Sign in to follow this  
KJP

Brook Park / Walton Hills: Ford Plant Redevelopments

On 5/26/2019 at 9:09 PM, Klingaling87 said:

So, for those that have a subscription, there’s an article in today’s Crains that discusses Ford’s vacant properties in Brookpark (or is that Cleveland?) and Walton Hills. The gist of the story is that there’s a potential buyer for BOTH properties, and it would be a “game changer” for the region’s economy. The product profile or potential company isn’t identified, but wondering if anyone has any insight? Very curious as to who the user is and what it could be. 

https://www.crainscleveland.com/real-estate/ford-driving-sale-huge-northeast-ohio-sites

1 hour ago, Dougal said:

Specific interest in the Ford foundry has my attention.  Conventional wisdom says that an Ohio foundry can't produce dumb items like engine blocks at a competitive price because the labor component of cost is too high relative to the blocks' value. Ohio foundries have to be unique (like Arconic's in Cleveland), or non-union like the smaller ones, or produce high-value, sophisticated items to survive. This thinking would seem to rule out somebody like a foreign auto company being the buyer.

I'm asking around to real estate sources, but so far no one knows who the buyer is. One thing I did learn is that there was a lot of interest in the two properties, mostly by out-of-state suitors. I'm told there were more than a dozen offers for either or both Ford properties.

"Save the planet. Move to the city." -- The Downtowner podcast

I wonder what they mean by "game changer".  I don't think just getting the plants up and running again making conventional cars or trucks would be "game-changing", per se.  Great for the local economy, sure, but not really game changing.

• Like 1

Previously there was a group looking at these plants for the game-changing new type of spark plugs to be manufactured there.  They used that phrase. It was movers and shakers of Northeast Ohio that were advisors to get the manufacturing going. That fell through a couple years ago and that group was disbanded.  There still exists plasma igniter group that oversees the research and they have not made any big moves publicly.   My understanding is they are manufactured in small batches in LA with the bulk of their product going to the military.  

It could be this company polishing off the previous plan since they were the ones originally in talks with Ford for those plants. Or it could be some other group we don’t know about. 

Ford-Logo-on-Dearborn-HQ-FordAuthoritydo

FRIDAY, MAY 31, 2019

Cleveland-area Ford plants redo to spark local economy

Redeveloping one auto plant measuring nearly 2-million-square-foot for a single manufacturer is a pretty big deal. The redevelopment of two of them for a single manufacturer is a bigger deal. The use of them for producing game-changing automotive technologies is about as big as it gets.

At least one of the game changing technologies is the plasma ignition system, also known as the sparkless ignition, according to a party involved with sales transaction.

MORE:

https://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2019/05/cleveland-area-ford-plants-redo-to.html

• Like 3
  • Love 1

"Save the planet. Move to the city." -- The Downtowner podcast

Thanks for another informative article, KJP.  One thing though: your statement that the automotive industry doesn't have any strategies for electric cars, reducing emissions and driverless cars seriously undersells what they're doing.  The auto OEMs are investing billions in these technologies.  Most are planning several new electric models over the next few years and most have pretty serious AV units.  I'm not saying they've got it all figured out and that everything they're trying is going to work, but I certainly wouldn't portray Tesla as the only one with their act together (and whether they really do is questionable too)

• Like 2