KJP

Coronavirus Pandemic

the following advice was forwarded to me by a friend. There's no link but I assume it's legit--

From member of the Stanford hospital board. This is their feedback for now on Corona virus: 

The new Coronavirus may not show sign of infection for many days. How can one know if he/she is infected? By the time they have fever and/or cough and go to the hospital, the lung is usually 50% Fibrosis and it's too late. 

Taiwan experts provide a simple self-check that we can do every morning. Take a deep breath and hold your breath for more than 10 seconds. If you complete it successfully without coughing, without discomfort, stiffness or tightness, etc., it proves there is no Fibrosis in the lungs, basically indicates no infection. In critical time, please self-check every morning in an environment with clean air.

Serious excellent advice by Japanese doctors treating COVID-19 cases: Everyone should ensure your mouth & throat are moist, never dry. Take a few sips of water every 15 minutes at least. Why? Even if the virus gets into your mouth, drinking water or other liquids will wash them down through your throat and into the stomach. Once there, your stomach acid will kill all the virus. If you don't drink enough water more regularly, the virus can enter your windpipe and into the lungs. That's very dangerous. Please send and share this with family and friends. Take care everyone and may the world recover from this Coronavirus soon.

IMPORTANT tips - CORONAVIRUS

1. If you have a runny nose and sputum, you have a common cold

2. Coronavirus pneumonia is a dry cough with no runny nose.

3. This new virus is not heat-resistant and will be killed by a temperature of just 26/27 degrees. It hates the Sun.

4. If someone sneezes with it, it takes about 10 feet before it drops to the ground and is no longer airborne.

5. If t drops on a metal surface it will live for at least 12 hours - so if you come into contact with any metal surface - wash your hands as soon as you can with a bacterial soap

6. On fabric it can survive for 6-12 hours. normal laundry detergent will kill it.

7. Drinking warm water is effective for all viruses. Try not to drink liquids with ice.

8. Wash your hands frequently as the virus can only live on your hands for 5-10 minutes, but - a lot can happen during that time - you can rub your eyes, pick your nose unwittingly and so on.

9. You should also gargle as a prevention. A simple solution of salt in warm water will suffice.

10. Can't emphasis enough - drink plenty of water! THE SYMPTOMS

11. It will first infect the throat, so you'll have a sore throat lasting 3/4 days 2. The virus then blends into a nasal fluid that enters the trachea and then the lungs, causing pneumonia. This takes about 5/6 days further. 3. With the pneumonia comes high fever and difficulty in breathing. 4. The nasal congestion is not like the normal kind. You feel like you're drowning. It's imperative you then seek immediate attention.

5 minutes ago, eastvillagedon said:

the following advice was forwarded to me by a friend. There's no link but I assume it's legit--

From member of the Stanford hospital board. This is their feedback for now on Corona virus: 

The new Coronavirus may not show sign of infection for many days. How can one know if he/she is infected? By the time they have fever and/or cough and go to the hospital, the lung is usually 50% Fibrosis and it's too late. 

Taiwan experts provide a simple self-check that we can do every morning. Take a deep breath and hold your breath for more than 10 seconds. If you complete it successfully without coughing, without discomfort, stiffness or tightness, etc., it proves there is no Fibrosis in the lungs, basically indicates no infection. In critical time, please self-check every morning in an environment with clean air.

Serious excellent advice by Japanese doctors treating COVID-19 cases: Everyone should ensure your mouth & throat are moist, never dry. Take a few sips of water every 15 minutes at least. Why? Even if the virus gets into your mouth, drinking water or other liquids will wash them down through your throat and into the stomach. Once there, your stomach acid will kill all the virus. If you don't drink enough water more regularly, the virus can enter your windpipe and into the lungs. That's very dangerous. Please send and share this with family and friends. Take care everyone and may the world recover from this Coronavirus soon.

IMPORTANT tips - CORONAVIRUS

1. If you have a runny nose and sputum, you have a common cold

2. Coronavirus pneumonia is a dry cough with no runny nose.

3. This new virus is not heat-resistant and will be killed by a temperature of just 26/27 degrees. It hates the Sun.

4. If someone sneezes with it, it takes about 10 feet before it drops to the ground and is no longer airborne.

5. If t drops on a metal surface it will live for at least 12 hours - so if you come into contact with any metal surface - wash your hands as soon as you can with a bacterial soap

6. On fabric it can survive for 6-12 hours. normal laundry detergent will kill it.

7. Drinking warm water is effective for all viruses. Try not to drink liquids with ice.

8. Wash your hands frequently as the virus can only live on your hands for 5-10 minutes, but - a lot can happen during that time - you can rub your eyes, pick your nose unwittingly and so on.

9. You should also gargle as a prevention. A simple solution of salt in warm water will suffice.

10. Can't emphasis enough - drink plenty of water! THE SYMPTOMS

11. It will first infect the throat, so you'll have a sore throat lasting 3/4 days 2. The virus then blends into a nasal fluid that enters the trachea and then the lungs, causing pneumonia. This takes about 5/6 days further. 3. With the pneumonia comes high fever and difficulty in breathing. 4. The nasal congestion is not like the normal kind. You feel like you're drowning. It's imperative you then seek immediate attention.

https://www.google.com/search?safe=active&ei=M4JqXs-1LsHosAfFo7OIDg&q=Take+a+deep+breath+and+hold+your+breath+for+more+than+10+seconds.&oq=Take+a+deep+breath+and+hold+your+breath+for+more+than+10+seconds.&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0i30.6321.6321..6893...0.0..0.167.309.0j2......0....1..gws-wiz.wPG-DvDuEcs&ved=0ahUKEwiPm-mJy5XoAhVBNOwKHcXRDOEQ4dUDCAs&uact=5

Just now, DarkandStormy said:

The most easily predicted "who's gonna post bunk from Facebook" one could predict on UO -sorry, Don 😉

I guess it was important to at least try and counteract all the bunk I read on this thread about how the President is single-handedly responsible for this entire crises! (when in fact it's probably not nearly as bad as it could be due to his early travel ban from China. But why bother with facts when there's an election in November?) 😉

DeWine announces K-12 schools will go on extended spring break - 3 weeks.  Also says order coming that will ban all gatherings of 100 or more people (exempt are schools, factories, grocery stores, airports, bus and train stations, medical facilities, shopping malls, and religious gatherings).

About as aggressive a response I've seen around the country.

Very Stable Genius

42 minutes ago, Gramarye said:

Brazilian official who met Trump and Pence at Mar-a-Lago tests positive for coronavirus

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/03/12/coronavirus-live-updates/

And yet the WH is saying they had little interaction despite spending the weekend at Mar-a-Lago and taking photos together, and that neither Trump nor Pence need to be tested.  

21 minutes ago, eastvillagedon said:

lol. Must be a Russian plot.

This is really disgusting and says a lot about your character.  Reports are now that some countries are digging mass graves and you're still spreading BS.  Shame on you.

6 hours ago, DarkandStormy said:

How to bungle a health crisis in 60 days or less:

February 10: Trump says without evidence that the coronavirus “dies with the hotter weather”

February 24: Trump baselessly claims the situation is “under control”

February 25: A senior White House official falsely claims the virus has been “contained”

February 25: Trump falsely claims Ebola mortality was “a virtual 100%”

February 25: Trump falsely claims “nobody had ever even heard of Ebola” in 2014

February 26: Trump wrongly says the coronavirus “is a flu”

February 26: Trump baselessly predicts the number of US cases is “going very substantially down” to “close to zero”

February 26: Trump wrongly says the flu death rate is “much higher” than Dr. Sanjay Gupta said

February 27: Trump baselessly hints at a “miracle”

February 28: Trump baselessly hints at an immigration link to the virus

February 29: Trump exaggerates Tim Cook’s comments about Apple and China

March 1: Azar wrongly says 3,600 people have been tested

March 2: Trump falsely claims “nobody knew” the number of US flu deaths

March 2: Trump says a vaccine is coming “relatively soon”

March 4: Trump falsely claims Obama impeded testing

March 4: Trump wrongly says as many as 100,000 people died of the flu in 1990

March 4: Trump says “the borders are automatically shut down”

March 4: Trump says he believes there was a coronavirus death in New York, though there hadn’t been one

March 4: Trump falsely claims the Obama administration “didn’t do anything” about H1N1

March 5: Trump misleadingly describes a Gallup poll relating to his handling of the virus

March 5: Trump wrongly claims the virus only hit the US “three weeks ago”

March 6: Azar wrongly claims there is no test shortage

March 6: As the number of cases and deaths in Italy rises, Trump says the number is “getting much better”

March 6: Trump falsely claims anybody can get tested if they want

March 6: Trump exaggerates the number of people on the Grand Princess cruise ship

March 6: Trump falsely says US coronavirus numbers “are lower than just about anybody”

March 6: Trump baselessly muses that “maybe” the coronavirus improved US jobs numbers

March 9: Pence says Trump’s “priority” was getting Americans off the ship

You forgot this doozy:

During a Wednesday night interview with Fox News, President Trump said he believes people infected with the novel coronavirus may get better "by sitting around and even going to work."

3 minutes ago, DarkandStormy said:

DeWine announces K-12 schools will go on extended spring break - 3 weeks.  

What does this mean? That all public schools are off for three weeks?

1 minute ago, DarkandStormy said:

Ohio Director of Public Health says at least 1% of Ohioans have this virus.  How she determined this, I don't know.

In DeWine's press conference yesterday, it was stated that when there are at least 2 cases of community spread, the assumption is that 1% of the overall population already has it.

2 minutes ago, DarkandStormy said:

Ohio Director of Public Health says at least 1% of Ohioans have this virus.  How she determined this, I don't know.

She probably knows what she is talking about. I can't imagine she would just throw out there that about 100,000 Ohioans already have this. Very disturbing info.

3 minutes ago, Pugu said:

What does this mean? That all public schools are off for three weeks?

I assume that's what he meant, yes.

Gov. Mike DeWine has announced that all Ohio schools will be on a three-week spring break due to coronavirus concerns.

Gov. DeWine said this will begin on Monday, March 16.

Each school will determine access to building after that three week period.

The announcement was made during a press conference Wednesday where a fifth case was confirmed in the state. The latest case is a 55-year-old man in Trumbull County with no history of travel outside of Ohio.

https://www.10tv.com/article/dewine-spring-break-ohio-k-12-students-extended-3-weeks-2020-mar

A federal judge has suspended all jury trials and grand jury proceedings for courts in the southern district of Ohio for the next 30 days out of concerns about the spread of coronavirus, according to a copy of the judge’s order.

Very Stable Genius

1 minute ago, jonoh81 said:

In DeWine's press conference yesterday, it was stated that when there are at least 2 cases of community spread, the assumption is that 1% of the overall population already has it.

Thanks for answering this. 

Did I hear wrong or did she say that 40% of us are going to get this? I had to have heard that wrong....right?

seems a reasonable assumption. also, there is speculation it has been around longer than is known due to the long incubation period.

1 minute ago, Toddguy said:

Did I hear wrong or did she say that 40% of us are going to get this? I had to have heard that wrong....right?

I have heard the figure 40-70% thrown around in hearings in D.C. - don't know if that was a worst case type of thing or the trajectory we're on now.

Very Stable Genius

21 minutes ago, eastvillagedon said:

I guess it was important to at least try and counteract all the bunk I read on this thread about how the President is single-handedly responsible for this entire crises! (when in fact it's probably not nearly as bad as it could be due to his early travel ban from China. But why bother with facts when there's an election in November?) 😉

Don, no rational person blames the President for a pandemic. I do think, however, it's reasonable to criticize him for downplaying the severity of the illness because he thought an outbreak in the US would be bad PR for him. 

6 minutes ago, Toddguy said:

The Atlantic was reporting 40-70% as of a week ago. 😞 

1 minute ago, DarkandStormy said:

I have heard the figure 40-70% thrown around in hearings in D.C. - don't know if that was a worst case type of thing or the trajectory we're on now.

I am trying to keep my father at home and he is out and about running around in HIlliard. He is 91 years old and I am afraid if he gets this that will be it.  He is so damn stubborn. smh.  He is the only family I have left-I am estranged from both of my brothers after my mother died 13 months ago. 

This is going to be devastating to so many people.  We have not had anything like this in over 100 years.

