KJP

Cleveland Area TOD Discussion

It always saddens me to travel east on Madison in Lakewood, past all of the terrific mixed-use density including a 10-story apartment building, only to see it open up to parking lots and single-use buildings near the Rapid station. I don't expect anyone from the George family (including Tony who owns the building just west Coutant) to pursue anything remotely positive to support the Rapid station and vice-versa.

• Like 1

"Nearly every problem that we have in the USA -- unaffordable health care, prison overpopulation, hyper militarization, climate change, racism, gun violence, poverty, poor education, urban sprawl and others -- cannot be positively addressed because bribery and conflicts of interest are legal under campaign finance laws which protect the uber-wealthy and the narrow self-interests who grossly benefit from our afflictions."

If i am correct George bought the directly north of madison, the old buildings that are really an eyesore and have extensive deferred maintenance.  I do not know of any projects that have even thought about this area, but i think it is really underused. 

The discussion of the Madison/W. 117th area isn't really a project, just a personal, "what if".  I have merged it with the TOD Discussion page.

1 hour ago, G00pie said:

If i am correct George bought the directly north of madison, the old buildings that are really an eyesore and have extensive deferred maintenance.  I do not know of any projects that have even thought about this area, but i think it is really underused. 

the parcels that ken is talking about are currently being used as a place to rent a car if you want to be a driver for a car sharing company. including parcels 315-15-017, 315-15-021; iirc, he's intending that to become a medical marijuana discrepancy 

Edited by skorasaurus
clarity

It's not surprising this area lacks any vibrancy and is not top on the list of development sites. The area around the station is cut up by the railroad tracks, lacks any sort of grid, and is filled with sprawling industrial uses and some big box retail. Residential use is almost non existent. These are not the ingredients for a successful urban neighborhood. Anything built here would be on an island by itself.

2 hours ago, JSC216 said:

It's not surprising this area lacks any vibrancy and is not top on the list of development sites. The area around the station is cut up by the railroad tracks, lacks any sort of grid, and is filled with sprawling industrial uses and some big box retail. Residential use is almost non existent. These are not the ingredients for a successful urban neighborhood. Anything built here would be on an island by itself.

Densely populated neighborhoods are immediately north and west of here. And industry, especially light industry as well as self-storage facilities, can be relocated. Have you seen the two cities' development masterplan for the West 117th corridor, and how well this area would mesh with the neighborhoods north and west of here if the two cities actually adhered to their own plans? I have copies of them somewhere and will look for them. For now, this is all I could find, but this will suffice since it addresses the more difficult southern and eastern sides of the station....

West 117th TOD plan1.jpg

Edited by KJP

"Nearly every problem that we have in the USA -- unaffordable health care, prison overpopulation, hyper militarization, climate change, racism, gun violence, poverty, poor education, urban sprawl and others -- cannot be positively addressed because bribery and conflicts of interest are legal under campaign finance laws which protect the uber-wealthy and the narrow self-interests who grossly benefit from our afflictions."

This was my own musing for the West 117th station area. I think offering an apartment in the Lakewood school system that's across the street from a rail and bus station and is a short walk-bike-Uber/Lyft ride to Target and a 24-hour Giant Eagle would tap an important segment of the market.

Madison-Highland Square-Developmentsite2017-2s.jpg

Madison-Highland Square-Development-labeled-s.jpg

Edited by KJP
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

Cross posted in the lakefront developments thread. I think these kids have come up with better ideas than I've seen from many of the high-paid planners and architects out there....

Cross posted in the Random Cleveland Developments thread.....

And in Cleveland...

Indeed. Banks finance projects that meet zoning requirements, have high enough appraised values to meet LTV requirements, and have sufficient cash flows from rents supported by marketing studies to meet coverage ratio requirements.  I don't think lenders really think or care about parking except how it ties into those three things.

• Like 1

Not CLE, but a great example of ToD. And it’s from the developer that we thought was going to be funding the development north of the Browns stadium, before that whole partnership fell apart. 

TX: Apartment tower in the works at DART's Mockingbird rail station

https://www.masstransitmag.com/technology/facilities/news/21136214/tx-apartment-tower-in-the-works-at-darts-mockingbird-rail-station

Apr. 29--Developer Trammell Crow Co. is giving more details about its plans for a high-rise development at DART's Mockingbird Station transit stop.  Called Mockingbird Station East, the project would include four towers built on what are now the parking lots for the commuter rail station.

The first phase of the development, which has been in the works for more than a year, would be construction of a three-level underground parking garage to replace the surface lots that will be used for the new towers. After the parking garage is finished, Crow's High Street Residential division would build a 22-story apartment building on the east end of the site next to the Kroger supermarket.

Chicago-based developer Convexity Properties is already building a 28-story apartment tower as part of its 12-acre project adjoining the DART line.

• Like 1

• Like 1