Columbus: Downtown: Discovery District / Warehouse District / CSCC Developments and News

5 hours ago, Toddguy said:

That red building is going to be much better looking than I had thought. I had railed against it but it will be much better(the red color)than I had thought.

Agreed. And part of me wants to make that corner of downtown a 'rainbow district' with more brightly colored buildings to play off the school and arts etc. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Columbus State wants to spend $441M on building improvements — and may ask voters to help pay for it

aquinashall*1024xx853-480-0-257.jpg

The plan could be funded using a variety of sources: state funding, fundraising and a potential bond issuance. However, a college official said the prospect of asking voters to approve a bond issuance would be considered at a later date.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2019/09/25/columbus-state-wants-to-spend-441m-on-building.html

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

24 minutes ago, ColDayMan said:

Columbus State wants to spend $441M on building improvements — and may ask voters to help pay for it

aquinashall*1024xx853-480-0-257.jpg

The plan could be funded using a variety of sources: state funding, fundraising and a potential bond issuance. However, a college official said the prospect of asking voters to approve a bond issuance would be considered at a later date.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2019/09/25/columbus-state-wants-to-spend-441m-on-building.html

Very interesting.  Especially the part about "asking voters to approve a bond issuance would be considered at a later date".  What they are referring to is a new ability granted by the Ohio Legislature (aka, the State of Ohio) that allows "the board of trustees of a state community college district to propose a property tax levy for permanent improvements, or a combination bond issuance and tax levy for permanent improvements,” according to the Ohio Legislative Service Commission (from the article).

Also according to the article:

“This is a comprehensive roadmap for all of the facilities updates and upgrades that would prepare the college for the foreseeable future,” Brent Wilder, director of strategic communications, told Columbus Business First.  The plan could be funded using a variety of sources: state funding, fundraising and a potential bond issuance.

Wilder said the prospect of asking voters to approve a bond issuance would be considered at a later date.  He said it's too soon to know how much the bond issuance would raise and what it would cost voters per year.  The first opportunity to put such a bond issuance on the ballot would be March of 2020.

Wilder says it’s the first time that Columbus State Community College would be able to pursue putting a bond issuance on the ballot for Franklin County voters, a result of state legislators adding such a provision to the two-year budget they passed in June.

As for the projects Columbus State Community College has planned - there's quite a bit of maintenance and improvements to existing campus buildings and facilities.  The plan, scheduled to be considered on Thursday at CSCC’s board of trustees meeting, includes about $57 million in classroom renovations and technology enhancement, as well as nearly $75 million in deferred maintenance on its oldest buildings, which have an average age of 45 years, plus Aquinas Hall, which is 94 years old. 

The Business First article also listed the following projects on the CSCC agenda:

• $37.7 million to create student success hubs on its campuses
  • $36.9 million to add a second academic building at its Delaware campus
  • $36.6 million to upgrade classrooms and laboratories for STEM areas
  • $36.5 million to complete deferred maintenance needs at Aquinas Hall, Franklin Hall and Madison Hall, three of the Columbus campus’ oldest buildings
  • $31.6 million to replace aging one-story buildings on the west side of the Columbus campus with new instructional space
  • $30.6 million to upgrade health-related instructional spaces
  • $30.0 million to create a Center for Emerging Technologies for multidisciplinary projects
  • $27.7 million to build a parking garage at its downtown campus

There is nothing "mixed news" about CSCC building a parking garage.  It is the continued fulfillment of the campus master plan released in 2013.  I posted all about it back then in this thread.  Here are the copies below for your edification:

On 7/26/2013 at 12:15 PM, Columbo said:

The Columbus State Community College Board of Trustees met earlier this month to approve new master plans for their downtown campus and their recently built campus in Delaware County.  For UrbanOhio though, it's the downtown Columbus campus plan that holds our interest.

The master plan approved for the Columbus State downtown campus would promote more infill development on existing surface parking lots.  First, a series of parking garages would be built to match the parking capacity of the existing surface lots targeted for infill development (CSCC is still a commuter college with over 25,000 students).  Then, a series of new buildings would replace those surface parking lots.  Particularly the two large parking lots between the CSCC and CCAD colleges along Cleveland Avenue.

