP runs on the fact that government is ineffective. They take office and prove it. Is the federal government small enough now?

The only thing that implies to me is that once they have identified it in an area, they don't want more tests available - which could potentially drive up the numbers

As of this morning, there are 764 confirmed cases in the US. There is undoubtedly significantly more.  There are only 77 testing locations in all of the Us. Certain areas have to administer tests, get them couriered to said locations (could be hours away) and even multiple states away and await results of tests. Listening to local radio idiot “experts” talk about this virus is hilarious. The only people we should be listening to is the CDC and the WHO, who then inform government officials (unless your government official is a lying , self serving clown who wants to spin a narrative).  This thing can literally double in a day if we had the resources to identify it.  That’s the bad news.  He good news is it’s surface lifespan is only about a half day. So if people are aware and are adhering to quarantine efforts and being AWARE of what they are touching and doing in public.  This can be contained while the vaccine is created

What's crazy to me is how busy Chicago was over the weekend and currently. The streets, trains/buses, restaurants/retail shops, buildings - everyone is scared and taking precautions, but outside of conventions (and I'm guessing concerts) cancellations, things are very normal.

That said, after today, I'll have 3 months of supplies. Food and alcohol delivery are godsends.

Edited by TBideon

1 minute ago, BelievelandD1 said:

As of this morning, there are 764 confirmed cases in the US. There is undoubtedly significantly more.  There are only 77 testing locations in all of the Us. Certain areas have to administer tests, get them couriered to said locations (could be hours away) and even multiple states away and await results of tests. Listening to local radio idiot “experts” talk about this virus is hilarious. The only people we should be listening to is the CDC and the WHO, who then inform government officials (unless your government official is a lying , self serving clown who wants to spin a narrative).  This thing can literally double in a day if we had the resources to identify it.  That’s the bad news.  He good news is it’s surface lifespan is only about a half day. So if people are aware and are adhering to quarantine efforts and being AWARE of what they are touching and doing in public.  This can be contained while the vaccine is created

We have only tested 5 of every 1,000,000 citizens. The next closest developed country is Australia at 33, and yesterday they began instituting drive-through testing. 

I'm seriously freaking out. My parents are over 60 and flying in THROUGH Atlanta airport from Florida on March 21st. I almost threw up last night with worry.

Just now, Zyrokai said:

I'm seriously freaking out. My parents are over 60 and flying in THROUGH Atlanta airport from Florida on March 21st. I almost threw up last night with worry.

Tell them to purchase chlorox  wipes, wipe down the surfaces on the plane throughly.  The airlines are already stepping up their game and enhancing cleaning, but double down on it. Be aware of the people around them and what they are touching. Airports are absolutely despicable but if they notice the behavior of other people, they can be just fine. If you see someone coughing, walk the hell away from them.

11 minutes ago, BelievelandD1 said:

Tell them to purchase chlorox  wipes, wipe down the surfaces on the plane throughly.  The airlines are already stepping up their game and enhancing cleaning, but double down on it. Be aware of the people around them and what they are touching. Airports are absolutely despicable but if they notice the behavior of other people, they can be just fine. If you see someone coughing, walk the hell away from them.

1 minute ago, DarkandStormy said:

Ohio State has cancelled all face-to-face classes through March 30th.

I definitely had them taking precautions already. Not touching anything, hand sanitize constantly, wipe down the area of their seats, etc. 

What worries me the most, other than being over 60, is that while they aren't in BAD health, they aren't in terrific health and my mom has diabetes which is one of the major risk factors along with heart disease, which my dad technically has since he had a heart attack about 12 years ago (has a stent in his heart now)

14 minutes ago, Zyrokai said:

12 minutes ago, BelievelandD1 said:

So when I flew a week and a half ago, a buddy of mine brought some Clorox wipes and we wiped down surfaces (tray tables, arm rests, etc.) when we got on.  But we're also healthy and not supposedly in danger with any underlying conditions (though the med student who is 32 in NJ seems to be struggling).  Other than that, bring hand sanitzer for the plane in a travel size and then immediately wash hands when you de-plane.  Don't touch your face!

As for lack of tests...I'm not an expert here so I don't know the right answer...but I'm in good health and supposedly if I develop symptoms (2-14 days out -> I'm only a week back from the airport that had someone come through test positive) they are likely to be mild.  I haven't self-quarantined, but as I detailed last week I was on a mountain and went through an airport that have confirmed someone has tested positive while I was there or right before.  I know statistically the odds that I have it are very low, but seems like, I don't know, I should be able to go to a drive-through clinic to get tested.  Not for me but to be sure I'm not out here infecting other places.  This is likely panic/hysteria talking, but also seems like basic procedure.

