KJP

Coronavirus Pandemic

I think the main thing on all this is now we are trying to contain the virus as much as possible until a vaccine can be made which will reduce the deaths and dangerous reactions.

Since that is probably a year to 18 months away it's going to be a rough go of it for awhile. Hopefully as the weather turns there is less spread considering more people will spend time outdoors vs indoors. You can still expect it to spread in certain communities though. You have to think it will be most dangerous in poor communities / communities with low health insurance / high density cities like we are seeing already in the USA.

If two idiot Congressmen can get paid while under self quarantine there's no excuse for Congress not to pass a paid sick leave policy for coronavirus. None.

Very Stable Genius

Honestly, even when it inevitably gets to Ohio, this is one of those moments I'm so glad I live here and not a coastal city

11 minutes ago, taestell said:

Meanwhile, trading had to be suspended 15 minutes when the Dow opened 2,000 points down.  

50 minutes ago, IAGuy39 said:

I think the main thing on all this is now we are trying to contain the virus as much as possible until a vaccine can be made which will reduce the deaths and dangerous reactions.

Since that is probably a year to 18 months away it's going to be a rough go of it for awhile. Hopefully as the weather turns there is less spread considering more people will spend time outdoors vs indoors. You can still expect it to spread in certain communities though. You have to think it will be most dangerous in poor communities / communities with low health insurance / high density cities like we are seeing already in the USA.

I have heard that warmer weather/more humid weather will bring relief... we'll see.

So if this ends up turning all of us into low level germaphobes, that will probably be a good thing.

Edited by skiwest

20 minutes ago, skiwest said:

So if this ends up turning all of us into low level germaphobes, that will probably be a good thing.

Glass half full

I heard some talking points like what Trump is saying but here is the thing:

If you let people move around, etc. like what is happening now, there would be way more deaths than the flu. Maybe once they get anti-viral medication or a vaccine it will turn out closer to the flu but that isn't the case right now.

'

I heard something from an epidemiologist in the UK that in Wuhan normal flu in that city would kill around 1500 people a year (that's with everyone free flowing and no changes, etc.). With Covid-19 SARS that was over 3,000 people in a matter of a month with everything completely shut down. 

If Coronavirus turns out to be "nothing", it's because the precautions that people are taking are actually working -- avoiding/cancelling large events, telecommuting, being more disciplined about washing hands and not touching your face, sanitizing kitchen and bathroom surfaces, etc. Saying that "it's not that bad" and "we are overreacting" is circular logic. If we weren't taking these measures, there would certainly be more people exposed, more people infected, and more deaths. If it ends up being fairly minor, it's probably because we reacted appropriately and slowed its spread.

So far, no one seems to be panicked about it in Cincinnati. I went to two different Kroger stores in the past few days and it was totally normal -- not jam packed full of people buying all the milk and bread like we typically do before every snowstorm. I have personally seen no evidence of this "Coronavirus panic" that Elon Musk tweeted about.

2 minutes ago, taestell said:

If Coronavirus turns out to be "nothing", it's because the precautions that people are taking are actually working -- avoiding/cancelling large events, telecommuting, being more disciplined about washing hands and not touching your face, sanitizing kitchen and bathroom surfaces, etc. Saying that "it's not that bad" and "we are overreacting" is circular logic. If we weren't taking these measures, there would certainly be more people exposed, more people infected, and more deaths. If it ends up being fairly minor, it's probably because we reacted appropriately and slowed its spread.

So far, no one seems to be panicked about it in Cincinnati. I went to two different Kroger stores in the past few days and it was totally normal -- not jam packed full of people buying all the milk and bread like we typically do before every snowstorm. I have personally seen no evidence of this "Coronavirus panic" that Elon Musk tweeted about.

Ohio is benefiting from the things we oft complain about in this situation. We don't have a MASSIVE airport, we don't have rail travel, we generally under utilize public transportation, we don't have a coastal port of entry, and only the three c's are densely populated in any significant sense

^I agree on all this.

I also think there has to be some cases in Ohio right now. They are saying no cases so far, I doubt that is the case. I don't think they are withholding details or lack of testing. Maybe they have some presumptive positives they aren't talking about to the media yet until it's tested through the CDC, but I definitely think we are about to get some numbers coming our way in Ohio.

