Cleveland Area TOD Discussion

KJP

Next stop is 'transit neighborhood'

Lakewood Sun Post

Dec. 30, 2004

By KEN PRENDERGAST

Staff Writer

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

Actually, I find him to be a very intelligent man, but is pulled and punched politically in a lot of different directions. Unfortunately, a lot of the staff at NOACA have become gun shy from confrontations with people outside NOACA, and thus has atrophied creativity and boldness among the staff. But the Transportation for Livable Communities grant program is very un-NOACA-like in that it is creative and bold.

Maier used to be the planning director in Cleveland Heights, where he oversaw the creation of a TOD-type of zoning. And, he was a political cartoonist for Sun Newspapers once upon a time, so he can't be all bad...

KJP

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

my one experience with maier led me to sour on NOACA

basically he sounded like every ignorant suburbanite out there, basically saying the solution to all of cleveland's traffic and growth problems was more freeways, wider roads and more lanes (i'm obvioulsy paraphasing, but that's what it boiled down to)

Very interesting.  When (if) Shaker were to achieve the things shown in the plan, it would be almost like Cleveland Heights with its small but dense commercial nodes, with the added bonus of being near light rail.

Current and future TOD developments, including those in Shaker Heights, will be the subject of a second article, to run this week in some papers. I'll post here after it runs in at least one Sun paper.

As for NOACA and Howard Maier, they're being pulled in one direction, toward the "highways uber alles" policy of ODOT and FHWA and most suburban/exurban communities, since ODOT and FHWA provide NOACA with the bulk of their restributable funding and the suburban/exurban communities constitute the majority of NOACA's members, dues and trustees. Individually, NOACA staff realize what urban sprawl and ever-expanding highway capacity is doing to Greater Cleveland. But NOACA staff is like that flag attached to the middle of the rope in a tug of war between Cleveland/first suburbs and the other Cuyahoga County suburbs/other communities in the other four counties. And right now, the outer suburbs are winning the tug of war, backed by the fact that more funding exists for highways than for transit/smart growth.

Admittedly, NOACA staff routinely piss me off as a wear my second hat in advocating rail/transit development. Staff can be condescending, obstinant and lacking in creativity. But I also understand the constraints under which they're operating.

I just wish staff would express themselves and their policy expertise more fully (ie: "I understand your interest in wanting that highway widened Mr. Mayor, but my personal expertise in these matters is that the investment won't solve the traffic problems you're experiencing over the long term. Allow me to suggest some ideas and funding flexibilities that could provide some creative, longer-lasting solutions..."

Now that would be refreshing.

KJP

Besides housing and retail, what about transit oriented industrial parks?  I haven't really thought this out before I am posting it, so forgive me.

I am just thinking of Euclid, and the area that would most logically be a stop if an extended red line were to happen.  St. Clair, where the park and ride is now.

The area around it is either brownfields or the huge lincoln electric HQ and manufacturing plants, so I don't think anyone would want to put housing around it, and there is next to no existing housing within a half mile.

But could rapid transit be used as a unique opportunity to market these brownfields to developers to entice them to build an industrial park there?

Has this been done before, anywhere?

I don't know of any industrial TODs, although that certainly doesn't mean they don't exist.  I would guess that it hasn't been done because of two things- the benefit to industry of improved access to workers isn't enough for them to bother, and the amount of potential ridership from industrial uses per the amount of land they take up isn't very good.  Industry these days is a 20 acre site, a 500,000 sq ft building, and a crew of 150 people.  And a whole lot of robots.  Not very dense in terms of human activity.

What might work well would be a transit stop that is well serviced by a circulator to take employees around to the different factories.  At the stop itself, you could have the things that workers might need during the course of their workday- a post office, restaurants, day care, bank, drug store, coffee shop, etc.  They could pick stuff up there on their way in and out of the industrial complex.  If there is someplace logical to put some housing, throw some of that in as well.

Punch & X,

I think you're correct, that industrial TOD would be difficult, since the current trend in manufacturing is to have a single-level plant for the ease of movement of goods and materials within the structure. However, technology parks and incubators are another matter. I alluded to this in my article, in which Midtown Development Corp. and the Ferchill Group are redeveloping a building on Euclid Avenue near East 55th with the Euclid Transitway in mind, and more facilities like this are part of Midtown's masterplan, including live-work spaces. I wish I could have gotten into more detail in my article about their exciting plans, but the article was huge enough as it was.

