REP4Cleveland216

Cleveland: Crime & Safety Discussion

RISK OF CLOSURE

9 hours ago, MyTwoSense said:

OMG. This is terrible  I hope they catch this SOB.  

Now the bf is saying she jumped out after an argument, and the cops seem to be considering the possibility.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, E Rocc said:

Now the bf is saying she jumped out after an argument, and the cops seem to be considering the possibility.

This is actually more believable. I mean, how does someone throw another person out of a moving car, while driving? Still terrible.

Love the vigilante tactic. But nearly striking two people, one a child, with a 2,000 pound weapon should be more than a minor misdemeanor.

Our motor vehicle penalties really are much to lax.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Enginerd said:

Love the vigilante tactic. But nearly striking two people, one a child, with a 2,000 pound weapon should be more than a minor misdemeanor.

Our motor vehicle penalties really are much to lax.

That's because we treat driving as a right rather that a privilege. 

https://www.cleveland.com/metro/2019/11/man-threatens-to-kill-downtown-cleveland-bar-employee-during-robbery-police-say.html

Harris is a registered sex offender who has been convicted in 19 felony cases since 1994, including for burglary in 2019. He was sentenced to three years in prison in 2005 for abduction and gross sexual imposition. The victims in the case were 13 and 14 years old.

The fact this guy was ever allowed out of jail is really an indictment on the justice system. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Terdolph said:

Whatever happened to "three strikes and you're out"?

Apparently in Cuyahoga County it's "nineteen strikes and please keep terrorizing the community, thanks." 

• Sad 2

1575 Merwin used to be "Club Alchemy", no stranger to such things but long since closed.  The Flatiron is next door but closes much earlier.

Unlicensed club in operation?

1575.jpg

• Sad 1

Not a good Saturday night/Sunday morning. This would be a bad month for a large Canadian city....

Edited by KJP
  • Sad 1

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

This would be considered a bad half-year in a medium-sized Canadian city like Hamilton or Quebec....

8 people shot, 1 fatally, in 6 separate shootings on Cleveland's East Side Saturday

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/local-news/cleveland-metro/8-people-shot-1-fatally-in-6-separate-shootings-on-clevelands-east-side-saturday

• Sad 1

On 12/2/2019 at 4:27 PM, KJP said:

Not a good Saturday night/Sunday morning. This would be a bad month for a large Canadian city....

To me, sounds like those first three are related... i. e.  random shootings due to the close proximity to each other. 

Good article. Love the photos....

Notorious Cleveland gangster Shondor Birns' wild life and explosive death detailed in book (vintage photos)

https://www.cleveland.com/life-and-culture/g66l-2019/12/05de895e598298/notorious-cleveland-gangster-shondor-birns-wild-life-and-explosive-death-detailed-in-book-vintage-photos.html

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KJP said:

Man that photo of 55th/Woodland.   Unbelievable!   

Also--true to PD form several of the photos are misdated, labeled 1953 with 60's era cars in the photos.    

• Like 2

I don't trust Bill Barr that this is anything more than targeting minorities...

Barr announces crackdown targeting violent crime in seven US cities

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/475156-barr-announces-crackdown-targeting-violent-crime-in-seven-us-cities

• Like 1

On 12/15/2019 at 2:16 PM, KJP said:

Notorious Cleveland gangster Shondor Birns' wild life and explosive death detailed in book (vintage photos)

https://www.cleveland.com/life-and-culture/g66l-2019/12/05de895e598298/notorious-cleveland-gangster-shondor-birns-wild-life-and-explosive-death-detailed-in-book-vintage-photos.html

He drops his bomb so casually.   (Pun intended).   I'm hoping for clarification later on.

31 minutes ago, KJP said:

I don't trust Bill Barr that this is anything more than targeting minorities...

Barr announces crackdown targeting violent crime in seven US cities

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/475156-barr-announces-crackdown-targeting-violent-crime-in-seven-us-cities

Keep in mind that the victims of these particular criminals are disproportionately minorities as well.

I suspect this has more to do with the attempted federalization of law enforcement that the non-statist right has long opposed.

Even reference “The West Wing” when Bartlett interviews Judge Mulready.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cavalier Attitude said:

I doubt these federal law enforcement officers are big on "community policing". What are they going to be doing?

Cherry picking.   Much like OSP "helping" by running radar on the interstates rather than patrolling neighborhoods.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, E Rocc said:

Cherry picking.   Much like OSP "helping" by running radar on the interstates rather than patrolling neighborhoods.

Their mission is not really to patrol. They enforce traffic laws on state routes and highways. They don't answer calls for service like the traditional police. On top of that there has already been jurisdictional fights between them and the city. 

The 71 million will be going to local governments to hire local police. We are so short staffed in our specialized departments due to retirements and ramping up that federal help would be appreciated in the short term. Most of our patrol officers literally go from call to call, especially in the fourth district. Due to the need to keep patrol staffed they haven't been replacing people in specialized units. We put through 150 officers a year and lose 100 to retirement and other things. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, KFM44107 said:

Their mission is not really to patrol. They enforce traffic laws on state routes and highways. They don't answer calls for service like the traditional police. On top of that there has already been jurisdictional fights between them and the city. 

The 71 million will be going to local governments to hire local police. We are so short staffed in our specialized departments due to retirements and ramping up that federal help would be appreciated in the short term. Most of our patrol officers literally go from call to call, especially in the fourth district. Due to the need to keep patrol staffed they haven't been replacing people in specialized units. We put through 150 officers a year and lose 100 to retirement and other things. 

From context, I take it you're with CPD?   

I was just observing recently that the specialized units seem very short handed lately.   Particularly auto theft and homicide.

As for the latter, it does seem to me that the city is a lot safer for the general public than the numbers would indicate, and most homicides or near misses are tied to gangs and the drug trade.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, E Rocc said:

From context, I take it you're with CPD?   

I was just observing recently that the specialized units seem very short handed lately.   Particularly auto theft and homicide.

As for the latter, it does seem to me that the city is a lot safer for the general public than the numbers would indicate, and most homicides or near misses are tied to gangs and the drug trade.  

I'm in the academy presently. Homicides are pretty steady but violent crimes in general are up. You are absolutely correct that most of it is gang related or drug trade (heroin related). Heroin is such a big issue and it takes alot of man hours from police to handle situations with ODs and violence.

Alot of our resources are being pushed to handle that straining other departments even further. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not saying this didn’t happen, and not saying crime takes a break on a holiday.. but more times than not safety forces arrive and learn these calls are not as advertised.

Merry Christmas everyone!  Support local business, enjoy a Great Lakes Xmas Ale!

• Like 3

Moving conversation about the shooting that happened outside of Medusa:

3 hours ago, roman totale XVII said:

It’s certainly the second, possibly the third, shooting incident at that club in the last 12 months or so. 

On top of the other shootings, there are weekly street races happening right outside the club late at night around 2am/3am. While I agree with you @inlovewithCLE, Medusa is wild at best. Celebrities visiting is at the bottom of the list when it comes to building and maintaining a safe downtown/neighborhood. If we want celebrities to visit/live here, we need to make sure shootings and street racing are not occurring.

Side Note: it's ridiculous the police haven't caught onto the street racing yet. It also takes place on Prospect Ave with patrons from Chicago’s Home of Chicken & Waffles. The restaurant occasionally turns into a club at night.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, downtownjoe said:

Side Note: it's ridiculous the police haven't caught onto the street racing yet. It also takes place on Prospect Ave with patrons from Chicago’s Home of Chicken & Waffles. The restaurant occasionally turns into a club at night.

