Cleveland: Random Development and News

15 hours ago, musky said:

Not that it adds a significant number of jobs to the total, but Euclid actually has two Amazon facilities. There is a FLEX operation on Bluestone and it employs roughly 50 people (just a wild guess from what I've physically seen there since it opened almost three years ago). I imagine whatever number of jobs are at that location might be the same number as at the FLEX location in Twinsburg. Euclid serves almost all of Northeast Ohio. From Ashtabula to Lorain and as far south as Akron. Twinsburg is a smaller operation delivering mainly around the I-80 corridor. There is also FLEX center in Canton which also delivers Amazon Fresh (currently the only on in NE doing so). 

Since these new locations are, according to the Crain's article, smaller than the main distribution centers, My guess is that they will take some of the stress from the Euclid location for delivery to points west and will solidify the introduction of Amazon  Fresh and Amazon Restaurant Delivery (maybe) to the Cleveland and surrounding areas. 

There may also be a flex operation on the Macedonia/Oakwood border on Oakleaf, paralelling the 271-480 split.  I've seen gatherings of Prime vans there.

I saw this transfer earlier today and I'm trying to find out who the buyer is too. No luck so far....

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

Its really not surprising that its mostly vacant, considering the owners had been planning for a hotel conversion.  They wouldn't be marketing towards and leasing up with office users if they were going to be kicking them out for a new use. The hotel market isn't currently as strong as it was in the past, mostly because of the glut of new rooms that have come on line recently, and thus we have a building sitting empty in an otherwise hot corner of town.

Also, so nice to have Michelle Jarboe back

• Like 6

6 hours ago, KJP said:

I saw this transfer earlier today and I'm trying to find out who the buyer is too. No luck so far....

I've checked every public record I can even think of and still no luck finding anything notable. And the corporation is unfortunately not listed by the Ohio SOS

^from the article:  "Public filings list a Denver-area phone number for the company, 1900 East 6th Street LLC, and a tax-mailing address that turned out to be a mailbox at a UPS store in Fairview Park."

All we have to do ---and we can do this in shifts--is hang out at the UPS store to see who comes in to check the mail and then talk to that person--even if its just a messenger going to collect the mail.

• Love 1
  • Haha 2

I've also dug through many public records including the deed transfer and so on and can't identify who the buyer is. So I've resorted to the old fashioned way and called the attorney who prepared the deed transfer (no return call yet) and reached out to a few other people. They don't seem to know either. I'll keep digging. 

• Like 1

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

13 minutes ago, bumsquare said:

Losing Ontario Street and Moriarty’s in a short stretch would hurt. Not many old dives left downtown. 

Hopefully Moriarty’s comes under new ownership though. With the current owner at the helm, I wouldn’t be surprised to see it closed in the near future. 

Driving this further off topic, the owner's ...nephew (I think?) came in about two or so years ago and was the major force for opening on the weekends and some other stuff. I used to go there more often when I was taking the bus and haven't been in in a while, but from what I could see the owner was giving some of the reigns to his relative.

• Like 1

Think about this... The day that The Beacon started construction in 2017 to some unknown point in the 2020s, there will have been a continuous and sometimes overlapping string of 20+ story buildings under construction in downtown Cleveland. This assumes that the City Club Apartments start construction late this summer, before the Lumen stops construction. Then the new Sherwin-Williams HQ starts construction, and some other planned buildings out there....

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Crains says Exacta Surveyors is moving 60 employees from the "Knights of Columbus" Building (2132 E 9th at Prospect) to the Post Office Plaza.  This makes me think "something" may be happening on the sw corner of Prospect and Ninth.  Brilliant deduction or did I miss something already known?

https://www.crainscleveland.com/real-estate/post-office-plaza-lands-tech-property-services-companies

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Es war ein heisser Nacht in Apalachicola als die asbest Vorhang gefällt.

2 minutes ago, Dougal said:

Crains says Exacta Surveyors is moving 60 employees from the "Knights of Columbus" Building (2132 E 9th at Prospect) to the Post Office Plaza.  This makes me think "something" may be happening on the sw corner of Prospect and Ninth.  Brilliant deduction or did I miss something already known?

https://www.crainscleveland.com/real-estate/post-office-plaza-lands-tech-property-services-companies

I've heard Bobby George is interested in that building.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, MyPhoneDead said:

Moving into the retail space?

