Sign in to follow this  
ColDayMan

Geography

Random topic for geography stuff.  Found these maps which show the true size of countries versus the Mercator projection.

mercator-vs-truesize.gif

• Like 1

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

I pretty much use Google Earth for all my geographic needs these days.  No projection issues!

• Haha 1

When I grew up we always had a globe in the house, I played with it all the time. Now, I haven't seen a globe in years. Do classrooms still have them? I saw a great antique one at auction years ago but it sold for > $600

On 10/19/2019 at 3:19 PM, Ram23 said:

When I grew up we always had a globe in the house, I played with it all the time. Now, I haven't seen a globe in years. Do classrooms still have them? I saw a great antique one at auction years ago but it sold for > $600

Same. My grandparents had a really fancy, freestanding one you'd put in the corner of a study. Every time I visited them, I would spin it. Every time I would eventually get my fingers caught.

good thread and oh geez that is a jaw-dropping map. 

here is another -- the mediterranean over the usa.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, mrnyc said:

good thread and oh geez that is a jaw-dropping map. 

here is another -- the mediterranean over the usa.

spacer.png

People don't get that most of Europe is WAY further north than the bulk of the Lower 48.  Or that Cleveland is further south than some of the Mediterranean coast.  

Or that LA is at roughly the same latitude as Atlanta, and how much further south Miami is than San Diego.   

Another fun one is that the Northwest Territory states, when counted as one land mass and population, are almost exactly the same as California in both statistical columns.  

Completely unrelated to anything posted yet...Upper Michigan needs to become it's own state.

*and I also have a nice old globe in a walnut stand that is about 35 years old. Still has the old Soviet Union on it and everything.  Got it as an Xmas gift before there was the internet and all. Gawd I am old.

Edited by Toddguy

This guy took 5 whole years to hand-draw a map of North America. 

North America: Portrait of a Continent is drawn completely by hand with colour pencil and pen. It is a 5 x 4 feet (150 x 120 cm) perspective projection of the entire region, spanning from Alaska to Panama; Greenland to the Caribbean. There are tens of thousands of features, including 600 individual cities and towns.

https://www.antonthomasart.com/the-north-american-continent.html

midwest-map-art-anton-thomas_orig.jpg

• Like 3

I mean, props to THAT!

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers