KJP

Coronavirus Pandemic

40 minutes ago, GCrites80s said:

That is like AIDS; nobody dies of AIDS, they die of the flu or a stomach infection, et al that they wouldn't have trouble fighting otherwise.

Patients don't die of HIV infection. They can however die of AIDS and/or its complications.

Similarly, patients don't die of SARS-CoV-2 infection. They can however die from COVID-19 and/or its complications.

Another example would be patients don't die of hepatitis C infection (HCV), they die of hepatocellular carcinoma or cirrhosis.

One is the virus, the other is the disease caused by the virus.

Edited by Frmr CLEder

^ I've shared some candidates and sources upthread, but almost every major pharmaceutical company/vaccine manufacturer worldwide, public, private and joint, are in the hunt.

That's a clear indication of the severity of the pandemic and the potential financial reward for those who are successful.

Edited by Frmr CLEder

9 minutes ago, Frmr CLEder said:

^ I've shared some candidates upthread, but almost every major pharmaceutical company/vaccine manufacturer worldwide, public, private and joint, are in the hunt.

That's a clear indication of the severity of the pandemic and the potential financial reward for those who are successcul.

Yeah I was just wondering about anything new, within less than a week or so. I have seen more things related to the amount of people exposed than anything else. 

I agree with the "managed control until effective therapies/treatments or a vaccine/s" thing which is why I am looking for updates on treatments especially antibody related.

Of course we are not having any kind of managed control now really since we do not have adequate testing, contact tracing, etc in place-we have not met the standards originally set by the powers-that-be for reopening. And this is why I am really looking at the treatment part-as well as trying to limit possibilities of exposure.

I thought it was interesting the Brits were able to identify a marker for pediatric covid19.    It doesn’t seem the week to be releasing any significant studies.  Sad the main thing are reports that constantly dispute the importance of hydroxychloroquine in treating covid19. 

I think the therapeutic furthest along in the development pipeline is remdesivir, but as more is learned about the virus, its effects on immunity and the response of the immune system to the infection itself (ie; upregulation of the inflammatory response; ie, interleuken-6), therapeutics with different mechanisms of action (non-antivirals) may prove beneficial.

7 minutes ago, Frmr CLEder said:

I think the therapeutic furthest along in the development pipeline is remdesivir, but as more is learned about the virus, its effects on immunity and the response of the immune system to the infection itself (ie; upregulation of the inflammatory response; ie, interleuken-6), therapeutics with different mechanisms of action (non-antivirals) may prove beneficial.

So basically they are looking at ways to prevent cytokine storms?

I hate that there is so much that is unknown about this virus-and so much that seems to be random.

Its sad there isn’t more work on what makes people asymptomatic.  If 30-40% of people have no effects what are the commonalities?  Do they have symptoms like lower oxygen and just not notice? Are they taking something or just staying in great shape and the virus mainly attacks people that are overweight or have lung and heart issues?  

24 minutes ago, Toddguy said:

So basically they are looking at ways to prevent cytokine storms?

I hate that there is so much that is unknown about this virus-and so much that seems to be random.

Yes, it would appear that the excessive increase in cytokine production, which under normal conditions is beneficial, in COVID-19 patients, it may actually lead to increased morbidity and mortality; that is one potential area of therapeutic development.

As for the virus, I wouldn't say much is random. It's just novel, and while related to the common cold and SARS, this is the first highly infectious, highly contagious and absolutely deadly coronavorus to impact humanity. We'll get there. It just takes time.

It took 15 years to successfully develop a combination treatment (HAART) for HIV infection. Today it's treated like any other chronic condition, but prior to HAART, a diagnosis was considered an immediate death sentence; an HIV infection would difinitively advance to AIDS and death; virologic status (viral load) and immunologic status (CD4+) were/are key indicators of disease progression.

Fortunately much has changed in the past 25 years, so the time to market should be abbreviated. There is still alot that is unknown. We simply have to minimize our exposure risk, pray and wait this thing out.

