Jump to content
REP4Cleveland216

Cleveland: Crime & Safety Discussion

Recommended Posts

On 8/19/2019 at 8:40 AM, YABO713 said:

Hey all,

 

So I am doing what I do so often - turning to my UrbanOhio family for some advice. 

 

Five months ago, one familial unit of about 11 people, aged from parents to an 11 year old (most in their early 20s) moved across the street from us. The house had been occupied prior by a lovely, elderly black man that used to make me beef jerky (We miss Hank) - and the family that now occupies it would be described in the most politically correct way possible as "economically anxious" and "forgotten America" or as my wife so lovingly puts it - "the trashiest of trash in America." 

 

......do you have any advice to share on how best to deal with it? Should I just ignore it? Thanks y'all. 

 

Hey YABO713---was thinking about your bad neighbor problem.  Why not reach out directly to the owners of the house---who gave these people a lease---and complain to them directly?  And have all your neighbors do it as well. And repeatedly.  And you're a lawyer, right? Tell them if they don't pull the tenants in line (or evict them) you'll file suit again them (the owners) for nuisance or loss of enjoyment or rights to fully use your property or whatever. And all your neighbors as well.  Basically, go after the property owner. Dealing with the low-lifes directly won't get you anywhere (except maybe a few smashed windows one night) and the city itself has bigger problems.  Hope this helps!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely a crazy weekend in North Collinwood, and that's not even including the guy that ran his boat onto the rocks in my "front yard" early this morning.

 

Shooting on E. 165th at Villaview

Shooting on E. 147th just south of Lakeshore.

Murder victim found on South Waterloo, right in front of the Executive Den (found early afternoon, almost certainly unrelated to the biz).

Another one Sunday afternoon, not far away on South Waterloo.  

https://www.cleveland.com/crime/2019/09/man-killed-in-drive-by-shooting-in-clevelands-collinwood-neighborhood.html
(Edit:  it may have been only one on South Waterloo, the stories were all over the place).

 

There were also shootings today on E. 123 near the freeway and the Harvard-Lee area.

Edited by E Rocc
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whoa....

 

 

  • Sad 2

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know. We already have enough problems with legally prescribed opioids. Imagine if anyone can now access methadone or benzodiazepines - that might be cause a few issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some drugs are so nasty they should remain illegal -- crack, heroin, PCP, etc.


"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, I wouldn't think so. Question is, where did it come from? 

 

 

  • Haha 1

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So much tragedy...

 

 


"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/2/2019 at 8:46 AM, KJP said:

UPS driver shot several times on Cleveland’s East Side in serious condition

https://www.cleveland19.com/2019/10/01/ups-driver-shot-several-times-clevelands-east-side-serious-condition/

 

Jesus...every city has a bad neighborhood with segregated poor residents but why do these residents have to be poor AND so violent? Especially to strangers like a damn UPS driver, who was probably minding his own business and just doing his job to earn a paycheck? This is beyond disturbing and I can't imagine what kind of tar pit and hell east Cleveland is. Screw Mexico, build a wall around east Cleveland. The residents there are the true savages. 

 

  • Poison 5
  • Dislike 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/5/2019 at 11:37 PM, troeros said:

 

Jesus...every city has a bad neighborhood with segregated poor residents but why do these residents have to be poor AND so violent? Especially to strangers like a damn UPS driver, who was probably minding his own business and just doing his job to earn a paycheck? This is beyond disturbing and I can't imagine what kind of tar pit and hell east Cleveland is. Screw Mexico, build a wall around east Cleveland. The residents there are the true savages

 

 So EVERYONE that lives in EAST CLEVELAND is a savage?  You personally know each resident?  I don't know what you mean, I only know and can respond to what you've written.  Based on what you've written, it is disingenuous to categorize all EC residents in one way/manner/description!

 

Your comment is garbage.

Edited by MyTwoSense
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MyTwoSense said:

 So EVERYONE that lives in EAST CLEVELAND is a savage?  You personally know each resident?  I don't know what you mean, I only know and can respond to what you've written.  Based on what you've written, it is disingenuous to categorize all EC residents in one way/manner/description!

 

Your comment is garbage.

 

Good answer.  I had trouble coming up with one that didn't include bad language.   So much wrong here.

 

The irony is he's talking about the east side of Cleveland.   Not the suburb "East Cleveland".  There's a difference.  So he wants to fence in half the city.   The half where I live.

 

Oh, a mailman got killed in Maple Heights so I guess the town where I grew up, where some of my friends and more of their parents still live gets fenced in too.

 

The saddest irony here is the people who live there are the main victims of this.   In many ways.   Truth is, they are disproportionately the victims.   The ones whose houses get sprayed up because it's in a rival gang's turf and a resident's second cousin is friends with a member.   (Danny Greene and Gen Ciasullo are both spinning in their graves over that kind of stuff).   

 

It's sure as hell not white suburbanites.   They are safe when they venture there.  In case they are there to buy drugs, they are under the very aggressive protection of the gang that runs that turf.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was talking to an old Wash DC policeman during the shoot-em-up 90s when DC's violent crime rate was league-leading. After somebody brought up a particularly gruesome execution-style murder, he said, "This stuff - and worse - has always gone on; it just didn't get reported before." A old hand from the WaPo countered that it did get reported, but in a statistical way that left the personal details out. I don't know if today's horrifying accounts are doing any more social good than yesteryear's dry stats, but we're certainly more aware of the horrors.

 

DC attributes it current much-lower crime numbers to adding population back. Other things, too, but mostly just putting 150,000 people back living in what had been high-crime districts. That will probably work for Cleveland, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look I apologise for my strong language. It's one thing to hear when someone is shot to death because of drug related violence, an angry dispute, etc. By an large most shooters know the victim to some extent. 

 

But when it's a random stranger who was doing his job to earn a paycheck to support himself and gets brutally shot is just so horrible to hear. 

 

Violence by and large is brought by childhood/teenage trauma. No one wants to inheritely cause pain and suffering to others unless onset by a genetical psychological disorder (which is a different matter all together). 

 

I just think of these residents and have to stop and think how much pain and suffering they have experienced and it makes me want to cry. These shooters were once happy, smiling, laughing babies and there environment has ultimately damaged them to hell and back and it just makes me want to breakdown because I can honestly feel the pain, the suffering, the hurt. So much damn hurt...and what can we do to help? Pretty much nothing. So the pain and suffering will continue for them, and their babies. A never ending cycle. 

Edited by troeros
  • Dislike 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/7/2019 at 12:41 PM, troeros said:

Look I apologise for my strong language. It's one thing to hear when someone is shot to death because of drug related violence, an angry dispute, etc. By an large most shooters know the victim to some extent. 

 

But when it's a random stranger who was doing his job to earn a paycheck to support himself and gets brutally shot is just so horrible to hear. 

 

Violence by and large is brought by childhood/teenage trauma. No one wants to inheritely cause pain and suffering to others unless onset by a genetical psychological disorder (which is a different matter all together). 

 

I just think of these residents and have to stop and think how much pain and suffering they have experienced and it makes me want to cry. These shooters were once happy, smiling, laughing babies and there environment has ultimately damaged them to hell and back and it just makes me want to breakdown because I can honestly feel the pain, the suffering, the hurt. So much damn hurt...and what can we do to help? Pretty much nothing. So the pain and suffering will continue for them, and their babies. A never ending cycle. 

 

I hear ya, but it's important not to unduly group the victims with the perps.   Yes, some of the residents and a lot of the politicians (in office and otherwise) qualify as enablers.  But assuming people are your adversaries at best is a self fulfilling prophecy if there ever was one.

 

I would say violent outlooks are caused more by role models than trauma.   The solution:  it has to be internal.   Start with some modicum of respect for innocent life.  Hell, even organized crime had that, fifty years ago.   And if you're in power, don't be afraid to call out the problem people.   

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, E Rocc said:

 

I hear ya, but it's important not to unduly group the victims with the perps.   Yes, some of the residents and a lot of the politicians (in office and otherwise) qualify as enablers.  But assuming people are your adversaries at best is a self fulfilling prophecy if there ever was one.

 

I would say violent outlooks are caused more by role models than trauma.   The solution:  it has to be internal.   Start with some modicum of respect for innocent life.  Hell, even organized crime had that, fifty years ago.   And if you're in power, don't be afraid to call out the problem people.   