3 minutes ago, DarkandStormy said:

The official number testified to in Congress yesterday was 21% - 34% 

25 minutes ago, eastvillagedon said:

I guess it was important to at least try and counteract all the bunk I read on this thread about how the President is single-handedly responsible for this entire crises!

Literally no one has said this.

Very Stable Genius

OK I shouldn't be joking about this, but I'm not alone ...

If you are at a place where you can watch streaming video, watch DeWine's press conference now and check out the sign language translator.

🤣 😂

ETA: Gov. DeWine and Dr. Amy Acton are doing a great job of being the adults in the room (especially because Acton was just appointed to her post at the Ohio Department of Health in February).  So there's room for someone else to not be, I guess!

Just now, Gramarye said:

If you are at a place where you can watch streaming video, watch DeWine's press conference now and check out the sign language translator.

🤣 😂

Was watching with a co-worker, we were crying we were laughing so hard. 

I mean, this has to be the end of the Trump presidency, no?

He was literally saying there would be no cases as the experts around him were saying the exact opposite. He could have made things so much easier by making executive orders back in January or early February let alone 2 weeks ago to have testing deployed extensively throughout the United States.

He made this thing much worse by not reacting much quicker only to save face on the FREAKING STOCKMARKET

Yeah, no one is blaming Trump for this, but we could be in possibly a lot better shape right now. Thank the Lord for actual leaders like Mike DeWine who was like "I don't care what people think I am shutting sh*t down and doing what's right"

The DOW is set for a top 5 all-time biggest single-day drop in history.  But for 1987, the top 10 days are all basically pre-WWII.

Very Stable Genius

18 minutes ago, jonoh81 said:

That's 115,000 Ohioans... 

Ok just heard DeWine----school closures are up to local district decisions---he is not saying all school must close.

4 minutes ago, Gramarye said:

🤣 😂

ETA: Gov. DeWine and Dr. Amy Acton are doing a great job of being the adults in the room (especially because Acton was just appointed to her post at the Ohio Department of Health in February).  So there's room for someone else to not be, I guess!

What the hell is her problem? I mean wtf? Looks like she is possessed by a damn demon!

3 minutes ago, IAGuy39 said:

I mean, this has to be the end of the Trump presidency, no?

No.  Republicans give zero ****s about America or Americans.

Very Stable Genius

18 minutes ago, YABO713 said:

Don, no rational person blames the President for a pandemic. I do think, however, it's reasonable to criticize him for downplaying the severity of the illness because he thought an outbreak in the US would be bad PR for him. 

well, you're right. No rational person would do so. But unfortunately there aren't too many of those in the media or on the liberal side of the aisle these days. Even a rabid never-Trumper Republican like John Kasich who doesn't toe the line is the target of their unhinged wrath

Edited by eastvillagedon

^yes, cases 4 and 5. I haven't seen any info on #6, except that per the NYT map, its not in the same city/town as the others--looks like around Youngstown.

This is an instance where I want to jump through my screen . Cleveland Clinic makes world-changing medical innovation and says it will be free.

Sam Allard: “bUt AcKsHuAlLy!!!”

9BB41B5A-8F2E-4A39-A318-25C327112BA7.jpeg

9 minutes ago, YABO713 said:

That's 115,000 Ohioans... 

Yeah I heard that yesterday too, pretty crazy.

Well you can do the math. The person who had no known interaction (community spread) had 100 interactions... if 1 of those 100 had 100 interactions... etc. etc. etc.

The weird part too is I am trying not to freak out a little bit but my allergies get something serious this time of year. I stocked up on allergy medicine even though it's a little early for me to start doing that, but I want to make certain I don't have the freaking coronavirus. When my anxiety is high I also get tightness in my chest and it's hard to breathe deeply, it's like freaking great man... I had a horrible case of flu this year already (i didn't get the flu shot like an idiot). My wife had the flu too, she was in her 1st trimester of pregnancy at the time. She is about to start her third trimester and she is a PT, luckily at an outpatient facility... but why haven't they abandoned all elective surgeries yet? I don't want her seeing patients at all. 