They were working in between the retail space and the hotel/Parker’s entrance and I didn’t look too long so I can’t exactly say what they were doing.

• Like 1

About a year ago someone posted that an at&t store was moving in. But I haven't heard anything since. The problem is with some of these spaces they over value them on purpose and probably take a loss if they remain empty. Last time I checked they wanted like $85 dollars a sq. ft. Which is crazy.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, freethink said:

About a year ago someone posted that an at&t store was moving in. But I haven't heard anything since. The problem is with some of these spaces they over value them on purpose and probably take a loss if they remain empty. Last time I checked they wanted like $85 dollars a sq. ft. Which is crazy.

If they take a loss you would think they would do everything in their power to get someone in there. Strange. 

On 2/13/2020 at 6:00 AM, ExPatClevGuy said:

The article started out well enough, then went off the rails at the end.

"Brickhaus Partners' 95 Lake, located near Edgewater Park, is one of the closest "for sale" projects to downtown."

How did Brickhaus get in an article about for-sale units downtown? Besides that, there's a bunch of new construction townhome and single family homes for-sale closer to downtown than this.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, tykaps said:

I really like that Knez guy. He's doing urban stuff in Akron too. I thought it was pronounced Nezz not Ka-nezz. You learn something new everyday.

Some of the designs are mediocre though, but they have an opening for an architect on the website. I do interiors, or I'd apply and come back to Ohio. Get an UrbanOhioan Architect in that company and take it up a notch!!

Edited by metrocity
  • Like 4

@metrocity redirected here...

8 hours ago, metrocity said:

We had a conversation on a thread once. But I can't find the thread. I had been to an event in Chicago where Flats Chicago said they were venturing out of Chicago with their first project in another city, and it was Cleveland. They were known as Cedar Street too.  The company website is https://www.cedarst.com/

Website looks to be under some changes. The one original guy from Flats Chicago died and he was on a Bravo reality show called 100 days of summer. 

I'm told Cedar Street Properties may not be done with Cleveland when they're done with Church+State. Word is they're looking for projects and possibly partners for developing in downtown or nearby. A one-source rumor is that they want to build a high-rise downtown.

• Like 11
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 1

Die parking lots, die!

• Like 11
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 2

I am loving the idea of more condos in downtown instead of apartments, but the "modern" look is just so tiring to me.  I wish we could get some builders in Cleveland that do some of the things that DT Columbus has going on, the more traditional and classic Brownstone type style.  https://www.trulia.com/p/oh/columbus/230-e-gay-st-g23-columbus-oh-43215--2097062243

• Like 11

• MayDay locked this topic
41 minutes ago, KJP said:

How awesome would it be seeing a Downtown Loop Streetcar / Waterfront Line Extension making the turn at that intersection?  That would create a superior method for those "Project Site" residents to get to work, and an easy way for anyone near a Rapid station to get to classes at Tri-C (or CSU).

• Like 1

• MayDay locked and unlocked this topic

City of Cleveland prepares for changes in technology and innovation

https://www.crainscleveland.com/government/city-cleveland-prepares-changes-technology-and-innovation

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• MayDay locked this topic
  • MayDay unlocked this topic

Where the city of Cleveland's building permits and the values for them were filed in 2019:

ERjFoHbXkAIktHM?format=jpg&name=large

Cleveland ward map:

477-cleve-ward-map.png

Edited by KJP
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, KJP said:

Where the city of Cleveland's building permits and the values for them were filed in 2019:

ERjFoHbXkAIktHM?format=jpg&name=large

Where's the permits chart from? I'll see if I can juxtapose something in there with the Cleveland Wards.

I know it wasn't your intention on the original post, but here's a map that I put together based on 2017 internet data. From what I understand ISP's can cook the books pretty hard on the Form 477 data. If ONE person on the street has the download speeds that the government is asking for, it counts as covering the entire street...

2017_10down1up_Draft1_001.jpg

Edited by GISguy