Jump to content
KJP

Coronavirus Pandemic

Recommended Posts

14, 299 US cases,  218 deaths.

 

total World cases approaching 250,000 with over 10,000 deaths.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

 

 

 

 

 

California has finally quarantined(shelter at home with exceptions) so 40 million more under quarantine.

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-03-19-20-intl-hnk

 

Cnn's stuff may be correct but they are presenting it in the most frightening way possible it seems. JMHO.

 

 

 

I hate seeing that there are people in their 40's on ventilators. I am 56 and have a history of getting respiratory infections(the kind that last for a month or more). 2005, 2008, 2013, 2017. -fought respiratory infections for over a month each time. This is scary stuff we are dealing with. I hope they can ramp up the number of ventilators we have, but I doubt there will be either enough time or enough quantity to meet the need. They are already in Italy having to choose who gets a ventilator(and a chance to live) vs who does not(and who will likely die).  What a terrible decision for everyone involved.

 

*and no, I was never a smoker.

Edited by Toddguy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone think that this scare may make Americans adopt bidets or bidet attachments for their toilets? I'm serious. This kind of toilet paper scarcity may make people reconsider the need to constantly purchase the product for the home. It's not expensive on a daily basis but is now subject to scarcity and the costs do add up when viewed at the 10-year level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, freefourur said:

 

 

Jim Inhofe of Oklahoma is also connected to this now.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, GCrites80s said:

Does anyone think that this scare may make Americans adopt bidets or bidet attachments for their toilets? I'm serious. This kind of toilet paper scarcity may make people reconsider the need to constantly purchase the product for the home. It's not expensive on a daily basis but is now subject to scarcity and the costs do add up when viewed at the 10-year level.

If i was really bored, I'd run the present value of TP over the expected life of a bidet to determine if a bidet would be cheaper in the long run...LOL

Edited by freefourur

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A separate bidet install in a bathroom would be far more in an older house than an attachment. In a newer house or new build with large bathrooms and easily accessible plumbing from the basement the cost would be lower. "Options" on a new build can be surprisingly cheap such as 4th bedrooms for under 10K. Check with local code to see if bidets tie into the sewage or gray water.

 

Putting a separate bidet in my house would totally suck since the bathroom is only 6'x10' and the house is on a slab. I'd be stuck with a pedestal sink. I hate those as compared to ones with storage underneath.

Edited by GCrites80s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If a bidet install adds $1200 to the cost of a new build in two bathrooms and a family spends $5 a week on TP without the bidet it will pay itself off in less than 5 years. The bidets are unlikely to add much value to the home when it is sold under current cultural norms, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, GCrites80s said:

Does anyone think that this scare may make Americans adopt bidets or bidet attachments for their toilets? I'm serious. This kind of toilet paper scarcity may make people reconsider the need to constantly purchase the product for the home. It's not expensive on a daily basis but is now subject to scarcity and the costs do add up when viewed at the 10-year level.

 

Ironically, we've had one of the handheld-shower bidets in our house for 2-3 years now because we installed it for my Indian inlaws.  Maybe TMI, but: Unfortunately, it doesn't do as good a job as it needs to.  It maybe reduces toilet paper consumption by half but definitely does not eliminate it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah, but if i am getting a bidet i am going in for a full blown japanese style toilet version with the heated seats and all.

 

those are amazing and once you use them even the first time you will never want to go back to tp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gramarye said:

 

Ironically, we've had one of the handheld-shower bidets in our house for 2-3 years now because we installed it for my Indian inlaws.  Maybe TMI, but: Unfortunately, it doesn't do as good a job as it needs to.  It maybe reduces toilet paper consumption by half but definitely does not eliminate it.

 

I was wondering about the abilities of those.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, freefourur said:

 

I'm sure the AG will get right on it 

 

 

wait, isn't not getting on it a crime as well?

 

geez are we going down a spiral quick here with this republican insanity and trump-backed free for all for corruption.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, GCrites80s said:

 

I was wondering about the abilities of those.

 

I got a bidet last year for medical reasons and it was the best decision I've made. Saves about half of my consumption of toilet paper; is pretty darn cushy (warm and cold); and is hygienic and far better than just using harsh paper and wipes.

 

It still pales to what I've experienced in other nations. I always have wondered why bidets - even aftermarket models, are so hard to find.

 

(My aftermarket warm and cold water bidet was around $60.)

 

--

 

Sidebar to bidets: is there accuracy to the graphic? I've seen this go around.

4C7AAC01-5EDB-4516-8411-64CA75AF5057.jpeg

Edited by seicer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In California there's a good deal of confusion right now about which jobs are considered "essential services," and thus allowed to continue. That being said nobody I know here is freaking out or anything, for which I'm glad, and even somewhat surprised. Governor Newsom gave a really heartfelt speech. I have no issue with the decision of taking the safest approach.  