There also is an effort to redevelop a former industrial site at the East 79th Rapid station on the Red Line, but I'm concerned that this is being considered in a non-TOD manner that will not lend itself to transit usage. I hope I'm wrong. And, like you both said, there may not be much that can be done to develop transit-friendly industrial locations. I think the Pierre ice cream plant on Euclid Avenue is an example of what not to do with industrial plants. At least it could have been built next to Euclid to better facilitate pedestrian access.

KJP

While the first of two Sun Newspapers articles in the TOD series was posted at the top of this string, both articles with graphics can be downloaded at:

http://members.cox.net/corridorscampaign/SUN_TOD_2005.pdf (a 244K download)

KJP

That Brookpark project doesn't look very TOD to me.  It is really more like a hotel "lifestyle center" with a walkable spine but completely isolated by parking lots.  Not that there is much to connect to.

That's the problem: lack of anything around the station for it to connect to. It's not TOD, but the construction of the parking garages is a step in the right direction for RTA. Now if only RTA could program the gates at the parking deck to spit out an all-day transit pass as a proof-of-payment for the parking deck, so that someone doesn't have to pay twice -- to ride the Rapid and park their car.

KJP

Don't get me wrong, I am happy that they are doing this because I think that it is a step in the right direction and it is probably "good enough" for what is essentially an industrial are(if I remember right-I don't get down to Brookpark much).  Heck, I'm happy that they are even considering station area development at all- its been a long time coming.  I just hope that they adhere to the standards that they have been setting at the EcoVillage in future development where "good enough" isn't. 

What I question is that the RTA Board has made TOD one of its 10 priorities in its long-range plan, but RTA has only two staffpersons who have TOD as one of their many planning responsibilities (three if you count RTA architect John Goodworth). If RTA is serious about TOD as a priority, they need to hire at least one, preferably two staffpersons to carry out this mission. I would think that RTA could front the cost of hiring two people to handle TOD projects, but that these staffers could pay for themselves over the long run, as most development and ridership revenues come in.

By the way, the two TOD articles were published in the West Side Sun News today in their entirety, with four of the five submitted illustrations included. You can find copies of the paper at the Tower City newstand next to the Renaissance Hotel, the Amtrak station, or at convenience stores from Ohio City to West Park.

KJP

Yes, that's the Midtown Tech Center. John Ferchill is developing it. The Midtown masterplan is still "under construction" as is the TOD zoning code. I got the impression they were further along with the latter, as the former is the more complicated, politicized part. But when the TOD zoning code goes to Cleveland City Council for possible adoption, that's when the politics will surely come into play. Hopefully council won't water it down.

Sorry about the bum steer on the meeting this evening. The Inner Belt public meeting is next Thursday, Jan. 20! I hope to see you then.

KJP

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey, Mister Good Day...besides the couple of links above, all I can find is this (and both are somewhat old):

About the Shaker Towne Centre and Van Aken:

http://www.shaker-hts.oh.us/dept/econ/RedevelopmentinShakerHeights.asp

The city's Strategic Investment Plan (PDF):

http://www.shaker-hts.oh.us/Media/PDFs/Uploader/8222002142113sip.pdf

• 2 months later...

What about this for a potential TOD???

West25thStationTOD1.jpg

There is a distinct, albeit small "dead space" gap between the West 25th Street Red Line station and the mixed-use, high density hub of Market Square.  It seems to me that new housing and commercial space around here would sell/lease like hotcakes.  With the Riverview project in the works and housing in Ohio City being amongst the hottest in the city, it would make sense for the City of Cleveland to consider developing the parking lots that it owns around the West Side Market.  I can envision a mid-rise, mixed-use development with small streets winding behind the market.  The views and amenities would be amazing and the existing and new parking could be accommodated in one or two garages. 

The buildings around the station are either disconnected by the RTA-owned Rapid ravine or are underused and auto-oriented.  Those could be purchased and redeveloped over the years as well.  There's really nothing happening between the end of the Lorain-Carnegie Bridge and West 25th, when it should be a major entryway to the West Side and the Market Square area...

