KJP

Coronavirus Pandemic

https://www.hometownstation.com/santa-clarita-news/coronavirus/carl-goldman-tests-positive-once-again-for-coronavirus-in-covid-19-quarantine-part-28-317645

Carl Goldman Tests Positive Once Again For Coronavirus In COVID-19 Quarantine: Part 28

Nebraska man quarantined since Feb. 4th appears incapable of shedding the virus.

Very Stable Genius

U.S. Senator posts a troll picture instead of imploring his party leader to get to Washington to pass coronavirus relief bill.

In case you thought "Republicans are a public health crisis" was too dramatic.

Very Stable Genius

yeah i would put zero stock in any chinese wuhan virus numbers.

anyway the whole country needs to go on a break for month. its not the end of the world.

that will help give some pause for testing to get ramped up and for everyone to get a better handle on it.

the biggest thing as of now is no one knows who is actually sick and who isn't.

meanwhile, these guys below aren't the only price gougers. they got caught, but someone really has to keep an eye on that kind of thing, because its happening. my mother said she saw that even the target near them in florida jacked up prices on tp.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/14/hoarding-bros-hoping-to-profiteer-off-coronavirus-stuck-with-17k-bottles-of-hand-sanitizer/

26 minutes ago, mrnyc said:

yeah i would put zero stock in any chinese wuhan virus numbers.

anyway the whole country needs to go on a break for month. its not the end of the world.

that will help give some pause for testing to get ramped up and for everyone to get a better handle on it.

the biggest thing as of now is no one knows who is actually sick and who isn't.

meanwhile, these guys below aren't the only price gougers. they got caught, but someone really has to keep an eye on that kind of thing, because its happening. my mother said she saw that even the target near them in florida jacked up prices on tp.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/14/hoarding-bros-hoping-to-profiteer-off-coronavirus-stuck-with-17k-bottles-of-hand-sanitizer/

wasn't YABO713 virtually boasting just the other day about how much Purell he has while no one else could find any? 😉

5 hours ago, Toddguy said:

The panic buying is ridiculous. Galloway Kroger had a pack of people at the door before opening at 6am(an employee told me)and later the line was the longest I have ever seen. NO place I went to has a single roll of toilet paper left. I don't get the toilet paper thing-as if other things can't be used in a crisis? Plus no paper towels or any product with "germ killing" or "antibacterial/anti-virus" or anything like that. Canned meat (yuck) all gone, whole aisles cleared out of food. 

All of this yet there were people coughing, sneezing, wiping their runny snouts with their bare hands, and I did not see a single person using any personal hand sanitizer while I was out-I was the only one. People were even ignoring the wipes for your cart at the front of the store. 

At least I did not see anyone actually fighting over anything.

I really didn't get the toilet paper thing either except that if people are quarantined for a couple of weeks they're fearful they'll run out. But how many rolls can even the average family of four need?? Maybe the binge buying has died down a bit. I was just in a Trader Joe's and it was not busy at all but were busily re-stocking shelves (but as a result of a large delivery that was supposed to arrive yesterday getting there late today. The staff told me I was "lucky."), quite a contrast from yesterday. I figured people are at home in their bunkers or out partying, since it is Sat. night. 

Edited by eastvillagedon

So Trump orders all transatlantic flights canceled with only a few days notice. So everyone returns in a crush of crowds. And there's the enhanced screening by customs (temperature sensitivity, more questions, etc) to make sure people aren't bringing the Coronavirus into the USA. And this what 6+ hour waits/lines look at gateway airports like New York, LA, Atlanta, Dallas, Chicago, etc. So much for social distancing....

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

31 minutes ago, DarkandStormy said:

How is this not career ending?

I didn't think it was possible to despise him more than I already did, and yet he keeps finding ways to lower the bar.  What a truly evil man.

Edited by jonoh81

No TP or bread here in Toledo area as well... I am thankful though, that I got home from my trip on wednesday night..just as a lot of the madness was starting. 

Confirmed corona cases coming out of NW Ohio/SE Mich... 1 from Lucas county and 1 from Monroe Co Mi

A lot of people were out in Cincinnati Friday and Saturday night.  I saw a good old-fashioned bar fight on Friday and tonight I saw a pregnant woman smoking outside of Pins on Main St. 

