Sign in to follow this  
Guest grasscat

Portsmouth: OH 823 bypass news

On 12/13/2018 at 4:23 PM, jmecklenborg said:

I was told that they chose to build directly through the hills in order to avoid eminent domain battles and "impacting" area residents. 

I guess, when money's no object ... bring in the dynamite!

I spent some time in SE Ohio this past weekend and saw the completed bypass with my own eyes for the first time. I really struggle to understand the purpose of this massive investment. Sure, it will cut about 10 minutes off of the drive between Columbus, Ohio and Huntington, WV. I can't think of any other major city pair that benefits from this bypass. Is that really worth $1.2 billion of taxpayer money over the next 35 years? This extremely expensive highway segment might make sense as part of a larger project like the I-74 extension, but I fail to see how this bypass makes any sense on its own.

• Like 1

Same state government that turned away federal funds to pay the entire capital cost for a three-C train service.  I'll never really get over the juxtaposition of that decision with this insane highway project.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, taestell said:

I spent some time in SE Ohio this past weekend and saw the completed bypass with my own eyes for the first time. I really struggle to understand the purpose of this massive investment. Sure, it will cut about 10 minutes off of the drive between Columbus, Ohio and Huntington, WV. I can't think of any other major city pair that benefits from this bypass. Is that really worth $1.2 billion of taxpayer money over the next 35 years? This extremely expensive highway segment might make sense as part of a larger project like the I-74 extension, but I fail to see how this bypass makes any sense on its own.

"Too many semis were crashing on Rosemount hill" and "Too many semis were jamming up 23 and 52 in Portsmouth and New Boston".