How about redeveloping the lots and buildings you mentioned above, and add in the station itself, redeveloped with midrise condos that would bridge the ravine (the station would remain in the basement with a first floor entrance).  It would help bridge the gap between Ohio City and Duck Island.

Go to it! I got your back...

KJP

i dont know, those lots are packed on saturdays for the market, people come from all over... id say put in a parking garage in the lot closest to the market and redevelop the other lot into something else. 

those lots are packed on saturdays for the market, people come from all over... id say put in a parking garage in the lot closest to the market and redevelop the other lot into something else.

well, of course we'd need a garage...i know those SPACES are totally necessary, but we can definitely make better use of the SPACE!  And it's a rare opportunity where the City actually owns the land, and it's so convenient to transit and there are views and it's already a hot neighborhood!  Cleveland could actually turn a nice profit with a for-sale development and some tax revenues...

so, build a garage with residential above and retail frontage (it doesn't have to look like a garage!) and then develop the remaining blocks after that's done.  easy as pie!

The station is actually in the city of Brook Park, thanks to the land-swap several years ago. Brook Park gave up the IX Center to Cleveland so it could someday tear it down for airport expansion. Brook Park got Cleveland's land between Brookpark Road and I-480, to clean up the strip joints and redevelop the area. The RTA station was part of Cleveland's land that went to Brook Park.

KJP

• 2 months later...

On the subject of TOD, I was thinking about what's starting to happen along the Red Line. Let's take this station by station, from west to east (please offer any corrections or updates):

Airport -- no TOD planning or development activities known;

Brookpark -- a $16 million redevelopment plan approved by RTA board in March 2005 with Brookpark RTA Ventures Ltd. of Beachwood, including a new station, 1,000-car parking garage, hotels, restaurants and retail on the 15.5 acres of land;

Puritas-West 150th -- NOACA awarded on May 13, 2005 a $70,000 TLCI planning grant to project co-sponsors RTA and the Bellaire-Puritas Development Corp. for the development of a station-area redevelopment and pedestrian-access plan;

West Park -- no TOD planning or development activities known;

Triskett -- no TOD planning or development activities known;

West 117th-Madison -- Lakewood and developer considering development options for recently vacated DeLorean Cadilac Dealership and adjacent properties. If no development option is pursued in the short-term, Spitzer may open its own car dealership on the site. RTA awarded contract to rebuild station facility on Aug. 23, 2005;

West Boulevard -- Renovation of the 1888-built, five-story Chicle Gum Factory into apartments completed in 2005. Development plan approved by city on April 28, 2005 for the construction of up 40 new Chicle Townhouses;

West 65th-Lorain -- EcoVillage continues to advance. In 2003, 20 townhomes were built and all were sold by 2004. A second phase of townhome development is starting. On Sept. 21, 2004, RTA opened its new station facility. Planning underway for major reconstruction of Matthew Zone Recreation Center. RTA seeking redevelopment of Lorain Avenue station frontage;

West 25th-Ohio City -- CMHA director George Phillips and Ward 14 Councilman Nelson Cintron favor relocating CMHA's proposed high-rise residential building, containing 120-160 units "on top" of the RTA station. The tower, part of CMHA's Hope VI development, was originally planned for a site next to an unstable hillside at West 25th and Franklin;

Tower City Center -- New Federal Courthouse Tower built 2004 with pedestrian walkway to Tower City Center and RTA station;

East 34th-Campus -- no TOD planning or development activities known;

East 55th -- Station slated for reconstruction, with a design that would support some station-area redevelopment;

East 79th -- no TOD planning or development activities known;

East 105th-Quincy -- RTA broke ground on Jan. 11, 2005 for a new $1.3 million station facility, replacing the old station. The station is next to the site for a proposed $120 million juvenile detention center, but the center's location could change.

University Circle -- no TOD planning or development activities known;

Euclid-East 120th -- RTA has funding in hand for station replacement or possible relocation. RTA request for TLCI planning funds from NOACA denied. Following the environmental remediation of a former oil storage depot on East 120th and Coltman Avenue, Hemisphere Development Corp. is planning for the construction of 28 townhouses or condominiums, called the Little Italy Renaissance Development, on 1.2 acres of land.