Also when you think how easily you can get the flu, to me that is the scary part. Maybe it won't be this year, but next year it could be even worse, and you better hope there is the vaccine by then.

We are not panicked at all. We have stocked up on non-perishables and paper goods but not excessively.  you never know if there'll be a quarantine so it doesn't hurt to be prepared.  

2.5 months supply of non-perishables and tolietries here. Do need a backup can opener though.

6 minutes ago, eastvillagedon said:

The news media in this country is an absolute disgrace

...he said while coughing in line to once again vote for an administration that gutted the CDC and doesn't trust scientists. 

Just now, eastvillagedon said:

that's no excuse for the media to create mass hysteria with its irresponsible "sky is falling" coverage. But I understand, they have an agenda.

What agenda is that? Getting people to wash their hands so all the big soap companies can profit? Thanks for revealing that, Ken M!

1 hour ago, YABO713 said:

Ohio is benefiting from the things we oft complain about in this situation. We don't have a MASSIVE airport, we don't have rail travel, we generally under utilize public transportation, we don't have a coastal port of entry, and only the three c's are densely populated in any significant sense

Density is relative.  Ohio is has a top 10 density of all states.  We're also seeing it now in places that are not highly populated.

13 minutes ago, eastvillagedon said:

What specifically is your issue with the coverage?

3 minutes ago, eastvillagedon said:

that's no excuse for the media to create mass hysteria with its irresponsible "sky is falling" coverage. But I understand, they have an agenda.

I'm comfortable saying that there will be far more than 20K deaths in the US before this is over, provided no vaccine emerges.  People like yourself who don't take it seriously are going to be primary spreaders.  Enjoy the Trump rally.

14 minutes ago, eastvillagedon said:

deaths in US from coronavirus so far:             22  

deaths in US from seasonal flu so far:     20,000

We get it, the coronavirus is making your cult leader look bad.  If you stepped away and looked at the facts, you'd see why this post is absolutely asinine, though.

Very Stable Genius

26 minutes ago, taestell said:

What specifically is your issue with the coverage?

Uhh, it lacks perspective? Okay, I don't know what's going on in Ohio, but in New York, every time someone is even suspected of having the virus it's reported with a state of urgency like a nuke is about to go off in Times Square. It's absolutely ridiculous. The general public then panics and takes this as a cue that they're not taking sufficient precautions to protect themselves. Case in point: a student at Columbia was quarantined and tested for coronavirus as a result of exposure to someone with it. It turns out that the student did not have it, but that didn't stop the university from cancelling classes, disrupting the lives of thousands of people for, well, basically nothing. This is happening all over. There's a difference between being cautious and having a healthy fear of something like this, and fueling panic through sensational reporting. What's worse is the way certain politicians (and we all know who they are) are joining in the fray to score points. It's almost like they want people to die in order to gain (or regain) power. 

Edited by eastvillagedon

17 minutes ago, eastvillagedon said:

Uhh, it lacks perspective? Okay, I don't know what's going on in Ohio, but in New York, every time someone is even suspected of having the virus it's reported with a state of urgency like a nuke is about to go off in Times Square. It's absolutely ridiculous. The general public then panics and takes this as a cue that they're not taking sufficient precautions to protect themselves. Case in point: a student at Columbia was quarantined and tested for coronavirus as a result of exposure to someone with it. It turns out that the student did not have it, but that didn't stop the university from cancelling classes, disrupting the lives of thousands of people for, well, basically nothing. This is happening all over. There's a difference between being cautious and having a healthy fear of something like this, and fueling panic through sensational reporting. What's worse is the way certain politicians (and we all know who they are) are joining in the fray to score points. It's almost like they want people to die in order to gain (or regain) power. 

It's almost as bad as a certain politician saying that it is contained or will be gone soon.  And only cares about how it makes him look rather that the safety of the people he leads. 

Case in point - we shouldn't let people off a cruise ship because it will make our numbers look bad.  No empathy for the people at all just the "numbers"

Edited by freefourur

Depends on what media outlets you're talking about, I guess. I would never trust 24/7 cable news networks (or any television news for that matter) to cover any issue like this correctly. However, most newspaper articles and public radio stories I have read or listened to have been fair and balanced, not telling people to panic but to take basic precautions to stay safe, keep a little extra food and supplies on hand at home, etc.