Very Stable Genius

I work with a bunch of dumb guys who buy scratch off tickets and rims.  They have basically zero awareness that any of this is going on. 

One of the guys seriously cannot keep his tongue in his mouth (he looks like one of those dogs at the pound whose tongue is always hanging out) and was coughing all over the place yesterday, I was about to walk out of the place. 

Im more concerned about humans than i am the virus.  The more years i tack on, the more im absolutely disgusted with human beings as a whole and their behaviors.

For those posters and lurkers who buy into Trish Regan's opinion on this - that coronavirus coverage is hysteria drummed up by the Dems and media to..."impeach" Trump again - here is what a lot of people mean when they criticize Trump/this Administration for its handling.

https://apnews.com/921ad7f1f08d7634bf681ba785faf269

The White House overruled health officials who wanted to recommend that elderly and physically fragile Americans be advised not to fly on commercial airlines because of the new coronavirus, a federal official told The Associated Press.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention submitted the plan as a way of trying to control the virus, but White House officials ordered the air travel recommendation be removed, said the official who had direct knowledge of the plan. Trump administration officials have since suggested certain people should consider not traveling, but have stopped short of the stronger guidance sought by the CDC.

This is a theme with Republicans.  They either ignore or think they know better than scientists or other experts in a field.  Why is the White House overruling the CDC on travel recommendations?  (Hint: it's the economy, stupid.)

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/08/health-officials-coronavirus-elderly-sick-risk-123889

The government's top infectious disease expert on Sunday said that the coronavirus outbreak is getting worse and warned elderly and sick people to avoid traveling or circulating in crowds — a point later reinforced by new CDC guidance.

The remarks from Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, signaled a change in tone from health officials representing the Trump administration, making it clear that the outbreak is past the point where it can be prevented from spreading or easily tracked. That contrasted with the more measured language from some Trump officials including Vice President Mike Pence.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/06/health/coronavirus-older-people-social-distancing/index.html

Amid a coronavirus outbreak in the United States, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is encouraging older people and people with severe chronic medical conditions to "stay at home as much as possible."

This advice is on a CDC website that was posted Thursday, according to a CDC spokeswoman.

Early data suggests older people are twice as likely to have serious illness from the novel coronavirus, according to the CDC.

A Trump administration official tells CNN that the US Department of Health and Human Services "is in the process of doing targeted outreach to the elderly community and those that have serious underlying health conditions."

Why are Trump and Pence reluctant or unwilling to reiterate the guidelines and recommendations given by the CDC?  This is wildly irresponsible and dangerous.  They are giving conflicting guidelines and guess whose words are going to get more airtime on Fox News?  It's not the CDC.

But these issues (and others raised previously in this thread) are largely short-term, for now at least.  Trump's words and Pence's words are likely to put thousands at risk.  Trump supporters are being interviewed and are parroting Fox News anchors' words that COVID-19 is a Democratic hoax.  Trump is continuing to hold rallies with however many people.  He got off Air Force One yesterday and shook hands - so much for following protocol.  Then again, this is the moron who looked at the eclipse without protection.  So in the short term, Trump isn't taking this with the seriousness that the leader of the country should.  And his words are putting many people at risk, probably increasing the likelihood of infection because many of his supporters will not heed the CDC's warning and advice.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/immigration/article241046076.html

Immigration court staff nationwide were ordered by the Trump administration to take down all coronavirus posters from courtrooms and waiting areas.

The Executive Office for Immigration Review, which falls under the Department of Justice, told all judges and staff members in an email Monday that all coronavirus posters, which explain in English and Spanish how to prevent catching and spreading the virus, had to be removed immediately.

The Trump Administration doesn't even want posters up detailing coronavirus and how to prevent its spread in immigration court.  Utterly reprehensible and there is no valid reason for this order.

As I was saying, this is all, mostly, short-term.  There are some longer term implications.

https://www.mediamatters.org/coronavirus-covid-19/covering-trumps-coronavirus-response-major-newspapers-barely-mention-he-fired

Five major American newspapers -- The New York Times, The Washington Post, The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, and Los Angeles Times -- have largely ignored President Donald Trump’s firing of “the government’s entire pandemic response chain of command” in 2018 in their print coverage of his administration’s response to the novel coronavirus outbreak over the past two weeks.