5 hours ago, jmecklenborg said:

A lot of people were out in Cincinnati Friday and Saturday night.  I saw a good old-fashioned bar fight on Friday and tonight I saw a pregnant woman smoking outside of Pins on Main St. 

😑

5 hours ago, jmecklenborg said:

Yikes. The “if we can’t beat a bug, we aren’t a tough country” crowd.

On 3/6/2020 at 11:24 AM, DarkandStormy said:

UPDATE - the airport I flew into has confirmed someone who arrived there on the day I did (EDIT - he arrived a day later, but I went back through that same airport on the 3rd) has been confirmed to have COVID-19 (he apparently was in Italy a few days before) *and* also was skiing at the resort I went to.

Good times.  I'll let ya'll know if I end up with symptoms in the next 2-14 days.

Nearing the end of the 14-day symptom window. No major symptoms, though would love a test to know for sure. No one I have interacted with multiple times (friends, co-workers, etc.) have said they're sick. So I'm probably in the clear.

That said, I'll be working from home this week most likely. This isn't going to get better any time soon.  Not worth going out, becoming a carrier, and then infecting parents who are 60+.

Also - nearly all major ski resorts have shut down for the week.

Very Stable Genius

spacer.png

South Korea is doing widespread, blanket testing. Italy has been waiting until people show symptoms. It suggests the younger you are, the more likely you are to be a carrier without symptoms.  And guess who are the ones saying, "It's no big deal, I'm still going to live my life."

Very Stable Genius

40 minutes ago, DarkandStormy said:

This administration is so ****ing dumb.

The most incompetent administration in modern history. 

7 hours ago, jmecklenborg said:

SMFH. I’ve also seen this morning pics of packed bars in Nashville and Kent State students partying like everything is normal. Idiots. 
I don’t know what the Warehouse District was like last night in Cleveland, but Playhouse Square down Euclid to Public Square was pretty much deserted. 

And they reckon that the last thing she saw in her life was
Sting, singing on the roof of the Barbican

10 minutes ago, roman totale XVII said:

SMFH. I’ve also seen this morning pics of packed bars in Nashville and Kent State students partying like everything is normal. Idiots. 
I don’t know what the Warehouse District was like last night in Cleveland, but Playhouse Square down Euclid to Public Square was pretty much deserted. 

I live in the Warehouse District. Several well attended bar crawls based on the number of people on the street. I wasn’t in any of the bars. 

32 minutes ago, freefourur said:

^ This infuriates me. We are social distancing and these selfish people can't bother to stay home. 

Getting a pic for Instagram > Saving the life of an elderly person

53 minutes ago, roman totale XVII said:

Obviously I am not a medical expert, but I think we are in more of a "code yellow" situation this weekend -- if you are not feeling sick, it is fine to go out to a restaurant or store, as long as you use common sense like washing your hands thoroughly and often, using hand sanitizer when a sink is not available, avoiding any business that is even moderately crowded, staying away from anyone who appears to be sick, etc.

With that being said, I predict that by next weekend we might be closer to a "code orange" or "code red" situation, where people should not leave their homes unless it's absolutely necessary. I do not plan to leave my building at all this week; I early voted yesterday at the BOE to avoid going out on Tuesday, I have plenty of food/supplies at home, I have a gym in my building, and my employer that lets me WFH full time, so I really have no reason to go outside.

Just to be clear, since people are now thanking Trump for being "early" on this:

- January 22: "This is not a pandemic, it will be limited in the US."

- February 24: The overreaction is a hoax by the Democrats, another failed impeachment attempt. 

- March 3: The Democrats are politicizing this to make the stock markets crash

- March 5: Testing will be available everywhere. 

- March 9: It's here, but we have it pretty much contained. 

- March 10: This is solely China's fault

- March 11: We're shutting down all flights from Europe as a way to be proactive about this virus. 

- March 13: We need to stop testing so many people. 

- March 15: This is very serious. 

3 minutes ago, taestell said:

Obviously I am not a medical expert, but I think we are in more of a "code yellow" situation this weekend -- if you are not feeling sick, it is fine to go out to a restaurant or store, as long as you use common sense like washing your hands thoroughly and often, using hand sanitizer when a sink is not available, avoiding any business that is even moderately crowded, staying away from anyone who appears to be sick, etc.

With that being said, I predict that by next weekend we might be closer to a "code orange" or "code red" situation, where people should not leave their homes unless it's absolutely necessary. I do not plan to leave my building at all this week; I early voted yesterday at the BOE to avoid going out on Tuesday, I have plenty of food/supplies at home, I have a gym in my building, and my employer that lets me WFH full time, so I really have no reason to go outside.

Nope. No. Wrong. Negative. 

I'm 29, could damn well have the virus but show no symptoms. I cough once within a 6 foot radius of another person, then the next domino falls. 

5 minutes ago, YABO713 said:

Nope. No. Wrong. Negative. 

I'm 29, could damn well have the virus but show no symptoms. I cough once within a 6 foot radius of another person, then the next domino falls. 

Exactly. This is the time we need to isolate at much as possible. I fear we will overload hospitals. Everyone needs to stay home if they can. Take a walk outside if you are going stir crazy. 

Dewine should order restaurants and bars closed. Really the president should really start taking more aggressive action.

Edited by freefourur

I hear you guys, but think about it this way. We are likely not going to have a vaccine for at least 12 more months. For that duration of time, there will be people walking around in public that have the virus but do not show any symptoms.

So...are you saying that for the next 12 months, everyone should avoid every situation where you will encounter any other human? All restaurants and bars should close for the next 12 months?

Obviously that is not realistic.

Are you guys doing any socializing in small groups? Seeing your parents/family? I agree with staying out of restaurants and bars.

Also just shopped at Giant eagle on West side of Cleveland, totally normally stocked except for hand soap and sanitizer, and bread. Didn't look at toilet paper. Crowds no bigger than normal.

Edited by mu2010

13 hours ago, KJP said:

So Trump orders all transatlantic flights canceled with only a few days notice. So everyone returns in a crush of crowds. And there's the enhanced screening by customs (temperature sensitivity, more questions, etc) to make sure people aren't bringing the Coronavirus into the USA. And this what 6+ hour waits/lines look at gateway airports like New York, LA, Atlanta, Dallas, Chicago, etc. So much for social distancing....

Global entry is worth every penny! 🙂

18 minutes ago, taestell said:

I hear you guys, but think about it this way. We are likely not going to have a vaccine for at least 12 more months. For that duration of time, there will be people walking around in public that have the virus but do not show any symptoms.

So...are you saying that for the next 12 months, everyone should avoid every situation where you will encounter any other human? All restaurants and bars should close for the next 12 months?

Obviously that is not realistic.

The outbreak should not last 12 months. The more we isolate in the beginning the better off we will be.

I think it’s hard to understand at this point how many cases are actually asymptomatic,  it should be low. This virus is nasty enough that at minimum should give a healthy young person a scratchy or sore throat, malaise, more difficult than normal breathing.  I could be mistaken, but if all of the positive cases out there, do we have any numbers of those who are asymptomatic? Even Rudy Gobert and Donovan Mitchell, who are world class athletes and young people showed symptoms.

i saw a video from an expert in the area which provided great advice.  If you go out in public, don’t act like you don’t want to acquire it....act like YOU HAVE IT.  I don’t think we need to 100% self isolate.  I will

be going for runs and walking the kids to the park. The virus has a temperature limit and I believe Cleveland today is below that limit. I will also go to the store,l because I need food.  All other commercial interactions will be carry out with me acting like I have the disease.

as for small gatherings, I’ve told my parents and parents in law that we are going to wait a week before visits.  I think the spread is so new we need to see if anyone develops symptoms. If my kids had it they could literally kill

my mom, who is a stroke victim.  I think having neighbors over for some wine and social distance at your home assuming nobody has symptoms is acceptable, with judgment . Wipe your hands, stay far enough away where basic speech droplets don’t fly in your mouth, and if anyone has a cough or sneeze,  caNcel

^ yeah and in a sense its 'just' a coronavirus, so developing the vaccine itself is really not a big deal, they will get there. 

by far the biggest issue now is no one knows who has it, so we need a pause for a few weeks and testing has to be ramped way, way up.

that means test kits need to be developed and test kit factories need to be going 24/7 asap.

the tp panic and all that comes from the public being completely in the dark about it because president cheeto gutted the cdc and left us hanging early on.