Below are two reports about this from Columbus Underground and Business First.  Below those links is the downtown campus master plan approved by Columbus State:

Columbus Underground: Columbus State Master Plan Envisions Campus Makeover

Business First: Columbus State considering denser building plan on campus

9372060228_1d5348cc18_b_d.jpg

On 9/19/2013 at 1:11 PM, Columbo said:

Columbus Underground also has a report about the Columbus State master plan at http://www.columbusunderground.com/columbus-state-president-presents-vision-for-revitalized-discovery-district-bw1 with a ton of renderings.  There is also a very watchable Youtube video of the plan (particularly because it is silent and lets the renderings speak for themselves without the dopey narration and music we usually get with these types of videos).

I'm aware of the master plan but it is mixed news in the idea that parking garages continue to perpetuate a car centric model of an urban community. It's the catch 22 of the urbanization of this city. The chicken and the egg. Maybe 'news' isnt the right semantics but it is certainly a conundrum we will continue to face and I firmly believe that there is no place for a stand alone parking deck in the core of any city.  That's all. 

Edited by DTCL11

19 minutes ago, DTCL11 said:

I'm aware of the master plan but it is mixed news in the idea that parking garages continue to perpetuate a car centric model of an urban community. It's the catch 22 of the urbanization of this city. The chicken and the egg. Maybe 'news' isnt the right semantics but it is certainly a conundrum we will continue to face and I firmly believe that there is no place for a stand alone parking deck in the core of any city.  That's all. 

I think most of the students commute so they have to have parking, at least for now. 

• Thanks 1

Yes. Most student commute and that is the reality of the catch 22 but that still doesn't mean there is a place for a standalone parking garage. If someone wants to build a garage downtown, I believe it must be accompanied with other uses beyond storing vehicles. Whether that is commercial space, residences, offices, etc. We shouldn't be continuing to allow city blocks to be dominated by single use parking structures. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, DTCL11 said:

Yes. Most student commute and that is the reality of the catch 22 but that still doesn't mean there is a place for a standalone parking garage. If someone wants to build a garage downtown, I believe it must be accompanied with other uses beyond storing vehicles. Whether that is commercial space, residences, offices, etc. We shouldn't be continuing to allow city blocks to be dominated by single use parking structures. 

I like what OSU was able to do with this garage. The architectural design could use a bit of work, but the overall idea is good. It would be nice if Columbus State could attempt something similar.

image.thumb.png.9afce99a896ba12fe119e96690ec9360.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, DTCL11 said:

You’re not wrong. 

• Like 1

This is going to sound very grumpy old man, but I could care less if they build a parking garage, but they better not ask me to pay for it. 

The budget “authorizes the board of trustees of a state community college district to propose a property tax levy for permanent improvements, or a combination bond issuance and tax levy for permanent improvements,” according to the Ohio Legislative Service Commission. - Business First Article

• Like 1

I really wish they could make the partnership garage at least taller and then partially wrap it with some residential and ground floor retail. Unless it already is..I can't tell from that map. Does that U shaped line around it mean anything? If not, it is just going to be a duplicate of the massive garage right next to it.

*ok from the video is looks like it is just going to be a stand alone massive garage. What a waste. Why not take it up a bit and wrap those three sides with residential? and much of the development, while looking good, could be a floor or two taller. Two and three floors just seems a bit lacking.

Edited by Toddguy

17 minutes ago, GCrites80s said:

I don't think they want to be landlords. That's why they're a community college.

The "residential" I spoke of could also be just moving more of the shared student housing there. They could always, say, sell the land directly north of the new planned commons so a private developer could put in an apartment building like the Neilston-nice location right next to the park and would go along with the adjacent private housing/retail planned for the west side of the commons, right?  It is just a shame to see another massive(and relatively low) parking garage that will be basically a copy of the one next door virtually creating a new parking garage district(similar to the one we already have southwest of the Nationwide complex). We just do not need huge but low stand alone parking garages within our downtown. They are the Agent Orange of downtown vitality IMO.

I understand the need for parking at a large commuter college but do it right for Chrissakes.

Edited by Toddguy
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Six-Story Building Approved for Downtown Parking Lot

South-Grant-Apartments-3-620x384.jpg

A six-story apartment building with ground floor retail will be built at the northeast corner of Grant Avenue and Oak Street downtown.