 

Anyhow you're still allowed to go outside to the park or the beach and exercise, or visit friends. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're keeping track, here are the Senators known publicly to have been dumping stock in the last 4-5 weeks, seemingly more concerned with their own personal profit instead of taking up the Coronavirus Relief Bill:

 

-Richard Burr, who was caught on tape telling donors privately this was going to be bad, comparing it to the 1918 flu pandemic.

-Kelly Loeffler, whose husband is the chairman of the New York Stock Exchange

-Ron Johnson

-Jim Inhofe

 

Why would anyone vote GOP ever again?  It's apparent that people like Mike DeWine and Mitt Romney are a dying breed of the Republican Party.  Constant corruption is the only theme now.


Very Stable Genius

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no vaccine for ignorance....

 

 


"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, DarkandStormy said:

If you're keeping track, here are the Senators known publicly to have been dumping stock in the last 4-5 weeks, seemingly more concerned with their own personal profit instead of taking up the Coronavirus Relief Bill:

 

-Richard Burr, who was caught on tape telling donors privately this was going to be bad, comparing it to the 1918 flu pandemic.

-Kelly Loeffler, whose husband is the chairman of the New York Stock Exchange

-Ron Johnson

-Jim Inhofe

 

Why would anyone vote GOP ever again?  It's apparent that people like Mike DeWine and Mitt Romney are a dying breed of the Republican Party.  Constant corruption is the only theme now.

 

Johnson and Inhofe don't really seem like insider trading. Burr and Loefler seem agregioius. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the kicker for me. Ok, you shouldn't be owning stock as a Congressperson anyway. Selling it from insider knowledge is more reprehensible. But buying new stock in a work-from-home software company is opportunistic and gross.

 

 


"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, DarkandStormy said:

 

Why would anyone vote GOP ever again?  It's apparent that people like Mike DeWine and Mitt Romney are a dying breed of the Republican Party.  Constant corruption is the only theme now.

Because the Democrats are inept and just as corrupt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, freefourur said:

Johnson and Inhofe don't really seem like insider trading. Burr and Loefler seem agregioius. 

 

Johnson's sale was from his family's privately-held company, you're right.  But he did say 3.4% of Americans dying isn't a big deal because it's 10s of thousands of people.

 

Inhofe dumped up to $450k of stock on 1/27, three days after the Senators received a briefing on coronavirus.  Just because it's not in the millions doesn't mean it's not insider-trading.


Very Stable Genius

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Cavalier Attitude said:

Because the Democrats are inept and just as corrupt.

 

Waiting for 3-4 Dem Senators to have used private information to protect their stock gains in a time of crisis.  I'll continue to wait.


Very Stable Genius

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DarkandStormy said:

 

Waiting for 3-4 Dem Senators to have used private information to protect their stock gains in a time of crisis.  I'll continue to wait.

 

but muh both sides...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DarkandStormy said:

 

Johnson's sale was from his family's privately-held company, you're right.  But he did say 3.4% of Americans dying isn't a big deal because it's 10s of thousands of people.

 

Inhofe dumped up to $450k of stock on 1/27, three days after the Senators received a briefing on coronavirus.  Just because it's not in the millions doesn't mean it's not insider-trading.

I was reading some details of this and Feinstein's trades and now I can't find it. The gist is that these may need some further investigation but they don't seem to violate rules like Burr and Loefler.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, seicer said:

 

Sidebar to bidets: is there accuracy to the graphic? I've seen this go around.

4C7AAC01-5EDB-4516-8411-64CA75AF5057.jpeg

 

Not to suggest an external factor, nor to take anything away from DeWine's decisive actions, but if this virus was spreading unseen in February before it was confirmed ... then it's entirely possible that it was present and spreading unseen and unknown on Mardis Gras, February 25, 2020.  That would affect Louisiana considerably more (especially on a per capita basis) than Ohio.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, freefourur said:

I was reading some details of this and Feinstein's trades and now I can't find it. The gist is that these may need some further investigation but they don't seem to violate rules like Burr and Loefler.

 

Burr and Loefler are clearly the worst examples.  Feinstein had some trades, but they were the exact opposite of the goal of insider trading.  She sold one at the bottom and it's since risen.  Sure, investigate it but I doubt she has the chops to pull something off, no offense to her.

 

Loeffler dumped money into Citrix.  Hmmm.  Wonder what they do?


Very Stable Genius

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ohio most likely has at least one death so far (the Maumee case), and a friend said that they knew of someone who died with covid-19 symptoms and was never tested. I am certain that the number is not 0.

 

That being said it seems like we are handling this better than some other states.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, DarkandStormy said:

 

Waiting for 3-4 Dem Senators to have used private information to protect their stock gains in a time of crisis.  I'll continue to wait.

Dem corruption is far more obvious at the municipal level (Jimmy Dimora!) but I'm sure if you scratch the surface you'll find all sorts of stuff at the national level. Don't try to pretend that they are saints, because it is obvious to most people that they are not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Gramarye said:

 

Not to suggest an external factor, nor to take anything away from DeWine's decisive actions, but if this virus was spreading unseen in February before it was confirmed ... then it's entirely possible that it was present and spreading unseen and unknown on Mardis Gras, February 25, 2020.  That would affect Louisiana considerably more (especially on a per capita basis) than Ohio.

Also, New Orleans is a port for cruise ships, so that may be another factor.

Edited by skiwest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would urge everyone to take their discussions about which political party is more corrupt to other threads so that this one doesn't get locked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im hearing now that Ohio is going to shut down pretty much everything, essential work/essential travel only.  Will shut down all other businesses, construction sites, etc.  Pennsylvania has done the same and other east coast/west coast cities.

 

Someone please tell me which was is up.  

Edited by gottaplan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gottaplan said:

Im hearing now that Ohio is going to shut down pretty much everything, essential work/essential travel only.  Will shut down all other businesses, construction sites, etc.  

 

Someone please tell me which was is up.  

 

If it's any comfort, I've gotten calls from my mom three nights in a row claiming the same thing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gramarye said:

 

Not to suggest an external factor, nor to take anything away from DeWine's decisive actions, but if this virus was spreading unseen in February before it was confirmed ... then it's entirely possible that it was present and spreading unseen and unknown on Mardis Gras, February 25, 2020.  That would affect Louisiana considerably more (especially on a per capita basis) than Ohio.

Numbers are numbers, but its too early to understand the impact of anything.  Yes, Mardi Gras could be something.  Maybe they have more tests than Ohio?  Who knows. alot can go into those numbers.  I think its a reasonable post, but i dont think anything is determined yet...too early

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, taestell said:

I would urge everyone to take their discussions about which political party is more corrupt to other threads so that this one doesn't get locked.

 

^^^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, taestell said:

I would urge everyone to take their discussions about which political party is more corrupt to other threads so that this one doesn't get locked.

If people cannot follow simple instructions like this then please consider just banning the perps from the thread rather than closing the thread. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FWIW - The National Guard IS stationed in Elyria and Medina right now... but from what I'm hearing, that's to assist with logistics of necessities if needed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still no toilet paper or anything that would be germ killing at Kroger but at least I got my ramen noodles finally!

 

Also...I was waiting in the u-scan line when I guy left and I went to the empty spot...and there was his big list of groceries and total on the screen...he had simply bagged up all of his stuff and left without paying. I was unable to stop his stealing a%%-he was already out the door. Also noticed some people complaining loudly about this and that. Most people really nice, but the stress seems to be getting to some people.

 

*Also had a VERY early dr. appt so I was on the road at 5:15 am-and was almost washed off the damn road in the storms. On the way and on the way back, there was no real rush hour-it was just the ghost of a rush hour-very strange and unsettling. 

Edited by Toddguy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gottaplan said:

Im hearing now that Ohio is going to shut down pretty much everything, essential work/essential travel only.  Will shut down all other businesses, construction sites, etc.  Pennsylvania has done the same and other east coast/west coast cities.

 

Someone please tell me which was is up.  

 

New York (the state I am in) just ordered businesses to reduce their on-site workforce by 100% except for places that are designated essential.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can someone (maybe a mod?) create a "political aspects of the coronavirus pandemic" thread so this one will not get shut down and the political bickering can go on somewhere else?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Toddguy said:

Can someone (maybe a mod?) create a "political aspects of the coronavirus pandemic" thread so this one will not get shut down and the political bickering can go on somewhere else?

 

There are plenty of other threads for political bickering already.  People can keep this discussion to the coronavirus pandemic, or they will be getting time off.  Think before you post, please.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, freefourur said:

 

 

 

Almost 6,000 new cases too.  The lockdown better have an effect soon or we're in big trouble (and it will drastically undermine the reality that China is selling about its own efforts).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Toddguy said:

If people cannot follow simple instructions like this then please consider just banning the perps from the thread rather than closing the thread. Thanks.

 

Just want to echo this. This thread will be a valuable resource for many of us during crazy times. Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jonoh81 said:

 

Almost 6,000 new cases too.  The lockdown better have an effect soon or we're in big trouble (and it will drastically undermine the reality that China is selling about its own efforts).

Seriously! That is pretty frightening given that they have been in lockdown for a significant amount of time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...