Superior -- no TOD planning or development activities known;

Windermere -- Head Start pre-school opened at the rebuilt station in 2002, after RTA secured the funding for building demolitions, site work and construction. Additional development, called Windermere Village, was recently announced, with plans incorporating a mix of uses including more than 50 new homes and apartments, 40,000 square feet of office space and medical services, a bank, restaurant, expanded library and a restored church.

KJP

re: university circle

a many year old rumor had a mixed use development going in that small park in the northeast corner of the station, that rumor surfaced around the same time as the plans for the brook park station. I'm going to bet its completely dead.....

Good to hear there are plans for a new station at W. 117th Street.  I use that station often when I'm in Cleveland on business.  Much easier to drive in, drop the car off and ride the Rapid into downtown.  There's a lot of usable land around there for TOD... I hope the developer does something besides replace a car dealer with another car dealer.  That's not what the neighborhood needs.

FROM RTA'S (PRESS RELEASE) WEBSITE TODAY:

W. 117th ST. STATION: The Board awarded a $4.7 million contract to Ohio Diversified Service of Cleveland for construction of a new Red Line Rapid Transit Station at W. 117th St. at Madison Ave., on the Cleveland-Lakewood border. The firm’s bid was 8 percent lower than the engineer’s estimate. A groundbreaking ceremony has tentatively been set for Oct. 11. The station will remain open during the 24-month construction period. The station building will be reconstructed, and renovations will be made to the passenger tunnel, bus loop and parking lot. The original station is one of RTA’s oldest, and dates to the early 1950s. The new station will be ADA compliant, and its design is expected to be a catalyst for further neighborhood development. Federal funds will pay for 80 percent of the work.

KJP, thanks for the TOD update... Do you know of the timetable for Euclid-120?  Is there ever going to be anything definitive done w/ a new and (hopefully) relocated station at this high potential TOD-generating location or just more of the same noncommittal weasel talk with weasel words (not directed at you, of course) like "maybe" and "possibly" and "potentially"?  It seems like serious positive high-density, mixed-use development in this area, not in Little Italy, is forever stuck in the Twilight Zone of indecision and bickering.  Why did NOACA hold up the TLCI grant?  Was it because they were waiting to see what would happen with the oil storage area cleanup, meaning, they could subsequently approve it?

Also, what happened to the modest-to-grand proposals surrounding the W.65th stop?  There was initially talk of a post office, small food retail store, all the way up to high-rise commercial and residential development on a new plaza covering the Rapid tracks.  Hopefully it’s just in remission and not dead.

There will be a new station at or near Euclid-East 120th. Where and when it will be built, I do not know. NOACA didn't hold up the grant for station-area planning for that site. It was denied, as was a TLCI grant for a station-area plan at Lee and Van Aken. I don't know the reasons why, but I suspect it was because RTA had submitted four grant requests and there was only $1.1 million to go around for the five-county NOACA region. By the way, the fourth grant request by RTA, which NOACA approved, was for RTA establishing TOD guidelines for all station-area developments.

At West 65th, to my knowledge, RTA has solicited proposals for developing the vacant parcel between the station's driveway and the Lorain Avenue overpass of the tracks. A post office, organic food store, or some other use that would be beneficial to enhancing ridership at the station is desired by RTA. But I haven't heard of any proposals by developers for the site. Immediately west of the driveway, there are used car lots and other land uses that don't do much for enhancing ridership at the station. An apartment building or townhouses was discussed for that site. But I'm not aware of any concrete efforts to acquire those properties for the purpose of relocating their users to make way for redevelopment.

It's just not easy to redevelop land in the city, even if the property is vacant. And, RTA doesn't have the staff or other resources to pursue TOD with greater vigor -- despite it being a stated priority by the board of trustees. They need to put their money where their policy is.

KJP

You're right about W. 65 -- it's a beautiful little station, but that awful used car lot really hurts growth potential.  I'm fine w/ the Matt Zone rec center across Lorain, as this enhances opportunities for the community, particularly youths.  It's a shame RTA isn't putting adequate staff/resources toward TOD, which is so important for both RTA and Cleveland, generally.  I guess the think they can post a sign and/or a web address, and private developers ‘ll come a runnin’ – not that easy, especially in a community/region that generally adverse to transit, anyway – I mean, what mainstream developer (excluding farsighted, urban/environmental types like EcoCity Cleveland) will seriously invest in TOD if the reigning mentality is that: “only poor people use transit in Cleveland”?