Edited by Frmr CLEder

Ohio's latest coronavirus numbers:
-34,566 total cases (651 new)
-2,131 deaths (33 new)
-5,947 hospitalizations (136 new)
-833 actively in hospital (21 new)
-1,533 ICU admissions (17 new)
-326 current in ICU (41 new)

New hospilizations are seeing a serious spike as of late.

^^ Thanks Frmr CLEder for your response. I remember the AIDS epidemic quite well and hope we don't have to go through anything like that regarding finding an effective treatment timeline-wise. Yeah Remdesivir has had a positive, but limited effectiveness. I am holding out more hope for antibody plasma and ways to control the cytokine storm immune response. 

Is the cytokine storm responsible for so much of the clotting that is happening-especially in the lungs?

Damn the numbers are not looking good today.

Belgium has found a 4.7% infection rate apparently.  This after the UK found 6.7%.  These numbers are in line with all the other testing so far.  Even if we assume that some of the antibody and sero testing is flawed, that is some remarkable consistency being found... and still support an IFR around 1% or a bit higher, and that without a vaccine or effective treatment, this would lead to a long term death toll in the millions.

My dad is now hospitalized and confirmed positive.  Luckily not on a ventilator as this point.  He caught it in a nursing home almost immediately after arriving and despite them telling us he would be isolated from other patients (he wasn't).  

Edited by jonoh81

1 hour ago, Toddguy said:

^^ Thanks Frmr CLEder for your response. I remember the AIDS epidemic quite well and hope we don't have to go through anything like that regarding finding an effective treatment timeline-wise. Yeah Remdesivir has had a positive, but limited effectiveness. I am holding out more hope for antibody plasma and ways to control the cytokine storm immune response. 

Is the cytokine storm responsible for so much of the clotting that is happening-especially in the lungs?

Damn the numbers are not looking good today.

I've attached a few references.

They're pretty technical:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30628-0/fulltext

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32283152/ 

https://www.physiciansweekly.com/cytokine-storm-the-sudden-crash-in-patients-with-covid-19/

Edited by Frmr CLEder

1 hour ago, jonoh81 said:

My dad is now hospitalized and confirmed positive.  Luckily not on a ventilator as this point.  He caught it in a nursing home almost immediately after arriving and despite them telling us he would be isolated from other patients (he wasn't).  

Let's hope he makes a full recovery.

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

1 hour ago, jonoh81 said:

My prayers go out to you, Jonoh81 and your Dad.

Edited by Frmr CLEder

Thanks guys.  It's just so endlessly frustrating knowing how botched everything has been top to bottom, and how so many people continue to ignore the threat and selfishly do whatever they want.  

2 hours ago, jonoh81 said:

So sorry to hear this. I hope he makes a full recovery.

^ It's very real and it can be very scary, but we all need to protect and support one another as we work our way through this. It will pass and I am more encouraged every single day that there is indeed light at the end of the tunnel.

7 hours ago, jonoh81 said:

Belgium has found a 4.7% infection rate apparently.  This after the UK found 6.7%.  These numbers are in line with all the other testing so far.  Even if we assume that some of the antibody and sero testing is flawed, that is some remarkable consistency being found... and still support an IFR around 1% or a bit higher, and that without a vaccine or effective treatment, this would lead to a long term death toll in the millions.

I'm really sorry to hear that @jonoh81

10 hours ago, TwoStickney419 said:

It really sucks, but it seems for some people, they just won't get it.... Until they, or someone they know, tests positive. 

It is sort of like a war being fought somewhere else-people are dying but they are not being seen really-they are alone, no funerals, just more obituaries. Kind of like when wars start and it really does not hit home until a certain amount of soldiers start dying and it "hits" close to home at a certain point as people start knowing families who have lost someone.

This is a particularly cruel disease in that those who are dying, do so quarantined, in isolation, alone, unable to be personally comforted by their loved ones before death.

Protect yourselves and your loved ones. 