So anyways, I did some panic buys but eff that I have a son on the way and a pregnant wife to worry about, I bought a ton of antibacterial soap, dayquil/nyquil / tylenol for my wife and some ibuprofen for myself. 

I really want her to be done with work. And, I am OK to work from home too, we have a really small office with only 5 of us.

39 minutes ago, mrnyc said:

I guess this is not happening in Cleveland? I was on facebook and saw where a bunch of kids from my high school went to see Jesus Christ Superstar on Playhouse Square last night

I think the biggest thing I heard today that I found shocking was not the Dow collapsing further or school closures, but rather that the PEAK of this is not supposed to hit for 2 more months....  mid May.  

If things are this messed up now, what will life be like in a month, or more of businesses & schools being closed?  

10 minutes ago, IAGuy39 said:

Well you can do the math. The person who had no known interaction (community spread) had 100 interactions... if 1 of those 100 had 100 interactions... etc. etc. etc.

The weird part too is I am trying not to freak out a little bit but my allergies get something serious this time of year. I stocked up on allergy medicine even though it's a little early for me to start doing that, but I want to make certain I don't have the freaking coronavirus. When my anxiety is high I also get tightness in my chest and it's hard to breathe deeply, it's like freaking great man... I had a horrible case of flu this year already (i didn't get the flu shot like an idiot). My wife had the flu too, she was in her 1st trimester of pregnancy at the time. She is about to start her third trimester and she is a PT, luckily at an outpatient facility... but why haven't they abandoned all elective surgeries yet? I don't want her seeing patients at all. 

So anyways, I did some panic buys but eff that I have a son on the way and a pregnant wife to worry about, I bought a ton of antibacterial soap, dayquil/nyquil / tylenol for my wife and some ibuprofen for myself. 

I really want her to be done with work. And, I am OK to work from home too, we have a really small office with only 5 of us.

you need to be careful on what your wife takes, consult a dr before taking any medicine. 

5 minutes ago, eastvillagedon said:

I guess this is not happening in Cleveland? I was on facebook and saw where a bunch of kids from my high school went to see Jesus Christ Superstar on Playhouse Square last night

PHS just shut down too. 

And they reckon that the last thing she saw in her life was
Sting, singing on the roof of the Barbican

3 hours ago, Gramarye said:

We don't want panic, but we want seriousness.

There are certain kinds of panic that are irrational.  Panic buying toilet paper, for example:

http://theconversation.com/theres-plenty-of-toilet-paper-in-the-us-so-why-are-people-hoarding-it-133300

But social distancing/separation is not a panic strategy.  It is a critical life-saving measure because it slows down the infection rate, making the difference between hospitals that are stressed but not broken, and those that have to do every doctor's worst nightmare--decide even before treatment of seriously ill patients who gets treatment and who doesn't (i.e., dies), e.g., when you only have one external oxygen machine and two people need it immediately.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

I don’t think anyone is suggesting not taking the normal precautions one does during a flu outbreak.  Ironically here, I’ve always been big on social distancing.  I could probably teach lessons.   Online, of course.  😊

But this utter panic is ridiculous, the media is irresponsibly fanning it, and our statist governor thinks he was elected dictator.  

2 minutes ago, gottaplan said:

I think the biggest thing I heard today that I found shocking was not the Dow collapsing further or school closures, but rather that the PEAK of this is not supposed to hit for 2 more months....  mid May.  

If things are this messed up now, what will life be like in a month, or more of businesses & schools being closed?  

That date assumes both that the virus is seasonal and will die down in warmer weather- the rapid spread in at least some warm/hot countries suggests otherwise- and that things will get under control.  We really can't be sure of either at this point.  Even if it dies down, it can come back in the fall just as badly, with the thinking that this might become endemic.

He was not elected dictator.  He was elected governor.  And quarantines are sometimes a necessary part of public health policy even--gasp*--in a democratic state.

* no pun intended

ETA: Also, this is not "utter panic."  You have no idea what utter panic really looks like.  Utter panic is not when the Director of Health shares the podium with the governor, it's when the Adjutant General of the Ohio National Guard does.

18 minutes ago, IAGuy39 said:

I know this isn't overly reassuring... but for people under 70, this is really quite manageable even if contracted. It's just the spread to vulnerable persons that causes the panic