 

But that's the thing they didn't have role models. They were abandoned like dirt. Absent fathers, mother's with 6 kids, no one cared, no one cares. Why should they care about there life? Someone else's? They are gone, always was since they took their first breath in this world. I want to give them a hug, show them I care. Somehow. 

  • Like 1
  • Poison 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/7/2019 at 12:41 PM, troeros said:

Look I apologise for my strong language. It's one thing to hear when someone is shot to death because of drug related violence, an angry dispute, etc. By an large most shooters know the victim to some extent. 

 

But when it's a random stranger who was doing his job to earn a paycheck to support himself and gets brutally shot is just so horrible to hear. 

 

Violence by and large is brought by childhood/teenage trauma. No one wants to inheritely cause pain and suffering to others unless onset by a genetical psychological disorder (which is a different matter all together). 

 

I just think of these residents and have to stop and think how much pain and suffering they have experienced and it makes me want to cry. These shooters were once happy, smiling, laughing babies and there environment has ultimately damaged them to hell and back and it just makes me want to breakdown because I can honestly feel the pain, the suffering, the hurt. So much damn hurt...and what can we do to help? Pretty much nothing. So the pain and suffering will continue for them, and their babies. A never ending cycle. 

 

You lumped a lot of people into one bag.  That is ridiculous no matter how many times you apologize.  it's implicit bias.  I live on the eastside and resent being labeled a savage.

 

You write this as if every person who is not at a certain financial or social status is a criminal or lowlife.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, MyTwoSense said:

 

You lumped a lot of people into one bag.  That is ridiculous no matter how many times you apologize.  it's implicit bias.  I live on the eastside and resent being labeled a savage.

 

You write this as if every person who is not at a certain financial or social status is a criminal or lowlife.

 

That's not what implying at all. I'm saying poverty and social status is the catalyst towards criminal behavior. There have been numerous countless studies done on the link between socioeconomics and the vulnerability towards increased violence and criminal behavior. I wrote a whole thesis on this very subject matter in grad school. 

 

Calling them savages was incorrect and wrong of me and I sincerely apologise for that indecent comment.

Edited by troeros
  • Dislike 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, troeros said:

 

That's not what implying at all. I'm saying poverty and social status is the catalyst towards criminal behavior. There have been numerous countless studies done on the link between socioeconomics and the vulnerability towards increased violence and criminal behavior. I wrote a whole thesis on this very subject matter in grad school. 

 

Calling them savages was incorrect and wrong of me and I sincerely apologise for that indecent comment.

 

I only know what you've written.  Not what you "mean".  I don't care what you're thesis is about, you have labeled a group as one thing.  

 

I'm done with this, we are not going to agree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, troeros said:

 

But that's the thing they didn't have role models. They were abandoned like dirt. Absent fathers, mother's with 6 kids, no one cared, no one cares. Why should they care about there life? Someone else's? They are gone, always was since they took their first breath in this world. I want to give them a hug, show them I care. Somehow. 

 

Everybody has role models.  What they didn't have was good role models.   For example, every son of a single mom saw her boyfriends as role models, no matter how much she (and her guy) didn't want that.  That's human nature.   I have to watch for that myself, since I have a daughter.

 

Barring that, the guys who had "respect" on the street are their role models.

 

Correlation is not necessarily causation, and pre-providing excuses can be as bad as dismissal

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, MyTwoSense said:

 

You lumped a lot of people into one bag.  That is ridiculous no matter how many times you apologize.  it's implicit bias.  I live on the eastside and resent being labeled a savage.

 

You write this as if every person who is not at a certain financial or social status is a criminal or lowlife.

 

I live there too, and MTS and I are pretty close to as different as it gets here, outlook wise anyway.

 

Both of us are light years away, mindset wise, from the perps of this crime.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, KJP said:

WTF??

 

Woman dead after being thrown out of car on I-90 in downtown Cleveland during rush-hour

https://www.cleveland.com/metro/2019/10/woman-dead-after-being-thrown-out-of-car-on-i-90-in-downtown-cleveland-during-rush-hour.html

 

Facebook version, from someone who claims to be her cousin, says abusive boyfriend did it.   She was pregnant, too.  😞   I believe that's double murder in Ohio, say hi to the needle.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/22/2019 at 7:46 AM, E Rocc said:

 

Facebook version, from someone who claims to be her cousin, says abusive boyfriend did it.   She was pregnant, too.  😞   I believe that's double murder in Ohio, say hi to the needle.