We need to buy time until we have a greater abundance of therapeutics.

Edited by Frmr CLEder

Well I got tired of not having a haircut-and not wanting to go to some place to have it done given what has happened regarding hair salon exposures in other states..and not finding someone who can do it for me(self-quarantining for the most part)...I did it myself lol. 

I cannot take the risk going to a salon right now given that I am the main contact/errand/assist person for my 92 year old father.

Scissors and then my beard trimmer on the lowest setting. Went a bit too deep with the scissors in a few places but otherwise it is about 1/4 inch now.  That short and with my goatee intact I look like one of the damn protesters demanding that the state open up lol. 

Oh well, it will grow out a bit in a week or two and it will be baseball caps in public until then. I don't care it feels so good to have all that damn stringy hair gone. Who cares what it looks like-we are living in extraordinary times, right?  And next time it will be easier to do it all with the beard trimmer and it will be not have the few areas that look scalped. To hell with how it looks-it feels great!

*Male pattern baldness is a pain...how much longer until the receding front meets the bald space on top? lol. Fortunately at my age I really don't care too much. How age does change a person.

Edited by Toddguy

2 hours ago, Frmr CLEder said:

Eli Lilly advances trials of monoclonal antibody treatment. It may be available by Fall.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/01/health/eli-lilly-antibody-therapy-human-trial-covid-19/index.html

Thanks! For posting this!  I am really pinning my hopes on something like this being available before any kind of vaccine. I am really going to be hoping this turns out well. 

I know there have been specific cases of people responding very well after receiving antibody plasma(I think there was a young guy in Dublin who was doing very poorly and then made a quick recovery). I hope that as more people are tested and show antibodies they begin to collect plasma/have a donor list/something so if nothing else is working it can be used for patients who are seriously ill with this disease.

Edited by Toddguy

I hope the experts are wrong and these protests around the nation do not have a catastrophic effect of causing a much greater viral spread and spike in cases, but I am not optimistic. 

The good news is that most peaceful protesters appear to be wearing masks. Not so sure about the criminal elements that seek to destroy, create chaos and undermine the messages of the legitimate protesters.

2 minutes ago, Frmr CLEder said:

The good news is that most peaceful protesters appear to be wearing masks. Not so sure about the criminal elements that seek to destroy, create chaos and undermine the messages of the legitimate protesters.

From what I have observed while watching livestreams, it appears that more of the criminal element seems to be wearing masks than you might think-but maybe only because that is kind of what people who engage in criminal behavior want to do-wear a mask and help hide your identity. A win-win...stay safe as you hide your identity while looting!

They certainly seem to be better at mask-wearing than those people partying in bars, Lake of the Ozarks, etc. 

5 minutes ago, skiwest said:

So does Ohio's ban on mass gatherings not apply to protests?

Didn't apply to those who showed up on the statehouse with AR-15s and MAGA hats.  Why would it apply now?

Very Stable Genius

Such a ban is probably not enforceable on public property. May still be enforceable in some contexts like banning concerts, sports, etc. But, I'm not a lawyer.

As of Monday, 35,984 cases and 2,206 deaths were reported to date in Ohio with 6,112 hospitalizations and 1,569 ICU admissions.

https://www.nbc4i.com/community/health/coronavirus/coronavirus-in-ohio-monday-update-odh-to-release-latest-case-numbers/

It is really ramping up in some other countries outside of the Americas and Europe.

India: nearly 200,000 cases now

Pakistan: nearly 75,000 cases now

Bangladesh: nearly 50,000 cases now.

South Africa: nearly 35,000 cases now

Nigeria: over 10,000 cases now.

It seems like it is well established in these very populous nations now(combined population of the above nations is about 2 billion)and spread throughout the rest of Africa and the Indian subcontinent is just a matter of time.