As for cancelling classes -- I'm not sure how you can connect that to any political agenda. Many countries around the world are closing schools and cancelling big events to reduce the spread of this virus. I don't think Dublin, Ireland got a call from Nancy Pelosi demanding that they cancel St. Patrick's Day -- they made the decision on their own. The tech companies made the decision to cancel their big conferences this year because they know it would be a major PR disaster if an outbreak happened on their watch -- and it would probably open them up to lawsuits from attendees. Again, it is impossible to predict how bad it's going to be, but what's the real harm in taking a "better safe than sorry" approach and minimizing non-essential travel and big gatherings until the scientists know more?

The travel ban did nothing to stop the spread.  And it also seems like the only thing he's done except lie about it. 

Cuyahoga County Board of Health Commissioner Terry Allan said the three patients, who are ages 54 to 56, are isolated. Two of them were on a trip to Egypt and one was at a conference in Washington D.C. Six additional people who had close contact are also on home quarantine.

https://fox8.com/news/coronavirus/three-ohioans-test-positive-for-coronavirus/

17 minutes ago, taestell said:

Depends on what media outlets you're talking about, I guess. I would never trust 24/7 cable news networks (or any television news for that matter) to cover any issue like this correctly. However, most newspaper articles and public radio stories I have read or listened to have been fair and balanced, not telling people to panic but to take basic precautions to stay safe, keep a little extra food and supplies on hand at home, etc.

As for cancelling classes -- I'm not sure how you can connect that to any political agenda. Many countries around the world are closing schools and cancelling big events to reduce the spread of this virus. I don't think Dublin, Ireland got a call from Nancy Pelosi demanding that they cancel St. Patrick's Day -- they made the decision on their own. The tech companies made the decision to cancel their big conferences this year because they know it would be a major PR disaster if an outbreak happened on their watch -- and it would probably open them up to lawsuits from attendees. Again, it is impossible to predict how bad it's going to be, but what's the real harm in taking a "better safe than sorry" approach and minimizing non-essential travel and big gatherings until the scientists know more?

well, it sounds like the public radio station in your city is a little more fair & balanced than New York. Here they present things in that typically  NPR "serious" pseudo-evenhanded tone as if you're going to hear from all sides on a particular issue, then invariably have on a "conservative" voice who's a (surprise!) never-Trumper. I do love when the morning host (Brian Lehrer, a New Yorker who btw went to Ohio State for journalism grad school) gets seriously challenged by a caller. His voice then slightly rises and his "professional" tone seems to disappear for only a few tense seconds lol. 

Edited by eastvillagedon

The markets drop has a bit to do with Coronavirus. It is mainly the geopolitical games going on with Saudi Arabia and Russia. China is not buying as much oil due to the downturn in their economy from Coronavirus.  With Iran stricken with Coronavirus, Saudi Arabia has decided to put the screws to Iran and hurt their economy even further by pumping more oil onto the market. 
    Khameini just called off his annual new years speech. There is now speculation whether he is ill with the Coronavirus since he has been in meetings with people that have it and have recently died from it.  The parliament has stopped meeting since 10% of MP’s now have the virus. I expect a collapse of society there in the next several months as the uprisings will begin again and there will be much fewer in power.  They are lying about how bad it is in the population just as China did. Their medical systems in various cities are collapsing and it is just getting started in Tehran. 

2 hours ago, eastvillagedon said:

Don, how did the media get Italy to quarantine its entire population? Was it also the media that had a novel virus quadruple in numbers in the US in the last four days (among those able to be tested). 

It's wild to me... literally NO ONE would blame a pandemic on the President. But he and his supporters have such incredibly thin skin about it, that they've projected their insecurity of being blamed for it, and in turn its weakened the country's response. The president will be held accountable for the country's response

7 hours ago, eastvillagedon said:

deaths in US from coronavirus so far:             22  

deaths in US from seasonal flu so far:     20,000

You're comparing an endemic seasonal disease with and emerging epidemic.  If we allow the coronavirus to run free, it will likely infect a massive portion of the American public- 100 million+ people, and it has an estimated 2-3% mortality rate- so 2-3 million deaths is very realistic.