KJP

Coronavirus Pandemic

America, I don't think you're doing this correctly....

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

5 hours ago, KJP said:

The number of deaths is the consistent measurement among all countries. And none are showing the number of fatalities consistent with the worst fears. Yet the fatalities that are occurring among vulnerable populations show there is every reason to use significant precautions to keep the virus away from the vulnerable -- and to give more time to build up medical supplies, treatments, etc.

First of all, what is the agreed-upon worst case?  Second, I'm not sure anyone can comfortably say that we're avoiding worse case when we're barely a few weeks into exponential rise in the majority of countries, including in the US.  Third, articles and opinion pieces like the above are ridiculous.  It assumes that the world freaked the hell out over something incredibly mild, yet didn't for any other recent virus scares.  Why?  I have seen no attempt to explain the vastly different response.  It simply assumes that the entire world was duped in a massive overreaction, and that is a deeply suspicious viewpoint, especially when we have so few facts and are still in the middle of it.  Are hospitals typically overrun in years with average or more severe flu seasons like 2017?  Did temporary morgues have to be set up for fatality rates at 0.1-0.2%?  I must've missed that, so why would they have to be at 0.01%? The ONLY way I can see that being remotely possible is if it's far more contagious than what we think, but yet somehow didn't manage to become widespread until a few weeks ago.  And only now are we seeing it affect hospitals.  We know incubation is on average about 5 days, so if most people have already had it, where were the severe cases before?  Surely there would've been some.  It just doesn't add up.

Edited by jonoh81

21 minutes ago, KJP said:

America, I don't think you're doing this correctly....

Isn't Tokyo train crowding is far worse than NYC's? Or is that old information?

Covid-19's infection impacts appear to be an average between two extremes... virtually no infection impacts on children and young adults but severe infection and health impacts on the elderly with mortality rates of about 15 percent. 

We should perhaps look to Seattle (Kirkland, WA) and NYC. I think everyone can learn alot from their crises and strategies for management.

Edited by Frmr CLEder

1 minute ago, GCrites80s said:

I don't think many are on the trains now.

^^It goes back to SARS epidemic a few years ago.  The Asian nations got hit by that and learned their lessons. They take viruses seriously as all nations should. 
   Most countries were taking the temperature of everyone that got off a plane. That doesn’t obviously find all the positive cases but it will get the most active cases instead of them letting them walk freely in the cities and jump back on a plane again like the US handled it. 

1 hour ago, DarkandStormy said:

Can we finally put to bed the dumb "this is just another flu" talking point?

Apparently not.  Now it's "it's not even as bad as the flu".

What's going on in Michigan?  They're about to surpass California in both number of deaths and number of cases.

19 minutes ago, KJP said:

Of course. But back when the trains were still running at average capacity.

Based on DeWine's tweets yesterday and what some private businesses are saying, it seems like May 1 is being tossed around as the date things could start reopening. Of course, there's a lot that could change between now and then.

1 minute ago, GCrites80s said:

Of course. But back when the trains were still running at average capacity.

Both systems are overcapacity. Some NYC subway trains are difficult to squeeze into at midday. The only thing NYC lacks is Tokyo's platform pushers, even though it could've used them sometimes.

Meanwhile....

23 minutes ago, jonoh81 said:

Apparently not.  Now it's "it's not even as bad as the flu".

Ah yes, flu season...every year, you know, we have doctors and nurses taking to social media pleading for medical supplies because they're running out.

Very Stable Genius

28 minutes ago, KJP said:

From footage that was being shown on CNN earlier today, it looked like there were still a lot of people on trains, but not as crowded. The Cherry Blossoms are blooming and people were packing the parks and streets for that - albeit with masks. I wonder if the work culture over there is forcing people to continue to work as telework is still not a thing in Japan.