Edited by Toddguy

The NIH has been putting out a series of podcasts on Covid-19, A particularly interesting one mostly about antibodies is a conversation between Francis Collins (NIH) and Ned Sharpless (NCI) on where we are now and where research is likely headed.  It's 35 minutes, of which the first ten or so is devoted to basics; then it gets reaally interesting.

There's nothing wrong with optimism, as long as you don't get your hopes up.

22 hours ago, skiwest said:

So does Ohio's ban on mass gatherings not apply to protests?

I know! The police should do something about these protests!

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52903717

Sweden's controversial decision not to impose a strict lockdown in response to the Covid-19 pandemic led to too many deaths, the man behind the policy, Anders Tegnell, has acknowledged.

Sweden has seen a far higher mortality rate than its nearest neighbours and its nationals are being barred from crossing their borders.

Dr Tegnell told Swedish radio more should have been done early on.

"There is quite obviously a potential for improvement in what we have done."

Sweden has counted 4,542 deaths and 40,803 infections in a population of 10 million, while Denmark, Norway and Finland have imposed lockdowns and seen far lower rates.

Denmark has seen 580 deaths, Norway has had 237 deaths and Finland 321. Sweden reported a further 74 deaths on Wednesday.

Sweden now has the 5th-highest deaths per capita among countries with a population of more than 1m.

Very Stable Genius

@surfohio - moving this here, since my point was related to coronavirus impacts.

My only point was that "limited government" libertarians would likely have a) sought no government intervention due to covid-19 and b) provided no government assistance to businesses and people impacted by shutdowns because they wouldn't have happened in the first place.  Maybe I'm wrong, but the "principled" libertarians who want to reduce government (both overreach - i.e. shutdowns - and financial assistance) would, I am assuming, not have enacted stay-at-home orders, limited mass gatherings, etc.

Very Stable Genius

1 minute ago, DarkandStormy said:

@surfohio - moving this here, since my point was related to coronavirus impacts.

My only point was that "limited government" libertarians would likely have a) sought no government intervention due to covid-19 and b) provided no government assistance to businesses and people impacted by shutdowns because they wouldn't have happened in the first place.  Maybe I'm wrong, but the "principled" libertarians who want to reduce government (both overreach - i.e. shutdowns - and financial assistance) would, I am assuming, not have enacted stay-at-home orders, limited mass gatherings, etc.

Ah, I see. Yeah I also have a major problem with that. To me the value in ideology lessens a great deal when broadened so far beyond what is practical or intelligent. 

Cleaning products seem to be showing up now. I got 3 big bottles of hand sanitizer(I gave one 32 oz bottle to someone who needed it and is almost out-the guy is older and has battled lung cancer. leukemia, some other cancer, and just had a hip replacement 6 months ago-and he beat those cancers!- and another one to my dad), masks, rubbing alcohol, Lysol spray. The only thing I could not find was the disinfectant wipes-but any thing will do if you spray it down. 

I took my dad to his doctor and they were very vigilant-they would not let me in even though I had been quarantining in the house for 13 damn days! But they relented and let me be on a conference type call outside so it was all good. But besides that I was at 3 stores and in all of them the majority of customers were NOT wearing masks. I even had some older white guy about my age question me about my wearing a mask. With my hair shaved off I look just like one of those imbecile right wing nutjobs that protested at the statehouse! smh. 

I hope everyone is doing well and being as safe as they can be.

@jonoh81I hope your father is doing better and will make a full recovery.

16 minutes ago, E Rocc said:

I don't understand the uproar on this. There was very small inconsistencies in the data it seemed but, I don't see how that changes the whole study.

That said, even if it did change the study, wow now you go from killing more people who are on it vs just plain not helping people on it.

Lastly: This drug has been used all across the USA and maybe it has some effect though it isn't scientifically significant, people would know by now. People are still dying at a super high rate and they are all on hydroxychloroquine and z-pack and zinc. 

Vegas casinos are open. Staff is wearing masks but guests aren't required to, and it looks like a majority aren't.

That virus is going to be spreading more than the clap in Amsterdam.

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers