KJP

Coronavirus Pandemic

2 minutes ago, jonoh81 said:

This is kind of a silly argument.  All disease/viral outbreaks would run through populations that have different health characteristics, among other differences. That's why you can't also *only* look at South Korea and say the global cfr is going to be 0.8%.  

Plus one could argue what about Africa? TB is endemic most places there yet look at the lack of INfEcTiOnS!!!!!

Just wait until this gets really going in Africa with limited resources, HIV, lack of proper nutrition, and many other "pre-existing conditions".

4 minutes ago, eastvillagedon said:

yeah, I love all of his work. All of the symphonies are great. Try the American Quartet if you haven't heard it. Okay, too much off topic. Sorry. But isn't this better than talking about coronavirus? 🤒

But isn't this better than talking about coronavirus? 🤒

Uh...No not in a thread that is specifically about the coronavirus. SMDH.  Isn't there a music/entertainment section on UrbanOhio?

25 minutes ago, jonoh81 said:

This is going to probably bankrupt far more people and businesses than 2008 ever did, IMO.  Dow down 3,000 points today and 30% since February.  We're not recovering from this quickly.  

Well I definitely don't want to argue during times like these but, I will say this:

It is a lot easier for the policy makers to save 1 million small business owners via policy like unemployment, direct subsidies, etc., than it is to save all those same business owners by bailing out 10 companies and hoping they do the right things with the bailout, which ended up being a bail out plus all the other stuff on top. It was a MUCH bigger mess, much more money lost than what will be lost here.

In short, it can be remedied a lot easier than in 2008 ever could. (I am saying this in the context of... if this lasts 3 months of lockdown before we hit peak and start re-gaining again vs. say 6 months total) If we hit 6 months total it could really be worse but then again, if the Feds have a good response like direct subsidies it should be able to keep the country afloat.

So, the Banks and Auto Makers got a $800 billion bailout in 2008, that is around $1 Trillion today.

If this thing lasts 3 months, then if the government cut $1 Trillion in checks to every american = $3,000 each, that probably saves the economy from developing into a severe type of recession. A lot easier to fix than the big bank and automaker bailout of 2008.

Will that happen though? That is the question...

Edited by IAGuy39

30 minutes ago, E Rocc said:

Iran and Hubei province of China have endemic tuberculosis issues.  Italy likely does too.   That would explain it and explain the higher mortality as well.

But these days it's not PC to contradict the doomsayers.  They flip out.

america has an aging population and an obesity problem. also the corona is newer here are we don't know who has it. so that would explain nothing.

37 minutes ago, E Rocc said:

Iran and Hubei province of China have endemic tuberculosis issues.  Italy likely does too.   That would explain it and explain the higher mortality as well.

But these days it's not PC to contradict the doomsayers.  They flip out.

also, I believe the vast majority of cases in China are men, and unlike in the US, the vast majority of men in China smoke, an underlying cause if there ever was one. That's why there's not a one-size-fits-all explanation to what may or may not happen. Different cultures have different profiles. 

Edited by eastvillagedon

12 minutes ago, eastvillagedon said:

I said I was sorry 

Well bless your heart! - and yeah I mean that in the nasty Mississippi way ;)

Question: Does anyone know if we are stepping up testing currently? Or has that not taken place yet? 

Is it only Cleveland Clinic doing this?

37 minutes ago, jonoh81 said:

This is going to probably bankrupt far more people and businesses than 2008 ever did, IMO.  Dow down 3,000 points today and 30% since February.  We're not recovering from this quickly.  

Yeah last week I was confident that we would bounce back by summertime.  Now I'm skeptical that construction announcements and business expansions will resume within a year.  

Also, thanks to Trump's reckless tax cuts, we don't have the option of a similar tax cut as a stimulus.  And the debt was exploding even before this.  

7 minutes ago, jmecklenborg said:

Yeah last week I was confident that we would bounce back by summertime.  Now I'm skeptical that construction announcements and business expansions will resume within a year.  

Also, thanks to Trump's reckless tax cuts, we don't have the option of a similar tax cut as a stimulus.  And the debt was exploding even before this.  

Not that it matters given the gravity of what is happening, but no new skyline cranes for some time.  😦 

11 minutes ago, Toddguy said:

Not that it matters given the gravity of what is happening, but no new skyline cranes for some time.  😦 

Silver lining: we could see the whole traveling to a bachelor/bachelorette party trend disappear.  

