KJP

Cleveland: Random Development and Construction

Saw some work being done framing? On the corner of the schofield this morning not quite sure what they were doing or if someone is moving in.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, RDB said:

Saw some work being done framing? On the corner of the schofield this morning not quite sure what they were doing or if someone is moving in.

Moving into the retail space?

7 minutes ago, MyPhoneDead said:

Moving into the retail space?

They were working in between the retail space and the hotel/Parker’s entrance and I didn’t look too long so I can’t exactly say what they were doing.

• Like 1

About a year ago someone posted that an at&t store was moving in. But I haven't heard anything since. The problem is with some of these spaces they over value them on purpose and probably take a loss if they remain empty. Last time I checked they wanted like $85 dollars a sq. ft. Which is crazy.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, freethink said:

About a year ago someone posted that an at&t store was moving in. But I haven't heard anything since. The problem is with some of these spaces they over value them on purpose and probably take a loss if they remain empty. Last time I checked they wanted like $85 dollars a sq. ft. Which is crazy.

If they take a loss you would think they would do everything in their power to get someone in there. Strange. 

On 2/13/2020 at 6:00 AM, ExPatClevGuy said:

The article started out well enough, then went off the rails at the end.

"Brickhaus Partners' 95 Lake, located near Edgewater Park, is one of the closest "for sale" projects to downtown."

How did Brickhaus get in an article about for-sale units downtown? Besides that, there's a bunch of new construction townhome and single family homes for-sale closer to downtown than this.

• Like 2

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

10 hours ago, tykaps said:

I really like that Knez guy. He's doing urban stuff in Akron too. I thought it was pronounced Nezz not Ka-nezz. You learn something new everyday.

Some of the designs are mediocre though, but they have an opening for an architect on the website. I do interiors, or I'd apply and come back to Ohio. Get an UrbanOhioan Architect in that company and take it up a notch!!

Edited by metrocity
  • Like 4

@metrocity redirected here...

8 hours ago, metrocity said:

We had a conversation on a thread once. But I can't find the thread. I had been to an event in Chicago where Flats Chicago said they were venturing out of Chicago with their first project in another city, and it was Cleveland. They were known as Cedar Street too.  The company website is https://www.cedarst.com/

Website looks to be under some changes. The one original guy from Flats Chicago died and he was on a Bravo reality show called 100 days of summer. 

I'm told Cedar Street Properties may not be done with Cleveland when they're done with Church+State. Word is they're looking for projects and possibly partners for developing in downtown or nearby. A one-source rumor is that they want to build a high-rise downtown.

• Like 11
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 1

Die parking lots, die!

• Like 11
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 2

I am loving the idea of more condos in downtown instead of apartments, but the "modern" look is just so tiring to me.  I wish we could get some builders in Cleveland that do some of the things that DT Columbus has going on, the more traditional and classic Brownstone type style.  https://www.trulia.com/p/oh/columbus/230-e-gay-st-g23-columbus-oh-43215--2097062243

• Like 11

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, KJP said:

How awesome would it be seeing a Downtown Loop Streetcar / Waterfront Line Extension making the turn at that intersection?  That would create a superior method for those "Project Site" residents to get to work, and an easy way for anyone near a Rapid station to get to classes at Tri-C (or CSU).

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Enginerd said:

Maybe the city can start by updating their website from 1994.

Well one can only do so much with Netscape 1.0, and since Hizzoner's favorite nephew is an expert on same....

• Haha 2

Where the city of Cleveland's building permits and the values for them were filed in 2019:

ERjFoHbXkAIktHM?format=jpg&name=large

Cleveland ward map:

477-cleve-ward-map.png

Edited by KJP
  • Thanks 2

@Enginerd It was a pre-2010 map which I've since replaced

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, KJP said:

Where the city of Cleveland's building permits and the values for them were filed in 2019:

ERjFoHbXkAIktHM?format=jpg&name=large

Where's the permits chart from? I'll see if I can juxtapose something in there with the Cleveland Wards.

I know it wasn't your intention on the original post, but here's a map that I put together based on 2017 internet data. From what I understand ISP's can cook the books pretty hard on the Form 477 data. If ONE person on the street has the download speeds that the government is asking for, it counts as covering the entire street...