I'm surprised about Chicago's Home. I went there with my wife to catch some live jazz and have dinner and it seemed like a laid back place. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, freefourur said:

I'm surprised about Chicago's Home. I went there with my wife to catch some live jazz and have dinner and it seemed like a laid back place. 

Over the last few months, I've heard and seen some things on Prospect outside of the restaurant that I never saw in the past three years:

Fights
Nothing out of the ordinary for a place that has a drunk crowd. The bad part is these fights usually spill onto the street and it looks like a scene from a Saturday night on West 6th except there are no police or law enforcement to be found. I wish they'd keep it on the sidewalk or elsewhere and quit forcing people driving down the road to reroute their drive and residents on the street to lose sleep.

Street racing
This is the most aggravating one. Cars and motorcycles speeding from East 14th and Prospect down to East 9th and Prospect. I did some "research" out of my window which has a view of the entire street and patrons from the restaurant after close were involved in every aspect of the race (driving, filming, cheering, etc.). Next morning you'll walk down to broken bottles of wine or liquor on the sidewalks where the same people were seen cheering, screaming, filming, etc. All of this happens after close (2am/3am).

I know a place can't be responsible for their patrons after they leave their establishment. Overall, it's a bad look for the city. Prospect is starting to come back to life with places like Chicago's home, Domino's, a yoga place, a dispensary, businesses, condo/apartments, etc. but the only time I see law enforcement or the city caring about the street is when there's a parking ban. These street races/street brawls and broken bottles littering the sidewalk should be of the cities concern.

• Sad 1

I do remember one of the front windows was boarded up because we sat the bar and it felt cold. I wonder if some fighting was the cause of the busted window.

The place is not the issue, bad people are the issue!  Bad people are white, black, purple and green.  The question I have is what compels anyone to pull out a gun to show how tough they are?  The deeper issue is understanding the social economic reasons for this behavior and beginning to address it. I believe this is happening with some very positive improvement in the schools.  As second area starts at home and I will not share my thoughts on this as it is too complicated.

There also needs to be steeper consequences for ones actions.  For instance, in New York, if you are in criminal position of a firearm, its automatically 1 year term.  Just ask Plaxico Burress.  While Ohio has different firearm laws, there needs to be more effective deterrent.   Just a few thoughts on my end.

Good lord. The other day I was just making fun of my Floridian gf because news stations in FLA had warning segments against this sort of thing. I had no idea people actually did this in this country.

Turns out the victim and the shooter in this case were friends of friends of mine. They both worked in popular restaurants. 

https://www.cleveland.com/crime/2020/01/cleveland-man-charged-in-girlfriends-death-while-firing-celebratory-gunshots-new-years-day.html

• Sad 1

Funny how certain people love to accuse the Admins and Mods of being “trigger happy” when it comes to shutting bullsh!t down, especially when it’s not their time and effort being used to clean things up and keep threads on topic. Seems like a microcosm in some ways... 🤔 

• Like 1

Triple-3-alarm fire

For you East Siders, Lido Lounge is a strip club that's been there for decades. One can only imagine what this "knife fight" was about......

^The Lido Lounge. Dan Polk talked about that place on one of his CD's. Talked about the quality talent there and the outrageous $2 cover charge.

6 hours ago, Pugu said:

^The Lido Lounge. Dan Polk talked about that place on one of his CD's. Talked about the quality talent there and the outrageous $2 cover charge.

Worst place in town from a dancer's perspective, and only the Amber on Brookpark even comes close.   None of the women I've known over the years would even consider working there.   Nasty facilities, poor treatment by management, and often indifferent security.   Departure time is supposedly a free for all, at the more dancer friendly clubs it can resemble a military operation.   (I've seen Amber's, it was bad, but a friend told me Lido makes Amber look like the Executive Den years ago,  or one of the Horses in this regard.)

The customers get away with a lot.   Combine that with the conditions for the dancers, and one can imagine the quality of both.

Edited by E Rocc

This topic is being closely monitored by admins and mods and it will be locked if rules are not being followed!