OMG. This is terrible  I hope they catch this SOB.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, MyTwoSense said:

OMG. This is terrible  I hope they catch this SOB.  

 

Now the bf is saying she jumped out after an argument, and the cops seem to be considering the possibility.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, E Rocc said:

 

Now the bf is saying she jumped out after an argument, and the cops seem to be considering the possibility.

 

This is actually more believable. I mean, how does someone throw another person out of a moving car, while driving? Still terrible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love the vigilante tactic. But nearly striking two people, one a child, with a 2,000 pound weapon should be more than a minor misdemeanor.

 

Our motor vehicle penalties really are much to lax.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Enginerd said:

Love the vigilante tactic. But nearly striking two people, one a child, with a 2,000 pound weapon should be more than a minor misdemeanor.

 

Our motor vehicle penalties really are much to lax.

That's because we treat driving as a right rather that a privilege. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ Very true, but how else can we get a government ID card, er, I mean driving license, into everyone’s hands?

  • Like 1

And they reckon that the last thing she saw in her life was
Sting, singing on the roof of the Barbican

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.cleveland.com/metro/2019/11/man-threatens-to-kill-downtown-cleveland-bar-employee-during-robbery-police-say.html

 

Harris is a registered sex offender who has been convicted in 19 felony cases since 1994, including for burglary in 2019. He was sentenced to three years in prison in 2005 for abduction and gross sexual imposition. The victims in the case were 13 and 14 years old.

 

The fact this guy was ever allowed out of jail is really an indictment on the justice system. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Terdolph said:

Whatever happened to "three strikes and you're out"?

Apparently in Cuyahoga County it's "nineteen strikes and please keep terrorizing the community, thanks." 

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1575 Merwin used to be "Club Alchemy", no stranger to such things but long since closed.  The Flatiron is next door but closes much earlier.

 

Unlicensed club in operation?

1575.jpg

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Might be a rave.


"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a good Saturday night/Sunday morning. This would be a bad month for a large Canadian city....

 

 

Edited by KJP
  • Sad 1

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This would be considered a bad half-year in a medium-sized Canadian city like Hamilton or Quebec....

 

8 people shot, 1 fatally, in 6 separate shootings on Cleveland's East Side Saturday

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/local-news/cleveland-metro/8-people-shot-1-fatally-in-6-separate-shootings-on-clevelands-east-side-saturday

  • Sad 1

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/2/2019 at 4:27 PM, KJP said:

Not a good Saturday night/Sunday morning. This would be a bad month for a large Canadian city....

 

 

 To me, sounds like those first three are related... i. e.  random shootings due to the close proximity to each other. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good article. Love the photos....

 

Notorious Cleveland gangster Shondor Birns' wild life and explosive death detailed in book (vintage photos)

https://www.cleveland.com/life-and-culture/g66l-2019/12/05de895e598298/notorious-cleveland-gangster-shondor-birns-wild-life-and-explosive-death-detailed-in-book-vintage-photos.html

  • Like 1

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, KJP said:

Good article. Love the photos....

 

Man that photo of 55th/Woodland.   Unbelievable!   

 

Also--true to PD form several of the photos are misdated, labeled 1953 with 60's era cars in the photos.    

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't trust Bill Barr that this is anything more than targeting minorities...

 

Barr announces crackdown targeting violent crime in seven US cities

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/475156-barr-announces-crackdown-targeting-violent-crime-in-seven-us-cities

  • Like 1

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/15/2019 at 2:16 PM, KJP said:

Good article. Love the photos....

 

Notorious Cleveland gangster Shondor Birns' wild life and explosive death detailed in book (vintage photos)

https://www.cleveland.com/life-and-culture/g66l-2019/12/05de895e598298/notorious-cleveland-gangster-shondor-birns-wild-life-and-explosive-death-detailed-in-book-vintage-photos.html

 

He drops his bomb so casually.   (Pun intended).   I'm hoping for clarification later on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...