The project, from the Pizzuti Companies, was approved by the Downtown Commission this morning after first being presented to the group in May. The building will hold a total of 145 apartment units, along with two commercial storefronts on Grant and an entrance lobby on the corner. A two-level interior parking garage will be accessed from the Capital Street side of the building.

The new building will join several others in the immediate area that are currently under construction, including the redevelopment of the Grant Oak Apartments across Oak Street (also a Pizzuti project), a 68-unit building that will overlook the Topiary Park, and a nine-story apartment building that has topped out at 330 E. Oak St.

More below:

https://www.columbusunderground.com/six-story-building-approved-for-downtown-parking-lot-bw1

South-Grant-Apartments-5-1150x550.jpg

• Like 1

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

4 minutes ago, TH3BUDDHA said:

A really interesting photo from the company installing the Encova lettering.  Posted on the Columbus subreddit:

I just posted the same picture over in the random Columbus pictures thread lol. It's an awesome picture though!

• Like 1

On 10/29/2019 at 12:03 PM, cbussoccer said:

I just posted the same picture over in the random Columbus pictures thread lol. It's an awesome picture though!

Lots of progress on the Motorists lot facing Topiary and the replacement of Oak St. So great to see so many hefty residential developments from this angle!

• Like 3

On 9/25/2019 at 1:56 PM, ColDayMan said:

The plan could be funded using a variety of sources: state funding, fundraising and a potential bond issuance.  However, a college official said the prospect of asking voters to approve a bond issuance would be considered at a later date.

More below:

On 9/25/2019 at 2:42 PM, Columbo said:

As for the projects Columbus State Community College has planned - there's quite a bit of maintenance and improvements to existing campus buildings and facilities.  The plan, scheduled to be considered on Thursday at CSCC’s board of trustees meeting, includes about $57 million in classroom renovations and technology enhancement, as well as nearly $75 million in deferred maintenance on its oldest buildings, which have an average age of 45 years, plus Aquinas Hall, which is 94 years old. 

The Business First article also listed the following projects on the CSCC agenda:

• $37.7 million to create student success hubs on its campuses
  • $36.9 million to add a second academic building at its Delaware campus
  • $36.6 million to upgrade classrooms and laboratories for STEM areas
  • $36.5 million to complete deferred maintenance needs at Aquinas Hall, Franklin Hall and Madison Hall, three of the Columbus campus’ oldest buildings
  • $31.6 million to replace aging one-story buildings on the west side of the Columbus campus with new instructional space
  • $30.6 million to upgrade health-related instructional spaces
  • $30.0 million to create a Center for Emerging Technologies for multidisciplinary projects
  • $27.7 million to build a parking garage at its downtown campus

UPDATE:

CSCC Putting Bond Issue on the March Ballot

Columbus State Community College is proposing a $300 million bond issue for the March 2020 ballot to fund the modernization of its facilities. ... Many of the improvements are focused on improving facilities to prepare students for in-demand jobs, including careers in healthcare, information technology, advanced manufacturing, engineering, business, public safety and more, that are vital in the region’s growing economy.

( . . . )

The 0.065 mil bond would equate to less than $2 per month for each $100,000 of property value for Franklin County homeowners.  Collection of the bond issue would begin in 2020 and run through 2044.  The bond issue has received letters of support from One Columbus, The Columbus Urban League, The Columbus Chamber of Commerce, the YWCA Columbus and Cameron Mitchell Restaurants.

MORE:  https://www.columbusunderground.com/cscc-putting-bond-issue-on-the-march-ballot-sp1

• 1 month later...

I just saw this application on the city's portal and I don't remember seeing any articles about a potential development here. The description says "7 level residential building with 3 levels of parking garage" which sounds like a 10-story building to me. 

image.png.f1d14fbf1beac68512fba15534fd17c9.png

This is what is currently located on parcel 010047658:

image.png.aa3c3037708d2fd6e9ff51d1d1e70b51.png

The existing building actually looks pretty nice, but if you look on the Franklin County Auditor's website, you will see the parcel extends to the parking lot behind the building. Hopefully that means they will preserve the current building and build on the surface lot behind it.

image.png.139e44f81371147c906bec021e3461d6.png

• Like 3
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, cbussoccer said:

I just saw this application on the city's portal and I don't remember seeing any articles about a potential development here. The description says "7 level residential building with 3 levels of parking garage" which sounds like a 10-story building to me. 

image.png.f1d14fbf1beac68512fba15534fd17c9.png

This is what is currently located on parcel 010047658:

image.png.aa3c3037708d2fd6e9ff51d1d1e70b51.png

The existing building actually looks pretty nice, but if you look on the Franklin County Auditor's website, you will see the parcel extends to the parking lot behind the building. Hopefully that means they will preserve the current building and build on the surface lot behind it.

image.png.139e44f81371147c906bec021e3461d6.png

I hope you are right and they preserve the three story building...if not at least maybe something like on Park Street where they keep the front. It does not go back far but keeping it and getting a 3 floor garage behind it will be a tight fit IMO.  If they had the parcel behind it as well(010-035143)it would have no problem fitting in. Weird since that parcel flows right into the other in the same parking lot.  I would never have thought it was a different parcel. 

3 minutes ago, Toddguy said:

wut?  Did you post in the wrong thread?

He referring to the CSCC Bond package articles a page back that would include a decent chunk of money for the Delaware campus. I though the same thing at first as well.  

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Toddguy said:

I hope you are right and they preserve the three story building...if not at least maybe something like on Park Street where they keep the front. It does not go back far but keeping it and getting a 3 floor garage behind it will be a tight fit IMO.  If they had the parcel behind it as well(010-035143)it would have no problem fitting in. Weird since that parcel flows right into the other in the same parking lot.  I would never have thought it was a different parcel. 

It would appear the same entity (336 E Broad) bought 3 parcels in May. The application does not reflect all the parcels but it continues back across Kelly Alley as well. May be a sizable infill project. 

20191204_151115.jpg

Edited by DTCL11
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Toddguy said:

The current building dates back to 1926 and was originally the Ohio State Life Insurance building.  Before that, it was an old house from 1870 on the site.  I hope they are able to incorporate this building, if the project is for the same parcel and not for the rear lots.

Edited by jonoh81

22 minutes ago, DTCL11 said:

It would appear the same entity (336 E Broad) bought 3 parcels in May. The application does not reflect all the parcels but it continues back across Kelly Alley as well. May be a sizable infill project. 

20191204_151115.jpg

OK...this is MUCH better.  ?   They had better leave the older building and build behind it!  That is a nice looking older building-really nice big windows.

Edited by Toddguy
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, jonoh81 said:

The current building dates back to 1926 and was originally the Ohio State Life Insurance building. 

Ugh! Another plain box! Did these builders just share plans with each other and copy/paste? Why can't we get anything original or with character to stand out from everything else? Why do they all have to look the same? Talentless hacks ruining the fabric of the neighborhood!

- Said some NIMBY in 1926... probably....

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, DTCL11 said:

Ugh! Another plain box! Did these builders just share plans with each other and copy/paste? Why can't we get anything original or with character to stand out from everything else? Why do they all have to look the same? Talentless hacks ruining the fabric of the neighborhood!

- Said some NIMBY in 1926... probably....

LImestone! lImestone!  I am so sick of these limestone boxes!!!! And they demolished a beautiful old house for THIS! We are losing the whole feel and character of our downtown!!!! 

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Toddguy said:

LImestone! lImestone!  I am so sick of these limestone boxes!!!! And they demolished a beautiful old house for THIS! We are losing the whole feel and character of our downtown!!!! 

I'm sure Ohio State Life has the money to go bigger and bolder with their building but again, they are an insurance company and always lean conservative. It's not like they don't have the pockets for it.

- Said some development nerd in 1926... probably....

?

• Haha 1

Just now, DTCL11 said:

I'm sure Ohio State Life has the money to go bigger and bolder with their building but again, they are an insurance company and always lean conservative. It's not like they don't have the pockets for it.

?

I don't know, I imagine that NIMBY was much less of a thing than it is now.  It was probably seen as an improvement over the single-family home.  

ThomasJohnson368ebroad1901.jpg

1 minute ago, jonoh81 said:

I don't know, I imagine that NIMBY was much less of a thing than it is now.  It was probably seen as an improvement over the single-family home.  