Following the 2014 Ebola outbreak in West Africa, the Obama administration “set up a permanent epidemic monitoring and command group” at the Department of Homeland Security and another at the National Security Council to coordinate policies among key federal agencies and respond to potential global pandemics. But as Foreign Policy explained, Trump got rid of them:

In May 2018, Trump ordered the NSC’s entire global health security unit shut down, calling for reassignment of Rear Adm. Timothy Ziemer and dissolution of his team inside the agency. The month before, then-White House National Security Advisor John Bolton pressured Ziemer’s DHS counterpart, Tom Bossert, to resign along with his team. Neither the NSC nor DHS epidemic teams have been replaced.  The global health section of the CDC was so drastically cut in 2018 that much of its staff was laid off and the number of countries it was working in was reduced from 49 to merely 10.

Obama set up a thing to help prevent the spread of global pandemics.  Because Obama did it, Trump reversed it.  That has helped, in part, to lead us to where we are now but it also leaves us especially vulnerable if any future coronaviruses break out, and they will.  Bird flu, swine flu, SARS, MERS - all are various coronavirus strains.  Our government is woefully unequipped to deal with this crisis because Trump shut down the teams Obama set up to deal with these things.  And on top of that, Trump wants to cut funding for the CDC even further.

Trump’s latest budget proposal contains $3 billion in cuts to global health funds, including half of the U.S.’s annual funding to the World Health Organization. Trump’s budget also calls for a 10% cut to the CDC’s funding. And though Trump is set to ask Congress for emergency funds to fight the novel coronavirus outbreak -- after weeks of failing to do so -- some public health officials say he won’t ask for enough to do the job.

Other problems with Trump’s handling of the COVID-19 outbreak include the initial decision to leave all those American passengers on the cruise ship for two weeks, which an infectious disease expert called “one of the cruelest human experiments I've seen in my entire career.” Sen. Kamala Harris (D-CA) said that Trump administration officials failed to attend a Homeland Security committee meeting about the deadly disease, and Trump seemingly succumbed to political pressure to change the administration’s plan to quarantine some of the infected cruise ship passengers at a former Army base in Alabama.

This is what happens when you put a PR-obsessed TV "celebrity" conspiracy theorist in charge of the federal government.  There are short-term implications that are bad - slow to take action, contradicting health officials at the same presser which dilutes the message to the American people, leaving passengers on a cruise ship for two weeks, trying to play down testing so the "numbers don't look bad," etc.  But we are woefully unprepared right now because Trump fired the epidemic teams less than two years ago - teams that were specifically set up for instances like this one.  And Trump wants to cut funding to the CDC and WHO - organizations that are vital to containing the spread of pandemics like the current coronavirus.

Very Stable Genius

23 minutes ago, GCrites80s said:

^Luckily, guys like that tend to not travel much

Unless they're buying a 2008 Tahoe from their cousin's cousin in Maryland. 

9 minutes ago, jmecklenborg said:

Unless they're buying a 2008 Tahoe from their cousin's cousin in Maryland. 

"This is just like the one Dog the Bounty Hunter drove!"

So is this coronavirus a thing then?

@MrGeorgeWallace: Quick, let's all move to Cleveland. Even Coronavirus ain't gonna go to Cleveland. #Cleveland

19 hours ago, eastvillagedon said:

well, it sounds like the public radio station in your city is a little more fair & balanced than New York. Here they present things in that typically  NPR "serious" pseudo-evenhanded tone as if you're going to hear from all sides on a particular issue, then invariably have on a "conservative" voice who's a (surprise!) never-Trumper. I do love when the morning host (Brian Lehrer, a New Yorker who btw went to Ohio State for journalism grad school) gets seriously challenged by a caller. His voice then slightly rises and his "professional" tone seems to disappear for only a few tense seconds lol. 

Off topic, but WNYC is one of the best news sources in the entire country. Top notch reporting. And Brian Lehrer is extremely well-respected. If they have a bias there, it is towards truth.

I’d be kind of shocked if Cleveland’s St Patrick Day parade still happens. You have to think the case numbers in Ohio are going to continue to climb.

1 hour ago, audidave said:

So is this coronavirus a thing then?

@MrGeorgeWallace: Quick, let's all move to Cleveland. Even Coronavirus ain't gonna go to Cleveland. #Cleveland

I’m surprised people (especially professional comedians) still make those jokes. It’s kind of embarrassing for them because it’s so unoriginal. I could find that joke 40 years ago. 

Tucker Carlson: The coronavirus will get worse -- our leaders need to stop lying about that

The ******* coronavirus epidemic turns out to be just that -- an epidemic. There's no denying that now.

According to the official count, this country has recorded more than 500 cases of the virus and suffered at least 24 deaths. The real number is without question far higher than that; soon we will have a better sense of just how much higher.

