Sign in to follow this  
GISguy

Urban Ohio Strava Group

I joined but realized that my online Strava account doesn't seem to be linked to the one on my phone, at least not since last September.  So I'm going to have to figure out what's going on...when I'm not at work.  I guess I created two logins without realizing it.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GISguy said:

Hi all, I created a Strava Group for Urban Ohio - https://www.strava.com/clubs/583367/ feel free to join, I think it could be a cool extension of the site.

And obligatory, mods feel free to blow this up if it's not kosher.

I for one had no clue what Strava was.  Can you give everyone an overview of what it is and how users can participate? 

• Like 1

So Strava is a fitness tracking app, most cyclists use it to track rides and see progress of other folks. I recognize it's not everyone's cup of tea, but honestly, if you're on a group ride, commute, or otherwise it's quite likely they're using strava. I figure it'd be cool to see what type of cycling activity other forumers are up to.

The idea was kind of inspired by the meetups we've had in Cleveland, as well as meeting other folks in passing- IMO meetups, strava, etc., can help humanize what's otherwise just a random username.

FWIW I'll use it for hikes, runs, XC skiing, etc., but pretty sure this group will only track bike rides.

Edit: I also realize calling it an 'extension of UO' was a bit much, if anything it's just cool to see what other forumers are up to.

@richNcincy

Edited by GISguy

10 hours ago, GISguy said:

I figure it'd be cool to see what type of cycling activity other forumers are up to.

The advent of Strava was pretty humbling for me.  The times the best guys (who aren't even pro) are putting up are simply unbelievable.  I find utilitarian cycling (i.e. bike commuting) to be very easy and borderline boring.  The so-called urbanist crowd seems to have all sorts of technical trouble with things that have always been easy to me (i.e. climbing Cincinnati's steep hills like Sycamore or Monastery, navigating streetcar tracks, etc.), but I'm unable to compete with the serious hobbyists.  What's really frustrating is when some guy comes along who is 18 or 19 and totally dusts you.  The general public has absolutely no idea how good the top amateur and pro cyclists are as compared to weekend warriors like myself. 

I'm pretty unusual in that I have always - going back to age 10 or so - preferred climbing to descending.  I'm pretty afraid to bomb a hill and don't get any sort of kick out of taking high-speed risks.  I do, by contrast, really like motoring up big hills.  You get a lot of compliments from passing drivers, people sitting on their porches, etc., when you pedal up a big hill or mountain without showing any sings of strain. 

I think what's tough is that in Ohio we always have 4-5 months of the year where you inevitably fall out of shape.  People in Southern California and the desert Southwest don't have this problem.  Luckily if you live in Cincinnati you can go out your door any time and do a serious hill ride.  Each of the hills has a bit of a personality of its own.  But you can't count on mountain biking regularly between December and May.  It's so frustrating when you have a clear weekend but the trails are closed. 

I use strava to help improve technique and test updates to my bikes as well as inspire my riding.  Its great to see the timed laps of the better and much lighter riders. I wish that there were all these amazing mtn bike trails when i was under 180lbs. 
So i mix riding the towpath to build stamina with quick intense jaunts on local mtn bike trails. It does seem that the trails don’t open until June when they finally dry out and its over 90 degrees with oppressive humidity for 3 months. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, audidave said:

Its great to see the timed laps of the better and much lighter riders. I wish that there were all these amazing mtn bike trails when i was under 180lbs. 

Yeah in the past I never had any idea how fast I was going or how much I improved throughout the year.  

I do think that Strava leads to some dangerous behavior since people get into a race mentality even though there is no race.  The roads or trails aren't closed, of course, so suddenly somebody walking their dog on a mtb trail becomes very annoying.  

Before Strava I had Runkeeper.  That app mapped your ride and gave you mile times.  That mile time statistic was hilarious because you had no idea where the "mile" started.  So you'd have a 25mph mile right after a 7mph mile if the mile happened to tick over right at the summit of a big hill, but the next time your rode the mile might have ticked halfway up and then halfway down, giving you a few unimpressive 14mph miles in a row!  

^Also, Runkeeper didn't stop ticking when you stopped at a stop light or stop sign.  So it unintentionally motivated you to illegally blow through intersections to try and beat your best time.