I wonder when that pic was taken...and in what condition that house was by 1926?  I do wish they would have kept a few more of the very best old mansions along Broad. We have only a handful left. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DTCL11 said:

?

The Seneca Hotel is right across the street and it is 10 floors and almost ten years old and here we are stuck at 3 floors!!! Tear down that old dump of a house! Why can't Columbus keep up with other cities?

*fist fight ensues between 1926 NIMBY and 1926 Development nerd*

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, jonoh81 said:

It would be interesting to see if there are any old articles on the demolition of some of the old homes and see whether there was some sort of opposition or if it was seen as a right of passage for a growing city back then. 

7 minutes ago, Toddguy said:

I wonder when that pic was taken...and in what condition that house was by 1926?  I do wish they would have kept a few more of the very best old mansions along Broad. We have only a handful left. 

This photo is from 1901.  Keep in mind that the house wasn't all that old in 1924, the year it was actually torn down for the insurance building- only 54 years old- so the condition was probably good.  I guess the good thing in this particular case is that another building replaced it.  Next to the Key Bank tower, there is a parking lot that has existed for 90+ years after the home there was torn down.  

Edited by jonoh81
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, jonoh81 said:

This photo is from 1901.  Keep in mind that the house wasn't all that old in 1924, the year it was actually torn down for the insurance building- only 54 years old- so the condition was probably good.  

Do you think it was worth preserving given some of the much larger and more ornate mansions along Broad(some of which should definitely have been preserved), or was it best to put up the(very nice)3 floor bank building(which obviously to me should be preserved now since they have that room behind it)?

*it does look like a nice house although I can't tell how large it really was..it looks like it might extend back aways.*

Edited by Toddguy

2 minutes ago, Toddguy said:

Do you think it was worth preserving given some of the much larger and more ornate mansions along Broad(some of which should definitely have been preserved), or was it best to put up the(very nice)3 floor bank building(which obviously to me should be preserved now since they have that room behind it)?

Well, we're looking at it from the perspective of 2019 vs. the mid-1920s.  A more relevant comparison would be- how do you feel about preserving a 1960s ranch home?  It would be great to have some of these homes still around, but at the time, they probably didn't see it as historically valuable.

Edited by jonoh81

6 minutes ago, jonoh81 said:

Well, we're looking at it from the perspective of 2019 vs. the mid-1920s.  A more relevant comparison would be- how do you feel about preserving a 1960s ranch home?  

Well damn when you put it that way I would have been all "knock that s#%t down!"  

In fifty years they had better not be moaning about how awful we were to knock down all of the drive thru fast food joints on High street!-what were they thinking!!!!  lol

*A better question would be is this building landmarked and if not , why?  This is a nice little building which is appropriate in scale for pedestrians and there are parking lots galore around it waiting for development. It should be protected. 

Edited by Toddguy

10 minutes ago, DTCL11 said:

It would be interesting to see if there are any old articles on the demolition of some of the old homes and see whether there was some sort of opposition or if it was seen as a right of passage for a growing city back then. 

The Dispatch archives are a great resource.  It's fascinating to see how attitudes have changed on a variety of issues.

5 minutes ago, jonoh81 said:

Well, we're looking at it from the perspective of 2019 vs. the mid-1920s.  A more relevant comparison would be- how do you feel about preserving a 1960s ranch home?  It would be great to have some of these homes still around, but at the time, they probably didn't see it as historically valuable.

I mean, there are entire empires and cult followings built off that. #hgtv #farmhousesuburbanchic lol

Here is when the building went up for sale:

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2018/05/25/law-firm-puts-downtown-building-on-market-looks-to.html

It says it is historic..but is it protected in any way?

It was first owned by Ohio State Life Insurance Co. and was leased out for two decades before the law firm moved there. At the time, it underwent a substantial renovation and redesign, though most of the original features – including marble flooring, a carved plaster ceiling and a decorative brass stair rail – were preserved.

Save the old Ohio State Life Insurance Building!!!!!

Edited by Toddguy

Seriously y'all I want this building to be preserved. Where are the preservationists/NIMBYS when you need them???

Someone needs to get Walker in on this so he can post in on CUfacebook and get the pitchfork and torch crowd ready if needed.

Edited by Toddguy

• 2 weeks later...