... Oh, also, I'd read a website about some rather extensive TOD planning in East Cleveland around Stokes-Windermere, including seniors rehabbed apt housing, some of which, apparently, is underway.  Is this a part of the "under discussion" planning you mention?

Good info, KJP, thanks much. 

... Oh, also, I'd read a website about some rather extensive TOD planning in East Cleveland around Stokes-Windermere, including seniors rehabbed apt housing, some of which, apparently, is underway.  Is this a part of the "under discussion" planning you mention?

Not specifically. Can you post the link to the website and I'll adjust the information in the first message. I would like to continually update/correct that list as needed.

KJP

There is money waiting for the University Circle station and the Euclid-120th station.  The UC station will depend on the results of the re-design of the UC street grid (MLK, Stearns, Cedar, etc).  I believe that the E. 120th station is awaiting Case's Triangle plans.  It seems that it will be located in between Euclid and Mayfield.   

KJP,

In which stage is the 28 unit condo project?  I saw the site the other day, but i don't know much about it?  Who paid for the clean up?

There is money waiting for the University Circle station and the Euclid-120th station.  The UC station will depend on the results of the re-design of the UC street grid (MLK, Stearns, Cedar, etc). I believe that the E. 120th station is awaiting Case's Triangle plans.  It seems that it will be located in between Euclid and Mayfield.   

wow, another oldie but a goodie......wasn't that study in 2002? but then again, i don't want to imagine the mess when/if reconstruction starts

KJP, I did a quick search on the Windermere redevelopment, and came up empty.  East Clevelnad's website may have something, and I'll check.  I stumbled on a link few months ago by accident.  When I come across it, I'll post.

In the mean time, here's a nice piece in the 3/05 Properties Mag re the Chicle gum factory rehab that KJP's post alluded to (if you haven't already seen it):

http://www.propertiesmag.com/current/2005-03/Chicle.htm

In which stage is the 28 unit condo project?  I saw the site the other day, but i don't know much about it?  Who paid for the clean up?

I believe county and some state funds were used. Check out:

http://www.hemispheredev.com/case/coltman.html

KJP

I'm very excited to see all this talk of TOD either in the works or proposed and that the RTA has begun making it more of a priority...it's such a simple notion for them...use land around our stations better and our ridership will increase.  And as for the idea that only poor people in cleveland use transit...that may be true to a greater extent than other cities like those on the East and West Coasts, but rush hours are always very diverse and I feel that there are more people living near stations out of choice than there were, say, 10 years ago when I lived here last.  I'm car-free by choice and I feel that my transit options are pretty solid.  And I think that there's a growing number of people like me in town...especially on the West Side.  I would venture to say that this may be a result, at least in part, of the RTA's efforts to redevelop stations along the western route of the Red Line.

There is money waiting for the University Circle station and the Euclid-120th station.  The UC station will depend on the results of the re-design of the UC street grid (MLK, Stearns, Cedar, etc). I believe that the E. 120th station is awaiting Case's Triangle plans.  It seems that it will be located in between Euclid and Mayfield.   

wow, another oldie but a goodie......wasn't that study in 2002? but then again, i don't want to imagine the mess when/if reconstruction starts

Pope,

They announced a study two years ago.  It has gone thru two expansions (it was much smaller in scale before).  Funding for the study has just been secured.  Urban Design Associates is going to lead the design process starting in early October.  They should have some final recommendations in 6-9 months. 

Thanks for the link. I've updated the list at the top of this string. I hope to continue updating the list. If the pace of transit-friendly redevelopment picks up along the Red Line, the 10 percent ridership increases it's experienced in the last year or two could accelerate.

We have a tremendous, but untapped asset in this city -- one that will only increase in value as gas prices keep rising, the baby-boom generation ages and the "cool factor" of urban living spreads further among young people. But, unless the barriers to redeveloping around Rapid stations are removed, it will remain an opportunity missed. Let's keep the momentum moving forward.

KJP

• Love 1