42 minutes ago, IAGuy39 said:

Question: Does anyone know if we are stepping up testing currently? Or has that not taken place yet? 

Is it only Cleveland Clinic doing this?

Cleveland Clinic and UH in Cleveland are doing testing, I know that. They’re opening a second drive-thru testing location tomorrow.

1 hour ago, taestell said:

Cincinnati Mayor John Cranley has announced his opposition to moving Election Day. It will be interesting to see if Ohio Democratic Party or other groups step in to try to block this move. Courts will need to make a decision fast given that the election is supposed to begin in just over 14 hours.

So far both state parties, the legislative black caucus, county commissioners association, and school boards association are supporting the move.

Haven’t heard many denounce it so far.

1 hour ago, jonoh81 said:

This is kind of a silly argument.  All disease/viral outbreaks would run through populations that have different health characteristics, among other differences. That's why you can't also *only* look at South Korea and say the global cfr is going to be 0.8%.  

Concur. While it may be okay to make up facts in development threads, in regards to a topic that is already completely polluted with fabrications there should be no room for these kind of statements.  

Fact: Tuberculosis is NOT endemic in Iran, not Italy. 

Fact: Tuberculosis rates in Iran are nearly 9x LESS than the global average. 

Fact: Tuberculosis rates in Italy (3.8 per 100,000) are only slightly lower than in the United States (2.8 per 100,000). 

Fact: The US population has numerous epidemiological risk factors (already noted here) that pose just as significant risk factors to COVID—19 infection as population-wide TB incidence. 

Source on TB information: UN Development Program statistics 

Edited by brtshrcegr

Hi folks, I normally would not “go around” a lock that an administrator has placed on a thread, but I wanted to share the news that tomorrow’s election in Ohio is still on. The judge has denied the governor’s request to delay the election. Perhaps they will appeal to the Ohio Supreme Court, but for now, the election is on.

EDIT (11:11 pm): DeWine now says that he will defy the court order and the state's health director will order the polling places closed. The election will be rescheduled to a later date. That's the final updated I'll provide here tonight. Please stay tuned to a trusted local media outlet for further updates.

Please be mindful of your posts within this thread.  It has been unlocked so that we can share updates and keep each other informed.  This is not the place for bashing or spreading blatant inaccurate information. If the rules are not being followed, we will lock/delete the thread entirely.

My mother-in-law has “bronchitis” (her words).  Her doctor and daughters made it clear she needed to go get tested for Coronavirus. They drove down to Cleveland Clinic main campus yesterday. They arrived at 3:30. They were turned away because there were already too many people in line. They are going again today and plan to arrive two hours before testing starts. I will update when I know more. 

12 hours ago, taestell said:

Hi folks, I normally would not “go around” a lock that an administrator has placed on a thread, but I wanted to share the news that tomorrow’s election in Ohio is still on. The judge has denied the governor’s request to delay the election. Perhaps they will appeal to the Ohio Supreme Court, but for now, the election is on.

EDIT (11:11 pm): DeWine now says that he will defy the court order and the state's health director will order the polling places closed. The election will be rescheduled to a later date. That's the final updated I'll provide here tonight. Please stay tuned to a trusted local media outlet for further updates.

Supposedly there is a health emergency order in place. But as we've noted, DeWine doesn't have the authority to move the election.

Just an absolute mess. I'll probably walk over to the rec center (polling location) around lunch just to see what's going on and report back here if I see anything noteworthy. The rec center has obviously been closed for days.

Very Stable Genius

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

11 minutes ago, Boomerang_Brian said:

My mother-in-law has “bronchitis” (her words).  Her doctor and daughters made it clear she needed to go get tested for Coronavirus. They drove down to Cleveland Clinic main campus yesterday. They arrived at 3:30. They were turned away because there were already too many people in line. They are going again today and plan to arrive two hours before testing starts. I will update when I know more. 

"But MUH sOCialIZED medisine" 

It's becoming clear that in other countries around the world with nationalized healthcare of some sort, they are way better equipped to deal with these kinds of medical emergencies.  

10 minutes ago, Cleburger said:

It's becoming clear that in other countries around the world with nationalized healthcare of some sort, they are way better equipped to deal with these kinds of medical emergencies.  