No, but some flu seasons are worse than others and I do recall hospitals pleading for help or urging people with less severe symptoms to stay home and not come to the hospital. Ironically, it happened just last fall in Italy and Ukraine where hospitals were swamped with flu cases. I had a personal experience with US hospitals also having a bad Autumn last year as I had the flu (but without a runny nose or sneezing...like COVID-19) that turned to early-stage pneumonia which laid me up for a month. My doctor urged me to take  the medication she prescribed and stay out of the hospital if at all possible because there weren't enough beds or respirators to go around for a wave of pneumonia that was sweeping the area.

BTW, I have to wonder if that flu/pneumonia wave last fall was some some of precursor to COVID-19. 

Edited by KJP

Things continue to be very fluid with so many unknowns. The accumulation of data is a big one.

I continue to be encouraged however by the candor of Drs. Fauci and Birx.

Interesting graphic on the suburban counties of Cleveland. can't copy and paste it for some reason.

Also:  

"Cleveland Hopkins (CLE): --- Cancellations today (3/26): there are 133 flight cancellations for Cleveland Hopkins: 72 flights to Cleveland and 61 Cleveland departures.

United Airlines is suspending LAX-CLE through the end of April. Currently still on the schedule at 2x daily in May."

https://www.centerforcleveland.org/covid-19

Edited by Pugu

1 hour ago, mrnyc said:

it comes that you are a closet globalist.

call me unshocked as well lol.

Closet?  I've always been a free trader.   Who criticized the Trump tariffs on metal harder than me here?

We ship a lot of parts to Mexico for assembly, many of which end up in US cars.

10 minutes ago, KJP said:

BTW, I have to wonder if that flu/pneumonia wave last fall was some some of precursor to COVID-19. 

They can test for the flu and pneumonia.  So, uh, no.

Very Stable Genius

45 minutes ago, GCrites80s said:

Cleanliness?  Both personal and the train interiors?

20 hours ago, jmecklenborg said:

Trust funds are being fueled by companies that make containers for spare parts for GE Aviation and the car companies.   Yes, just the cardboard containers, not the parts themselves.

But the Twitter kings and queens can only think about scooters and Airbnb and credit card points.   

Corrugated.   Never say "cardboard" in that industry.  🙂

Think of it like this:

Consider Italy:

1.) 8,200 deaths

2.) Confined to 1/6th of the country where they have the highest rated healthcare in the country and possibly in all of Europe, right up there

3.) Timeline of 30 days

4.) Severe movement restrictions in place

Now unwind:

1.) Confinement to 1/6th of the country (considering this 6th of the country has the best hospitals and is the richest in the country and one of the richest in the EU, I will still only use a flat rate): 8,200 x 6 = 49,200 deaths

2.) Now, release the extreme movement restrictions, let's just say, that doubles the death toll, even though it probably triples it: 98,400 deaths

3.) Now, increase the days to 60 days from 30 days: 98,400 x 2 = 196,800 deaths

I can guarantee you, these would be SUPER conservative estimates.

5 minutes ago, DarkandStormy said:

They can test for the flu and pneumonia.  So, uh, no.

I didn't say it was COVID-19. 

And as I've been saying, this virus is going to go through the population. Dr. Amy Acton just said 40-70% of us are going to get the virus. It also means we'll be getting immunities.

New Orleans, San Francisco, Miami, Chicago, Boston, DC and Los Angeles are not out of the woods. While most attention is devoted to NYC, those communities have yet to peaked

Edited by Frmr CLEder

10 minutes ago, KJP said:

And as I've been saying, this virus is going to go through the population. Dr. Amy Acton just said 40-70% of us are going to get the virus. It also means we'll be getting immunities.

Not really sure what you're wondering about then.

Very Stable Genius

Wondered if COVID-19 mutated from it.

This is interesting....

13 minutes ago, KJP said:

Thankfully we will all get through this at some point, but anyone over 40 should try to avoid it as humanly as possible.

People even over 40 are getting extremely ill, just be careful, to everyone! This disease is extremely dangerous.

^I also saw something which showed ILI was up over normal at some point last year... but, I don't think it was related to COVID-19. The reason I say this is because this disease is much different than any disease on record in terms of how it presents and the complications it causes, according to doctors.