2017_10down1up_Draft1_001.jpg

Edited by GISguy

Source:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GISguy said:

Thanks Ken, let me see what I can cook up around lunchtime.

As promised, @KJP

Symbolized from low (blue) to high (red) permit numbers. The numbers represent how many permits there were filed in 2019.

2019Permits_ByNumber.thumb.jpg.ace921868549de727ad53e3e862f5123.jpg

And by value of permits:

2019Permits_ByValue.thumb.jpg.6ba75bc6b25d8e1be757045e378bba13.jpg

PS I can provide higher resolution if need be- just trying to reduce my uploads on here!

Edited by GISguy
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 4

Unless I'm reading this incorrectly, this map would also indicate that the heaviest investments have been in the CBD and along the Euclid Avenue (Healthline) corridor.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2020 at 12:04 PM, KJP said:

cleveland+from+lake+erie+2020-labeled.jp

MONDAY, JANUARY 20, 2020

Return of the Roaring 20s: downtown Cleveland development

Entering the 2020s, early as next year and likely continuing for at least several more years, it's looking more likely that downtown Cleveland will have as many skyscrapers under construction simultaneously as were built in the entire decade prior. Of course, this depends on the local and national economies. It's a return of the Roaring Twenties for Cleveland.

Nearly a dozen skyscrapers are planned downtown, along with several more buildings in the 10-19 stories range, and a handful of shorter new buildings. Unfortunately, not all of them are going to happen. Even the most well-thought-out plans go awry for the craziest of unanticipated reasons. Some of these are early on in their planning but already have some meaningful financial backing.

MORE

https://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2020/01/return-of-roaring-20s-downtown.html

@KJP are any of the towers you're hearing about projected to be at or taller than 700'?

Possibly, depending on how the new Justice Center courthouse tower is designed. Check back in about 8-10 months to see if another has a chance of happening. 

• Like 8

Cross-posted in the Avenue District thread....

Knez+Avenue+Townhomes-phase2-2s.jpg

SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 23, 2020

Building for-sale housing in downtown Cleveland is a test

Developers are facing tests and building tests as they try to address the long-standing lack of for-sale housing in downtown Cleveland. To address that shortcoming in this local and national market, developers and investors have endured a test of wills and finances.

So, in turn, it has required them to create their own kind of test -- like a toe in the water. Those tests have begun and could soon reap some intriguing results, including more for-sale housing projects.

The lack of for-sale options in multi-family developments built since the Great Recession is a national situation. The reason why downtown Cleveland has such a small for-sale housing inventory is because downtown Cleveland had a small overall housing inventory to begin with, and it's still playing catch-up to national averages among big cities, studies and industry experts say.

MORE:

https://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2020/02/building-for-sale-housing-in-downtown.html 

• Like 3

This might blow my cover as Marty15.  But this is a personal project I’m in the process of. It’s a 120 year old townhouse, that was essentially worthless. Part of why I have a hard time with the tear down and build new crowd. This has been incredibly more affordable than building new.

5461D3D0-93AF-4B38-BAE0-010C1FFDF02D.jpeg

022F7E6F-7DC5-4B14-AE68-D85372E7874C.jpeg

91678A58-89B4-4997-A5C1-12E222C0EDFD.jpeg

4E033620-8928-4D09-8660-D146E618EF13.jpeg

74F2FEBF-3422-44B0-A562-952F20AF8ED1.jpeg

5DDBFAE4-6443-49B1-ADED-B3DC86F0F15C.jpeg

E5BEA63A-37D6-4C7C-9A95-A8A356267980.jpeg

853E5FA8-4D43-4C6B-842C-B7AD041B76D3.png

• Like 19
  • Love 6

Thanks for saving that place! I too have a hard time sacrificing an old place for any new build. It’s so rare, the new structure is of equal quality.  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, TheCOV said:

Thanks for saving that place! I too have a hard time sacrificing an old place for any new build. It’s so rare, the new structure is of equal quality.  

Thanks! I’ll be glad to host a UO get together here when it’s ready.

• Like 6

19 hours ago, TheCOV said:

Where is this older building at?