Is it?  Is it becoming clear that socialized medicine of some sort would have us better equipped to deal with this...?    Please expand on this...  

Update from my mother-in-law (8:30am): “We are in Cleveland Clinic line now. Testing begins at 11:00 and there are 50-60 cars in front of us. I brought some magazines and snacks. Police are here to prevent riots.”

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

22 minutes ago, Cleburger said:

Disagree. This has been far more about leadership than healthcare systems. 

Italy has nationalized healthcare... its response was lackluster. 

Ireland has the highest share of private insured in the EU, and the leadership is killing it right now. 

If the CDC made the tests widely available by accepting WHO contributions, no one would be turned away right now. It's a leadership problem. 

15 hours ago, DarkandStormy said:

The Cap City Half Marathon in Columbus is pushed to August.

The Canton Hall of Fame Marathon is canceled.  Unlike the two previously mentioned, they are not moving theirs to the fall.  The reason given, to not take runners away from the other fall marathons (Akron, Columbus, Air Force in Dayton, etc.)

Edited by STRIVE2THRIVE

I have a trip planned to Tokyo and Osaka in 8 days.  So far, all the flights are still operating.  Wondering if Japan will not allow US citizens into the country if the number of cases here continue to rise.

It looks like maybe Italy topped out, just for yesterday though.

Hopefully they have seen their peak and can flatten out and eventually fall. 

The problem here is that we don't know how many people have the virus yet, the testing is so minimal. We may peak around the same time as Italy but we may have 5,000 cases and 1,000 deaths per day for awhile. Hopefully, we don't see that, and people are starting to take this seriously.

8 minutes ago, IAGuy39 said:

I read an article in Cincinnati where all the hospitals are ready to start testing but.... no tests!

I would assume they can do a standard RVP and rule in or out ~20 common viruses, including influenza.  It's kind of backing in to covid-19 without knowing for sure.

Very Stable Genius

This is what the genius heading the virus response said yesterday at the White House briefing:

Dr. Deborah L. Birx, who is heading the coronavirus response, claimed that the White House’s inability to respond in the first 40 days of the crisis was actually a good thing because it enabled them to sit back and watch the way others dealt with the crisis and what worked for them.

A complete leadership fail.

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/03/cnn-reporter-calls-out-trump-to-his-face-yesterday-you-said-this-was-under-tremendous-control/

1 hour ago, DarkandStormy said:

Just an absolute mess. I'll probably walk over to the rec center (polling location) around lunch just to see what's going on and report back here if I see anything noteworthy. The rec center has obviously been closed for days.

The election is definitely not happening today, so I'd stay home. I'm sure there will be lawsuits about whether the Health Director and Sec. of State had the authority to cancel it, but...it's cancelled.

21 minutes ago, DarkandStormy said:

I would assume they can do a standard RVP and rule in or out ~20 common viruses, including influenza.  It's kind of backing in to covid-19 without knowing for sure.

Yes, you are correct. I think though it just delays everything longer not having the tests... Here is the article I think all free to read. I wish we had a 20 of the Cleveland Clinic testing centers throughout Ohio:

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2020/03/16/coronavirus-ohio-hospitals-still-working-offering-tests/5062129002/

Edited by IAGuy39

2 minutes ago, taestell said:

The election is definitely not happening today, so I'd stay home. I'm sure there will be lawsuits about whether the Health Director and Sec. of State had the authority to cancel it, but...it's cancelled.

Catching up on the story - looks like the Ohio Supreme Court finally agreed with DeWine.

That said, WFH for the 2nd day in a row with the spouse as well.  We have essentially been semi-self isolated since Friday night, but for taking the dog out on walks.  The rec center (our polling location also) is located at the park across the street.  Weather has been up and down but haven't seen large groups of people out like we normally do in the summer.  If we do pass folks on the path we move to the side of the path as the others do on the other side.  Maybe not the full 6 feet when passing, but pretty close.

Very Stable Genius

26 minutes ago, richNcincy said:

I have a trip planned to Tokyo and Osaka in 8 days.  So far, all the flights are still operating.  Wondering if Japan will not allow US citizens into the country if the number of cases here continue to rise.

I would worry that Japan will implement a 14 day quarantine for Americans coming into Japan, or the US will implement a 14 day quarantine for Americans returning from other countries. Many airlines are waiving cancellation and change fees right now, I would look into that.