49 minutes ago, freefourur said:

Exactly. This is the time we need to isolate at much as possible. I fear we will overload hospitals. Everyone needs to stay home if they can. Take a walk outside if you are going stir crazy. 

Dewine should order restaurants and bars closed. Really the president should really start taking more aggressive 

You must not work in the restaurant, bar, or retail arena or care about any business owner or employee of one... If the government heavy-hands this kind of "close restaurants and retail" decision it will be devastating to a huge # of businesses and their employees. These types of businesses should at least be able to choose their own fate, which will already be difficult (see: Nighttown, Fire, etc... have voluntarily closed)

And have I missed a curfew or other declaration not to be out of house? This shaming by high and might types of people exercising their right to be out of home is out of control...

For every one of "them" there is one of me... in the last 24 hours, I've been to 3 restaurants, 2 grocery stores, a warehouse club, a gas station, a convenience store, and about 10 retail stores, both local and national. 

I've also continually sanitized and wiped and washed and minded every reasonable safety suggestion far more than I have ever done. And I have been TOO close no one other than my spouse - and close in a limited way to a few servers or clerks. And I will keep doing this - this is MY choice and should be. If others want to stay home,they can and should. 

Note: restaurants and stores I freqhent were generally probably 60-80% of the normal crowd I'd expect. Nothing "normal" but nothing empty, either. . 

1 hour ago, freefourur said:

The outbreak should not last 12 months. The more we isolate in the beginning the better off we will be.

I am 100% in favor of "flattening the curve" and reducing person-to-person contact in order to reduce the spread of the virus. I just think some people are a bit over-the-top right now with their shaming of any person who goes out into the world and does anything. I personally think anyone who went out and partied hard for St. Patrick's Day weekend is dumb. The people partying on Bourbon Street, packing into crowded bars and acting like nothing is happening, are idiots. But if someone who it not especially at-risk went out to eat over the weekend at a restaurant that wasn't very crowded, took extra precautions to keep distance from other people, washed their hands thoroughly several times throughout the day...I don't think we need to be shaming them for making that decision. We can't just shut down all restaurants, bars, and stores for the next 6 months. People need to make smart decisions and take extra precautions, but we can't just tell everyone to go into complete and total lockdown.

^^eyeheart - you can certainly do as you choose. You are asking us to be empathetic to the service industry, which I absolutely am and it absolutely sucks. But also consider the patients who are going to get this virus. The end result can be suffering and death, which is the ultimate loss.  America, when all said and done is going to have the second highest number of cases and probably deaths, behind China.  Who knows, if we didn’t get it early enough,  what the potential can be. Our medicine and resources will determine how many people can be treated.  This is so early, just because everyone feels good now, doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist,  the first case in the state of Washington was January 21. The first death was February 29.  Ohio announced its first case on Tuesday.

It's hard to say. A total lockdown helped mitigate this nightmare in China, and Italy is begging the world to take dramatic measures.

We probably should treat this more as a plague than anything, with a federal moratorium on mortgages and rent, and some kind of subsidy to hourly workers.

Now I say this at a coffee shop and I was out yesterday, so I'll admit to some hypocrisy.

And just another random thought - the MTA and CTA are still running. You can avoid socializing recreationally, but those systems remain economic lifebloods for New York and Chicago. At some point you have to imagine they'll be shut down.

Edited by TBideon

75% of people are admitting to taking little to no extra precautions.  It's a petri dish out there since we live in a society of morons.

Everyone saying "it's not that big of a deal" is going to get a bunch of elderly people killed.

Seeing a lot of "this is America - freedom!" type posts and pretty clear that 20 years of "we can't let the terrorists win" has rotted our collective brains.

Very Stable Genius