KJP

Cleveland: Downtown: 55 Public Square Restoration

That's great to see the progress. And some more news.....

55+Public+Square-June2019.jpg

WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 13, 2019

Cleveland's first Modernist tower to be remodeled

As owner Optima Management Group describes their property, 55 Public Square is a "Class B office building in a Class A location."

That location is about to get even valuable with a planned $73.6 million remodeling of the former headquarters of The Cleveland Electric Illuminating Co., now a part of First Energy. When the 24-story office building opened in 1958, it was Cleveland's first glass curtain wall skyscraper.

MORE:

https://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2019/11/clevelands-first-modernist-tower-to-be.html

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities."-Voltaire

37 minutes ago, KJP said:

As owner Optima Management Group describes their property, 55 Public Square is a "Class B office building in a Class A location."

That location is about to get even valuable with a planned $73.6 million remodeling of the former headquarters of The Cleveland Electric Illuminating Co., now a part of First Energy. When the 24-story office building opened in 1958, it was Cleveland's first glass curtain wall skyscraper.

MORE:

https://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2019/11/clevelands-first-modernist-tower-to-be.html

Great news @KJP! Hopefully the exterior of the building doesn’t change too much. I’ve always though it was a beautiful example of the style.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, LlamaLawyer said:

Great news @KJP! Hopefully the exterior of the building doesn’t change too much. I’ve always though it was a beautiful example of the style.

The exterior appearance cannot change if the historic tax credits are approved.

• Like 4

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities."-Voltaire

1 hour ago, KJP said:

The exterior appearance cannot change if the historic tax credits are approved.

New, different appearing glass shouldn’t affect the tax credit. I’m sure the existing panes aren’t efficient at all. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, marty15 said:

New, different appearing glass shouldn’t affect the tax credit. I’m sure the existing panes aren’t efficient at all. 

Oh, I have no doubts they will replace the glass. But I thought the state doesn't approve any improvements that would change the physical appearance of a building that receives historic tax credits? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KJP said:

MORE:

I’m very happy this is being renovated, but it does bother me that the funding is overwhelmingly coming from money stolen from the people of Ukraine. 

https://www.cleveland.com/court-justice/2019/04/ukrainian-oligarch-with-ties-to-downtown-cleveland-real-estate-under-fbi-investigation.html?outputType=amp

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

59 minutes ago, KJP said:

Oh, I have no doubts they will replace the glass. But I thought the state doesn't approve any improvements that would change the physical appearance of a building that receives historic tax credits? 

The Midtown at 3101 Euclid is going through the same process with tax credits. Both buildings were constructed at the same time. It would be interesting to compare to two projects to see if they encounter similar successes and difficulties once both are completed.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Boomerang_Brian said:

I’m very happy this is being renovated, but it does bother me that the funding is overwhelmingly coming from money stolen from the people of Ukraine. 

https://www.cleveland.com/court-justice/2019/04/ukrainian-oligarch-with-ties-to-downtown-cleveland-real-estate-under-fbi-investigation.html?outputType=amp

Unfortunately that has been the trend, with foreign oligarchs and foreign nationals investing heavily in US real estate and various business ventures. It does have the tendency to raise concerns about money laundering, hence the investigation above.

• Like 1

Great news about 55 Public Square! I’m always impressed with the journalistic work of KJP- thank you! Just referring to the appearance of the tower (having not been inside it) I think it has aged very well stylistically and looks young for its age. Just fantastic to see the continued investment and energy downtown. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, KJP said:

MORE:

I share in the sentiment of other forum member's with regards to 'The Illuminating Co. Building' at 55 Public Square. I have also thought that this building has aged quite gracefully over the past 61 years.

I love the original glass curtain exterior and my hope is that it can be emulated with energy efficient glass that doesn't drastically alter it's 1950s era look and appeal.

I would've personally loved to see this converted to apartments or even condominiums for purchase.

Edited by John D. Baumgardner
  • Like 5
  • Dislike 1

38 minutes ago, John D. Baumgardner said:

I love the original glass curtain exterior and my hope is that it can be emulated with energy efficient glass that doesn't drastically alter it's 1950s era look and appeal.

It's nice to see the Terminal Tower reflection in the glass.  

• Like 3

I’ve occasionally heard this building compared to the Lever House in NYC which was beautifully restored many years ago. Some lighter glass would brighten up 55 Public Square. I think it’s a great building, I just wish they would do something about that awful parking garage/surface lot combo Behind it. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Frmr CLEder said:

Has anything replaced John Q's?  That was a great steakhouse with great cocktails.

Nope. It's been empty for six years now.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Boomerang_Brian said:

Vladinhood

4 hours ago, MayDay said:

I preferred the original "55" lighting but hopefully the restoration does the building justice.

image.png

The Feds did a nice (but very expensive) redo of the Federal Bldg. This could turn out to be another good project but I do like the "55" on top.

9 hours ago, Frmr CLEder said:

Has anything replaced John Q's?  That was a great steakhouse with great cocktails.

8 hours ago, KJP said:

Nope. It's been empty for six years now.

I was just thinking about John Qs.  It was the place to be "seen" back in the day.  I love that place.

• Like 2

Two pics on a sunny day

55 Public Square-111619-KJP-1.jpg

55 Public Square-111619-KJP-2CROP.jpg

Edited by KJP
  • Like 3

^Nice reflection of Terminal Tower.

Hopefully SW doesn’t build over three stories on the Jacobs lot and block that beautiful view. 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, MyTwoSense said:

They are very similar and timeless.

Yeah, the facade just looks tired and worn. They could replace all the vision glass and spandrel glass and mullions with the exact same products they used in the 50s and it would look 1000% fresher and new actually.

I wonder how much they can modify the appearance given their financing structure? Will it have to look exactly the same or could they make it look more like Ernst and Young or the Celebreeze building's new protective cover?

Edited by Mov2Ohio
  • Like 1