None of our leaders helped us to take it seriously. On the left, you've heard them tell you that the real worry is that you might use the wrong word to describe what's happening to the country. It's racist, they are telling you, to blame the most racist nation in the world for the spread of this virus. Right.

Meanwhile, if we are being honest, the other side has not been especially helpful, either. People you trust, people you probably voted for, have spent weeks minimizing what is clearly a very serious problem. It's just partisan politics, they say. Calm down. In the end, this is just like the flu and people die from that every year. Coronavirus will pass, and when it does, we will feel foolish for worrying about it. That's their position. [...]

But they're wrong. The ******* coronavirus is a major event. It will affect your life. And by the way, it's definitely not just the flu.

(I censored Carlson's racist description of COVID-19 and added the bolding.)

Over the weekend I ran out of or was low on paper towels, hand soap, and hand sanitizer. The shelves at several stores we nearly completely empty. This was just an everyday purchase not related to the virus. It took three stores to find paper towels and hand soap, no sanitizer to be found of course.

chhkjntylil41.jpg

Edited by Florida Guy

39 minutes ago, Enginerd said:

I’d be kind of shocked if Cleveland’s St Patrick Day parade still happens. You have to think the case numbers in Ohio are going to continue to climb.

They will but without tests, its hard to say how many people have it. Because there's few tests available, there's a very small subset of people that are getting tested. You have to fit a certain profile. If you don't fit that profile, you are never tested and are instead labeled as having pneumonia. 

What I do not understand is, are we not taking it seriously right now?  For all of those that claim we are minimizing it, are they not going to work, stores, keeping their kids from school, not going to gyms, restaurants, etc?  Are they locked up in their homes?   I've listened to the CDC who has repeatedly said to not wear masks, continue on with our lives and follow typical hygiene patterns that we would typically follow if we wanted to stay healthy.  I'm so confused. 

7 minutes ago, Jenny said:

What I do not understand is, are we not taking it seriously right now?  For all of those that claim we are minimizing it, are they not going to work, stores, keeping their kids from school, not going to gyms, restaurants, etc?  Are they locked up in their homes?   I've listened to the CDC who has repeatedly said to not wear masks, continue on with our lives and follow typical hygiene patterns that we would typically follow if we wanted to stay healthy.  I'm so confused. 

People minimize it by comparing it to the flu. The number one issue with this will be hospital overcrowding. Hospitals are filled to capacity with influenza patients all the time. What happens when the hospitals are overwhelmed? People with other conditions will not be treated. Serious COVID patients tend to be in the hospital for a very long time. They use ventilators, etc. Most hospitals will not be able to handle that. Not to mention its effects of staffing. 

I also can't stress the errors that this country is making when it comes to testing. With flu every suspected case is tested. That's not the case with COVID. Because of this, people can be spreading this like wildfire. It spreads easier and is harder to diagnose. You can't diagnose it when there's no test. My wife is a physician and is sending patients away with pneumonia. Some seemed to fit the COVID profile but because they hadn't traveled to certain places, no test was ever administered. For all she knows, many of these patients might have had COVID especially since we know it is in Ohio. But she can't test for it. How ridiculous is that? And that's happening across the country. 

11 minutes ago, Mwd711 said:

People minimize it by comparing it to the flu. The number one issue with this will be hospital overcrowding. Hospitals are filled to capacity with influenza patients all the time. What happens when the hospitals are overwhelmed? People with other conditions will not be treated. Serious COVID patients tend to be in the hospital for a very long time. They use ventilators, etc. Most hospitals will not be able to handle that. Not to mention its effects of staffing. 

I also can't stress the errors that this country is making when it comes to testing. With flu every suspected case is tested. That's not the case with COVID. Because of this, people can be spreading this like wildfire. It spreads easier and is harder to diagnose. You can't diagnose it when there's no test. My wife is a physician and is sending patients away with pneumonia. Some seemed to fit the COVID profile but because they hadn't traveled to certain places, no test was ever administered. For all she knows, many of these patients might have had COVID especially since we know it is in Ohio. But she can't test for it. How ridiculous is that? And that's happening across the country. 

I assume they are trying to limit test kits being there is a shortage. 

13 minutes ago, Mwd711 said:

At this point, the lack of testing is intentional.  Trump and his administration do not want the numbers to go up, so they're actively sabotaging testing ability.  

Um, hell no......Instead, provide federal aid to kids in school lunch programs who won't get fed if their schools close.