My wife was telling me today that they are finding it is specifically attacking the lung tissue as well as infecting it and causing pneumonia. It is also causing high levels of cardiac arrest. So, I don't think there would be overlap there (in an earlier ILI in the year), though I could be wrong!

Scientists are fairly certain this coronavirus originated in a bat or bats and was transferred to Pangolins in a wet market in China. That Pangolin then coughed or vomited or bit or something of that nature a human... The virus was mutated enough to easily start transferring from person to person at that point.

14 minutes ago, Frmr CLEder said:

New Orleans, San Francisco, Miami, Chicago, Boston, DC and Los Angeles are not out of the woods. While most attention is devoted to NYC, those communities have yet to peaked

To be clear - it's very likely that NONE of our hot spots have yet to peak. 

Having no job reduces an American's ability to fight the virus...

How many deaths over a year?

As we all know, Seattle (Kirkland,WA) was thrown into the national spotlight but they're still struggling. We haven't heard much since NYC captured the headlines.

Believe it or not, two weeks in and this from the Governor of Washington State.

“We’ve conducted more than 31,000 tests, but we have very significant unmet needs,” said Inslee, calling for “pervasive testing before we can return to normalcy in our state.”

Edited by Frmr CLEder

49 minutes ago, freefourur said:

the russian gangster loan sharks trump is beholden to told him to hire the guy.

2 hours ago, GCrites80s said:

@GCrites80s This might help answer half of your question......

this guy has the vocabulary of maybe a fifth grader. his insecurity, narcissism and adhd are just off the charts. whats the opposite of reassuring?

1 hour ago, KJP said:

But again, for the very low fatality rates to be real, 40%-70% would arguably already have needed to have had it, not going to get it.  We would've seen a dire situation in hospitals weeks ago based on incubation rates.  This is no doubt more widespread than confirmed cases, but I don't think it has been as widespread for as long as some people seem to believe. 

Edited by jonoh81

39 minutes ago, KJP said:

@GCrites80s This might help answer half of your question......

The trains are as integral to the city as the Met, Central Park or Lincoln Center.

When I lived in Manhattan, I had a car because I worked in NJ, but the trains (and cabs) were the fastest and easiest way to get around the city. For many, it is the only method of transportation. I also had a bike for Manhattan, but I couldn't imagine biking from the Upper Westside to Brooklyn or Queens.

That being said, unless the subways and trains are shut down, containment will be elusive.

One of the city's greatest assets is also its greatest weakness.

Edited by Frmr CLEder

EUEVzQoWkAEsn4j?format=jpg&name=large

dementia in action today:

Donald Trump went on a protracted tangent about a Tampa Bay Buccaneers player at a press conference in the midst of the government’s catastrophic failure to respond to the coronavirus.

"Somebody in the fake news said that one of the governors said, ‘Oh, we need Tom Brady.’ He meant that in a positive way. He said ‘We need Tom Brady, and we’re gonna do great,’ and he took it very positively. They took it differently. They think Tom Brady should be leading the effort.

“That’s only fake news, and I like Tom Brady. Spoke to him the other day. He’s a great guy. I wish the news could be real, I wish it could be honest, I wish it weren’t so corrupt. But so much of it is. It’s just so sad to see. We had a great meeting.”

3 hours ago, jonoh81 said:

But again, for the very low fatality rates to be real, 40%-70% would arguably already have needed to have had it, not going to get it.  We would've seen a dire situation in hospitals weeks ago based on incubation rates.  This is no doubt more widespread than confirmed cases, but I don't think it has been as widespread for as long as some people seem to believe. 

My dad works for Ohio Health. They're still seeing way more positives on a standard RVP (influenza, other viruses) than they are for covid-19.

Now everyone who's been sick in the last 2 months suddenly thinks they had coronavirus.  That's likely not the case.  And until we get Ab testing we won't know for sure.

Very Stable Genius