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

27 minutes ago, Jenny said:

This post is confusing.  The CDC only recommends staying home if you're sick. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/prevention-treatment.html

The social distancing, staying at home, etc. is also only recommended for those over 60 and anyone with chronic medical conditions because the virus is now spreading throughout the country.

For everyone else, yeah, they've recommended washing your hands often (and for 20-30 seconds), avoiding touching your face, avoiding close contact with people, especially those who are sick since we are woefully undertesting for COVID-19, and putting distance between yourself and other people if the virus is confirmed in your area.

I'm not really sure what's confusing about the CDC guidelines?

Very Stable Genius

Cases in the US are now at 807 with 28 deaths.  France, Germany, Spain and the US are probably a week or so from Italy's numbers, and several others are right behind them.  Half a dozen other countries and areas are reporting first cases.  

15 minutes ago, DarkandStormy said:

This post is confusing.  The CDC only recommends staying home if you're sick. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/prevention-treatment.html

The social distancing, staying at home, etc. is also only recommended for those over 60 and anyone with chronic medical conditions because the virus is now spreading throughout the country.

For everyone else, yeah, they've recommended washing your hands often (and for 20-30 seconds), avoiding touching your face, avoiding close contact with people, especially those who are sick since we are woefully undertesting for COVID-19, and putting distance between yourself and other people if the virus is confirmed in your area.

I'm not really sure what's confusing about the CDC guidelines?

I think she's questioning the "we're not taking it seriously" critique, not saying the CDC guidance is confusing.

7 minutes ago, StapHanger said:

I think she's questioning the "we're not taking it seriously" critique, not saying the CDC guidance is confusing.

Ah, a misread on my part.

Very Stable Genius

1 hour ago, Florida Guy said:

Over the weekend I ran out of or was low on paper towels, hand soap, and hand sanitizer. The shelves at several stores we nearly completely empty. This was just an everyday purchase not related to the virus. It took three stores to find paper towels and hand soap, no sanitizer to be found of course.

chhkjntylil41.jpg

I love this sign. I know someone who did this! Although she did also buy tons of food so she will have enough to eat lol

strange that even Trump-hating ultra-liberal California governor Gavin Newsom can praise Trump for his coronavirus response. From reading the comments on this thread I thought he was doing such crappy job🤔

1 hour ago, Jenny said:

this is a good aritcle about how the hysteria over coronavirus is decimating the economy of New York's Chinatown. I imagine this is happening in Chinatowns in other cities and restaurants even in suburbs

"Now, with gentrification already under way, the COVID-19 panic and the xenophobia it has engendered may very well spell the end of Chinatown as we know it. Family businesses that were already hanging by a thread could be wiped out. Hoy Wong may be the shape of things to come. Since the epidemic in far-off Hubei province hit the headlines, business in Chinatown has dropped between 40 and 80 percent. Patronage by locals has collapsed and China’s travel ban has virtually destroyed Chinese tourism. To put things in perspective, this year in the United States, millions of people have been sickened by the seasonal flu, and thousands have died and yet businesses remained unaffected. In contrast, the coronavirus panic has led to a severe loss of customers in Chinatown’s shops and restaurants. How long can any business sustain such a steep drop in income?"

3 minutes ago, eastvillagedon said:

this is a good aritcle about how the hysteria over coronavirus is decimating the economy of New York's Chinatown. I imagine this is happening in Chinatowns in other cities and restaurants even in suburbs

"Now, with gentrification already under way, the COVID-19 panic and the xenophobia it has engendered may very well spell the end of Chinatown as we know it. Family businesses that were already hanging by a thread could be wiped out. Hoy Wong may be the shape of things to come. Since the epidemic in far-off Hubei province hit the headlines, business in Chinatown has dropped between 40 and 80 percent. Patronage by locals has collapsed and China’s travel ban has virtually destroyed Chinese tourism. To put things in perspective, this year in the United States, millions of people have been sickened by the seasonal flu, and thousands have died and yet businesses remained unaffected. In contrast, the coronavirus panic has led to a severe loss of customers in Chinatown’s shops and restaurants. How long can any business sustain such a steep drop in income?"

Yeah really sad that racism fueled misconceptions can do this. 

I purposely went to LJ Shanghai on Friday because I'd hear Asiatown Cleveland had been hard hit

The MAC tournament is cancelled, just about every college cancelled classes. I actually applaud DeWine and his handling of this.  He has taken an informed, thorough and proactive approach with his recommendations.  The dumb people will compared it to the flu, but it’s not under control like the flu generally is. The flu is nasty but there is finite damage the flu can do.  Covid is really not under control at all. Without any precaution it could get bad. Look at Italy, it’s a 6% mortality rate.